Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon January 28, 2012
I have had my Health O Meter professional scale for almost forty years and it looks exactly like the one for sale here on amazon. I have always been a little weird about my weight....or maybe not. It's just that if I weigh 120 pounds, which I do in my dreams, I don't want to get on the scale and have it bounce down to 117 and then up to 124 and stick there, just because I moved a little while I was weighing myself. What good is that? I work hard to lose that 2 pounds, or maintain that 4 pound loss and I want to by gosh know exactly what I weigh. I had tried every kind of scale in existence at the time before I got my Health O Meter, and none of them gave me the same weight twice when I got on, then off, then on. No thank you. And they sure couldn't tell me if I weighed 119.25 or 120.75. Did I tell you I'm a little weird about my weight?

Wish there was an option for six or seven stars.
66 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2011
I was afraid the box would be too heavy, or awkward, to handle. I was afraid it would be difficult, or awkward, to set up. Wrong on both counts. There are two main pieces, the base and the pedestal. There are four nuts and a wrench. There is an instruction manual. Ta-da! Up and working. (My only problem was finding a screwdriver for adjusting the zero.) Model 400KL allows you to read weight in either pounds or kilograms, by rotating each of the two bars with the moving weights.
on April 20, 2006
One really needs a balance type scale. Less expesive spring scales do not stay accurate. This one is a good one.
on September 17, 2014
The scale itself appears well-made and solid. Good quick shipping and a great price for a scale of this quality.

One thing to be aware of that did not occur to me when I purchased this scale - the balance arm is sensative to any movement you might make while on the scale. This would likely be true of any balance beam scale you might purchase. My solution: upon stepping on the scale, I try to remain perfectly still while I carefully pinch the arrow on the balancing arm and hold it in the neutral range (perfectly perpendicular to the floor). I then gently release it and carefully adjust the counterweight, as necessary. The indicator arrow typically bounces up and down gently and eventually settles back in the neutral range. Once it settles to a minimal up-down bounce, you should have a reliable indication of your weight.

Although there is a little room for possible measurement error, I feel more comfortable knowing my weight within +/- 1/4 lb than the untrustworthy digital scale that showed pounds in 1/10 lb increments. Misleading accuracy and not all that meaningul over time if you are on a weight-loss regimen.
on April 19, 2013
It was a good price ---I got it in three days,, it was packed very good, it was very easy to put together, it looks cheap because it was made in China, but it works . It's true that it hard to see the numbers standing on the scales but all you have to do is balance the scales with your weight them step off and you can see numbers very well---but everyone is not a genius like me and could figured that out.
on January 11, 2007
Good, accurate item that really has helped me get a better idea of my weight.
on June 17, 2013
I like the scale ok as it does what it's meant to do and is nice and high and close to eye level. The only issue I have with it is that the numbers are so small that I have to put glasses on to read them. We had a similar scale many years ago and the numbers were much bigger and easier to read. It's well made and will probably outlive me.
on December 15, 2013
This is just the ticket. If you've used digital or analog scales, you've probably always been confused by the varying weights indicated. On a digital scale, you have to step on, let the weight register, step off, let the indicator return to zero, and then step back on to get the true weight. Even then it may be inaccurate. All digital scales require this "zero balance" in order to function properly. Analog scales are inherently unreliable because of the spring system and the difficult of determining the exact number indicated.

On this balance beam scale, there is no guesswork, no second weighing. It is exactly like the scales doctor's use in their offices, though a smaller, home model. It is VERY accurate and easy to use. Just step on, slide the balance weights until the indicator hovers in the center, step off and read your weight in either pounds or kilograms.

There is no guesswork on this instrument. When you first get it you have to bolt the top to the base, with the included wrench, and then adjust the balance to zero with a screwdriver. It's super simple to set up and even simpler to use.

It's a little difficult to read when you're actually standing on the scale if you're a tall person, but it's child's play to step off and then read it. The numbers are clear and easy to read, contrary to what some reviewers have said. I don't have 20/20, but don't wear glasses. I never have to use any kind of magnifier to read the numbers. Put it back to zero after using. That's all there is to it. It's perfect.

Some models evidently come with a height scale as well. Mine didn't, but there are screw holes pre-drilled to add this accessory later if you need it. Adults seldom change much in height, so it would have been a distraction and possibly an obstruction for me.
on May 22, 2015
My mother is 88 years old, with congestive heart failure. Her medications are based on "exact weight." The digital scales we purchased were not reliable because they fluctuated even up to 1 or 2 lbs when we weighed 2 or 3 times. Her Health O Meter scale is exact. She has had it many years. It is easy to use and doesn't take up much space. My mother lost consciousness while weighing one morning on her old and faithful Health O Meter and fell, pulling the scale over on the floor. It seemed broken. After dealing with the emergency, I hurried to order a new one knowing we had to have an accurate weight every day. The new scale was delivered within the week to replace the old broken one, BUT in the meantime my husband EASILY fixed the old one (I had determined of course it was not fixable- ha!)....sooooo now I had two scales: our old one AND a new one we did not need. This company was prompt and professional in assisting me to return it. I respect this company and I don't hesitate to refer to this company and their products. I took the new scale to UPS to return it and the shipping was $72.00, half the cost of the scale! So when all was said and done, we kept it, and then gifted it. The new scale had a gift inside the box! A kitchen scale! Mom needed a kitchen scale and we were in the process of looking at different ones to order. Another thing...the Health O Meter scale does not require any batteries. My parents have had the old scale since about 1998! It stays good!
on November 11, 2013
I love it. Although it tells me I am heavier than I would like to be, it is consistent. My old expensive bathroom scale changed if you moved it, stood differently on it or leaned slightly forward, sometimes by 10 pounds. This doesn't do that so I am confident I will be able to see if my diet changes are working!