5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best out there!!!
Published on August 24, 2011 by Tigerlillee

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I gave as a gift
Published 1 month ago by Dan Ballard

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best out there!!!, August 24, 2011
I have read countless books on dealing with my compulsive eating. I've suffered through this disorder for over 25 years and had almost given up hope until I read this book. My compulsive eating has nothing to do with willpower. It's all about learning to live again outside of food. As with many people with eating disorders, food became a friend to me, someone I could turn to when I was sad, scared, or angry. This book guides you through the process of dealing with the intense emotions that food has soothed. It also helps you learn to view food like "normal" people view it... as sustenance for an empty belly. I truly believe that this book has saved my life. Thank you, Joanna.

5.0 out of 5 stars enlightening & supportive, August 7, 2011
I'm half way through Healing Your Hungry Heart, and finding the book so enlightening - Joanna's story of her own recovery journey makes you warm to the author and makes you feel that she is more than just an experienced eating disorders therapist. But this isn't an autobiography, it's a genuine, self-help book - the chapters and exercises on secrets and boundaries help to reveal so much about yourself and what drives your eating disorder, several times already they have hit on things that have reduced me to tears, but healing tears, positive tears that help me to understand myself and acknowledge things. This book is definitely worth a read if you are serious about tackling your eating disorder, in fact it's the kind of book that you will revisit over and over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another Eating Disorder recovery book!, August 10, 2011
Healing Your Hungry Heart is like no other eating disorder recovery book I've ever read (and I've read a lot!). I've been following Joanna Poppink's blogs on her website for the 18 months since I started my recovery work. Her wisdom and honest approach in her blogs became a life line during my "Great Terror" moments (as she describes them in the book). I had high expectations for this book and she has surpassed those expectations. This isn't another "eat this" and "do this" book, or a book that paints recovery as sunshine and roses if you just have the right attitude. This book is honest. The way she describes life with an eating disorder could only done by someone who has fought this horrible disorder herself. This book paints a realistic picture of what needs to happen for true recovery, what the struggle is going to feel like, but also what rewards are waiting on the other side of the battle. Joanna doesn't want her readers to settle for gaining control over their eating issues, but rather pushes her readers to take a holistic view of their entire Life. I suggest this book to those just starting recovery as well as those, like myself, who have already traveled away down the road of recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind, Body, and Spirit Approach to Treating Eating Disorders, February 11, 2013
Leora (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
Joanna Poppink does an amazing job in this book of creating an incredibly readable guide for healing from eating disorders. I really love this book. It's brilliant, so full of wisdom and gems so astute and soft spoken and gentle that you feel as though you're being touched by a loving mother rather than told what to do. The tone of it is just healing. What I love so much about Healing Your Hungry Heart is how personally touching it is. Joanna writes as if she's sitting there in the room with you, holding your hand and saying, "yes, I've been there, I know what it's like, but look at me, I've really found peace with food, it's so hard, but I know that you can do it too, and I'm here to help you." She shares her own personal experiences with a crippling case of bulimia that followed her all the way to her early 40′s. She goes deeply in depth to discuss the issues that are underneath the eating disorder such as not understanding how to adhere to boundaries and why that might be so. She discusses shame, anxiety, depression, sadness, angst, fear, distress, abuse, secrets and how you might be using food to heal yourself. She helps you with gentle exercises (meditation, breath work, affirmations) to cope with the intensity of life without food. This book is so gentle and very calming and soothing, it's like having someone right there with you, compassionately guiding you.
Another aspect that sets this apart from other books is that she identifies many of the common personality traits that co-occur with EDs. She has the reader ask themselves difficult questions such as: "do I have issues encroaching on other's boundaries? how is my eating related to that? how can I heal from that?" It gives the reader a lot of insight into their own behaviors, thoughts and feelings, not just around food, but in how they approach life. Having an eating disorder is not about food. This book does a great job of taking us away from the food and brings us to the underlaying issues that eating disorders come as a symptom of. I would suggest anyone dealing with an eating disorder or any doctor, nutritionist, therapist or other professional treating or working with eating disorders to read this book. I learned a great deal from this book. Joanna is obviously very brilliant and very insightful. Her work is a great value to the recovery community. I truly think that everyone who suffers from any kind of food issue should read it.
There is so much wisdom in this book, you'll have to read it several times, and each time you read it, you will discover something that you hadn't heard or perhaps weren't ready to grasp the first time. There are gems all throughout the book and I am confident that those who take her words to heart, you will come to find inner peace. Read this book and be well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Recovery Companion, February 12, 2012
For anyone who is struggling with an eating disorder and are truly ready for help - this is a book for you. Just to know that someone understands EXACTLY what you are going through and provides gentle and understanding knowledge to start you on the path to recovery.
Cos let's face it who really understands what we go through.... least of all ourselves :) - So it is with much relief that I found this book and started to work through the chapters. I was fascinated to learn more about my behaviours not only around food but how by having this eating disorder had severely impacted on other areas of my life -

I have just come through the "GREAT TERROR" Chapter 10 in the book explains this in great detail the mental, physical and emotional turmoil you will feel at some part in your recovery - As you start to make progress and your patterns and behaviours start to change to the new you, your body starts to go into "panic mode" And it feels like the Great Terror- It is simply your body adjusting to the changes you are making, and Joanna does not make it sound any more elaborate than what it really is! - This was pure hell for me but so comforting to know it was part of the process..... and infact an indicator that I was making progress!!!!

To help me through this I picked up HHH and picked a random page it took me to page 109 in the chapter Challenges to Eating Well. There it was- the metaphor that allowed me to shift this terror and see it differently. It gave an example of how I should treat my body as if it were a maltreated dog picked up in the Rescue shelter.....WOW- How it turned my mind around there and then as I thought of the dog and how I would treat it - How could I help it through this difficult phase in it's recovery + help it to feel safe in it's new environment - My response was to give it so much love and hugs and help it to feel safe+ most of all to give it "space" to adapt to it's new way of life and environment.

Right now I am in a new place and will quote another example Joanna gives in this admirable book- As you move through the different stages in recovery, it's important to give yourself time to settle into each new step you make before moving on- Joanna gives a fine example of this as likened to the Master Oil Painter who does infact allow each layer of his masterpiece dry and soak into the canvas before starting the next layer.

If you are ready to take the next step to healing your Eating Disorder, I highly recommend this book as your companion through your journey and also to join the community on the HHH website.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book -- inspiring and accessible, August 10, 2011
Heidi D. (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I am a practicing psychologist specializing in treating eating disorders. I often suggest books for my clients, and plan to make Healing Your Hungry Heart a frequent recommendation. I have had clients read the book and they love it as much as I do, especially the personal stories and meditations. I think readers will find the book to be accessible, and discover many "take-aways" that will aid in their recovery. The response from my clients so far: "Great book! I finally understand ... ". Thank you Joanna!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle, honest and beautifully written, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Healing Your Hungry Heart: Recovering from Your Eating Disorder (Kindle Edition)
An easy to read, smooth guide out of pain and into solutions. Joanna Popppink achieves a lovely balance of understanding, support and solid guidance toward recovery and toward healing emotional pain, fostering resilience and creating a strong sense of self. Her writing is poignant, clear, candid and inspiring. Her insights and ideas on boundaries and emotional terror are especially useful. I look forward to recommending it to my eating disorder clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, readable, helpful book!, August 16, 2011
Nina (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
As a psychotherapist specializing in treating bulimia and binge eating (and as someone recovered from my own struggle with disordered eating), I couldn't wait to read Healing Your Hungry Heart. Many books on this subject treat the disordered eating behavior as the problem, when it fact it is a symptom of the problem. I knew from the title, and from my familiarity with Joanna Poppink's work, that this would be different. Chapter 12 alone is worth the price of this fabulous book. When I finished it (moments ago) I couldn't wait to write about how much I loved it. Joanna's words resonated so powerfully with my experience as a therapist and with the part of me that was so wounded in the past. Not only did she perfectly capture the experience of someone in the grip of that terror and horror, she explained where that state comes from, and gave such great ideas about what to do about it. Really,really terrific!

5.0 out of 5 stars Raves for Healing Your Hungry Heart, August 6, 2011
In this remarkable guide for women with eating issues, Joanna Poppink's focus lies in guiding recovery. What woman hasn't coped with weight or body image! Even if you're not anorexic or bulimic,
these exercises -- repeated and magnified -- build your soul. After actually doing them, I recognize their impressive impact. And, I must say that Poppink's writing is lyrical and
lovely even as she tells her own dark secrets and the process that led to her recovery. A great contribution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only 1/3 through but have found "Me" and a desire for self-care​, July 23, 2014
Dear Joanna,
Thank you for your kind letter, which encouraged me even more to work on my recovery.

I started reading your book on ​July 20th, on my flight back home... only 1/3 through but have learned so much about feeling my feelings, recalling my past experiences and events, and understanding ​that the disorder was my protection from the harshness of life.

​I was divorced for 9 years, and had used the ED to numb my depressions and fears. I has wasted 9 years of my life, and it's too much... I want recovery more than anything in my life right now. Recovery is invaluable.

​Since 20th, I had not succumbed to it, though not without the urge to just pick up a load of binge foods for the short periods of ​​relief... but the recognition of the guilt, and having to tell lies, breaking boundaries and keeping secrets all add up to make the binge less attractive.

​I now feel a greater presence of "Me", and with this came a natural desire to want to take good care of myself, which leads to self-control.

​The exercises you prescribed - breathing, affirmations, journaling - are very effective and powerful.

​Thank you so much for your kindness and your great work... I will continue reading and practicing the exercises, and join an OA group when I return to the U.S.

I believe in Jesus and I believe Jesus + professional help = success/healing... well, this is my hope.

Meanwhile, if you think my experience could be helpful to your practice in any way, at any time, please let me know... I would like to help those suffering like me in any small way I can.

I can't thank you enough for the hope you have given to all of us... God bless you greatly.

Thank you.