5.0 out of 5 stars Our National Nutritional Treasure....Jonny Bowden
Published on January 28, 2012 by Dorothysay

3.0 out of 5 stars Very high in Sodium
All the recipes have very high sodium levels. I wouldn't consider something with extremely high sodium to be healthy. I wish I had bought a different book.
Published on May 26, 2012 by SomeoneElse

5.0 out of 5 stars Our National Nutritional Treasure....Jonny Bowden, January 28, 2012
This review is from: The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth: The Surprising Unbiased Truth About How to Make Nutritious and Delicious Meals that are Ready When You Are (Paperback)
I cannot understand why this man isn't touted from the rooftops by every media outlet in the country. He's a certified nutritionist and PhD with a rock-solid grasp of sound nutritional science; he's a gifted speaker, a delightful writer; and he's provided us with a bevy of excellent books to use regularly in our efforts to eat good foods which really nourish the body. He's blissfully free of faddish attachments, and gives the government its due-- which is to say, he gives it the royal raspberry, regularly and with gusto. My surgeon father, PhD doctor of internal medicine brother, and endocrinologist uncle give Bowden a complete "thumbs up": which is really saying something, as they all believe most health books are sorely lacking. I heartily recommend ALL of Bowden's books, and this one for slow-cooking foods is a delightful, well-researched compendium that will set you on a path to easy meals for the whole family--- and they're DELICIOUS.
BUY this volume. BUY his other volumes, especially "Living Low Carb" to get started. Go to his website jonnybowden.com to read and learn. This fellow is a phenomenon, and his work deserves far more attention. THANK YOU, THANK YOU Dr. Bowden !!

5.0 out of 5 stars rcarrcook, January 16, 2012
I have been eating "clean" for about six months. There are quite a few cookbooks out there that are geared toward clean eating but present the recipes in such a militant, eat-like-this-or-die-tomorrow way. Jonny Bowden and Jeanette Bessinger (authors) simply suggest the healthiest, freshest ingredients, offer occasional blurbs on the health benefits of organic foods or grass-fed, free-range meats, and put them together in some truly delicious recipes. In today's times, a slow cooker can become a mother's best friend, and you'd be amazed what these authors have come up with to cook in the slow cooker. My favorite part of the book is that the paragraphs setting forth the cooking directions are always very short!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, March 7, 2012
I cook and eat only healthy and delicious food and occasionally seek out cookbooks for new inspiration. The 150 Healthiest Slow Cooker Recipes on Earth hits the mark perfectly.

For those of you who do not understand the importance of eating organic, grass-fed beef, read about it here. Ditto for tons of information on what healthy food really is. (One comment: the authors advise to eat only 100% grass fed beef and there are exceptions. My local farm feeds their free-range grass fed cattle the by-product of hops used to make beer from another local establishment in winter when grass is in short supply. So, while the beef may not be 100% grass fed, the meat is nutritious and the cattle are 100% free-range.)

I am most impressed with the wonderful variety of stocks--beef, vegetable, fish, chicken and more. I cook with stock all the time and proudly make mine from scratch. Make your own stock and become a better cook overnight! You cannot beat homemade stock to elevate any recipe that calls for stock. Hands on time is minimal; you just have to be around to check on it occasionally.

Love the variety of recipes and the fact that they cook "from around the globe." Everything I have made so far impresses: the Moroccan braised lamb shanks in fresh tomatoes and red wine, loaded split pea sweat potato soup and the lemon apricot chicken.

As a former caterer and now everyday cook, I always enjoy healthy, flavorful recipes. These hit the mark.

Recommend.

Author of Harmonious Environment: Beautify, detoxify & Energize Your Life, Your Home & Your Planet

3.0 out of 5 stars Very high in Sodium, May 26, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking for healthy recipes, skip this book!, June 3, 2012
Oh where do I start! Only about half of these recipes are actually for the slow cooker!! Very misleading. While many of the recipes have names that sound super healthy, they are very high in both fat and sugar. For example, one was called "low sugar" and had almost 30 grams of sugar per serving!!! Not sure how they could possibly be the healthiest on earth. Yes, the many of the recipes are really tasty. But if you are trying to make healthy choices with food, diet and lifestyle I would skip this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book. Worth every penny..., April 15, 2012
I cook all the time but I fight my busy schedule and desire to lose baby fat (baby is now three years old) so this book has been a major blessing to our family. I LOVE this book and have made many of the items and been delighted with the results. It's much more than a cook book though it is also an education in how to cook for life and rethink what you put in your food and why. I have expanded my ability to cook for my family in a healthy way without sacrificing any of the flavor. It's also such a delight to use the slow cooker in so many new ways. Coming home to a flagrant aroma is a great way to end the day when you use a slow cooker. Everything tastes so much better and it's healthy too. I have bought this book for many other busy people I know who care about the quality of their food. I am very grateful I found Dr. Bowden's column in Clean Eating Magazine and learned about his books. Thanks to him and Chef for such a dynamic collaboration. I really enjoy it and love what it's taught me to do...for life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, September 3, 2013
Not what I expected. Too many ingredients needed for each recipe. I wanted a book that included good basic home cooked meals that were healthy and easy to prepare.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible food, October 10, 2012
I have now made 2 recipes from this book. I ended up throwing most of it away. I made the beef biriyani and the BBQ chicken recipe. They tasted bad and were expensive. I followed the recipes exactly. What a waste of my money

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of Deliciousness!, April 2, 2012
As a nutritionist myself, it's hard to impress me with cookbooks, but Jonny has done it here and with absolutely tasty ones at that. Who doesn't LOVE throwing a few things in the cooker in the morning, having the house smell great all day, and a delicous and healthy meal ready to go at dinner? You will find you can tweak the recipes as you go, but they are amazing just as they are. I have not found one yet I have disliked. Well done Jonny!

5.0 out of 5 stars His books are very good and easy to read., June 25, 2013
Bowden does a very good job in making the subject both interesting and informative. I have several of his books.