Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth: The Surprising Unbiased Truth About How to Make Nutritious and Delicious Meals that are Ready When You Are
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on January 28, 2012
I cannot understand why this man isn't touted from the rooftops by every media outlet in the country. He's a certified nutritionist and PhD with a rock-solid grasp of sound nutritional science; he's a gifted speaker, a delightful writer; and he's provided us with a bevy of excellent books to use regularly in our efforts to eat good foods which really nourish the body. He's blissfully free of faddish attachments, and gives the government its due-- which is to say, he gives it the royal raspberry, regularly and with gusto. My surgeon father, PhD doctor of internal medicine brother, and endocrinologist uncle give Bowden a complete "thumbs up": which is really saying something, as they all believe most health books are sorely lacking. I heartily recommend ALL of Bowden's books, and this one for slow-cooking foods is a delightful, well-researched compendium that will set you on a path to easy meals for the whole family--- and they're DELICIOUS.
BUY this volume. BUY his other volumes, especially "Living Low Carb" to get started. Go to his website jonnybowden.com to read and learn. This fellow is a phenomenon, and his work deserves far more attention. THANK YOU, THANK YOU Dr. Bowden !!
22 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2012
I have been eating "clean" for about six months. There are quite a few cookbooks out there that are geared toward clean eating but present the recipes in such a militant, eat-like-this-or-die-tomorrow way. Jonny Bowden and Jeanette Bessinger (authors) simply suggest the healthiest, freshest ingredients, offer occasional blurbs on the health benefits of organic foods or grass-fed, free-range meats, and put them together in some truly delicious recipes. In today's times, a slow cooker can become a mother's best friend, and you'd be amazed what these authors have come up with to cook in the slow cooker. My favorite part of the book is that the paragraphs setting forth the cooking directions are always very short!
I cook and eat only healthy and delicious food and occasionally seek out cookbooks for new inspiration. The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth hits the mark perfectly.

For those of you who do not understand the importance of eating organic, grass-fed beef, read about it here. Ditto for tons of information on what healthy food really is. (One comment: the authors advise to eat only 100% grass fed beef and there are exceptions. My local farm feeds their free-range grass fed cattle the by-product of hops used to make beer from another local establishment in winter when grass is in short supply. So, while the beef may not be 100% grass fed, the meat is nutritious and the cattle are 100% free-range.)

I am most impressed with the wonderful variety of stocks--beef, vegetable, fish, chicken and more. I cook with stock all the time and proudly make mine from scratch. Make your own stock and become a better cook overnight! You cannot beat homemade stock to elevate any recipe that calls for stock. Hands on time is minimal; you just have to be around to check on it occasionally.

Love the variety of recipes and the fact that they cook "from around the globe." Everything I have made so far impresses: the Moroccan braised lamb shanks in fresh tomatoes and red wine, loaded split pea sweat potato soup and the lemon apricot chicken.

As a former caterer and now everyday cook, I always enjoy healthy, flavorful recipes. These hit the mark.

Recommend.

Author of Harmonious Environment: Beautify, detoxify & Energize Your Life, Your Home & Your Planet
on April 15, 2012
I cook all the time but I fight my busy schedule and desire to lose baby fat (baby is now three years old) so this book has been a major blessing to our family. I LOVE this book and have made many of the items and been delighted with the results. It's much more than a cook book though it is also an education in how to cook for life and rethink what you put in your food and why. I have expanded my ability to cook for my family in a healthy way without sacrificing any of the flavor. It's also such a delight to use the slow cooker in so many new ways. Coming home to a flagrant aroma is a great way to end the day when you use a slow cooker. Everything tastes so much better and it's healthy too. I have bought this book for many other busy people I know who care about the quality of their food. I am very grateful I found Dr. Bowden's column in Clean Eating Magazine and learned about his books. Thanks to him and Chef for such a dynamic collaboration. I really enjoy it and love what it's taught me to do...for life.
on February 4, 2013
I have only tried a few recipes so far but the tastes are unique and wonderful. Definitely not your unusual slow cooker stuff. Also, love the fact that it's healthy fare. Not the usual creamy canned soup mixed with meat.
on April 13, 2013
Pretty much everything I've made from this has come out tasty. The whole family has liked the meals that I've made. I do wish he had more recipes without meat but I love how every recipe I've made has fresh ingredients in it. You won't find canned soup as part of the ingredients in this and that's exactly what I wanted.
on October 10, 2012
I have now made 2 recipes from this book. I ended up throwing most of it away. I made the beef biriyani and the BBQ chicken recipe. They tasted bad and were expensive. I followed the recipes exactly. What a waste of my money
on September 3, 2013
Not what I expected. Too many ingredients needed for each recipe. I wanted a book that included good basic home cooked meals that were healthy and easy to prepare.
on February 25, 2013
Okay. I'm the one who needs this, but my cooker is new and I've just re-entered the world of slow cooking. This is full of wonderfully flavored recipes that will keep me experimenting for a long time. It's a way for me to prepare food that tastes fabulous without taking too much time, and it helps me stay true to my healthier eating that is focused on eliminating the foods that cause my body to react with inflammation. Good food, good for me. This book helps me do that.
on May 26, 2012
All the recipes have very high sodium levels. I wouldn't consider something with extremely high sodium to be healthy. I wish I had bought a different book.