on November 20, 2011
After reading this amazing book, I promise you no other instruction is necessary to begin the practice of these ancient healing techniques. Dorothea Hover-Kramer is a master at explaining and demystifying these simple, powerful energetic skills that each of us hold literally in our own hands.

Recently my eighty year old husband took a serious head first tumble down a flight of steep stairs. Among his injuries were two dislocated fingers and severe shoulder pain amongst several other areas of trauma. He was transported to the hospital after the EMT's strapped him to a back board fearing paralyses from broken bones after viewing the sheer length and angle of the stairwell. On my way out the door to follow the ambulance to the hospital, I grabbed Dorothea Hover-Kramer's new book Healing Touch. I remembering reading in Healing Touch how focused energy from the palms of our hands acts similarly to the ways in which "mechanical" ultrasound penetrates the body.

In between ex-rays, I-V's and a thousand questions from the hospital staff, I placed my right hand between the backboard and my husband's shoulder and my left hand above his heart. Focusing my attention, my hands grew hot and I saw relief spread over my husband's face as he began to relax. While quite bruised, has no permanent damage. Call his rapid healing (playing golf in one month) luck or lack of any true serious injury, ether way I know that Healing Touch made quite a contribution.

This five star book is a must have in every home. Dawn Novotny LCSW
VINE VOICEon November 15, 2011
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Many books only give general overviews or amount to little more than product advertising paid for by the buyer of the product. In this instance, that is NOT the case. The book is easy to read, yet has considerable background material and actual basic things that can be learned and used without buying any other books or taking classes. It is an excellent entry point into the field of "healing touch" for personal and family use. A reader will not be in a position to turn this book into a practice for income - but it is not designed for that anyway. It is intended to be for family and personal use.

One thing that is simply amazing to us is that it appears to work, and appears to go beyond placebo effect (I'm skeptical by nature, and was pleasantly surprised by the book).

If a reader wants to begin to explore "healing touch," this is an excellent entry point.

And the price is VERY reasonable.

We reserve 5-star ratings for the very best of the very best. So a 4-star rating in this case should not be interpreted as an only luke warm recommendation - it is not! This is almost a 5-star rating.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Dorothea Hover-Kramer is both an extraordinary woman - she holds a Doctorate in Education, she is a Registered Nurse, a writer and teacher, the founding elder of Healing Touch, a co-founder of the International Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology, a director of Behavioral Health Consultants and a professional psychotherapist - and an innovative healer. Some readers may see this book on the shelf and think 'ah, another loopy person performing magic for money', but nothing could be further from the truth. This gifted woman shares her field of Healing Touch in this book in a manner that makes the reader not only believe in the powers she addresses, but by the end of the book she teaches the reader how to utilize these powers not only to calm the life of the reader but to share this technique with family, friends, and others in need of care.

'Healing Touch', according to the explanations given in the books PR, 'is one of the most accepted and widespread energy-healing modalities in the world. With more than a hundred hospitals in the US and Canada using energy medicine as part of their regular care, the number of people who have learned Healing Touch has surpassed 100,000 and several thousand have become certified practitioners. This practical guidebook is the first to give instruction in some of the foundational and easily learned methods in an introductory format. Presented by founding elder Dr. Dorothea Hover-Kramer, Healing Touch takes readers through 18 fundamental exercises for applying this scientifically validated energy medicine for yourself and others.'

But in addition to this researched evidence, Dr. Hover-Kramer shares in her introduction the following words that define her approach to the reader and to the recipients of her shared knowledge: 'All of life is imbued with energy, the nonmaterial life force that is dramatically absent when life ends. Science is showing us that we humans are indeed energy beings with a vibrational field that communicates information within the physical body as well as within the creative mind. Allowing ourselves to sense the 'quiet light' within is a natural human potential. We can extend this inner light to express caring for others and to alleviate suffering.' After thoroughly discussing the energy fields that are within and without each of us, the good doctor then takes us through the steps in learning how to cleanse the spirit and the body with first setting the mind and energy state of the practitioner, then moving the stresses from the body with cleansing techniques, applying touch to areas in need of release of negative energy, embracing the chakras with meditation, and ultimately teaching the steps of a Healing Touch Sequence.

Dr. Hover-Kramer encourages the reader to participate in her lessons, knowing that only one who has experienced the Healing Touch can convincingly practice it on others. It is this inordinately warm sharing of concept and free offering of instruction that makes this book so memorable to read and so valuable to use. In a time when the compassion of the healing arts is being choked by the business and politics of medicine, this addendum to the relief of mental and physical suffering is a fine adjunct to the complete approach to patients - be those who are suffering from pain of disease, from post-operative pain, or simply the unspoken trauma of living in a world where such simple yet effective measures can offer a better life. Grady Harp, September 11
VINE VOICEon November 1, 2011
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book provides a nice introduction to the most accepted complementary healing technique. The book is divided into four sectioins. The first provides the background of the method. The second deals with the theory, science and research suporting energy medicine in general and healing touch in particular. The third portion supplies some basic techniques including ink drawings and cogent explanations. The final portion deals with suggestions for implementing,developoing and enhancing a healing practice. The book is nicely written with stories enlivening some of the drier text.

I particuarly liked the thrid section which outlines some basic techniques. They are quite easy to follow. A beginner will be able to use them with a little practice. Experienced healers may be inspired to incorporate some of the techniques into their routines. I found the chakra rotation exercise expecially helpful.

This is a nice introductory book. It is not hyper technical and easy to read. I appreciated the list of exercises and diagrams. It made them easy to find without having to slog through the whole book. It has value for both both the novice and seasoned healer alike.
on March 16, 2013
This is an intellectual read about the art of healing touch although I would appreciate more illustrations and photographs to ponder as I practice this therapy.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I first became interested in energy healing when I read The Energy Cure: Unraveling the Mystery of Hands-on Healing a while back. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the subject, but I am intrigued.

I found Healing Touch to be an interesting read. It is very straightforward and humbly written. It contains lots of useful information; not only does it describe and illustrate various techniques for using energy medicine, but it also gives a bit of historical background on the subject, as well as tips for centering yourself (calming yourself down) that can be used any time, whether you are giving energy medicine or not.

I also appreciated the parts of the book that talk about intuition and how important it is to pay attention to your inner voice.

I learned a lot from reading this book and am definitely interested in learning more about energy medicine. From the little I have put it into practice (my husband let me use him as a guinea pig), I have found that it actually does help to calm anxiety.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
You may already have heard of varieties of energy medicine such as Reiki or Therapeutic Touch. Dr. Dorothea Hover-Kramer, a psychologist and clinical nurse specialist has dedicated more than 30 years to teaching Healing Touch, a non-invasive therapy classified by the National Institutes of Health as a "biofield" therapy because its effects are thought to be due to manipulation of energy fields around the body. This therapy is considered a Holistic Therapy and it is frequently used as an adjunct to medical treatment. This is her ninth book on energy therapies.

According to the theory, the Healing Touch practitioner uses a conscious, intentional process of directing energy through their hands to the patient either by contacting the patient's energy field and/or touching the body. Healing Touch uses additional specific techniques for direction and modulation of energy.

While this may seem a bit far-fetched to some people, it appears that it is becoming more mainstream, especially among nurses who deal the most directly with patients. I'm sure that many people scoffed at the idea of curing anything with mold, but that was the birth of penicillin. At any rate, I am always open to new ideas and this has had enough success that it should be seriously considered.

The book is very well written, and contains illustrations hand positions and healing exercises. You can feel the author's passion and desire to help heal others. The book's message boils down to this: healing touch is a teachable, non-mystic, non-invasive art. Scientific understanding of why HT works (along with many other energy therapies) is in its infancy, but the results cannot be ignored. If you learn Healing Touch and apply it to yourself and others with confidence, you just may find some surprisingly good results.
on November 20, 2011
This gem of a book from Dr. Dorothea Hover-Kramer is a wonderfully readable, user-friendly introduction to Healing Touch for anyone interested in learning more about this field of energy medicine. Reading the draft a year ago was life-changing for me, a holistic family physician. I found this book so enticing and persuasive that I have already completed the first 3 of 5 levels of Healing Touch training, and plan to continue my studies.

Dr. Hover-Kramer presents succinct information on the history of Healing Touch, as well as scientific evidence and studies which show its effectiveness. This is enticingly interspersed with true "in-the-field" stories of actual healing touch treatments and their effects. Included are several easily-learned H.T. techniques for self-treatment and for treatment of family and friends. The explanations and illustrations are simple to follow, and the techniques themselves amazingly effective.

I strongly recommend this book is you are curious about energy medicine, want to learn how to use Healing Touch, or are considering further study in this field.

Dorothea has also written more excellent in-depth books on Healing Touch: Healing Touch Guidebook, Practicing the Art and Science of Human Caring - the "bible" of Healing Touch for students and practitioners; Creating Healing Relationships: Professional Standards for Energy Therapy Practitioners - ethics and self-care for H.T. practitioners
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was really interesting, and I enjoyed reading it. I had trouble reading some of the history stuff (but that's probably because I just don't have a lot of patience). I kept thinking "okay, I believe you, now show me how!

The instructions were rather clear, but I would have liked more drawings. I felt like the whole book was history and information--which is important--but that only a little bit of it was actually instructional. It would have been easier to read it if the information had been better mixed in to the instructional.

On a side-note, as a sci-fi/fantasy writer, this book makes an excellent inspiration/source for writing about the supernatural!
on December 30, 2011
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you've been looking for ways to help heal yourself and others through energy healing this is actually a good place to start. Mind you, you will have to do some work. And just to warn you, this is just a beginner's book, if you want to get really into it you have to go to the classes.

Personally, I didn't really understand where the classes took place after looking around on the internet, there were no practitioners or instructors near where I live (or even in my state) so I figure this is book has some good starting techniques for energy field work then I will move on to another book that has a deeper content in it.

The first and second parts of Hover-Kramer's book (the first third of it) is about how the method of the Healing Touch got started and I was pleased that so many nurses were actually looking for a way to help their patients beyond modern medicine by using intuitive instinct, that impressed me. That they've been doing it for over 20 years impressed me more, probably because I've never heard of it and I have siblings who are nurses and I'm pretty sure they've never done it.

Nowadays it's acknowledged by the medical community to accompany modern medicine practices in helping patients heal quicker, give them relief or peace of mind.

How? By using noninvasive methods to clear a person's biofields (energy fields we have around us and the different layers of them) and chakras which can get congested with stress, illness and trauma.

In part three they show the exercises I was impressed by these mostly because it's a very good foundation (and what I was looking for) in helping yourself so that your emotions and energy frequencies are stronger and more stable.

One of their biggest points is that if you can't take good care of yourself, how are you going to take care of someone else? Especially if you're a caregiver. I mean, if you feel like crap you don't care if others do too.

The types of exercises are doing things like: affirmations (which gets you in a present and positive state of mind), clearing chakras and your biofields, a lot of work is on chakras, clearing and grounding yourself and how to do it quickly if there is an emergency.

Rarely in a self-help (and helping others) book have I seen it really focus on helping the care-giver. And I truly was impressed at the attention this form of energy healing takes in this account mostly because you can use them for yourself as well as others and like any good teacher she has stories that show how the method of healing worked in real life so you can see a good way to implement it in your daily life.

In the last part of the book Hover-Kramer tells how to find a practitioner, a mentor or clients as well as how you can actually use these techniques to help in real life, in what situations they could be used.

I give it 5 stars. She tells you it is a beginner book, but even for a beginner book she gives a lot of guidance into some simple but helpful energy work.

She explains how to do the exercises, they aren't difficult, anyone could do them if they applied themselves and she does have drawings that show hand positions as well as clear instructions on how to work with others you may be trying these on.