Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Shop Now Tikes

on January 25, 2004
I have lots of "quick and easy" cookbooks and "cooking for one" books but this is the one I used the most. These dishes are truly easy to make with fewer ingredients and simple procedures. I never thought that orange juice and a touch of butter (and nothing else) can create a wonderful sauce for fish. Better yet, it relies on fresh foods whenever possible, so you get true home-made cooking. I live alone but occasionally dine with my boyfriend so this book is perfect for me. I was never disappointed by the recipes even though I sometimes don't measure time or quantities carefully (of course, I am not a complete novice cook either). The book provides 2 sets of ingredients - one for the single diner and another for two. For a few recipes such as Honest Meatloaf (honestly a great basic meatloaf) you have ingredients for two and four servings respectively, as cooking for one would be rather impractical. However, you can easily save or freeze the leftover for another meal. Overall I highly recommend it to singles and couples who don't want much fuss in the kitchen. There are no photos other than the one on the cover, but then again, you will not get disappinted when the food you make doesn't look quite as good as those meticulously arranged by professional food stylist and retouched by creative photographers as in most cookbooks and magazines.
on March 13, 2004
For years I have been tired of using recipes sized for 4 or 8-11 people, then get so tired of the food I've cooked that I never want to make the recipe again.
This book is one of the best cookbooks I have ever invested in. It's a relief not to have to eat leftovers for the rest of the week and not to be afraid to go to the grocery store afraid I'll overspend.
Great tasting recipes you'll never tire of, as there is hardly any leftovers. They're all easy to make. I use this book every week and for entertaining.
My blood sugar has returned to normal (along with my budget)- and it's so concise and meals so tasty, that you want to include them over and over again. Now I eat much more fish and vegetables and have tried new and varied ways of cooking.
The pan-fried catfish and Maryland crabcakes are the bomb. I've learned to poach chicken. Can't wait to get to the ground turkey section.
You can't miss with this cookbook.
on August 22, 2000
This is the most-used cookbook in my collection, and I collect cookbooks for single cooks. Unlike many healthy cookbooks, this includes recipes for a variety of main dishes (vegetarian, chicken drumsticks, veal, beef, pork and lamb) rather than an endless series of "boneless skinless chicken breasts." It offers sensible suggestions for managing fresh produce without spoilage (such as a stir fry made from the grocery store take-out salad bar vegetables, rather than using a few pieces from a dozen different whole vegetables, and wasting the rest) and it pays attention to details such as the sizes of cans available in stores. The instructions for each recipe are clear and complete. As a bonus, each recipe has two sets of quantities - for one or two servings if the recipe doesn't make good leftovers, or for two or four servings if the recipe is good the next day! Despite being "healthy" the servings are generous, even satisfying my twenty-something brother. This also includes a comprehensive (but not too long) list of kitchen equipment, and happily, the recipes specify what equipment is needed, and never call for anything not on the basic list. This is a must-have book for any single cook.
on January 9, 2000
I found this book in a bookstore one evening, when I was feeling a need for inspiration on cooking for one, after months of grabbing stuff on the run. I found this, and I started reading.... and cooking. I love the ingredients lists for one person, or two. The best things about this book: 1. FAST easy recipes! 2. Quantities for one person, which eliminate waste 3. No leftovers! (or only 1 meal's worth of leftovers, instead of five or six days' worth) 4. The warm spinach salad Chinoise- thanks to prewashed veggies in a bag, literally, a 5 minute dinner! (I tripled this once for a dinner party, and it got rave reviews) 5. A good list of basic kitchen tools for a single or two person household 6. A list of things to have on hand
Thank you, Ms. Price, for your straightforward, easy recipes for real food that tastes terrific. The nutritional analysis is great, too.
When's the next one coming out?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2007
I would say over 35 % of these recipes call for a blender. This cookbook is also very much geared to a vegetarian style of cooking, though it also has interesting recipes for beef, chicken and pork, but there are more soups, salads, vegetarian main dishes and vegetable sides. Then of course, plenty of desserts. Each recipe also has quite a few ingredients. However, the author is very health conscious and the recipes are easy to understand.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2002
I bought this cookbook when I was living with a friend during the summer after my sophmore year of college (back in 1997). We didn't really have many cookbooks, so we must have used it three or four times a week. Since then, I've gone on to buy other cookbooks, but this one has remained the favorite.
The recipes have clear instructions and give complete information about simple substitutions and changes. I think that the book makes a great gift for new cooks because of this feature. The recipes also rely mostly on regular ingredients that you're likely to have on hand or willing to buy. She also understands that when you're cooking for two people, you may also be trying to save money and she points out recipes that work well with cheap ingredients.
Some of my favorites include the vegetarian New Boston Baked Beans, the Curried Chicken Salad, and the downsized meatloaf.
I strongly recommend this book!
on February 7, 2001
I absolutely LOVE this book! The recipes are easy to make, tasty and, best of all, healthy. I've lived on my own for a couple of years now and always found myself making too much food, because I was used to the way my mom cooks- for my whole family. When I got this book for Christmas, I started cooking just enough for myself, and now I use this book at least twice a week! The format is convenient, because it shows you the ingredients needed for one or two servings. There are tips on how to eat healthy foods throught the book, and there is a great variety of recipes in the book, everything from chicken to salads to desserts! I highly recommend the book to any single cooks who are worried about healthy eating.
on February 25, 2002
This cook book has been the best investment that I have made in a long time. As the new year came around I wanted to start eating "Healthy". Which has been a whole new lifestyle really. This cook book has been my best friend while my husband and I change the way we eat. The recipes have been quick, easy and fun to try new things. All of the recipes have a great taste. Most of them you would never know they were low fat. I would recommend this cookbook to anyone who wants to change the way they eat and loss weight also.
on June 19, 2003
My daughter is very health conscious, reading ingredient lists and nutritional information in order to make her choices about almost everything she eats. Me, well, I grew up in a meat and potatoe family with a Mother who felt "boiling bags" qualified as "gourmet" food. I eat by taste and take vitamins to balance the lack of good nutrition in my food choices. Needless to say, meals together can be quite.....interesting.
"Healthy Cooking for 2 (Or Just You)" has bridged the gap between eating styles in my home. My daughter bought this book and asked if we could try the recipies. That was one month ago. We have used this book almost every night since then and have yet to find a recipe we didn't BOTH like. With "Healthy Cooking for 2", the meals are easy and quick to make, planning is minimal since it doesn't use "exotic" ingredients, both my daughter and I enjoy the food made, and the portions leave us comfortably full with minimal if any leftovers. (Since leftovers tend to be stored away until they can crawl out of the refrigerator on their own power, this is very important to me.) I have been so impressed with this book that I just ordered a second copy for when my daughter takes hers back to college with her
on June 24, 1999
When will Ms. Price come out with her next book! This one is such a terrific first; its simple, inventive, and careful recipes are a delight, and the food is really delicious. The added benefit of low-fat recipes and heart-friendly cooking make it must for both the uninitiated and experienced cook. I recommend it especially to single men who have had no experience cooking real food for themselves. I usually burn food and produce an inedible mess; with this book I've started cooking great meals for myself (and a friend or two). If you use recipes in this book, you'll create great, healthful food that's unfussy, very filling, and easy to prepare. Hat's off to Frances Price for her classic cookbook for singles.