5.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Story With Quirky Characters
Talk about strange job descriptions, Gabby St. Clair is a crime scene cleaner. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. She can restore a scene to, if not it's original appearance, at least to something the average person can look at without throwing up. At first this seems like a routine job, until Gabby turns up the murder weapon someone used to kill the wife of a...
Published on December 21, 2006 by Barbara Warren

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WAS DREADFUL
This book didn't have a clue what it wanted to be.

A sales pitch on Christianity? The Christian commentary was very bizarre. Just when you're starting to become interested in the storyline of the book, up pops this extremely irrelevant and out of context religious discussion. The jumps are so poorly done and are so extreme that it completely and effectively...
Published on April 10, 2012 by Convivial Kat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 469 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful and exciting from the beginning, December 13, 2013
This review is from: Hazardous Duty: Squeaky Clean Mysteries, Book 1 (Christian mystery) (Kindle Edition)
This is the kind of book that is hard to put down. Every page was exciting and couldn't wait to finish it. I am looking forward to reading more of this author books. I also appreciate a Christian author. Good clean reading. Thank you. Loved the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky CHaracters, Fun Story, Good Read, July 15, 2014
Gabby St. quit school one semester shy of becoming a forensic scientist when she dropped out in order to support her father after the death of her mother. She decided to start her own business as a crime scene cleaner so that she could work in a job that was related to her field of interest. While on a call, she discovered evidence that could clear the accused of murder and point the finger at a very public figure. Unfortunately, Officer Parker won’t listen to her. That same day someone tried to burn her alive at the scene of the murder and frame her assistant, so Gabby decided to take matters into her own hands and work the case herself.

Hazardous Duty is a mystery/suspense novel with romantic and humorous elements. This is also classified as a Christian novel. I found the Christian element to be fairly understated. The main character is not a Christian and in fact is turned off of Christianity. I think that non-Christians will not find the book too preachy.

Gabby is very strong-willed and opinionated. Her opinions and strong will often put her in danger as she does the opposite of what others advise her to do or what common sense suggests.

We are not shown much of the science that Gabby loves so much as a forensic scientist, but I believe that is because this novel is intended to be a cozy mystery and a light read. I did find it curious that several of the comments that Officer Parker made to Gabby sounded very threatening, and I think she probably could have charged him with threatening her, yet she still finds herself attracted to him. What does that say about her judgement?

I enjoyed the main characters in Hazardous Duty and happy to know that this is only the first of several in this series. I look forward to getting to know the characters better in each of the books in this series.

This novel was totally clean in language and free from sexual scenes.

There are lots of plot twists and surprises in this book and lots of good fun. I gave Hazardous Duty 3 stars out of 5. Lovers of cozy mysteries will enjoy this novel.

I got this book on Amazon in order to review it.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2014/07/book-review-hazardous-duty-by-christy.html

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and Fun, March 9, 2013
Totally enjoyed this read - not quite your typical mystery/romance. It stayed fairly unpredictable with laugh-out-loud characters and I-could-see-that-actually-happening scenes. Loved it, and look forward to more from Christy Barritt!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, August 9, 2012
The ending was predictible. I know that this is supposed to be Christian fiction but that theme feels forced and out of place. It isn't relative to the plot. I did enjoy the story inspite of the uneven writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free book that just got expensive, November 30, 2013
I got this book for free with a Book Bub daily deal. I loved it! I can't wait to read everything else she has written. I will definitely be buying the next book in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Exciting, December 11, 2012
HAZARDOUS DUTY by Christy Barritt is delightful. It’s about a young woman who cleans up crime scenes, which is a gory job, yes. But, this book doesn’t dwell on the gore, and the story takes off from the very beginning. Gabby and her only employee Harold are cleaning up a wealthy man’s mansion from the murder of his wife. Soon, there’s a fire, and Gabby barely escapes with her life.

Mrs. Barritt tells Gabby’s story with liberal amounts of humor, delightful accounts of Gabby’s unique neighbors, and a down-to-earth style I think anyone would love. This is a suspense mystery, and if you like to keep turning pages, this is as good as it gets. It’s told from Gabby’s wacky, sarcastic point of view. HAZARDOUS DUTY is light, fun, and different.

At the same time, this is a solidly Christian work. Mrs. Barritt understands hearts, and she knows how to expertly weave an intense story in a hilarious way. I will definitely seek out more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath Of Fresh Air, December 14, 2012
Hazardous Duty, for me, was a breath of fresh air. It wasn't gloom, doom, vampires or zombies like most books written these days. I won't go into the details as many others before me have done that. The subject matter was very interesting and the characters were well developed. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. Those who thought the Christian references were too much, were you reading the same book I was reading? It was tastefully approached and discussed by the characters and was not preachy or overdone. I loved the characters and hated for the book to end. I definitely will be reading more of this series and more of Christy Barritt's work. Maybe you've never heard of a crime scene cleaner but they are out there and you learn first hand what they do in this book. This book has it all: life's challenges, romance, mystery, drama, and God's loving guidance. What more could you ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this series, August 14, 2013
I don't usually write reviews for books that I haven't been given to review but I enjoyed this series so much, I just wanted to give a shout out. I picked up this book because it was a suggestion from another book I read and since book one was a 99 cent Kindle buy, I figured I'd give it a try. I finished book one and immediately proceeded to books two and three.

The story is well thought out with great characters who are growing slowly. What I liked about this Christian fiction is that it was not the typical plot line. Character doesn't know God, character turns to him during the course of the book and all ends happily every after. No, Christy Barritt takes her time developing both the conversion story and the love story. As a matter of fact, it happens over a few books.

Well thought out and well written. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series this winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars HazadousDuty, December 10, 2013
I enjoyed Gaby's adventures in her job. Riley helped her tremendously. I loved how she stood on her own two feet and was very inquisitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars absorbing and fun!, December 13, 2013
This book was so well written! It was "squeaky clean" but never boring. The plot changed so many times that it was never boring!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 469 | Next ›