From the Back Cover
Biopsychosocial to the core.
To truly understand the interconnections between psychology and health, you’ve got to take a look at the whole person. That’s why Edward Sarafino’s thoroughly updated Fifth Edition examines the dynamic interplay of biological, psychological, and social factors in people’s health.
Sarafino presents the most current thinking in the field, drawing on recent research and theory from psychology, sociology, anthropology, and biology. Throughout, the text explores life-span development in health and illness, as well as health and health-related behavior of people throughout the world.
This revised new Fifth Edition provides up-to-date coverage of such timely topics as:
- How stress affects health
- Coping processes and effects on health
- Stages of change and motivational interviewing in health promotion
- Substance abuse processes, prevention, and treatment
- Weight control
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Pain conditions and treatment
- Medical and psychosocial interventions for chronic illnesses
- Age, gender, and sociocultural differences in health and health promotion