Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 6, 2009
This book is well written and easy to read. I have not finished it yet, but I can tell it will be a good reference book for me. As a Christian, I am fascinated with the Biblical essential oils and the author brings out some amazing things about each one. The cultural background she provides to explain how they were used in Bible times is so beneficial. My only wish is that she didn't reference the "Young Living" brand of oils so much. But I understand that is her personal experience, so her only reference point. People need to realize that there are many reputable essential oil companies today that make e.o. blends that are either identical to or extremely similar to Y.L. oil blends. I own one of them. Our oils are absolutely top quality (therapeutically), and are soooo much more reasonable. There is no reason why people should have to pay so much to get wonderful, healthy results from e.o.s. So I would encourage the reader to gain insight from this book, but to shop around for the oils the author references. Go to [...] for excellent quality and affordability.
88 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2007
Although the book is a welcome addition to those of us that are Christian and also have healing ministries, it has a glaring deficiency. The author is obviously a distributor for Young Living essential oils- and uses this book to promote her association with them. It's a shame, really, as the content of the book without reference to this company would make it a 4 star review.

I have been an aromatherapist for over a decade, and know how much essential oils should cost. YL oils are many, many times the price of similar oils available from other companies. As a Christian, I simply cannot gouge my customers and excuse it with an explanation that the essential oils I sell are somehow 'superior' to other essential oils. In a MLM company there is significant 'overhead' to pay people up the line from you when a customer makes a purchase- and this 'overhead' is reflected in the purchase price.

The author clearly shows her lack of knowledge regarding the essential oil industry when on page 77 she states; "When you pick up a frankincense for $12, you can rest assured it is not a quality oil". Young Living's price for 15 ml (1/2 ounce) of frankincense is over $90.00 according to the pricing on their website. I pay less than that for a POUND of frankincense which has been GC/MS tested by an ISO registered company. Even after I re-package the product in a 15 ml bottle and retail it to my customers, the most I would charge for this would be $10 to $15, which is in line with what many other retailers are charging. There are MANY reputable companies selling essential oils for reasonable prices- and it doesn't mean their oils are inferior.

So anyways, the bottom line on this review is to take from the book the good information the author provides on Biblical healing. If you do that and keep in mind that her knowledge in the essential oil industry is limited, it is worth the purchase price.
99 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2005
Having been a healer for several years now, it has been pleasant to discover how well Linda Smith adds to the Judeo-Christian perspective to such basic remedies as healing touch. Her background, of course, enhances it, but her clarity and organization make this a valuable addition to a healing lib...or an intro to healing.
on March 10, 2013
This was book was just what I needed - an historical overview, some of the basic chemical compounds, description for each oil and then practical use for today. It is easy to read & understand and I will use this book often as a resource for the essential oil classes that I teach.

I use another brand of essential oils but I did not mind that the author uses & explains her brand.

I would recommend this as a beginning book for anyone who wants to learn about essential oils & helping others to be well.
on November 29, 2010
This is a wonderful and practical guide for learning the healing benefits of essential oils and the laying of hands. I have taken two of Linda's aromatherapy courses and she is a top notch authority and inspirational teacher on the subject.
on October 15, 2008
Great source for knowing which oils to use and some of the techniques for using them.
on November 9, 2013
This book was recommended to me by an aromatherapist. I was looking for an introduction to the subject to facilitate the practice of other complementary modalities. Easy read, well organized, useful info. I haven't read any other books on the subject so I can't compare it to another. I'm glad I bought it.
on January 29, 2014
I am a Christian clinical massage therapist and work with therapeutic esstential oills so getting this book has been a real joy. It's beautifully presented and easy to understand and packed with great information....I wish I'd gotten it sooner!
on July 9, 2012
This is an in-depth, easy to read guide to the entire history of essential oils, from early biblical peoples through European practices all the way to modern times. I purchased this valuable book here on Amazon for 22 bucks, and it's worth every penny. Incredibly informative!
on June 23, 2012
I have found my life's calling. Linda Smith is a nurse and I am too. She describes the wonderful work of healing with prayer, hands on touch and aromatherapy, bringing back traditions from Judeo-Christianity. What a wonderful combination. It's my desire to follow her lead. She is the director of the Institute for Spirituality and Aromatherapy. May she be blessed by her life's work.