Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever!
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 27, 2012
I purchased this book because of all the raving reviews. However, when I started reading the sections on counteroffers and negotiating salaries, I became a bit skeptical. Never in my job-hunting endeavor have I ever seen a "contract" saying that I would not discuss my salary nor the hiring company with my current employer. There is also a section about negotiating your salary and creating tension between your new co-workers if they find that you are now the highest paid employee in the department, for example. Prohibiting the discussion of salary between co-workers is actually against the law. Check the labor laws. Employers are prohibited from preventing employees from discussing their salaries between one another. The reason? Knowing what your co-workers make minimizes discrimination and unfair practices within the workplace.

In my experience, it doesn't matter what is and is not listed on your resume. Jobseekers are still contacted by headhunters who blatantly ignore what skills you do have and any relocation requirements. Although headhunters are trying to find those to EXCLUDE, it becomes annoying and a waste of a jobseekers' time when they are contacted about positions that have nothing to do with their skill sets.

After reading this, it makes me wonder what other information is untrue. Do yourselves a favor and make friends with a headhunter and find out what really happens.
on September 16, 2014
This book is absolutely amazing. I purchased it from a recommendation from a family member. I have been looking for a job for over a year now with a few interviews here and there, but no new job still. As soon as I began reading it, I started using the tips and tricks Skip mentions and within a week of applying them to my job hunt, I got an interview at a company! The job I applied for was posted on a Monday, I applied on a Tuesday, and by Friday, I had a call for an interview. I absolutely recommend this book to anyone looking for a job. This is not just a resume and job hunting tips and tricks book; this takes you from before you even start looking to after you have accepted a new position.

Update - I was offered the position I had an interview for the week after the interview. They were "blown away" (their words, not mine) by me and I am now happily employed with them. I used many of the tips and tricks Skip mentions as well as the questions he provides in the book for the interview. I even had one of the people who interviewed me tell me that one of my questions was "really good". I have recommended this book to every person I know out there looking for a job right now. It is by far, the best book when you are searching!
on September 5, 2011
If you are still playing by the old rules of job hunting, you need to change your game.

Companies that are hiring are not waiting for your resume. They have more than enough candidates and they are experts are eliminating candidates that are not highly motivated and top-performers. You need Skip on your side. Here's why:

1. The job market has changed dramatically. To succeed now, you need new strategies.

2. Sending out resumes or posting them to job boards isn't going to be enough to get you noticed; you need to build a structured campaign that will get your resume in front of the hiring managers of companies where you want to work.

3. This campaign needs to show how you can make the company money, or save them money. It's not about what you need.

4. You need to use all the tools that are available, from personal networking to job boards to social media. All of these have a place in your job hunting campaign.

Skip guides you through building an effective marketing campaign that builds on your background and experience and incorporates all the tools available to help you get the attention of hiring managers. The links to various job hunting sites and material are invaluable. I've read dozens of "how to" job hunting books and Skip's book is by far the most focused one I have seen.

So if your job hunting is stalled or getting only limited responses, STOP, and go get this book. Then find a comfortable place to work and build your campaign now! If you are currently employed remember that no job is secure, so be prepared for change. Building a campaign now can't hurt, and you may be surprised at what comes from it.

Thank you, Skip, for sharing what you have learned so that others who are truly struggling in this market may get the tools they need to succeed!
on May 27, 2011
I purchased this book on my Kindle based on the recommendation by a recruiter I was using. It answered the question of why so many jobs that appear to be "slam dunks" for an interview never get a response. It also gives suggestions on good answers to the "gotcha" questions asked by interviewers. It also basically says that the only way you are getting a job in this economy is to market yourself like a product. You have to become your own salesperson to convince a future employer to hire you.

This concept means a sales campaign involving direct mail, social networking, actual networking, and follow up phone calls. If you were not a salesperson before, you now have to make the sale of your life!

My only criticism of the Kindle edition is that the charts are very difficult to read and don't enlarge when enlarging the text. For this reason, I'd recommend the print version.
on January 31, 2013
I am EXTREMELY disappointed in this book. First, let me say that the concepts in the book are valid and they are common sense for most working professionals. But there is absolutely nothing "new" about any of the advised actions or rationale of current job hunting. In fact, it wasn't 'new' in 2010. All of the concepts, rationale and logic are the same as what was being taught in a program by the name of '40+', an organization that focused on the 'older' job hunter that was around in the mid-1990's. In fact, the 'game' of 'exclusion' was taught by instructors at this organization. (How do I know? I went through the program.)
I was lead to believe that this book would be from the recruiter's point of view; giving us 'new' insights into the hiring process. Such as the use of technology, how a recruiter qualifies a prospective candidate through the Internet (and what they like and don't like) before even contacting the candidate to advise them of the company's interest. This book has none of that. What you will be treated to, however, is how to address the hiring manager in an email or snail mail, don't criticize your former boss or company, the four P's of marketing, how to send out thank you notes, etc. all things that are covered in numerous other books and publications. Again, good practices and advice, but nothing earth-shattering that anyone that has gone through a job search in the past wouldn't already know and practice
If you are looking for basic advice on what to do in a job search (if you have never gone through one before)) it is a good resource. However, if you have gone through more than one job hunt, there is nothing in this book that you don't already know.
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2011
I don't write many reviews, but promised myself that I'd start because they do influence decision making and when you are looking for a new career, it is important to use your time effectively.

The Good:
- Agree with most of the information and approaches
- Learned a few new things that I haven't seen discussed
- Would be a good book to begin your career search

The Bad:
- Some outdated information (i.e. Yahoo Hotjobs is mentioned, even though they merged with Monster last year)
- There is too much time spent on telephone scripts - showing how the conversation should go when you talk on the phone
- I don't agree with some information posted (cold calling employers, making 50 contacts a day).
- There is a soft sell pitch in the book about using his firm for services (like coaching)

The Bottom Line:
It gets 4 out of 5 stars.
on October 17, 2011
I have never been so grateful to receive a book as a gift. My friend gave me "Headhunter" Hiring Secrets: The Rules of the Hiring Game Have Changed . . . Forever! last week. I felt my eyes open and my whole perspective shift. I had been doing everything wrong and now had a concrete way to change it! After being laid off in 2009 and struggling ever since, I had become quite despondent. In the week since getting this book in hand, I have changed my resume and my whole approach. Already I have received a positive lead from a contact I made, trying to follow my new plan inspired by Skip Freeman's writing. This contact was to a former employer who wrote back to my email with a phone call to tell me that she just learned that day of two people who resigned from positions. She said that she was going to send my resume right over to the hiring manager. She said that she might have hesitated to do this in the past but that it was very obvious from my email that I am in a completely different place now. "You have confidence!" she said with emotion. I was so thrilled. I am being 100% honest when I say this: This new approach was all directly related to what I took from this book. If you are open to these new ideas, it will change you job-hunting forever...which in turn can change your life!
on February 14, 2014
As a recent college graduate I thought getting a good job after school should be like butter. I looked for close to two months with an interview here and an interview there. I realized something wasn't right so I picked this book up (referred to by a friend). Oh my gosh, talk about solid! Two weeks after reading the book I was hired as a supervisor for a massive resort on an island in SC!! With Skips advice and in specific, "Superstar Questions" section, I nailed the interview. I knew I had it right after the interview. My interviewer was wowed with one of the superstar questions!
I owe a lot to this author and am so thankful that because of him (and def my faith!) I am living out my dream job working on the beach all day every day! This book is like modern day GOLD!
Last point, even if you are coming out of school, don't settle for the first job that comes your way, life is too short not to do what you love. Read this book and use it to land the job of your dreams. If I had met Skip I'm sure he would say the same!

GREAT BOOK!!!!!
on October 15, 2014
This book had so many good tips, I started following much of the advice and since then have had two interviews. The realistic processes of possibly having 6 before getting the job gives me a bit more confidence which is a marketing plus. Thanks for writing this book and sharing your knowledge, it's a lot different today being underemployed than it was two and a half years ago!
on June 9, 2014
With any good book it is what you do with it than how good it is. This book if implemented works as advertised. I highly recommend it. I have emailed Skip on multiple occasions and he has always responded. He is good guy to know and follow online. You the man Skip.