Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Perfect PaperbackChange

Disc 1
Begins with a lady thinking all this negative self-talk. Then you hear others also thinking all this negative self-talk. A positive-thinker walks by and drops a card that says "I am willing to change." And there is a positive affirmation on the back of the card explaining what the statement means. The negative-thinker begins to think about what the card says. Louise Hay begins to dialog, explaining how changing our thoughts can dramatically influence our lives. Other subject-matter experts expand on The Universe, The Law of Attraction, abundance, etc. Louise tells her story, how she left an abusive home at 15, all that she endured before and after, and how she came to be where she is now. Throughout the DVD, various people talk about their experiences and how they relate to being in control of your attitude and health. They also discuss positive affirmations, health, getting what you want out of life, belief, emotion, gratitude, energy vibrations, the ego, dreams, assumptions, beliefs, denial, delay tactics, fear, forgiveness, physical healing, emotional healing, balance, loving yourself and others, spirituality, and self-esteem.

Some of the authors speaking in this CD are: Wayne Dyer (age 67), Greg Branden, Esther and Jerry Hicks, Louise Hays (age 80), Cheryl Richardson, Doreen Virtue, Candace Pert, Mona Lisa Schulz, Christiane Northrop, Gay Hendricks, and Leon Nacson. These are also the authors NOW, talking to you from the current time in their life, talking to you with all the vast experiences they have had in teaching others this material and practicing it themselves. They also explain the science behind how changing our thinking affects the electrical and magnetic physical processes within our bodies. (I mention the ages so you know these people have been around awhile, long enough to learn some things--long enough to cut through the BS, pardon my French.)

Disc 2
Bonus footage. After you watch disc 1, you can review the expanded interviews of the authors. That's a good feature because you can review the concepts of each author without watching the whole movie again. You will certainly want to watch disc 1 many times, but it's also good to be able to use disc 2 to focus on the concepts from each author, one at a time. It's almost like getting a private training session with each subject-matter expert. By the way, Wayne Dyer does a very convincing exercise to scientifically show how negative thoughts physically weaken us.

This is such great stuff, released toward the end of 2007, so it's current. (But the principles are older than baby Jesus being born in the manger.) CD 1 runs 90 minutes with approximately 4 hours of bonus footage on CD 2, including interviews with the individual authors, including Louise Hay. Al the material is well explained with simple-to-follow words and examples, AND IT IS LIFE-CHANGING MATERIAL, if you can allow yourself to be a little open-minded. I knew in the first 5 minutes that this was great material! I sat up till almost 1 am watching this set and I usually head to bed at 10. This is such powerful stuff that I firmly believe and have been practicing, especially for the last couple of years. I have already seen tremendous positive examples of these concepts at work in my personal experiences. By the way, I like this DVD set much better than "The Secret" DVD.

On a side note, I have found some FANTASTIC authors and some FANTASTIC books, DVDs, and CDs through Hay House Publishing, thanks to Louise Hay. Some of my favorite Hay House authors are: Wayne Dyer, Doreen Virtue, and John Holland. I have grown significantly, spiritually, thanks to these authors. If you don't know it already, you would be AMAZED what you can do with a positive mental attitude, ABSOLUTELY AMAZED. The more you believe, the more you see, and then the more you see, the more you believe, and on goes the cycle. I guess that most people just think it's too simple. You know what? It ISSSSS simple! WE make it difficult! Yep--WE do it to ourselves. Think about it---I mean, REALLY think about it. How many times have you complicated your life by the negative attitude you took about someone or something? This is profound, Hon!

It's incredible, but you must believe first. You owe it to yourself to be happy! The most important words you will EVER hear are the words you say to yourself! (And you can quote me on that.) If you tell yourself you are a loser, you will BE a loser. Stop! Rewind! (I don't make any money on this review or this DVD folks. I just want to see you be happy and this material is right on target.) Do yourself a big favor--get this DVD! It explains so much. YOUR THOUGHTS DO CREATE YOUR LIFE!!!

By the way, if you have a group of like-minded friends, you could play this set for the group, then discuss segments of it together to further the understanding of each person in the group. This DVD set also makes a nice gift for someone, especially someone on a spiritual learning path.

This can also be a great gift for someone whose family life is unsettled, where there is negativity running through the family. The CD can also help teach the children something, as well as the adults.

God Bless You in your search for wisdom and truth. Namaste'.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 1999
Louise Hay has been there and done that and this is evidenced by the content of her book. When I first bought a copy of You Can Heal Her Life, I read the first 2 chapters, and put the book down. I was angry because Ms Hay was telling me like it was, and I didn't want to hear the truth. I didn't want to look at myself and take responsibility for my life and my happiness and my health. I wanted to be told that My situation was beyond my control. A couple of years later, I picked up that copy of You Can Heal Your Life, ready to read it and hear the truth that saved Ms Hay's life, years before. As I worked through the exercises and started practicing the affirmations in the way Ms Hay instructed, I literally began to heal my life of suicidal depression, kidney disfunction, arthritis, and the hurt of child sexual abuse, as well as a slew of other problems. A miracle happened. I started to become happy. Since this time, I have continued to use the mirror exercises and affirmations that she describes, and continued to work to change my thought patterns. As a result of this, my attitudes have changed, and I have become a much more positive, optimistic person. Everything that I need in life seems to come to me as I need it. I used to get sick with great regularity, catching everything whether it was a common disease/disorder or not, and I rarely get sick or become injured now. I am happy almost every day and am seeing my dreams come true. The last 10 years, since I read You Can Heal Your Life for the first time, have been a wonderous journey, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. While I did the work, I owe a debt of gratitude to Louise Hay for writing and marketing this book so that her message could reach me and countless others. I have seen the same kind of results in almost a dozen other people who have read You Can Heal Your Life. There is a better way, and this is it. Give it a try, you're worth it! Love and Peace!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2007
When purchasing self help books, I think it helps to remember that, like ordering food or clothing, you're choosing something for yourself, not anyone else. The book doesn't need to suit anyone's needs but your own and if a book doesn't suit your needs, that doesn't mean it might not offer someone else exactly what they need to work through their situations.

During years of researching the topics of healing, happiness and love and having read dozens of excellent books on these topics, Louise Hay's "You Can Heal Your Life" (YCHYL) is by far my favorite book of all. More than any other author, Louise Hay helped me get to the very core of the things I needed to know most in order to transform my own life from within.

I originally picked up this book because it was referred to very favorably in another book I'd read and I was interested in that portion of "YCHYL" that dealt with the link between physical ailments and the unresolved emotional issues we carry around inside us. Having already cured myself of an ulcer by addressing such issues, I was most interested, initially, in learning everything I could in order to free myself of some other problems that had plagued my body over the years. I found this portion of YCHYL VERY helpful in clearing up several problems I had at that time, but then set the book aside for a time, feeling I'd gotten from it about all I could.

Years later, my girlfriend and I began reading it again, and it was like rediscovering the book all over again. She had also read it when she was younger and we thought it would be good for us to read through it together. WOW were we right. Speaking only for myself, I can say that on a second reading, I realized at a much deeper level just how completely ALL the "less than wonderful" issues of our lives stem from one basic cause ... a lousy relationship with ourselves.

During all my years of researchings these topics, I'd become convinced on my own that Love ... true, unconditional acceptance of ourselves and others ... really was the central choice we had to make in order to have harmonious lives in every way. What Louise helped me REALLY understand was that I had not yet truly accepted MYSELF on an entirely unconditional basis. I had focused most of my efforts outward, toward other people ... forgetting ... or, more honestly ... not wanting to admit that I can't give to someone else what I haven't yet given myself. Paraphrasing from YCHYL ... "The most important thing you can do to help heal your entire life ... is stop criticising yourself".

For reasons I need not go into here, I was still carrying around a HUGE amount of self criticism ... most of which was so automatic for me, I didn't even notice it. Because I'd rid my body of most of the physical problems that were bugging me, I thought I'd done a pretty good job of clearing house emotionally, getting rid of most of my old "I'm not good enough" baggage. What a second and third reading of YCHYL showed both me and my girlfriend was that there was a lot more self criticism left inside us than we realized and that it affected areas of our lives ... relationships with friends ... our financial lives ... our job fulfillment ... that we'd never imagined.

For us, YCHYL has been a miracle in its own right. It's helped us make a committment to making total acceptance of ourselves, just as we are today, our number one daily task. Louise has helped us see that living our lives from a place of total self acceptance transforms EVERY part of our lives from "working far less well than they could" to "working so well, we're AMAZED".

Our work with this book is not over yet. But we both wanted to thank Louise for writing such a clear, easy to understand book about what we need to do to really come to grips with what throws our lives out of balance and what we can do, alone and together, to get things back on center and realize the full potential we have in every area of our lives. For us, this book has been PERFECT !!
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 12, 2008
About twenty-one years ago, I was introduced to the book, You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. As I began reading this book I began being intoduced to things I had never heard before. Things like:

We are each responsible for our own lives.
Every thought we think we are creating our future.
The point of power is always in the present moment.
It's only a thought and a thought can be changed.

These things did not make my heart swell with gladness. In fact, these things made me angry. More than once, that book flew through the air. I remember one day after reading a few paragraphs of the book, I was so angry that I had to go to the kitchen and get a cool drink. My dad, puzzled as to why I was so angry, asked me what was the matter?

I just looked at him with disgust and sneered, "Oh, as if you didn't know? Why didn't someone tell me being happy was my choice?"

You see, most of forget that all happiness and consequently all healing begins on the inside. Nobody and no thing can heal us. Not God or Jesus or the sacred toliet water found in an obscure outhouse in the Romanian foothills. The only one that has the power to heal us is ourselves. We have to be willing to heal. That is why before Jesus "healed" anyone, he asked, "Do you want to be healed?" Because he knew that no matter what, there would never be a healing unless the person was really willing to have one and the same is true today.

This DVD is basically the same format as What the Bleep and the Secret. Various metaphysical guides, teachers, writers, and other "professional types" talk about the healing power that is within each one of us and I have to say, they did an incredible job bringing to Light certain fundamental truths that do heal us when they are consciously and deliberately applied.

I don't think anyone who wakes up in the morning six feet above ground ever escapes the need to experience healing. There is always some kind of healing work that needs to be done. Even if it's something you might consider "minor", if it gets in the way of your peace and your happiness, healing needs to take place. What I find interesting is amount of time required for me to notice when I'm out of alignment. Whereas before I was oblivious to my feelings, now I know if something feels just mildly out of kilter with my soul...I need to either, forgive myself, forgive another, or release something or someone to the Power of Love.

You have the power to heal your Life. The things that cause us hurt, disapointment, frustration, guilt, and pain are not there to simply taunt us, they are there to get our attention...believe it or not, these things want to be healed.

Go into this movie with an open heart. I guarantee that if you're not used to these concepts and ideas, a few of these things will actually shock you and may make you incredibly angry, but don't just dismiss these ideas...don't just "poo poo" them and say that you're the exception and that they won't work on you, make just a tiny space of willingness to try out these concepts and watch your life unfold in a beautiful way.

Make a promise to yourself that 2008 is going to be absolutely great. Make this the year that you let yourself heal.

Peace and Blessings,
john, 'the Light Coach'
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2007
You Can Heal Your Life, The Movie takes its name from the best-selling book originally published in the 1980s. In an early scene it shows a woman ducking down in her car in a parking lot so that a man she's attracted to won't see her looking less than spectacular.

It reminded me of all the times in my life when I've ducked down in my car, ducked around the aisle in supermarkets, and oftentimes just stayed home and hid because I didn't think or feel I was good enough for the man, the job, the friends or the myriad other opportunities that lay ahead of me on this wonderful and often perplexing path of life.

The young woman in the car mumbles to herself quietly through the early part of the film all the kinds of negative things I used to say to myself all the time. "I'm such a mess, God I'm showing my age, I look like hell, I'm so stupid, I'm getting fat, I'm such a loser, I hate myself". Wow, they must have been reading one of my old diaries when they wrote her script! This is the kind of self talk that makes us emotionally, spiritually and physically sick. Thank Go(o)dness that many years ago I heard the message that Louise Hay so aptly presents in her book, and now in the movie, that every thought you think is creating your future. This idea helped me become willing to change. In fact, that is one of the affirmations repeated over and over in the movie, "I am willing to change", along with "I am willing to forgive", and numerous others that I truly believe have the power to affect us on a cellular level--to transform us mentally, emotionally and physically. Science and the field of mind/body medicine are now proving this.

The movie is a combination documentary, biography, and story with interviews of well-known M.D.s, Ph.D.s, psychiatrists, scientists, spiritual teachers and just regular people who recovered from serious illness. The story shows the young woman protagonist change over the course of the film using the power of affirmations. The interviews include scientist and author Gregg Braden, Dr. Christiane Northrup (The Wisdom of Menopause), Dr. Mona Lisa Schulz, Candace Pert, and one of my favorite spiritual teachers, Dr. Wayne Dyer. There is also extensive commentary by authors and teachers Esther Hicks, Doreen Virtue, Cheryl Richardson, Leon Nacson and Gay Hendricks. Gay is actually one of the producers of the movie, the author of Conscious Loving, and the founder of the Spiritual Cinema.

The biography part chronicles the evolution of the life of Louise from abandonment and sexual abuse in her youth, to her early adult years as a model and wife, to the period in her life when she began on a spiritual path, learning and then teaching the philosophy--"change your thinking, change your life". She even shares about her own personal recovery from cancer when she faced the challenge to practice what she preached. She did it successfully and recovered. I was moved by her early work with the HIV-AIDS community in the 80s when hardly anyone even knew what the disease was all about. I was especially touched by the scene where she spoke to a group of men and told them she knew they were looking for a savior. Then she took a large mirror and gave it to a man who was distraught having just been diagnosed. She held the mirror up to him and as he gazed at his reflection she said, "Here is your savior". Then she hugged him and I wept for the power and hope and light that Louise Hay let shine on the world at this very frightening time in our history. She empowered people to take a positive approach and was one of the first pioneers in the field of mind/body healing.

Louise Hay truly embodies the essence of the "Wise Woman" archetype. Her movie is subtle (not flashy like The Secret or What the Bleep), but powerful and will endure, as has her book, for many years to come.

The expanded version includes an interactive affirmations tool and 4 hours of bonus material. It's really worth the investment to get the expanded version and you will want to watch all of it over and over again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2007
This is a great addition to the other works of Louise Hay - I did not have any background on her history which makes what she does so much more fascinating to me. How she has come to the place she is at is as inspirational as her message.
My one complaint - the woman they have doing the reading for the incidental character they introduce at the beginning is AWFUL. When the film began, I thought I was going deaf---she is difficult to understand, mumbly and has a bit of a weird lisp. REALY annoying, but you can luckily fast forward past her parts without missing any of the message
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2002
I'm 48, and have been looking for this book my whole life!
I, like many others, including the author, had a horrible childhood. I had parents who basically ignored me or appeared to hate me. There was emotional abuse and alcoholism. I have been struggling to pull my life together my entire adulthood, and have failed.
I've read a lot of self-help books, and I watch Oprah. I've been to a couple of therapists, who never used the word worthy or really focused on the problem. Until recently, I didn't even know that my failure in life was due to feeling unworthy!
There are a lot of books out there, but how many actually tell you HOW TO FEEL WORTHY? I believe that low feelings of self-worth are possibly the cause of much chronic depression and lethargy. And yet, so many books do not address this problem. I also believe many people are in therapy for decades for the sole purpose of trying to feel worthy.
This book's sole purpose is to heal your life, and help you to feel worthy. I have only read about 1/3 of the book so far, and already I see changes.
Ms. Hay helps you change how you feel about yourself with positive affirmations, in a certain order, building upon one another. Seem too simple? Let me tell you, it works! It is very much like cognitive therapy (addressing what your inner thoughts are), but for me, much more effective, because of the affirmations.
She also writes the book with great warmth and wisdom - there is nothing clinical about it. Reading this book is like jumping in a pool of warm fragrant water, and letting the words just run all over you. There is great compassion and warmth in this book. It is as if a great sage is speaking, with love bursting out all over the place.
Not only that, the book itself is healing just to look at! I have never seen such a beautiful book - every page is a color that is a feast for the eyes, with gorgeous subtle art work. The type is beautiful too. Any book on healing SHOULD look like this!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2007
I can understand how people could be easily upset by this book at first read. I received this book as a gift from a coworker (which offended me), I wasn't suffering from any serious physical ailments or illnesses, and I was not a fan of "self-help" books!! I did not need help. The book itself just seemed too simple, new age mumbo jumbo... Several months later, I read the book again, and again. I skipped around & highlighted the parts that I felt were use full to me at the time. My boyfriend saw me reading the book & remarked that he hoped it helped with my depression. Me depressed? It wasn't my fault, it was him, my boss, my parents, my friend, my kids, everyone else, I was a victim!!!!

This is how it starts. In fact, things got worse before they got better, some things in my life were resistant to change. Those things soon faded & made room for the good things I have now. Two years later I am happily married (not to my old boyfriend), we started our own business, I am financially secure, close to my parents, have a new car, have a lovely home, full of happy people who love me, and I love myself.

This book helped me to stop worrying about how "other people" viewed me, and start changing how I viewed myself. I just ordered a copy for my mom. (at her request) She knows that this book was responsible for the changes I made, most of which she was adamantly opposed to. I know she (like myself) may call it nonsense at first. The truth is sometimes hard to accept, but I couldn't think of anyone who I'd rather share my "secret" with more than her, after all, I developed most of my negative thought patterns from her. We all have the lives we feel we deserve. Including me. I have also purchased The Power Is Within You which is the same concept, a little more in depth, & less about physical dis-ease, but also a good read. I recommend you start with You Can Heal Your Life (Gift Edition) This review is from a skeptic, to a skeptic. You won't be sorry!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2000
I bought You Can Heal Your Life on Tape and recommend this to others because Louise Hay has a voice that seems to magicaly heal you. I have been able to heal my life from past childhood issues, rape, parents, and drugs. My life now, is one that allows my dreams to come true. I loan the tapes to others and they are having excellent results. I have saved myself thousands of dollars in therapy sessions. I now have the peace, contentment, success and happiness that I never knew was possible. This is the best money that I have or will ever spend.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have never been big on self-help books; many of them are too stuffy, or technical, or don't really relate to what I'm going through. "You Can Heal Your Life" is different. It is easy to read, and well-written, and helps you see/realize/re-affirm that you are the master of your destiny, that only you can change your life, that you are loveable and perfect as you are - and best of all, the process is not "hard" - you just have to be willing to do the mental work. The book gives practical advise, it's non-judgemental, and it's real and true.

I have been struggling with depression my whole life, and doing lots of work to heal myself. Reading this book at this point of my life-journey was just what I needed. I'm happy! Since I started reading the book (a week ago), I have not had any trouble sleeping. That may not seem like a lot, or a long time, but I've also struggled with insomnia most of my life too. Falling asleep peacefully is a triumph, and a joy.

Another great thing about the book is that I'll be able to refer to it often. The index in the back has already come in handy when I wanted to look up something I read a few days ago.

If you're not sure, and if you resist the book & its message, if you think "oh, this author must have it all together, she must have had a great childhood, things must just come easy to her, that's not me, my life sucks", then read the last chapter, "My Story." It will make it obvious that no matter what you go through, no matter what you've experienced, you can be happy. All it takes is you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse