Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Grip Size: 4 3/8|Change

on April 23, 2014
Basically, I'm a 58 year old recreational 4.5 NTSC player in the states and 30/2 player in France -- which is better than most, worse than many.

What I use and why: After MUCH experimentation using my own racquet stringing machine and lots of different strings and racquets, I found what works best for me and for many of my friends is this liquid metal 8 racquet restrung with Luxilon Original Rough string -16 gauge (1.30mm diameter) and strung at a shockingly low 33 pounds of tension (instead of the usual 55 lbs recommended). Even 35 pounds was a bit too high as it sent balls sailing too far for me. After a couple hours of use, the strings are broken in and stable and work well for me for about 60 hours playing time or 3 months at 5 hours a week on the courts. When the strings stop recentering themselves after each shot, it's time to restring again at this low tension. Never broke a string yet this way and even though it's a poly string, at 33 lbs it's very easy on the elbow and shoulder. NOTE on stringing tension and how it works: Most tennis guys know stringing at higher tension generally reduces power, but improves accuracy, touch, feel and control. Sampras used about 75 lbs but broke strings alot. Federer strings at about 48 - 52 lbs. Both had best accuracy of shots in their eras. However, it has been discovered that once you go roughly below 35 lbs (say 30 to 33 lbs) stringing tension, power again diminishes to what is useful (not too much) and touch and accuracy come back. In addition, to those who are older or concerned about tennis elbow or wrist issues, low tension is really great. I also got rid of the built-in vibration damper on the racquet (didn't like it) and instead use a Wilson Vibrafun damper which looks nice and works great and stays in place.

No racquet will turn a newbie into a pro, but a decent racquet definitely helps improve your game. Had one match against the best player in my state, knowing I'd get wholloped, but glad to try. Basically, this racquet gave me a fighting chance once in a rally (we split long rally points about equally), because with it I could react very quickly due to the light weight and the power this racquet has (due to the 112 sq. inch head) allowed me to make quick and powerful defensive shots I simply have no hope to make with my other racquets. Also, everyone comments that my serves are more powerful with this racquet as are my forehand power shots (when my game is on). I had NO aces against this awesome player and didn't even win one game in two sets, but had one game on my serve go to deuce 5 times and even had a game point, but choked on an easy put away shot. Still, it was a fun time and I felt strangely competitive against a much better player.

Anyway, I realize this is now priced in the budget category at $85., but do yourself a favor and buy this for the same price but where they throw-in free restringing and you just pay for the string (saves you about $15. stringing charge). Pay the $15. - $20. extra for the Luxilon Original Rough and give it a try at my recommended "sweet spot" of 33 lbs tension. Tennis Warehouse and Tennis Express both offer free stringing, if I recall correctly. I've seen this racquet on sale for as low as $75. with free re-stringing (great deal!).

Grip size recommendations: grip size is very important, too. Basic rule of thumb: use the smallest grip which feels comfortable in your hand. Basically, a man who wears a medium to large leather glove will be a 4 3/8, extra-large workglove, a 4 1/2 and mitts like a bear might need a 4 5/8. Men who fit a medium to small work glove will want a 4 1/4 and ladies wearing a small ladies glove will want a 4 1/8. When in doubt, order 1/8 size smaller than you think and buy a $2.00 "grip size increaser", but don't have them put it on -- just have it handy if you find you need to step up a size. If you find you need to step down a size, it's not so much fun, but remove the thick, padded (nice) grip covering and replace it with thin competition (blue) tape. That will drop it about 1/8" for you, give you even better feel of the handle and shots, but not be as comfortable to hold.

This racquet is best for those who really don't prefer to set-up and take huge swings at the ball, but prefer to use more compact swings while retaining power and good accuracy. It has the power due to the large head and being head heavy, to hit serves and forehands with lots of power, make great, quick and deep defensive shots, light enough to feel agile at the net and when strung as I recommend, gives nice feel for drop shots, strings which don't break and last a LONG time and easy on the elbow and wrist and shoulder. So, what's not to like?

Thought I'd be searching forever for a better racquet, but all my opponents agree, this one, strung with Luxilon Original Rough at 33 lbs, it the best one for me. I have no desire to search further. Tennis anyone? *@*
44 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2006
This is my second Tennis racket, i have the Wilson US Open as a beginner and played with it for a year. I have been playing with the Head LiquidMetal 8 for a week now and i have to say it is amazing. Extremely light(on the UPS scale stringed it weighed .60 lbs) and packed with a punch this racket has increased my confidence level tremendously, i can't blame anything on the racket anymore so i try extra hard and have definitely improved a lot in just a week. Look and feel of the racket is definitely a plus, it has the integrated vibration dampers so you can't lose it while playing. Comes with a full cover in Black and Silver/Gray to match the racket. I got this with Free Shipping through Amazon - MidWest Sports - with no tax, even the stores can't beat that. Got the Racket and 2 cans of Balls delivered at my door for what other stores are selling only the racket for.

Amazon is the best, i am completely satisfied with the whole experience.
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2008
Just getting back to tennis after many years following shoulder injury. Previous A Grade Comp player - now just social tennis. Bought Head Liquidmetal 8 racquet online through Amazon and it was delivered to my address in Sydney Australia in about one week. Excellent racquet to play with, huge sweet spot, feels light and well balanced with minimal vibration transmitted. A very smooth transaction, excellent racquet and good experience generally.
on October 24, 2008
Very good racquet with a perfect blend of power and control. It is best suited for intermediate players, but improving beginners as well as advanced players will find it is a nice racquet to play with. The only time I found it a bit difficult to control was when I was trying to hit the ball really hard and heavy or at the net when given very little time for volley. Otherwise it performs really well at the net, as well as in other parts of the court. It is light and feels right in the hand. Very good deal for this price.
on May 26, 2011
I first bought this racquet 2 years ago and it was extremely powerful.The large head ensures that it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to not hit the sweet spot.My wife was playing in a USTA league and needed a better racquet,so I gave it to her and it helped her game as well.After that I bought a Prince that was a bit lighter and used it for about 4 months and watched My son run me off the court using my wife's Liquidmetal 8 after Thanksgiving last year,so I decided to buy another Liquidmetal 8 in Jan.This racquet is a keeper,although I would like to get the Liquidmetal 4 to see if it is true that it has a little more control than the 8.This is AN EXCELLENT RACQUET for intermediate and higher players. When My wife and I both hit with the Liquidmetal 8 the sounds are more like Sampras vs. Agassi or Venus vs.Serena.AN EXCELLENT VALUE!!!

After hitting weekly with my wife for most of the spring/summer. I see that this racquet is top notch.The only other racquets that I could be interested in that have the Liquidmetals balance of power and control are the Head Youtek IG Speed Elite/Lite models.Whether or not I decide to use one of those racquets I am sure going to purchase another Liquidmetal 8 as a backup racquet for myself soon.A wonderful racquet.

After buying 2 Liquidmetal 4 racquets and a Youtek Speed 300.I had both of my Liquidmetal 8's strung at 57 lbs and gave one to my wife,and the other to my son.Dont get me wrong,the Speed is an excellent racquet,but I dont think that it's the one for me.I am in the process of deciding whether to purchase one,or 2 more Liquidmetal 8's for myself.Sometimes you can't stray too far from Home!!!
on July 14, 2011
As a casual tennis player, I'm not too familiar with the intricacies that make up a good racket. I can say however that my game, however bad it was before, has improved quite a bit with the purchase of this racket. My returns and serves have much more power now and the racket is much lighter. This racket makes a good transition if you started with those cheap store-bought beginner rackets and ready to move on.
on February 5, 2015
Everyone has a different style of play. This racquet has plenty of power which can be better controlled by stringing at a higher tension than as comes w/racquet (57lbs). The string that came w/racquet is poor and should be replaced ASAP. Cosmetics are fine and racquet is true to specs.
on June 1, 2015
Really like this racquet. Based on my recreational level of play, I find it better suited for doubles, although I do fair in singles. Stiff frame, but sweet spot somewhat generous with a good string (what came with the racquet was fair). Has a good feel (for me) whether off a full stroke or volley. Will buy another (maybe two) and immediately re-string. Never know when they decide to stop making these...
on November 30, 2015
Bought it as a present for my husband. Used it a few times myself. In my opinion, a good racquet for an advanced beginner/intermediate tennis player. (I played high school tennis and then recreational afterwards). I normally use more of a power racquet (as I am more of a control player), but I was still able to play pretty well with it. It has a decent size sweet spot and is lightweight (although not the lightest). It fits my husband pretty well as he leans to more balanced racquets than I do.

It does not come with a cover. Head stopped including the cover awhile ago.
on September 12, 2009
This racket is light, but firm and powerful, and I've been playing with it for years. I can highly recommend it.