Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on February 9, 2002
I highly recommend Donald Epstein's most readable book, Healing Myths, Healing Magic.
Pick any chapter that appeals to you, read it, and it stands on its own.
Like most anything Donald does, it is absolutely profound and thought provoking; so for me reading a chapter or two and then digesting the information for awhile works best.
Inevitably, in this book, Donald will label a myth something that you have held as fact, and this is where you will need some time to digest, but don't discount what he is saying too readily: Having attended Donald's seminars for years, I can tell you that sometimes it takes me two years to really understand something he has told me.
Donald Epstein created the most profoundly elegant and amazing healing system on the planet, Network Spinal Analysis (NSA) about 20 years ago. I have been learning how to practice NSA for the last five years.
Every practitioner, whether MD, DC, DO, PhD, LMT, or any person interested in healing needs to read this book. I have a whole library of books related to healing, and this book is the star of the collection, you need this book.
God Bless,
Hans Conser
on February 17, 2000
Dr. Donald Epstein, in his third book, illustrates how we can effortlessly extricate ourselves from the many illusory traps constructed by our culture, by simply recognizing and declaring, "The Emperor isn't wearing any clothes!" Dr. Epstein elucidates with compassion, insight, and wit how we can use the Magic of our true nature, our inner wisdom, to break the evil spells, to dispel the myths which disempower us and impede our own healing. This is such a precious gift at a time when much of society has grown weary of the old paradigm ("Biomedical Myths") of placing more trust in the power of technology than in the power of Life, and is skeptical of a newer paradigm ("New Age Myths") which puts more faith in exotic treatments outside of us than in the profound genius inside of us. Healing Myths, Healing Magic is a magical antidote to the veil of enchantment lowered over our eyes by late 20th century social and religious institutions. Dr. Epstein gently and respectfully clarifies many areas in which we have interpreted certain ideas and precepts in ways which do not serve us or empower us ("Social Myths" and "Religious Myths"). Every page, every brief, simple yet profoundly illuminating chapter, finds the reader feeling more validated and empowered, as each new gem sparkles with the simple yet brilliant truth of common sense. You'll find yourself exclaiming, "YES! I've always felt that way inside! Thank God someone else finally has the courage and vision to call illusions, illusions. Now I can live my life according to my true nature. Now I can trust my body, and my SELF, again." Read this book and set yourself free.
on February 5, 2000
For years, I've wanted a book that I could recommend to my patients that could help free them from the tyranny of "expert" opinion of the healing capabilities of their bodies and minds. This is that book!
As the title suggests, it gently,eloquently, and methodically lays aside many of the myths that most of us grew up with regarding the nature of healing, both physically and emotionally. The arguments against each myth are backed up with logic, moving anecdotes from Epstein's personal experience as a doctor, and with citations from medical statistics and from other authors. This is a book you can read cover to cover, or just savor one short chapter at a time before going to bed. One thing that sets this book apart from others is that Epstein challenges what he calls "New Age myths" such as, "I must understand my feelings in order to heal" or "I am responsible for creating my own reality". Epstein's emphasis on experiential evolving (what he calls eating from the Tree of Life) as opposed to trying to "figure out" one's healing path (the Tree of Knowledge) is refreshing and is backed up with numerous stories of people healing without "doing everything right". There's something for everyone in this book. You're sure to find at least one myth that will push your buttons! Enjoy!
on April 21, 2000
This is a book that will be useful to both health practitionners as well as patients.The book challenges us to look at our body, mind and spirit in a new way.I discovered that what I was thought in school and what I had learned in life through countless hours of studying and post doctoral work can be repositionned in a new way.This book is a shift of paradigm on many levels.
on April 6, 2000
In Healing Myths, Healing Magic, Donald Epstein examines the deeply ingrained stories and myths we commonly hold about how our bodies heal. Some these myths may actually inhibit healing. These myths have a powerful, magically suggestive effect on the way we interpret our symptoms, the way we heal, and the quality of life we experience. Epstein argues that our capacity to heal is more often affected by society's collective myths than by our personal circumstances, symptoms, or disease. Our myths can create the magic of healing in our lives, or they can stop the magic completely. Healing Myths, Healing Magic is a seminal, breakthrough treatise that divided healing myths into four categories: Social, Biomedical, Religious, and New Age. He then exposes each myth individually and suggests an alternative statement or "Healing Magic" to help the reader reclaim his or her own body's natural ability to heal. Healing Myths, Healing Magic is important, highly recommended reading for students of alternative medicine, traditional medicine, and mind/body metaphysics.
on November 16, 2011
Healing Myths Healing Magic by Donald M. Epstein is a book to challenge you to change your beliefs about healing that are actually just myths. Be ready to change your previous way of thinking about healing and huge changes can come your way!

Healing Myths Healing Magic is a book that really spoke to me. Many myths about healing (and life in general) are set into our way of thinking from when we are young kids up to where we are now in life. Breaking these myths is not an easy thing to do. However, they can be broken with some serious thought and determination on your own part. I tried really hard to do this while reading the book, and I think that I have a few broken so far.

To really get the most out of this book, I suggest reading it through all the way. Then go back and read only one or two chapters at a time to really let it absorb into your knowing and consciousness. Actively work on transforming your prior beliefs so that they work better for you. When you feel that you have changed those beliefs, and then move on to the next few. If some you want to work on first, work on those - order isn't really important.

This is a book that could really change your life and help you to heal. I highly recommend it.

* Thank you to the publisher of Healing Myths Healing Magic, Amber Allen, for providing me with a copy of this book for review. All opinions expressed are my own.
on March 3, 2000
Myths and stories surround the healing process - myths which can inhibit healing. From circumstances where healing is difficult or impossible to choices not followed, Healing Myths Healing Magic examines healing myths and exposes and religious, social and medical frameworks for their origins. An important survey.
on February 5, 2000
Through the ages, we've acquired stories, or myths, about the way things are, the way they have to be. Dr. Epstein does a remarkable service to humanity by putting these myths into a different perspective. Through this book we learn that things may not be done for the reasons we thought.
We definitely learn that while we may need others to be our tour guides or coaches, healing is an inside job.
Dr. Epstein is a skilled author, taking the reader on a journey from what has been, to what is.
This book is a must read for anyone wishing to discover where responsibility for healing comes from.
on July 23, 2013
Donald Epstein has written a marvelous book that clearly explains what true healing entails. He compares healing with curing. The former works with root causes at the energetic level, while the latter deals more with symptoms which is kind of like a band-aid approach that only addresses superficial issues. Essentially, Dr. Epstein helps us to understand how the healing process can empower us, whereas seeking a cure will not enable us to experience the innate power that we gave away---which is what contributed to the original disturbance. This book is well written, filled with stories to help us understand the energy-oriented constructs, and goes into great depth and detail on the subject. I highly recommend this book, as well as all of Dr. Epstein's books.
on February 19, 2015
Extremely provocative read! Epstein states commonly held "myths" about healing and then explains, for each one, why it isn't true. There are many, many myths presented, and whether or not you agree with his viewpoint, it is useful to question these beliefs that are deeply embedded in the psyche. He also approaches these beliefs from a variety of different paradigms: the myths that come from religious thinking, New Age thinking, societal beliefs, etc., which I found fascinating and extremely educational.