5.0 out of 5 stars This Should Be in Every Pastor's Library
Published on December 21, 2003 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves out an important fact
Published on November 13, 2011 by ChazMichaelMichaels

5.0 out of 5 stars This Should Be in Every Pastor's Library, December 21, 2003
This book has become a classic, and with good reason. Some books on emotional stuggles are written as if we human beings do not have a spiritual side. Other books are written as if the proper prescription for all emotional struggles is, "Take two Bible verses and call me in the morning." Some are written from such a deep clinical perspective that they are actually worse than useless to the layperson. This book is not like that.
If you, or someone you know, struggles with depression, this book is worth considering.
If you, or someone you know, holds onto pains from the past and nurses them to the point of ill-health, this book is worth considering.
If you are a professional counselor and don't have much experience with "Christian counseling", this book is worth considering.
If you are a pastor or other religious professional, but don't have much experience with counseling from a clinical perspective, this book is worth considering.
Actually, this book is so well written, that if you are breathing and have the ability to read this review, this book is worth considering. It should be in every personal library. You never know when you will be confronted with someone who needs your friendship and care.

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T RUN........SPRINT AND GO GET THIS BOOK!, April 26, 2000
The way I came about this book was my church home pastor is doing a bible study series based on this book.Little did I know that the Lord would use this book(as well as His living Word) to destroy yokes and just annihilate strongholds in my life.Dr. Seamands is straight forward with his language,uses the bible , and also human examples to make his points flesh for the reader.Many times I had to put this book down because it was just so deep and I saw myself in a lot of the pages.As christians we have been told the false doctrine that if we are depressed or lacking in self-esteem that something is wrong with us and that we are not true christians.Well this book dispels these myths and outright lies and gives biblical proof that prophets too had emotional crisis at given times. This book gives you simple,helpful and Godly steps to rising above the enemy's tactics to keep you in a pity party with yourself and is not afraid to say to the saints that you can love the Lord with all of your soul and still want to die.It gives a way for us to work out our problems ,issues and just gives a lot of insight. This is the book that simply(along with the Word)changed me and my desire to just live life in Christ. What a blessing this book has been to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Except for the Bible, this is the best book I have ever read, September 16, 1999
By A Customer
God has used this book to wipe away the confusion and frustration that I have endured over many, many years. This book has given me understanding and God has set me free. I can now forgive others and ESPECIALLY myself! I now know the difference between bad theology and true Christian maturity.
If you hate yourself or are muddling through the muck and mire of depression, then let David Seamands show you your TRUE self and the TRUTH about the unconditional love that God has for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Biblical Advice on Emotional Healing, June 24, 2004
Seamands has written an excellent book relevant to every Christian and non-Christian, namely, how to be healed from negative emotional wounds.
Among the important subjects include:
1. How Satan can tempt us to feel inadequate to the point where we are rendered powerless to be used by God for His glory.
2. Symptoms of perfectionism.
3. Truths and myths of depression.
4. How to deal with depression.
5. Developing your worth from God and not the false assumptions of you or others.
6. Cooperating with the Holy Spirit in our healing.
7. Grace is not only God's undeserved mercy and favor, it cannot be repaid.
The author maintains a fine balance between understanding and showing sympathy to what causes damaged emotions and challenging the reader to take responsibility for his own healing in the power of the Holy Spirit. Too many books try to make the reader feel good without taking responsibility, resulting in a fruitless pity party.
Read and be encouraged and challenged to let the healing process begin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, A true balm in gilead.., May 21, 2000
I have found this book to be informative,eyeopening, and a healer. The part I like the best is when he mentions that your sins is thrown into the Lake where it is forgotten by God and he puts up a sign that says "No Fishing". I can relate. Which is why I call it a true balm in Gilead. Christians need to know that although they are saved by God's grace, they still have some overcoming to do, and it is not impossible to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Free to be free to be me!, November 21, 2003
By A Customer
This book is one of the best I have ever read for dealing with all those things we sit in church and PRAY that someone will preach about before we go mad and suffer a nervous breakdown.
You know I have always struggled with hormone induced depression since my teens and only now feel free to own who I am and take that to my wonderful Lord, so that he can heal me in a moment by moment walk with him.
I did not know so many mighty men of God had suffered from depression..... and I was very touched to read the humaness (emotion) in which they reacted to this problem, and the spiritual solutions they applied.
I read with hunger the chapters on depression and those on the Super Me!!
I would Looooooooooove to see this author do something for children as well. Having a son who sufferes very heavily under guilt and condemnation as he tries to be Super Him. I am going to read those chapters to him and let the Holy Spirit commence a good work in him.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has literally changed my life!!, October 21, 1998
By A Customer
If you are searching for what value you hold as a person, especially that of a child of God then this is the book for you. No other book has ever spoken so directly to me and my life's background. Dr. Seamands seemed to be talking directly to me throughout much of the book and has helped me to appreciate and love the REAL me, just as I am. My life will never be the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book. Healing for Damaged Emotions helped me a lot, August 7, 1999
By A Customer
Healing for Damaged Emotions has really helped me in my spiritual growth. I am still human and I still make mistakes, but I feel that I can cope with them better after reading this book.
I would strongly recommend it to others. David Seamands did a great job, using scriptures to back up what he was saying. Of course I wouldn't put it above the Bible, but I would say that it comes in a close second. I will say that this book with the exception of the Bible really helps me understand the difference between the real me and the super me.
I believe that God led David A. Seamands to write this book, and I also believe that He (God) led me to buy this book.
George Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Life changing words, January 21, 2003
This book is incredible. It is short, sweet, and clear. It said everything I needed to hear in just the way I needed to hear it.
From knowing Jesus felt all emotions I do and more (including depression and anger) to helping me forgive myself and others, this book is a wonderful guide.
Even if you don't identify with the religious aspects - the book will still be helpful. It's worth every dime!

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves out an important fact, November 13, 2011
This book is targeted at those who grew up under a legalistic setting. It however never discusses how to integrate Biblical truth into the healing process. The book starts out with an example from Matthew 18. That chapter is about how to deal with offenses. The author didn't use it wrong, and never said anything that was incorrect, but it was what wasn't said that struck me. For example, he left out verse 29 of Matthew 18. It's the verse where the servants fellow servant pleaded for mercy. In that parable they both pleaded for forgiveness over their delinquency. That is what this book does not address. It leaves a gaping hole for liscentiousness. From the perspective of someone who grew up under a legalistic system, it generally doesn't matter to them. But for people like myself, who grew up under a liscentious system, it matters greatly.
The truth is that their healing isn't complete. The Bible talks about making amends towards people you know are offended in you. Until that humility takes place, those the book targets will end up unintentionally hurting those who are looking for safety from the world. Those who were hurt by the world's liscentiousness (ie gossip, slander), will find that the church is no different. It should be different, because it should be peculiar and blameless. The fact that he left out verse 29 of that parable in Matthew 18, says that the author didn't see the importance towards healing.
I would like to suggest a book called "Changes that Heal" by Dr. Henry Cloud. It adds what the author of "Healing for Damaged Emotions" did not recognize. Not only does it talk about all the grace that this author wrote about, but it adds truth into the mix. Truth being our responsibilities for each other. The beginning of Matthew 18, where Jesus points out the horrible experience for those who offend God's children, necessarily means that we have responsibilities towards others. We can't just expect others to forgive us without our seeking it. Notice that the master in the parable in Matthew 18 didn't forgive his servant until after the servant sought forgiveness, and showed that he was remorseful. My concern about this author's book is that it leaves that out. That humility of seeking forgiveness is the final step towards becoming like a child. A child that Jesus pointed to as "unless you become like this little child, you will not see the Kingdom of Heaven". It is important to realize that that is part of Matthew 18 as well.