5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of "hidden" value
At first glance, this book appears to be simply an illustration of a kids song. Some reviewers have complained that that's all there is..so why buy it. But actually, there is a lot more there if you look.

Published on September 29, 2008 by Nicki Heskin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Whole Lot to This Book
Published 7 months ago by molu

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of "hidden" value, September 29, 2008
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)

First of all, while illustrated songs seem like an odd choice sometimes to adults, little kids LOVE them. Invariably, they are the ones my two year old brings to me again and again. They are also the first books that kids are able to memorize. This is important because they like to pull them out when they are playing independently, and model reading on their own. What a satisfying experience for a pre-reader! Plus, for parents for whom it doesn't come as naturally to bring music into their children's lives, these sorts of books are a great way to do so.

This book does an excellent job of being really clear with the pictures lining up the words and the body parts. The first line, she gives each body part it's very own page, so that they can be large and really obvious -- the little animal on the page mirroring the same body part as the baby is also very adorable.

When she gets to eyes, ears, mouth and nose, she adds another dimension by putting in item on the page that you can do with that body part -- for eyes - books, for ears - baby instruments, for mouth - baby food and sippy cup, and for nose - flowers. So there is a discussion element if you are reading this with your baby and choose to take it.

The back of the book has the last "knees and toes" echo...pretty cute, and also has the whole song written out under a staff with musical notes. My older daughter has taken to grabbing this 'baby' book and asking how to pluck it out on her little piano keyboard. So the book can have a second life for that purpose later on.

The pictures of the babies are endearing.. I love their happy little faces. It is worth noting that while the babies are definitely different "shades" -- it's hardly what I'd call multi-cultural, which is a shame because there's no reason why it couldn't have been. She did throw in a couple girls.

All and all, if the multicultural issue doesn't concern you, I'd recommend this highly for your own little on, or for a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic song, April 30, 2007
K. Creek (Potland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
My husband and I were trying to teach out daughter where her eyes, nose, mouth etc were. My husband has never heard this song so it was hard for him to do with our daughter. I found this book and now this is daddy's book to read. within a week our daughter knows where her body parts are and how to say and she loves reading it with her dad. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandson's favorites, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
Because of the utter simplicity of this book, I was surprised at how quickly it became one of my grandson's favorite books (along with the Row, Row, Row Your Boat, by the same author.) I guess babies all enjoy looking at other babies. I have since ordered these two books for my friend's granddaughter, and she had the same reaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love!, August 9, 2007
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
I purchased this book for my son when he was 15 months old and he loves this book. He brings it to me to read to him over and over again. The illustrations are fun, he loves the song, and he knows all the body parts now. Many times I have seen him flipping through the book on his own "studying" the pictures. Given I don't usually pay to buy new books that cost more than a dollar or two, this one was definately worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Whole Lot to This Book, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
There isn't much to this book except for the very cute and colorful illustrations. The story line, if you want to even call it that, is just the lyrics of the "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song put into a board book format with pictures to illustrate. The book is short and doesn't have a whole lot to it. My baby still enjoys the pictures but she enjoys all her books. This book is quite large for a baby board book and isn't easy to hold and manouver for my 8 month old. She prefers her other books and so do I. It's cute but not a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, June 7, 2007
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
My niece just loves this book! She is 9 months old and this is the book she always wants to have read to her, or the book the chooses to just look at the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 15, 2007
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
My son who is 2.5 years old loves the book and we read it about 10 times a night.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy "Where's My Belly Button" instead, June 13, 2007
Emell (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
This is merely a verbatim book version of the old playschool song "head and shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes . . " It could be made a bit more worthwhile if the art was engaging or dynamic in some way, but it's blah (think Precious Moments meets Charlie Brown) and does little to enhance a young childs perception of where to find his/her head, shoulders, knees . . well you get to idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mother of an 18 month old., January 9, 2007
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
My daughter loves babies and she loves books. So this was a great purchase for her. I bought this book along with the Ten Little Fingers board book. I think they are a little bit young for an 18 month old, but JJ loves them anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my 1-year-old's favorite books, September 23, 2014
This review is from: Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... (Board book)
Our daughter loves this book. She will pull it out of stack of other books and hand it to me while putting her other hand on her head. She loves that it is a book of a song she already knows, and it helps that it has hand gestures (we have the "you are my sunshine" book also, but she likes this one much better). The pictures are cute, and as another reviewer mentioned each page has cute touches (like the "ears" page has musical instruments, the "nose" page has flowers). This is her top pick right now, so it has certainly been a great value for us.

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes...
Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes... by Annie Kubler (Board book - Oct. 2002)
$4.99 $4.73