Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Healthy Baby Meal Planner: Mom-Tested, Child-Approved Recipes for Your Baby and Toddler
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 21, 2000
This book has easy interesting recipes and a handy meal planning guide. However, there was little discussion of which foods could be introduced at what point and why. I also found that this book contradicted itself in many places. For instance it would talk about not offering peanuts or fish at a certain stage and then pages later for that same stage, would be a recipe using peanut butter or fish. As a new mom I don't know what to do with this kind of contradictory advise.
on October 26, 1999
I just started feeding my 5 month old daughter "solids" and wanted to do it in a healthy way. So I ordered this book and Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. This definitely is a more attractive package, with very interesting looking recipes I will try when my baby gets older. However, based on the research I have done on the subject, it doesn't sit right with me that some of her recipes for four- to six-month-olds include seasonings such as mint, peppercorns, cinnamon, and sugar. Also, the title of that chapter is "Four to Six Months and Weaning". As a nursing mom who plans to continue at least until my daughter is a year old, this sounds to me as if the author is pushing to get babies off of milk and on to solids as soon as possible. As stated before, the recipes for older kids (and adults) look very interesting--they should--the author is a Cordon Bleu graduate! But I will be getting the majority of my homemade baby food info from the other book mentioned in this review.
11 comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2000
I would not recommend this book. First, in several recipes Karmel is adding sugar or maple syrup. One reason people make their own food is to avoid just that! Secondly, she has a recipe introducing peanut butter at age 6-9 months. Some experts will say not to feed peanut butter, peanuts, or even peanut oil until atleast 3 years of age; while others say the baby should be atleast 1 year. I must say 6-9 months is very early for such a highly allergic food. A reaction from peanuts is quick and could be deadly! Another thing that was troublesome was she doesn't mention that feeding foods like spinach and carrots can cause a form of anemia in children. I guess it is due to nitrates in the soil. Baby food companies are aware of this and test. Other baby food books I have read recommend you wait on making (and buying them already prepared) these ingrediants until a certain age. The American Academy of Pediatrics will back this one up. The book is pretty, it is simple to read. But I think the author needs to continue her research.
33 comments| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2000
Karmel's book was recommended to me by a friend and mother or 2 (age 7 and 3). She swore that her children's love of a wide range of healthy foods was due to the spices introduced in these simple recipes.
I went to the bookstore and perused all 3 books by Karmel and, while this is her first, it seems to be the best: organization and comprehensive content.
I then borrowed the book from the library. I've been using the recipes for 2 months and my son LOVES everything he's tried. The variety in tastes helps me keep up with his curiosities.
I borrowed other books from the library, including Ruth Yaron's text. Honestly, Karmel's book was easier to use in the kitchen (held itself open) and the chart made quick references a cinch.
Today, after having proven this book to be the best and knowing I'll use it over and over, I am purchasing it.
on February 15, 2003
I have really enjoyed this book. I wasn't even planning on "making" my own baby food. At the time I bought it, I had a toddler, and was just looking for ideas for sandwhiches and creative snacks and things. My friend had the book and it looked interesting so I bought it. Now I have a new baby and just for fun I tried a few recipes. Now I am hooked. My baby has liked every meal I have prepared, even recipes with liver! Also, the cookbook has delicious meals that have now become family favorites. Toward the end of the book, there are recipes under the"Toddler" section, but they are really adult recipes and they are absolutely delicious. (sometimes you must double recipes...& check the serving size). One thing to note, is that because she is from Europe,the standards on what foods to introduce when is different. Use your doctor's advice and your common sense, when choosing recipes. Sometimes she recommends serving your baby a food earlier than we do here in the states. But after taking that into consideration, enjoy! And delight your baby and family. She is a real chef and takes really takes the mystery out of making baby food. ALSO, if you enjoy making them, get a hand blender, I have one made by Braun, and it makes puree making a snap! and so much easier to clean than trasferring your pot of whatever to a blender of food processer.
on June 4, 1999
This book makes cooking baby food very easy! I buy a few organic vegetables every week, boil them, puree and presto! Healthy, nutritious baby food that my baby loves. Some of the recipes are a bit strange, (i.e. zucchini and bananas), but if the baby likes it, so be it. My only complaint is that some of the menus seem to rush the baby into new foods too quickly. My recommendation is that you only give your baby one new food at a time for at least three days. Because my husband and I did this, we were able to discern that she was very allergic to pears.
on May 14, 1998
This is a great book for parents who are concerned about their child's nutritional health. A line out of the book struck home, "You wouldn't feed all that processed food to the rest of your family; why feed it to your baby?" Ms Karmel offers not only easy-to-prepare recipes, but advice and meal planners (a great help with my first child when I wasn't sure what I was doing). With the help of this book, I never had to buy baby food in a jar. The recipes don't take much time and effort to prepare (great news for busy moms and dads). Her suggestion to keep individual servings in the freezer, and heat as needed worked for me! You don't have to be a health food fanatic to appreciate the virtues of good food.
on August 31, 2005
I have been looking for a baby food book for a while with easy to make recipes and so far have been disappointed. I saw this on the new releases shelf at my local store and it was just what I had been looking for!! There is a TON of information and recipes in here for the beginning eater to toddler. There are many meals the whole family can enjoy together. This is a great book if you want to supplement your baby's food with homemade or make all of it yourself, this is the book for you!!
on March 22, 2006
OK. I know that we all don't have time to "cook" all of our baby food...but even if you may want to supplement your baby food jar collection with some of your own, this is a GREAT book. It gave me some great ideas, and also gives you good information (like what can my 6 year old REALLY handle...) The recipes for older babies and toddlers are really good (I eat them too!) Great for those that are "tired" of the jarred peas and carrots - if your baby is in a slump, try out some of these recipes for some interesting foods!
on August 5, 2006
I consider this book the bible when it comes to feeding my son. I started using it since he was 5 months old, and I loved the results! I never fed him from a jar, everything he ate was prepared by me and as a result, he has a great appetite and he enjoys all kinds of foods (even those other kids consider "yucky"). He's 2 and a half now, and he loves such foods as bell peppers, olives, fish, onions, spinach and zucchini. His favorite dessert is fresh fruit. Needless to say, he's really healthy. I also have a 4-month-old baby and I plan to use the recipes again. This book should be mandatory for every new mom! If I could give it 6 stars, I definitely would.