5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the answer i've been looking for!
2 weeks I've waited for this book.
1 week it took me to read it.
7 yaers of agony and pain ended last week after reading this book.
I can't believe it!
Pain that has been my evel companion and dictated every aspect of my life - gone!!!
Published on October 6, 2009 by Daniel Hen

2.0 out of 5 stars "A book cannot substitute for a doctor"
In the words of Dr. Sarno, "A book cannot substitute for a doctor and it is not my intention to diagnose and treat through this book." I fear, however, that the arguments set forth are precisely the kind that would keep many people from seeking appropriate medical treatment for their back pain.
I speak from experience because I recently came within hours...
Published on April 10, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the answer i've been looking for!, October 6, 2009
2 weeks I've waited for this book.
1 week it took me to read it.
7 yaers of agony and pain ended last week after reading this book.
I can't believe it!
Sometimes I feel the pain trying to come back, sneak on me, but now I know why it's there and I can make it disappear again after 5 minutes or so.
This is unreal. Its almost ridiculous.
I am 33 years old, and for the first time in 7 years - I fill young, and free.
This book is worth more then 7000$ - the amount I payed on painkillers and alternative medicine so far, and no doubt - would have kept on paying for many years to come.
If you ever had back or neck pain that crippled you, while doctors telling you that you have a herniated disc but can't explain why it hurts so much, or why you are in pain most of the time, even while sitting down - Well, this is the book for you.
You don't need to be in pain.
You don't need to be depressed anymore.
Just read this book and be open to what it has to say to you, think about it, really think.
I did and it changed my life, and I recommand this book to anyone who suffers from back & neck pain, and forever greatfull to John E. Sarno for giving me my life back <3.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 years with back pain, no back pain for 6 years., October 13, 2006
majorlynch (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
There I was, 18 years old, after exercising badly in the gym I developed back issues. An x-ray stated I had a back abnormality. For 5 years I had back pain, evey single day, mid to lower back pain. You know whats its like, the type thats always there.

One day I was channel flicking and I saw John Sarno's interview about this book.

I bought the book. Read it.

Discovered that everyone has "normal" abnormalities doctors make a career diagnosing and prescribing pills for.

And I BELIEVED the book, kept a bookmark on one page which had a summary of the major points.

Better for the first few days. A few weeks later, no more back pain.

I moved house last year, my back may have been sore for a few hours, then the pain was gone.

I bought this book when I was 23. For 6 years my back pain has no longer been an issue. And all because I believed this book was right.

If you have back pain and an open mind, buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look., November 7, 2002
I think this book will be most helpful for people who have been suffering with back pain for a long period of time (months to years). Most back pain lasts only a short time, and if it persists, you probably either have a really serious medical problem (that is usually obvious) or there are psychological factors involved.

If you've been through the conventional medical system with your back pain for a long time with no satisfaction, have had many physical treatments (such as heat, massage, manipulation, etc.) with no relief, AND have had serious back pain issues ruled out, then I say it would be well worth your while to at least check out this book. While there are true physical causes of back pain that are not psychological, this book will make you think about any stress related issues that could be a part of your pain. Other self-help books I liked include Treat Your Own Spinal Stenosis. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars A comment on Joan Price's review..., November 6, 2005
I must say in response to Joan Price's comments above, namely that Healing Back Pain 'isn't really a program for self-treatment with only 5 pages of action plans' - she is incorrect.

I read this book at the urging of a friend who recovered from years of debilitating back pain.

After reading it once (about a 2-3 hour investment of time), I began 'discipling my mind' and working hard to apply the 'mere 5 pages' of action plans. Why do we as humans think everything must be hard? =)

As I read the book, I began applying the principles and found my pain subsiding.

Within just one week, I was relieved of pain that I had borne for 5-10 years, and was able to stop going to doctors and treatments that had done nothing. And I spent many thousands of dollars on treatments.

It is a credit to John Sarno that he has shared simple and straightforward direction so we can actually use it.

Complexity is not the measure of something's value. Results are.

And I am living a different life because of simply reading and applying the thoughts in this book.

Thank you Dr. Sarno!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, please read this book, April 18, 2009
I am a 57 year old that has suffered from numerous conditions and much pain since I was a teen. Just to name a few since most of us need to see ourselves in someone else's experience,
-chronic prostatitis (started when I was 15 and still flares up occasionally)
-dizziness
-tinnitis (ringing in the ears)
-numbness in arms hands and legs
-paralyzing fear of MS for at least 10 years
-irritable bowel syndrome
-debilitating back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain (my wife went ALONE on our 30th anniv. trip because I was on the floor in pain)
-TMJ and ear pain
-chronic fear that I have "one of the big ones" (they just haven't found it yet)
-severe depression
I could go on but this gives you an idea. Invariably when one issue faded, another began. My wife tells me I was essentialy absent in the raising of our children because of my preoccupation with my health issues. It makes me want to cry when I think that my wife was a "married single" for all those years.
About 2 years ago I was looking up back pain books on Amazon and came across "Healing Back Pain" by Dr. Sarno. The reviews were unbelievable and being that the book was not new there were a lot of them. I ordered the book and devoured it, finding myself in every page (as you often hear). And like so many others on this forum I began to seriously consider the information presented. I ordered "The Mindbody Prescription" and read it as well. I ordered Dr. Sarno's CD and listened to it while travelling.
I finally came to understand what was causing my pain and how to relieve it. I would say that over the last 2 years I have been 85% successful in moving past the pain/fear issues that would have previously crippled me. I remember shortly after I was beginning this process, my wife and I were on a one month trip to the UK. We were going to go for a walk and I bent over to tie my shoe when I had a stabbing pain in my lower back...the beginning of a usual episode. At first I panicked as we were only in the second week of our trip. "Oh no! I'll have to spend the next two weeks on my back. What am I going to do?" Instead I immediately remembered what my brain was trying to do and thought "No. I'm not going to let this ruin our trip. This will pass." We went out walking and during the afternoon everything returned to normal. This has happened many times since then. Also has happened with all the other issues mentioned above.
I might reread a section of one of Sarno's books. I might just give myself a talking to. I might just press on. In any event, the issue passes. I have not had pschycotherapy because I cannot afford it but it doesn't seem to matter that I don't know the exact root. Also I have not seen a TMS doctor because there are none that I know of in the area.
I am not 100%. I suffer from some depression but I'm so thankful that I'm not where I was. This information (wrong word because it's much more powerful than that) has been life changing for me.
BTW, I am finishing "The Divided Mind". It's great because it presents other physicians experiences on TMS and it's equivalents.
Sorry to be so long. There is hope. For those who find this forum and haven't read the books...just do it. Meditate on the principles. If you can accept them you'll be on your way to a much better life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A follow up � and a response to the warnings, June 13, 2001
By A Customer
It's been over a year now since I read this book and posted my review and I'm still 100% pain free. I now also know several other people who have been cured by this book. I wanted to respond to some of the bad reviews and warnings that seem to be cropping up lately. Most of these people distort the information given in the book (I get the feeling that some of these people haven't read the book or have never suffered from severe back pain). I say read the book and decide for yourself. Half the problem is misinformation and fear. These reviews only contribute to the problem. If you've already tried everything else (like I had), what do you have to loose?

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain free for over 12 years, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection (Mass Market Paperback)
Dr. Sarno's book worked for me. Not instantly, but over the course of about a month I became basically pain free using his information coupled with observation and awareness of my mental and emotional states.
Placebo effect? I think not since it has been over 12 years since I read the book and applied his knowledge and I'm still free of the back pain that plagued me for years.
The last doctor I saw about my previous condition, a neurologist, said I would require surgery or I would end up in a wheelchair within 10-15 years. It has not happened yet and I'm involved in a vigorous boxing program at age 64 with no complications.
Bottom line, read the book, apply the principles, and you may alleviate your back pain too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still working after a year...on allergies, too!, July 3, 2000
I did a review of this book last spring in which I waxed rhapsodic because it had changed my life so I thought it would be nice to do an update. I'm still fabulously free of back pain most of the time. I've had a couple of minor "relapses", usually after some strenuous lifting (the sort of thing that would have originally caused pain), but I re-read the highlighted sections of the book, gave my subconscious a scolding (while appreciating its extreme cunning) and recovered almost immediately. It's also been effective on allergies. I had no allergies last year when I read the book, then they came back with a vengeance this year although nothing had changed--same house, same three cats, same routine. So I think my brain was trying to substitute the distraction of the allergies for the back pain. This time I wrote my brain a note in my journal and I'm having great results so far. No sniffling, no waking up in the middle of the night sneezing. I'm still struggling with super-coping, a critically ill mother, and performance anxiety on my job, but I'm trying to deal with those feelings instead of allowing my brain to distract me away from them with pain syndromes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still doing great after five years!, May 29, 2004
I like to check in every now and then with my progress and I have to say that since reading this book and implementing its suggestions in 1999, I have been free of back pain for five years. I NEVER take it for granted. I biked 35 miles just today without so much as a twinge. I had suffered with back pain for ten years after being attacked by a combative patient at work (I was a psych nurse) so it was pretty much a miracle to stumble on Dr. Sarno's book and his theories. I'm an incredibly practical person who tends to pooh-pooh a lot of holistic medicine, but these theories are based on common sense. If I ever feel even a twinge of discomfort, usually re-reading the Prologue is enough to make me better. Thank you, Dr. Sarno, for changing my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can not over emphasize the importance of this information., November 22, 2007
Gideon October (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
"Healing Back Pain" is 90% as good as "Mindbody Prescription" only because it's 1991, instead of 1999. Some of Sarno's assertions are not as confident. However, he DOES offer much more patient related stories and different examples than the later. I read "Mindbody Prescription" first, and I was cured of RSI. (I am a musician and didn't play cello for 2 years)
I then ordered "Healing Back Pain" as a follow up, and I enjoyed reading it as much as the first book. The two books a different enough that you should read both. I am currently reading "Divided Mind," and it is even more opinionated that the other two, but for good reason. Sarno is furious at contemporary medicine for their dangerous mis-diagnoses, and so am I.

Again, I HIGHLY recommend you read this book. If you haven't read any of Sarno's books, you may want to start with "Mindbody Prescription." It is a little more specific about treatment plans, although "Healing Back Pain" does this also.

p.s.
For the skeptics, these books are so cheap, what have you got to loose? I spent thousands of dollars on medical treatments that did practically NOTHING. Join me in a world of freedom where you can forget about all this pain insanity.

Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection
Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection by John E. Sarno (Mass Market Paperback - February 1, 2010)
$7.99