Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

on July 23, 2007
If you're interested in using the new durg Lyrica for fibromyalgia, this is a wonderful book. It's the first book I've seen that explains what Lyrica is and how to integrate it into a well balanced treatment program. The authors also give details about a new treatment on the horizon for fibromyalgia called rTMS (repetivitve trascranial magnetic stimulation), and other options I'd never heard before. It's the best book I've read on the subject.
on May 3, 2007
I have dealt with fibromyalgia for many years, so anytime I see a new book on the subject, I'm anxious to read it. So many times, I'm disappointed by the same info presented over and over again, with no new approach offered other than merely dealing with symptoms. This book is different. Written by a rheumatologist with many years of clinical experience, this book presents new theories backed up by solid research, and offers many avenues of treatment, both allopathic and alternative. But the real difference in this book is the unbelievably compassionate tone by the author. He deeply identifies with the patient's suffering, and "suffer" is a word he uses often. As I have wondered myself many times, he asks why, in this age of modern medical miracles, five million Americans with this illness must suffer with no treatment options on the horizon. This is an outstanding book, probably the best I've ever read on fibromyalgia, and I will be sharing it with my doctor. I'm one of the lucky patients who has an equally understanding and compassionate physician, but so many do not. Read this book, and heed the advice about surrounding yourself with supportive, understanding individuals, including your doctors. Thank you, Dr. are what every physician should endeavor to be.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2008
My background: An often debilitated Fibromyalgic of 10 years who has tried numerous treatments, supplements, medication, and has done extensive personal research studying the body, mind and how it all works together.

The beginning of the book has a good amount of info detailing the scientific basis of FMS and its triggers, although it is not quite comprehensive. There is a good amount of discussion about tests, overlapping conditions, and interacting with doctors. For the most part, the advice given is sound.

However I got irritated with the mixed messages about medications. Why are doctors still walking on eggshells about properly medicating the FMS patient? FMS has prevented me from gainful employment for the past 2 years, with an overall spotty work history, yet going for a refill of cyclobenzaprine (which I only use during flares, and is the only thing that relieves the extreme torturous pain and muscle tension, thus far) gets me the "junkie glare." That is ridiculous.

Chapter 8, Page 121, "If your doctor has prescribed a drug such as amitriptyline or cyclobenzaprine to make fibromyalgia go away, the results may have already been disappointing." The author's round-about discouraging of cyclobenzaprine usage is irritating, especially since I know personally how cyclo saves me from going to the ER when I am racked with pain and am unable lay down in my bed.

Then we have a chapter telling us to be positive, etc. etc. If the author validates the FMS patient as having a real physiological illness with "damage" to the "central nervous system," then why is he now back to the positive thinking as a cure bit? I've done almost every non-medicinal modality in this book and I'm still unable to work. I lost weight, take supplements, eat right, meditate, do yoga/pilates, trigger point therapy, and other exercises when I am able, and still cannot work. The author alludes that lifestyle changes are going to make it all better without medication. That's just not true for the worst of us. Yes, I am much improved, but it's not enough. It's like asking a Parkinson's patient to think positive, and that will cure their dopamine imbalance. Then we are suddenly back to medications. Ok. So let's see an example of what is recommended. "Best at night - Cyclobenzaprine." More mixed messages.

Overall, the book is generally very supportive of the FMS patient, which is a better step in the right direction. I had higher hopes for this book though. I was really looking forward to an assertive breakthrough treatment plan. I'm tired of hearing how happy thoughts will cure me, or that Fibromyalgia is not a permanent illness. Really? Then let's have the cure now. One can increase their wellness through management, but that is not the same as a cure. Relapses can come very easy. I relapse all the time for every inch of progress I make. The FMS patients threshold is very small. One good medication recommendation is the SNRI class. There have been a lot of fibros getting relief through Cymbalta so I'm going to talk to a doc about testing it.

Chapter 11 is about "putting it all together," offering treatment plans for the different types of triggered FMS. Stress, illness, physical injury. But how about for people like me who have had all of those traumas? We are really in dark waters.

Still though I think that docs and patients should read this book for the overall info, despite the perceived flaws.

Pros: Lots of great scientific info and validated support for the FMS patient. Nice charts.

Cons: Sends mixed messages about medications. Falls back on positive thinking as a "cure."
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2007
I loved reading Healing Fibromyalgia. There is a chapter called "The Biology of Chronic Stress" that explains the mind-body connection better than I've ever seen. The authors describe the damaging effects of certain injuries and illnesses on the central nervous system. Then they explain why Fibromyalgia happens and how to treat it.
From a treatment standpoint, they categorize Fibromyalgia into three different types - post-injury, post-illness, and stress driven - then formulate a specific indivdualized plan for each one. I found useful information about integrative care, diet and exercise - advice I haven't seen anywhere else - and new medication choices down to the finest detail. I can highly recommed this book.
on August 23, 2007
I read Dr. Trock's book about healing Fibromyalgia after seeing an article about him in a local newspaper. It was the first book I've ever read on Fibro that states even though each patient has different symptoms and stressors, the condition usually stems from previous central nervous system trama or prolonged stress. I was totally impressed by the scope of his knowledge and in my opinion, he has a lot of new and innovative ideas regarding the diagnosis and treatment of this condition. He advocates a complete patient history and physical examination to determine exactly where the problem lies. His solutions for relief and possible cure are multifacited and geared to each specific patient. I had the priviledge of being able to make an appointment to see him, as his practice is located in my home town. He had a kind, sensitive demeanor, and took all the time necessary to listen to me describe my symptons and conduct a full history and physical examination. Apparently, his diagnosis was correct, because in the short time I have been going to him, I feel 100% better. The medication he prescribed has given me a new lease on life and I can now walk without pain and stiffness. I've started doing mild stretching exercises and I can't believe how easily I can get down on the floor and get back up again. I just couldn't do that before. I would recommend Dr. Trock's book to anyone suffering not only from fibromyalgia, but any cronic pain condition. This book is a multi-faceted encyclopedia for pain management and stress relief. I can't recommend it highly enough. Thank you Dr. Trock for giving me back my life!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2007
The only thing I took from this book was that a multi-pronged approach is best. There is no cure for FMS, and I find his suggestion insulting. I am a realistic optimist, not a "pie in the sky" one. To believe is not to receive! I stay positive most of the time, and I'm a calm, mild-mannered person. I have plenty of love in my life, but I am not cured. His "3-Step Solution" is too simplistic.
on June 4, 2007
This book is a review of current Allopathic medications, alternative medicine techniques,along with recommended lifestyle and dietary highlights.I didn't learn anything new here.Even though he keeps talking about the importance of finding a compassionate physician,eventually he has a chapter where the patients who follow these recommendations and have a positive attitude are "better". The patients who remain overwhelmed by their illness or "negative" don't rise to the occasion when he wanted them to and are deemed"not getting better". A positive outlook is important for any illness,but it can't heal Fibromyalgia.If this were Cancer or Diabetes and he proposed this as a cure-you'd call him a quack,but because this is a disease that was labeled female hysteria in the beginning-it remains.Speaking of quack he is on a web page labeled Quackery- for a conviction in Texas-just google his name.Lupus was also called a hysterical female illness until women started dying in droves.Upon further examination,auto immune disease was discovered to be the cause.A new Medical Specialty-Rheumatology- was born.
This book is clearly written from the outside in.Someone who has danced around the periphery and come up with their "cocktail" for success-that hinges on remaining stoic or giving in to overwhelming depression in the face of a catastrophic uncurable illness.Anyone dealing with this illness either stays positive or not and still is sick.If a patient were cured they wouldn't be depressed any longer. They wouldn't still be having to follow a complicated treatment plan that leaves them with good days and bad days at best.Fibromyalgia still remains an incurable disease. It's disappointing that an M.D. has put forth a cure that depends on a patients state on mind-every day-as a basis for "cure".That's not scientific in the Allopathic medical model.It also leaves you with a glaring example of why doctors are so maligned.In the absence of a real cure,after making the recommended changes, you either then present with a good attitude or are abandoned as having a bad attitude and being uncurable.Rubbish!! Don't fall for it.Sick people have enough problems without this malarkey.A positive attitude will always help you deal with every chronic illness.Maybe someday we will begin by defining the exact pathophysiology of this illness.That and only that, will be the first step in finding a cure or the utilization of available resources until one is found. On a personal note,I go to bed and pray that tomorrow will be a good day and wake up every day expecting to do well,but that doesn't make it so.His examples of Elaine and Donna-the good and bad patients are so insulting,and would fit right in with misogynist papers written in the 1950's. In light of the millions of patients that live with this every day,shame on you Doctor, for reducing these complex problems to a one dimensional equation that doesn't add up!
on May 12, 2014
I would and have recommended this book to people I know that have Fibromyalgia and are looking for answers that make sense. Also, the suggestions in this book do not have you doing out and buying outlandish products that are not going to help. It teaches you how to help yourself. It educates you. This is The Bible of Fibromyalgia. Thank God finally having the answers to the questions that I have wanted to know for years now.
on January 8, 2014
Informative, empowering, very readable. From an experienced, sensitive physician who doesn't preach or patronize. Lots of background information here as well as day to day survival tools.
on August 20, 2015
got more information from doing web searches. This book seems old school and is like a book report rather than a guide to solving problems.