5.0 out of 5 stars Maid to order
It seems odd that most of the middle-class television families from the 1950s and 1960s had housekeepers. Since most mothers stayed at home anyway, what did they do? Oh well, maybe the housekeepers were there for entertainment value or moral support and Hazel, everybody's favorite, has finally made her way to dvd!

Based on the Saturday Evening Post cartoons of...
Published on June 13, 2006 by Phillip Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars My wife likes this series -
Cute in places, but Hazel is still annoying. My wife wanted this because she enjoyed watching it when she was younger.
Published 19 months ago by T. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Maid to order, June 13, 2006
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)

Based on the Saturday Evening Post cartoons of Ted Key, Hazel is the highly opinionated and lovable maid to the Baxter family - successful lawyer George Baxter ("Mr. B."), his wife Dorothy and their son Harold. Hazel keeps the family in line and pretty much runs the household with her no-nonsense and matter-of-fact approach to life.

Hazel premiered on NBC in September of 1961 on Thursday nights and ran for five seasons (the final season was shown on CBS). Broadway and film star Shirley Booth (who won an Oscar for "Come Back Little Sheba") is the endearment of Hazel and she won 2 Emmys during the series run. This was Booth's first foray into television - however, she was not the first choice for the part. Famous character actress Thelma Ritter was first considered and she wanted the part badly but had to back out due to health problems. Booth made Hazel one of the most memorable characters on television and the show was extremely popular in its day.

The first season's shows include: #1 Hazel and the Playground, #2 Hazel Makes a Will, #3 Hazel Plays Nurse, #4 A Matter of Principle, #5 Dorothy's New Client, #6 What'll We Watch Tonight?, #7 A Dog for Harold, #8 George's Niece, #9 Everybody's Thankful But Us Turkeys, #10 Winter Wonderland, #11 Hazel's Winning Personality, #12 Hazel's Christmas Shopping, #13 Dorothy's Obsession, #14 Hazel's Dog Days, #15 Replacement for Phoebe, #16 Hazel's Famous Recipes, #17 Hazel's Tough Customer, #18 Hazel's Secret Wish, #19 Hazel, the Tryst Buster, #20 The Investment Club, #21 Hazel's Mona Lisa Grin, #22 Hazel and the Gardener, #23 Dorothy's Birthday, #24 Number, Please?, #25 Them New Neighbors is Nice, #26 Hazel's Pajama Party, #27 Three Little Cubs, #28 Bringing Out the Johnsons, #29 Hazel Quits, #30 Hazel the Matchmaker, #31 Rock-a-Bye Baby, #32 The Burglar in Mr. B's P.J.'s, #33 Heat Wave, #34 George's Assistant, #35 Hazel's Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Shirley Booth Stars in One of the Early '60's Biggest TV Hits, April 28, 2007
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I don't think I'd seen a HAZEL episode since the early 1970's when I was ten or so before buying this DVD set. I had always enjoyed the show, mainly because of the superb actress Shirley Booth, who was always good and appealing in everything she ever did. What surprised me is how genuinely funny HAZEL was! I was expecting something along the lines of a gentle little drama masquerading as a sitcom ala FATHER KNOWS BEST, OZZIE AND HARRIET, DONNA REED, and other "family comedies" shows of the period. HAZEL, however, is full of hilarious comments and situations - there's not an episode on this DVD that didn't make me laugh!

Miss Booth stars as an irrepressible maid who is not only a full member of the household she is employed with but something of the grande dame (emphasis on dame) of the neighborhood - often pitching in and working in neighbor's homes!! Hazel knows everybody and everybody knows Hazel. Greeting everyone with an earthy charm (and often a plate of food), Hazel never met a situation she didn't take a personal interest in and try to fix - occasionally with temporarily diasterious results. It's hard to think of another actress who could pull off this surprisingly complex role, certainly not the wonderful Thelma Ritter whom reportedly was the first choice. Ritter would have been in keeping with the caustic Hazel of the single panel SATURDAY EVENING POST cartoons but she could have never played this television Hazel, who is warm, empathic, and generous and whose wisecracks are never malicious barbs (when Hazel makes a remark about her boss' expanding waistline it's out of concern, not a fat joke). Shirley Booth's Hazel is the beloved middle-aged lady who seems not to understand when to back off, but whose intentions are so good you always forgive her and whose common sense is so strong more often than not she's on the money.

The whole cast is wonderful - incredibly beautiful Whitney Blake (a Kim Novak lookalike) as "Missy", whom Hazel has cared for since childhood, Don DeFore as Blake's husband, George Baxter, who at times resents Hazel's "helping" hand, and little Bobby Buntrock as their son Harold. Also of note in semi-regular roles are character actresses Maudie Prickett (as Hazel's best friend, neighborhood maid Rosie) and Norma Varden (as the elderly, affluent next-door-neighbor utterly incapable of doing anything for herself).

Yes, HAZEL evokes a happier era when life was more comfortable and less complicated for many (minorities and people of less affluence might disagree) but still this was almost half a century ago and the world does move on, sometimes for the better but not always. It's a bit bittersweet to me watching this program and knowing all the major cast have now gone on like the very era itself but the warm humor and vivid friendliness of this wonderful program makes revisiting the world of the Baxters a very delightful experience. I can't wait for Season Two - and the later ones as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars STILL THE BEST, August 27, 2006
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I first saw Hazel on cable back in the 80's. It is very funny. Hazel plays a clever maid who tries to straighten things out with hilarious results. Everything works out for the best by the end of the show. I just bought Season 1 DVD of Hazel. The DVD quality is superb with the original theme and closing credits intact. My family loves this collection and we look forward to Season 2. Funny, clever, and clean family entertainment for all ages. Who can ask for more?

5.0 out of 5 stars HAZEL FAN's NEED SEASON-2, September 18, 2007
Peter Friend (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Hazel is the best classic TV series on DVD I have ever bought and I've got them all.
The episode stories are fantastic and Hazel is brilliant. The video and audio is quality, we just need more series.
SO COME ON SONY PICTURES RELEASE SEASON-2 AND THE OTHERS NOW!!! PLEASE!!!
-From the biggest Hazel fan in Australia

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The Greats...., August 8, 2006
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I Had Heard Of HAZEL Growing Up But Somehow Never Saw An Episode...Well, All That Has Changed!! I Have Been Completely Enchanted By Hazel & Co. The Picture & Sound Are Wonderful, The Show Took Me A Few Episodes To Get Into But Once I Did I Truly Enjoyed Every Episode. So If It's A Show You Loved For Years Or Like Me Have Never Seen The Show Til Now...It's Great Family Entertainment!!! Bring On Season Two!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh for Pete's Sake, where's season 2?, July 4, 2007
William Smith (Fontana, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Somewhere in my past I had seen this; more than likely the early 90's when I had cable:) So I Netflixed Disc One just to bring myself up to speed and make sure the set was a worthy purchase.. wow. Hazel is so genuine, funny, and sincere I would feel guilt for not owning this set. Certain shows just seem to not only hold up but actually somehow become BETTER with time; that's our Hazel. Throw in a perfectly perplexed "Mr. B.", a charming and disarming wife , a child that doesn't mug for the camera and you have a sure fire hit. Sadly, I get a sinking feeling there will be NO season 2 without someone out there making waves just the way Hazel would. Please do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hazel - Shirley Booth was the best!!!!, March 14, 2007
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
This is a great old TV show. I'm 32, and have loved Hazel ever since my parents bought me a Hazel Christmas VHS years ago. You can't help but love Shirley Booth - she had a joy about her that was incredible to watch. This set is at an awesome price for so many episodes! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. If the studio is reading these posts....GIVE US SEASON 2 - AND ALL THE REST!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas in August, August 5, 2006
Guilaume Charpentier "Guillaume" (washington, dc United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I'm so happy that "Hazel" is on DVD....I always wondered why it wasn't released on DVD sooner. I wasn't alive when the show first aired but I recall seeing it in reruns in the early 90s here in Washington, D.C. and sometimes on WOR on cable......I loved the show and have wanted to see it again ever since. After watching all of these 35 episodes (most of which I've never seen before), I can't help but hope that this reissue does well enough that the manufacturer will put the rest of the episodes on DVD.....

I don't even care that I can hardly find anything to watch on cable. All i have to do is whip this or my "I Love Lucy" DVD out........

5.0 out of 5 stars Hazel the housekeeper/maid, June 2, 2006
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
I'm so thrilled to hear about Hazel Season One being released on DVD August 1st. Shirley Booth gives a brilliant well deserved Emmy (she won two emmys for Best Actress) for her performance as Hazel the housekeeper and live in Maid to baxter household family. This comedy show is my all time favorite from the sixties decades. Hazel is my favorite housekeeper!!

I will be looking forward getting Hazel First Season DVD as well as other four seasons hopefully Sony will release those seasons real soon. I like to see Hazel release in color or Black and White - just want to add this TV series to my TV DVD Collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic that should be enjoyed over and Over again, August 17, 2007
This review is from: Hazel - The Complete First Season (DVD)
The Heck with the idea "Father Knows Best"..Try "Maid knows Best/"

Shirley Booth plays a wise talking, busy-body, people loving maid Hazel. If you never seen this show before , its a treat! This was the days (early 1960s) where families had dinner at the dinner table in the evening. No one talked a bad word. Life was simpler and easy. Hazel was a throw back to this time and era

The Baxters (that's MR & Mrs B to you) were played by Don Defore and Whitney Blake. They and their son Harold were lead by Hazel, who in her meddling ways, always had their best interests at heart

What made this show fun was Booth herself. Her way was the cause of each episode and made this show so watchable. Booth was NO Lucy, but with the supporting cast, you tended to want to root her on in whatever she did!

These episodes were a full 25 minutes long and sometimes it seemed as if the shows was slightly padded, but it works so well and does not date itself so much, so you never notice..unless you look so carefully like me!

It is well worth your time and money to get this first season collection

Bennet Pomerantz AUDIOWORLD

Hazel - The Complete First Season
Hazel - The Complete First Season by William D. Russell (DVD - 2006)
$19.99 $15.32