1,021 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product and Great Customer Service!
Published 17 months ago by Holly4bclark

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID This Cacao at ALL COSTS!
So I heard about Cacao many times before I actually tried it. It wasn't until a podcast I was listening to went into detail about some of its great benefits that I actually took the dive to get it from Amazon and try it in my shakes. So far I've tried 3 different Raw Cacao's from different companies and here is my review on this one:

So the reason I tried this...
Published 1 month ago by Ugo E

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product and Great Customer Service!, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Healthworks Raw Certified Organic Cacao Powder, 1 lb (Grocery)
I originally ordered Healthworks Cacao Nibs 1 lb. package, and was disappointed with the product as it had a burned taste(may have been a bad bag). Healthworks gave me a full refund for the product and sent me a 1 lb. package of the Cacao Powder as a nice gesture. I have to say I was really impressed with their customer service and apology for getting a less than perfect product the first time around. But what I was really impressed with is the Cacao Powder, it is absolutely the best I've ever tasted! A wonderful scent, a nice smooth, rich flavor, and I have to admit, I ate a spoonful of it dry and it melted into rich chocolate in my mouth. Of course it isn't sweetened, but great flavor nonetheless and no bitterness whatsoever. I will be buying this product again, and can't wait to try it in some recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cacao Powder Source on the Market, October 22, 2013
I eat 90% raw food, so I am very familiar with raw products and have a lot of experience using them. I have tried several Cacao powder brands and liked each of them but found them a little expensive for the amount I was getting. I came across this Healthworks Cacao Powder and decided almost immediately after reading the reviews that I would give this one a try. As soon as I received the powder I used it in my homemade raw chocolate which I make with raw Coconut Butter as the base, adding other ingredients until it is to my liking and then freezing it for an excellent raw treat. Let me say that this is hands down the best source of Cacao Powder out there. You will not find a better brand. The aroma is heavenly and the texture is smooth and rich in the recipes. You will not be disappointed with this one. From now on I will buy only this brand of Cacao Powder. 5 star product!

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints here!!, February 16, 2014
This cacao powder is perfect! It's not processed with an alkali (dutch) so it's just straight up raw. I use cacao nibs a lot so this is just the same thing but in powder form. It has a wonderful aroma and is very rich. It does have a strong taste but I prefer that. I bought this powder to put in my smoothies and to also make coconut oil chocolates. It's great in the chocolates and in my smoothies! I just hope that this is a true product that's really organic in every way possible. Also, I would like to know if this product is part of the Fair Trade program. I will continue to look for a product that is since I think that's really important. Anyway, the powder does have a slight grit to it but it's not very noticeable, especially when you're mixing it with other foods that have texture. Here is my coconut oil chocolates recipe:

(Using all Organic/NON-GMO Ingredients)
1/2c Coconut Oil
1/4c Cocao Powder
2-5 drops liquid Stevia (you really don't need any if you're using dried fruit)
Pinch of Sea Salt
1 tbsp. Maca Powder
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Optional:
Raisins, walnuts, pecans, goji berries, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, cashews

Put all ingredients in a large glass Pyrex measuring cup/bowl (I put mine on my glass top stove and turn on lowest setting and turn off when half melted) and use a whisk to slowly mix together until fully melted. In a silicone mold (I use a heart shaped silicone ice cube tray I got from Michaels for $1.99) place any of the optional ingredients into each mold. I use a mixture of all of them but it's fun to make different combinations. Once you're done then use a small ladle to fill each mold with the chocolate mixture. Place the mold into the fridge for about 20 minutes or until fully set. Pop the chocolates out of the mold and put them in a bag or other sealable container. They last for a few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, September 20, 2013
Delicious for smoothies and other treats! Has great resealable package for easy storage that doesn't take up much space like other cacao powders I've tried. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Raw Cacao powder ever!, October 31, 2013
I have tried a few raw cacao powders and they have either had a strange aftertaste or have tasted kind of weak. This stuff is amazing. It is rich, creamy, and has the best taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely amazing, October 23, 2013
i opened the bag and the aroma was overwhelming -IN A GOOD WAY- i made a hot chocolate and it was delicious

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality for the Price, November 11, 2013
Nice smooth, robust chocolaty flavor. Went halfsies with a neighbor for a pound and I am hooked.

The quality for the price is unbeatable and the versatility of this product makes it a winner for shakes, desserts, and aperitifs such as Irish hot chocolate.
Some other surprising nutrition facts. 1 ounce of powder has:
5 grams protein
15% RDA of iron
7 grams of fiber

Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID This Cacao at ALL COSTS!, January 27, 2015

So the reason I tried this was because I was blinded by the good reviews and price point. When I opened the bag, honestly, it didn't smell like I was expecting it too, but since it was my first time trying cacao I thought this is what it must smell like (I was COMPLETELY wrong).

I mixed this cacao with a Banana, Hemp Powder, Coconut sugar and water. About 40 minutes later I had a very bad stomach ache. I thought it might have just been me but it wasn't. Other people that I gave the same smoothie were feeling the same thing and it was bad. Ab contracting bad. I normally have this smoothie without the cacao and I'm fine but with it, horrible stomach pain. I started doing more research on the product and found I'm not the only one that had this same issue (Look in the comments).

As I started doing my research into this issue, I noticed there are also some questionable issues with the company and the product. If you look at the picture attached, the package I received said my Cacao was from 'Latin America'.... yes you read that right LATIN AMERICA. Does the company not realize there are a lot of countries in Latin America? On top of that, country of origin is very important especially with Cacao. Depending on where it comes from could mean you are getting real cacao (Criollo, Forastero, Trinitario) or low quality cacao (CCN51 hybrids). If you want the legit benefits from Cacao, (Like I do) you want to get a better quality one.

As for the company, from the comments and their website (Which hasn't been updated since 2013 at the time of this post) they aren't US Based. From the comments, they are based in Asia. Which wouldn't be an issue but they provide *0* transparency about this product, so it IS an issue.

TL;DR version: This product caused me serious stomach aches and I'm not the first one to say something about this (Look in the comments). Avoid this Cacao at ALL costs. And honestly, with what people are saying about the company (Very unresponsive, based in Asia and not the US), I would be cautious to purchase anything from them.

Better Cacao's I've tried: TruVibe 100% Organic Raw Cacao Powder, Fair Trade, 1lb (16oz), Criollo Cacao Variety (Good) Cacao Powder Raw Organic, Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder Unsweetened, 1LB, Highest Antioxidant Superfood,100% Satisfaction Guaranteed. (Best I've found on Amazon, more expensive but really worth it.)

I re-posted this review so I could include images. (Amazon needs to fix that!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cacao, September 27, 2013
Love this product. Tastes yummy and goes in a lot of things, like my morning coffee or smoothie. I also appreciate the ziplock bag, since there is so much it will last me longer. Great deal

1.0 out of 5 stars Please avoid this product!, September 2, 2014
Alexandra Lewis (Paterson, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
Please avoid this product for the following reasons:

1- I have tried two different brands of organic raw cacao before and this one tastes nothing like them.The others tasted more intense and had darker color and were very slightly bitter. This one tastes more like any unsweetened cocoa powder that I buy at the grocery store. Most importantly, after three days of consumption, it caused me rashes all over my body. I'm not allergic to anything and didn't change anything in my diet except using this powder.

2- What added insult to injury, is that after I decided to not use it again, I thought of giving it as a gift to one of my friends. So I thought to put it all in one of the gift jars instead of the plastic bag so it would look nice. While transferring the powder to the jar, guess what! I found a dead butterfly, one of those tiny ones inside the bag. YES! A dead insect inside my food.......

3- Before purchasing, I was blinded by the good reviews so that I didn't bother to read any of the negative reviews. I wish I did so I would know that this company does not exist. It's possibly a person or a group of people who work from their homes and selling these items and are not located in the US . I tried to contact them by phone but on the web site I didn't find have any phone numbers or even an address and they pretend to be nice to their customers by replying to every negative review and asking customers to contact them via the email, but they do that to shut them up while in reality, if you contact them, they maybe reply once and then just ignore the rest of your messages!

Anyways, I don't care while this product is organic or not because I won't use it again but I will certainly contact Amazon and report the insect issue as they need to investigate whether this seller follows the US packaging standards or not.