Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

VINE VOICEon September 6, 2009
There's no denying it: BCI Eclipse had some incredible animated titles that risked becoming forever lost to the archives of time once the company was forced to shut its doors this past year. Fortunately Mill Creek Entertainment, which by the way is distributed by BCI's parent company, Navarre, has acquired the rights to bring many of BCI's titles to the home market once more. Even more impressive still is that these sets will be packaged up and sold as complete box sets (rather than individual season releases).

In the case of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, this set represents the complete 2002-series release by Mike Young Corporation. Coming in at a total runtime of 960 minutes, this set spans 4 discs and contains the same clear-plastic slipcase and artwork-style as the previous BCI releases.

The extras contained are only slightly less thorough than the individual season releases and include:
End of Episodes Morals
Interviews with Toyline Artists from Mattel and The Four Horsemen
12 audio commentaries
Scripts for episodes 1-40
A PDF Comic Book for unproduced episode #40

Notably missing from this set are the original art cards (a pair was included in each of the three season releases).

Now let's take a look at the show itself:

Fans are treated to what many consider the most accurate and exciting rendition of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe saga. Debuting in 2002 under the Mike Young Productions umbrella, this latest rendition of the He-Man source material closely follows the original Filmation standard set in the early 1980s with modernized animation quality and in-depth stories that further built upon the original characters and environments. The first season consisted of the following 26 episodes:

The Beginning Part 1
The Sweet Smell of Victory
Separation
The Council of Evil Part 1
The Council of Evil Part 2

Season two consisted of the following thirteen:

The Last Stand
Web of Evil
Rattle of the Snake
History
Awaken the Serpent

In case you're just tuning in, no this isn't the Filmation version of the show so many of us recall with warm fuzzies from our youth. This is in fact the third (and most recent) animated iteration of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. Produced for Cartoon Network by Mike Young
Productions, this version ran from 2002 until 2004 where it went for two full seasons (26 in the first season, 13 in the second). Along the way it managed to snag a very well deserved Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Editing (2004).

While there are few who could argue successfully that anything could replace the original Filmation series, Mike Young Productions managed to capture all of the elements that made the original so successful and to bring them up to modern standards of animation quality, sound work, and script writing. As a result the mythos had been brought to an entirely new generation of fans while simultaneously pleasing fans of the original.

Without giving too much away (I hate spoilers personally), I will say that the origins of Snake Mountain will begin to unfold in the second-half of the first season in addition to the complete origin of the Dark Hemisphere which imprisons Skeletor and his minions. New characters are plentiful as well and contain some slick back-story efforts, which make even the original Mattel toys a lot more desirable. Among the notables includes the stories of Two-Bad, Cobra Kahn, Cyclone, Roboto, Moss Man, Zodak, and Stinkor. Many of these characters were never fully fleshed out in the original show (if they appeared at all) and would have remained only in the imaginations of those who played with the toys if not for the spectacular effort here. We are also treated to a couple of new looks for He-Man himself including an amped up version of he and Skeletor in combat and his ever impressive winter gear which includes a flowing fur cape and a heavy battle ax.

The Snakemen element introduced in the first season develops into sheer brilliance in the second (and unfortunately final) season! Not to insinuate that the Masters didn't have their hands full as it was with Skeletor and his minions, this time around the threats to peace and justice come in from all angles in the form of the Skeletor and company, the Snake Men, and the Evil Horde! Yes, you read that correctly- She-Ra's arch nemesis, Hordak, who just so happens to have been Skeletor's mentor, shows up in Season 2 within Skeletor's origin story that finally ties all of the loose threads of Mattel's franchise together once and for all.

I often like to wonder what ground Mike Young's team would have covered had the show continued. Would they have expanded to include He-Man's sister (She-Ra's) story arc? Could have writer Larry DeTillio revisited some of his wise dragon influence? A shame that we'll probably never know.

All in all, the show simply continued to build upon the foundation first set by Filmation in the 1980s and thanks to Mill Creek Entertainment, can be yours in its entirety for the cost of each of the single season releases.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2011
Like so many people here, I'm a fan of the original Filmation He-Man series, and was quite skeptical about ordering this 2002 version. But the price was almost unbelievably low (still is as of this writing) for the entire series, so I figured I'd take a chance. And I'm glad I did, because this He-Man is actually a very good series. True, it lacks some of the lighthearted tone and cheerful optimism of the original, but the fact is, the animation is a LOT better. Almost old the old characters are here, just with more modern makeovers. I also like the fact that Prince Adam and He-Man really seem like two different characters, rather than the Clark Kent/Superman-style not-so-secret identity used in the original show.

As a hardcore fan of these characters, I'll always prefer the original series. It was, after all, the last fully American hand-drawn animated series produced by a major studio. Most every action cartoon since has been influenced by highly-overrated Japanese "anime" (this is apparent in the fight scenes of this series, though no where near as prevalent as it is in the 1990 The New Adventures of He-Man, Vol. 1). But if you'll give the 2002 series a try, you might find that it's really not SO different after all.
on February 2, 2011
I often put things in my shopping cart, intending to save them for later, and I accidentally bought this along with other items - without remembering I'd purchased it! It's the first time I've ever done that in all my years on Amazon, and I was rolling my eyes when it arrived instead of something else I had expected (it had just been a whim on a childhood memory). Well, I finally popped in the DvD just to take a peek, and I ended up watching the whole thing. What a great mistake!

Wow! The art quality is wonderful and story actually has continuity. Most of my favorite characters are back in action, and we get a lot of Evil-Lyn action (one of my faves) not to mention an incredible amount of backstory. We see some awesome flashbacks and if you're a fan of the series I think you'll have a lot of "ohhhh, that's cool" moments. The morals are even kind of fun... in a cheesy, wah wah wah sort of way (but it also made me feel good, like being a kid again).

It's cheap, too, so do yourself a favor and pick it up.
on April 30, 2009
My husband and I both grew up watching He-man, so we were thrilled to find the complete set on DVD for a fantastic price, for our son. The shows are just as we remembered and the quality is fantastic.
on December 16, 2009
I happen to be a huge He man fan as I grew up in the 80s and have seen every He Man incarnation cartoon show since then. This new He Man TV Series is well produced with great storylines and animation and although it's not as good as the original animated show from the 80s it still manages to be very enjoyable. Highly recommended for all He Man fans.
on November 7, 2012
I grew up watching He-Man in the 80s. As an adult looking back at those 1980's episodes, they are extremely corny almost to the point that they're unwatchable.

The 2002 version of the show is a great new take on this classic story. The creators stayed very true to the original canon, which will satisfy your nostalgia. The animation is better, the story line has better continuity, and the character development is much more in-depth. This whole series is geared toward the adults who watched the 80's version as kids. They even kept the "life lesson" part at the end of each show.
The "secret identity" is a heck of a lot more convincing than the 80's version, as here Prince Adam is a teenage kid that lacks many of the admirable qualities of He-Man. As such, he struggles with his role as Prince Adam when the fighting starts, which adds an adult layer to the show.

I don't usually submit reviews but I saw that there were a couple low-scoring ones. Frankly, this shocked me enough to submit my own. This series is outstanding.
Yes, there are anime-style action shots.
Yes, the overall theme of the show is slightly darker than the 80's version, but the old shows were too over-the-top happy anyway.
This discussion is all relative, of course; the 2002 series was a Saturday-morning cartoon and is very kid-friendly.

They managed to keep it kid-friendly while targeting the young(ish) adult audience.

My kids love this show and so do I. You will too.
on January 12, 2012
If you love the original Masters of the Universe series by Filmation, you'll definitely love this collection! The animation is top notch and the stories are very well done. I bought it for an extremely low sale price and its among my favorite amazon purchases!
on August 30, 2011
Still working through the series, but we are enjoying it and you can't beat the price we paid. If you are a fan of the original, be sure to check this out.
on January 5, 2010
This is the full series DVD set. Includes the first 10 episodes that were released separately in a previous release, so you will NOT have to purchase both to have a complete set. I have enjoyed this incarnation of the classic TV cartoon show. The show does have a lot of action, and there are definite separations between the good and bad characters in the show. The good guys are very good and the bad guys are evil. The character profiles and morals (or lack of morals) are well defined.

I do have some warnings for parents looking to buy this for there kids. The last 10 or so episodes are pretty violent, dark, and can be pretty severe for young children. Some anonymous characters are killed or more specifically "eaten" by the main antagonist. This seemed pretty gruesome to me but Judge for yourselves; watch them with your kids to evaluate the content or answer questions your kids may have. There are some minor occult references and many references to mysticism. I don't recommend this video for children under 6 years old.

Even with the previously mentioned violence, I'm pleased with my purchase and glad to add this to my cartoon collection.
on July 9, 2011
DVD itself:
Much like the entire Greatest American Hero series releasse, this will have a bunch of CDs inside a black paper cd holder one atop the other. I wont complain on how it was packaged,this time, because of the price I got it, this is pure GOLD! Contains a PDF comic, interviews audio comentaries and other neat stuff to look forward to, like the episode morals ( hehe and nknowing is half the... no thats another series. Nice! View all this for a nice bargain. I will be enjoying this allot! Just so you know there is another set out there that contains but only a few episodes, I believe its the first 10. Not hapy about that, but I am VERY happy about this.

If you like a remake of a series done properly , unlike the crappy new Voltron series where they blew production money on the CGI and not the bad 2d animation, watch this. I can compare the Eternin universe to "Krull", "thundercats", "Thundar the barbarian"
where technology meets the dark ages... Dark Crystal maybe? Its a great show, that shows origins to it's main cast, even origins of a few of the masters. It features great fight scenes and truly evil villains, like in the original comics, not like how lame Skeletor was
being goofy and incompetent, here he is a real threat. I don't mean to rag on the original, but even as a kid I knew the little comic
was what I wanted and not a long toy comercial, I am being honest. vindication! I loved those comics that came with the first figures.
Sure the last ark was not as good as some other episodes, but it was allright. It's better than the new Voltron series which just feels like they blew their cash on CGI, wrote a fanfic, and later used cheap 2d animation for the rest... all remade shows should learn from this one. This is my personal opinion and you are welcome to watch the forementioned series I compared this with, and write your pros and cons, get mad at me, quote from the Dolph Lundgren version, yadda yadda. I just felt like sharing my opinion. I still recomend this and much like "The Greatest American Hero" I will rewatch it over and over. :D

ThIS is Kamen mystery boy, saying, I spelled my own name wrong, and you just viewed my review!
s,Á,Ä,«,Ü,·! Ittekimasu <-- hey look I pasted this from google! XD