5.0 out of 5 stars Timely
Published on April 25, 2002 by The Rev. Dr. Daniel J. G. G. Block

3.0 out of 5 stars Healing Anger: The Power Of Patience From A Buddhist Perspective
Not quite what I expected, but very interesting! I tried to understand the threads of reasoning emanating from the Buddhist teachings. It was somewhat challenging only because I was venturing in unfamiliar 'territory'.
Published 19 months ago by Marie-Grace Auguste

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Timely, April 25, 2002
This review is from: Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective (Paperback)
By exegeting the 8th century C.E. "Bodhisattvacharyavatara," His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama demonstrates the powers of acceptance and tolerance to overcome such negative emotions as anger, resentment and jealousy. This is not another one of those awful "self-help" books. Rather, His Holiness presents a cogent discussion about the self-destructive qualities of anger, etc..., and appeals to our intellect to refrain from those emotions.
His Holiness' line of reasoning seems self-evident and simplistic until one observes normal, unpleasant, self-defeating human behavior in a typical traffic jam or family argument.
If you sometimes get unexpectedly caught in your anger, or other negative emotions, read this book. It might just be the tonic that will help to heal your spirit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Patience, August 23, 2002
I have read several of the Dalai Lama' books and hve grown more fond of him with each book. In this book, His Holiness attempts to address the issue of anger. His main argument is based in the fact that anger can be remedied through patience. I find this to be true as anger is often rooted in impatience. The book sites Buddhist scripture to explain the reasoning behind the argument. In addition, His Holiness presents meditation sessions in the book. Even for those who are inexperienced in the meditation practices, the suggestions make the practice easy and practical. The meditation practices did help me address some of the anger in my life. As the Dalai Lama suggests, anger will not disappear. It takes time to work through anger. Anger is a powerful and destructive emotion. It is worth learning to control anger.
The only problem I have found in this book is that It tends to be a little hard to follow if you are unfamiliar with Buddhist scripture. The dialogue can also seem very long and drawn out at times. Overall, this book can be beneficial to those who seek its wisdom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logical and needed in today's world, July 15, 2003
By A Customer
This book is essential reading for those like myself who have difficulty restraining their anger. Reading this book has allowed me to understand the causes that lead to anger and ultimately, to suffering. At it's deepest level, Healing Anger is about how to get oneself on the road to the cessation from suffering by changing one's outlook on the world and on oneself.

4.0 out of 5 stars fairly useful, April 30, 2009
This book and "The Art of Happiness" have pretty much the same content, so don't buy both. "Healing Anger" is organized in the form of eight talks and question-and-answer sessions over a four day period, whereas "The Art of Happiness" is organized topically. For this reason "The Art of Happiness" may be easier to use if you are interested in exploring particular topics. The downside of "The Art of Happiness" for me was Howard Cutler. I found his additions to what the Dalai Lama has to say didn't bring much value. What I was looking for in both books was mental exercises, and these are found in "Healing Anger" in each of the eight sessions in between the talk and the Q&A, so these are easier to find in "Healing Anger". I was a bit disappointed that neither book contained detailed treatments of some of the exercises referred to, such as the "seven-point cause and effect" and "equalization and exchange". These can be found on the internet by googling "Developing the Mind of Great Capacity (Shambhala Sun)".

5.0 out of 5 stars The world could use a bit more patience & tolerance, March 11, 1998
As the President of Arizona Teachings (ATI), which hosted and sponsored these teachings on patience in 1993 in Tucson, Arizona, it may be said that I am not completely objective about the contents of the book. With that caveat in mind I still feel comfortable in saying that His Holiness' teachings on patience, tolerance and anger are brilliantly done. The depth of knowlege of and compassion towards the subject make these teachings an indespensible tool for the serious student and those who wish to move deeply into their own self-awareness and investigation of their shadows.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 4, 2004
Swing King (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
Snow Lion Publications is a landmark when it comes to Buddhist literature, up there with Wisdom Books and Shambhala Publications. The Dalai Lama faces the issues of our times in this book; for we live in times of so much violence and anger in various situations, not just "global." We encounter them in our family life, in our work life, et cetera. Everywhere we go, this matter seems to pop right up! As you might expect, the practice out of this the Dalai Lama prescribes is the cultivation of compassion; cultivating patience. Patience, His Holiness points out, permits us to mindfully and calmly accept hardship, thus enabling us to see things as they are unclouded.
In here you find an old text from the 11th century which is quite important to Tibet known as the "Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life" by Shantideva. The Dalai Lama uses this text as his entire groundwork for explaining the practice and place of patience in our lives, if of course, we are aspiring and actualizing our life as a bodhisattva. Also a good book on this subject is "Anger: Wisdom For Cooling the Flames." Sure the books are dissimilar in style and format, while simultaneously they drive towards the same end point; realizing our life as a bodhisattva. Get this book right away, it's a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, April 25, 2003
Angry Elf (PENN VALLEY, CA) - See all my reviews
This book is a recording of one of the Dalai Lama's seminars in the US. Looks hard to read at first, but the concepts are fascinating. The Q&A sections reveal alot of the more dogmatic views of Tibetan Buddhism. The premise is simple, anger is an unecessary cause of suffering. Alot of good advice, especially for Westerners attempting to convert to Buddhism or considering the path of the Bodhisatva. When you think about these things it can really make a difference. Stick with it. It's worth reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, but challenging, January 29, 2012
First, I'll say that I really enjoyed this book, and it was very helpful as I tackled anger around various issues I was dealing with (hence the 5 stars).

One word of "caution", though, is that if you are used to many of the Dalai Lama's other books, you are probably used to the very conversational, almost simplistic, descriptions he gives of the subject matter, which makes those books very accessible and, I think, very effective at exposing a broader audience to Buddhist ideas. This book is not like those, and in this you can really get a glimpse of the theological scholar side of the Dalai Lama. The text is fairly dense, and somewhat difficult to understand unless you have a pretty good understanding of Buddhist principles. I had to go brush up on those and come back to this book to really get through it. If you've only read The Art of Happiness or How to See Yourself as You Really Are then this may be a bit overwhelming and frustrating. To get up to speed, I'd recommend Buddhism for Beginners followed by The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this book, it may change your life, September 5, 2008
Healthy approach on how to deal with anger in everyday life. This book really made a difference for me when dealing with a select few individuals. Taking a look at yourself and others from the Dahli Lama's perspective, really helped me elimninate anger. The only reason I am not giving this 5 stars is because there is a lot of information about the Buddhist practice. I didn't mind reading the Buddhist info, but did not purchase it for that reason. With that said; I found the entire book interesting (even the Buddhist info.)and would certainly buy the book again and strongly suggest it if you are looking to understand and deal with anger in a healthier way.

5.0 out of 5 stars the only book that has ever made a difference, February 15, 2013
this book as regards the destructive habit of anger is the only one that has ever made a meaningful difference in my life. the binding is horrible and will fall apart (mine is held together with clothes pins and rubber bands) but the content if practiced could change your life. my method has been to read a couple pages, write down the most salient point i can extract 5 times, walk around the house for five minutes memorizing that point word for word (as i toss a baseball in the air), and then meditate for 15 minutes on those words (critical analysis style). i have a notebook dedicated to these meditations with dates written in the margin. i don't consider myself a Buddhist but the logic presented here has served to educate my mind and heart.

"hatred is the ultimate enemy. this feeling not only destroys my immediate calmness and peace of mind, but it also throws me into a state of confusion." sometimes my meditations are nearly word for word from this book, sometimes they are my own analysis.

i give this book as a gift to people whom i believe will use it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective
Healing Anger: The Power of Patience from a Buddhist Perspective by Dalai Lama (Paperback - January 1, 1997)
$14.95 $12.46