Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on April 15, 2014
Gabby wanted to be a forensic scientist but had to drop out of college her senior year. Now she owns a cleaning business that specializes in crime scene cleanup. But Gabby can't help looking for clues to the crimes that the police missed and someone wants her dead because of what she finds. Good characters and what looks to be a fun series. I will be reading more.
on May 20, 2014
I enjoyed this one, and was actually surprised at both the solution to the mystery and the outcome of the storyline. It was very well copy edited and free of annoying grammar issues. I didn't feel that the Christian aspect was overdone or hijacking he story.

However, there were a couple of character development and plot development issues. The character of Parker was confusing in the extreme. And (spoiler alert) there was a problem around the garage incident. Gabby tries to think who the assailant could be and thinks about the mechanic finding her body, but the next day she's called to identify a suspect, who is the mechanic. There's no indication of why he's the suspect nor whether she is identifying him as the one who hired her or as her assailant. That said, still an entertaining read.
on April 4, 2012
I have read this multiple times. Love the twists and turns through out the book. Gabby can always make a reader laugh with her witty comments. This is a must read for everyone and I recommend to friends and co-wokers.
on November 13, 2014
This book was poorly written. There are numerous grammatical errors. Also, there are jumps in the plot line.
on February 19, 2015
“Whistling a tune from Fiddler on the Roof, I used my tweezers to work a piece of Gloria Cunningham’s skull out of the sky blue wall.” I’ve got to be honest with you, I live for snarky opening one liners like that. All the better if the rest of the book flows that way, as this one did. That’s my definition of a real winner. But I’m partial to a hefty dose of humor infusing my drama, without necessarily overtaking it. Think the Lethal Weapons franchise, or the movie Fargo, and you’ll understand what I mean. Though, sticking with more appropriate book references, suffice to say this is a comedic mystery, belonging to a rather venerated and well-established sub-genre under the even more overly competitive umbrella of suspense/thriller/mystery writing. I don’t envy anyone trying to stick out from the pile of books generated each year in this category, and I certainly can’t blame anyone for going sub-genre as a defensive maneuver. Niche worked for lawyers when there started to be too many of them, so why not?

The approach taken here: coming at a mystery from the crime scene cleanup crew angle. Not too many folks think to do that; that much blood and gore can be a turnoff. But, in capable hands, you can’t argue that it’s a smart play, because less competition means a chance to corner the market. And if it turns out someone hates the book, it’s not like they can say, “I read scores of these books, so I ought to know good from bad.” Nope, buddy, you surely don’t and you surely can’t. Again, smart.

Pound for pound, I’ve read some comedic mysteries that were even more packed with belly laughs, which is why I went with 4 stars on this one, but it’s quite good.
on March 21, 2015
My wife had been needling me on my choice of books. She asked if I had a problem with reading a book where the woman is the hero. So, to find out I picked out a couple for a test run. This one was recommended by her, and I thought the concept of a crime scene clean-up business be the center of solving mysteries sounded, shall I say, entertaining to me. After all, I followed the adventures of Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote) and Miss Marple (Agatha Christie). Why wouldn’t this work?

Christy Barritt developed her character of Gabby in this first of the series book to make me say that she is a perfect match for this line of work. The other characters developed their respect for her skills and insights at an appropriate rate toward the plot twist and revelation of the perpetrator, leaving the reader cheering and pleased.

I enjoyed the characters, the story, the readability, and watching it all play out. If there is anything I object to, it is the attempts on Gabby’s life. The first seemed to be an unfortunate accident. The second was understandable, but the third was a stretch. Then there had to be a fourth. First one was one of those don’t-open-that-door moments. You know what I mean: only the character fails to see the folly in her action. The second gave a perfect set-up for her escape. I’ll skip the third. The fourth was back to making perfect sense as it brought us to the climax.
In summary, yes my dear wife, I enjoyed it and am interested in book #2 of the series. Thanks for steering me to it.
on April 17, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has humor, suspense, romance and a clear story of God's work in somebody's life. The characters are real - the atheist/agnostic is searching, the Christian has enough humanity to be believable, but enough grace to be Christlike. Warning - once you read it you'll want to read all the others in this set - I do!
on April 7, 2015
This was a fun book with some murder, mystery, romance, and a touch of religion. I give it 4 stars because it is a bit simple (and the anti-evolution statements were annoying from people who were supposedly scientists). But this is an early book from this author and I read a more recent one that really reminded me of Janet Evanovich. So I think this author is growing into a real winner in the fun mystery category.
on March 22, 2015
Giving five stars for books of this genre. I enjoy reading " who dun its " but find most of them impossible to finish due to foul language, poor writing, explicit sex . This has none of these, and held my interest. Looking forward to the next one in the series.
on March 6, 2016
It is such a pleasure to read a pretty good mystery without the graphic sex or profanity. I know the words but don't use the words and I prefer not to see them in print. It leads me to believe the author has a very limited vocabulary and I probably don't need to read their book. I enjoyed Hazardous Duty by Christy Barritt and I am looking forward to reading more of her books. The book was fun and entertaining, I liked her characters and like the fact she also wrote books for some of them. It is too bad my grandchildren don't enjoy the art of reading. Thank you Christy.