5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very very best self-healing books!
I've known Larry (the author) since the old times when everyone in medicine seemed to scoff professionally at his interest in the healing power of prayer. Now, quite rapidly, science is catching up with Larry's insights, and we realize just how powerfully our thoughts, spiritual and otherwise, influence our physical bodies.
Larry's book still stands as a classic...
Published on June 2, 1999 by John Selby

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok
This book says nothing new for those who already believe prayer works. It doesn't also give any true scientific evidence as it claimed it would to say how prayer works. Feel good books for those already convinced of power of prayer
Published 22 months ago by L. Brehm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very very best self-healing books!, June 2, 1999
John Selby (Kilauea, HI USA) - See all my reviews
Larry's book still stands as a classic presentation of the power of prayer in healing. His text offers a very complete presentation of the large amount of research that has in fact been conducted, to prove the power of prayer. And from reading this book, you discover from the studies, what works and what doesn't, which prayer variables are active and which don't matter ... really astounding insights come from this book - plus pragmatic guidelines for how we can all use our own minds and our link with the divine, no matter our particular religious preference, for helping us gain and maintain optimum health - and helping others as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nonlocal mind and the (possible) power of prayer, July 16, 2001
It's probably tempting to dismiss this book as "New Age" claptrap. That would be a mistake.

In fact Dossey is highly critical of the "New Age" movement. And despite some overblown cover blurbs, he doesn't claim to have "proven" anything about the power of prayer in healing; he's making suggestions and exploring possibilities, not laying down law.

Nor, for the most part, is his speculation wild or unfounded. His suggestions are founded on two things: empirical research that seems to show prayer is effective in promoting the biological growth of certain forms of life under controlled laboratory conditions, and the theological/philosophical view that reality is ultimately a single, universal, "nonlocal" Absolute Mind.

However controversial these foundations might be, he presents his suggestions with proper caution. And he is especially careful to avoid falling into the New Age blame-the-patient trap; he is well aware that prayer doesn't always achieve the results we might like and that this isn't because somebody has done something to "choose" or "deserve" ill health.

On the contrary, he has a healthy sense that prayer is really (though this language isn't quite his) for the purpose of adjusting us to the Divine Will rather than vice-versa. (Anthony de Mello tells a story somewhere about a man who said, "In your country it is regarded as a miracle when God does the will of a human being. In my country it is regarded as a miracle when a human being does the will of God.") On his view, the "power" of prayer is shown as much in our acceptance of our health limitations as in their elimination.

There are a couple of places where Dossey threatens to wander off the deep end (e.g. his suggestion that prayer can change the past), and there's a little bit of language (e.g. "Era I, Era II, and Era III") that recalls bad 1970s self-help books. But I really have only one bone to pick with Dossey: he tends at times to overstate the difference between his views and those of traditional, "classical" theism.

There is a tendency among those (of whom I am one, which is in part how I know this) who left their childhood religions in their early teens to assume, more or less unconsciously, that our understanding of such religion was complete at that time and none of its adherents understood any of the cool things we went on to discover for ourselves. It's hard to shake one's implicit belief that those hidebound "fundamentalists" couldn't _possibly_ have known any of this nifty "spirituality" stuff; "dogmatic" religion is, of course, the arch-enemy of "true" spirituality -- isn't it?

Dossey has a very mild tendency in this direction. In consequence I suspect he will occasionally leave more traditional religious believers with the sense that they are being misunderstood, patronized, or both.

But it doesn't happen very often, and it hardly happens at all in this book. On the whole, Dossey's approach tends to confirm rather than undermine the great theistic religions' view of prayer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information on prayer-based healing!, May 6, 2000
Dr. Dossey explains in HEALING WORDS how prayer-based healing works. It has been scientifically proven in hundreds of experiments to be a balanced part of health care that can significantly decrease health problems and significantly improve our quality and quantity of life. Dossey shares some of his own real-life stories of caring for patients... including an American Indian shaman, who requested Dr. Dossey's medical help for his aching neck! This book contains a wealth of information about prayer experiments written in Dossey's characteristically down-to-Earth style. I love the way Dossey raises questions about whether some prayer experiments are ethical, and why some scientists continue to resist the mounting body of evidence that so clearly shows how prayer has a powerful effect on healing.

5.0 out of 5 stars God, Allah, the Tao, Buddha=the non-local mind, August 10, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine (Paperback)
Dossey again displays an inquisitive intellect. This work transcends a narrow, dogmatic "god," to approach a universal "non-local" mind which encompasses and connects all existence. Dossey is cognizant of the power of words and emotion... of the impact they can have on humanity. This is not "New Age;" it is a modern compilation and interpretation of ancient wisdom. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read!, July 2, 2007
While conducting research on the power of prayer and healing, I was encouraged to get this book and I am so glad I did! I could not but this book down once I began to read it. This is a must read if you are interested in the subject. It is well written and it is based on true experiences in Dr. Dossey's practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practice makes perfect from The Healing Circle http://www.jmlamoreux.com/three.htm, October 28, 2009
"Healing Words" is one of the Dossey books we recommend to all the members of The Healing Circle. This is a mailing list of 138 people who utilize Dossey's theories of remote healing in everyday applications. Our "Bible" is this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Five Books of all Time, November 4, 2009
An incredible journey into the world of science and the evidence that prayer not only works, but works well. And it proves that prayer, both good and bad, is both non-local and non-linear, or not constrained by space or time.
There are far too many important facets and issues of prayer that Dr. Dossey covers, that I won't even try to cover them all here. Suffice to say that science itself has conclusively proven the power of prayer, and any "health" provider who ignores that fact and doesn't incorporate it is an arrogant one.
I never tired of reading this book, or of recommeding it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing words, July 28, 2013
Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine Even though this book was originally written in 1993, it stands today as a modern classic on prayer and its mysterious effect on our health, society, mind, our relationships with others cross time and space, even to the extent how we relate to non-human inanimate objects. One can benefit from this book an enormous amount of insights not just in the practice of praying, but also, even you don't pray, in relating to many unexplainable phenomenon we experience often in life. My own experience with the unexplainable incidences where my parents know so accurately (and often instantly) what happens to me in my home/family that is 6,000+ miles away from where they live testifies there must be subatomic level activities among human brain or mind activities. My mom called me from China few times to tell me that I should not argue with my wife usually shortly after I had a fight with my wife; or my dad called from China to ask me if I'm alright right after I had an accident without my mentioning anything unusual in my life. By reading Larry's book, I no longer feel strange or spooked by regular detections of my activities by close relatives who live far away. On the contrary, the book's content makes me feel connected, alive and ever more optimistic about life and myself! Very few books I read (I have a library of nearly 10,000 books) have been able to do this to me. I recommend this book to all who cares about their own well being and the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Renewed belief in prayer, June 30, 2006
This book reaffirmed my belief in prayer, and helped me to better understand its healing powers.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE LANDMARK BOOK ABOUT PRAYER AND HEALING, July 19, 2011
Dr. Larry Dossey (born 1940) is a medical doctor who helped establish the Dallas Diagnostic Association, and was Chief of Staff of Medical City Dallas Hospital in 1982, and is the former Executive Editor of the journal "Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine." He is also the author of books such as Recovering the Soul: A Scientific and Spiritual Approach, The Extraordinary Healing Power of Ordinary Things: Fourteen Natural Steps to Health and Happiness, Reinventing Medicine: Beyond Mind-Body to a New Era of Healing, Prayer Is Good Medicine: How to Reap the Healing Benefits of Prayer, etc.

He wrote in the Preface to this 1993 book, "A few years ago, I was surprised to discover a single scientific study that strongly supported the power of prayer in getting well... I began to probe the scientific literature for further proof of prayer's efficacy. I found an enormous body of evidence... The question I THEN had to deal with made me very uncomfortable: What was a personally going to DO with this information? Would I ignore it, or allow it to affect the way I practiced medicine?"

Here are some additional quotations from the book:

"The fact that prayer doesn't work as powerfully and predictably as it might, therefore, may reflect deficiencies not or prayer, but of the pray-er." (Pg. 3)
"Michael Lerner, Ph.D. ... has not found any cure for cancer among the many unconventional methods he examined, and little scientific evidence that such methods extend life beyond what would be achieved with conventional treatments." (Pg. 35)
"Critics may object that the Soviet experiments and the thousands of similar studies done in other laboratories around the world deal with the transmission of 'thoughts,' not prayers. But thoughts transmitted to others are never 'just' thoughts... Thus there seems to be no reason in principle NOT to extend the implications of the Soviet-type experiments to prayer." (Pg. 79)
"Why did the three patients improve? ... The placebo effect---the power of suggestion in the patients themselves---may have been at work." (Pg. 134)
"(Native American healer Rolling Thunder) went on to explain his personal philosophy of healing. There is a time for the shaman's chants, prayers, and herbs, he said. There is also a place for a modern approach, including the use of synthetic chemical medications. A wise healer uses what works. He does not confine himself to a single methodology. All things considered, Rolling Thunder believed the use of drugs was the best treatment for his neck in this situation." (Pg. 144)
"Prayer can act as a placebo: A person who merely knows that he or she is being prayed for can mobilize healing energies that can be awesomely potent." (Pg. 166)
"Why didn't Group II---Christians praying for themselves in privacy---improve? The explanation of the researchers was that 'something was wrong with prayer as understood and practiced' by them... This is unconcinving; for it ignores the fact that the prayerless Group I patients also 'received,' and did not even ask." (Pg. 175)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine
Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine by Larry Dossey (Paperback - January 19, 1995)
$14.99 $12.48