4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but same
I have already read Dr. Weissbluth's previous book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby. This book for twins seemed to repeat much of the earlier book. I found that there were a few unique points for twins, but it's not as different as I had hoped. But it's good and helpful information, just no need to read both books.
Published on July 14, 2009 by gmamama

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Sleep Habits made my kids Happy
The follow-up Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins is a good resource to a parent of twins, offering practical advice for handling your multiples with a nice balance of confidence and humility.

Published on April 29, 2010 by D. Loney

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Sleep Habits made my kids Happy, April 29, 2010
This review is from: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins: A Step-by-Step Program for Sleep-Training Your Multiples (Paperback)

I had a singleton first, and we used the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book to sleep train her. (Sleep train is a harsh description as it invokes images of a screaming baby and stressed parents but this is NOT how I'd describe this method) Because I had previous experience with the Weissbluth method we had an advantage in sleep training our twins. I found while the twins' book offered some practical detail about twinfants, and dealing with common concerns related to prematurity, it lacked the detail of its predecessor, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

The Weissbluth method focuses almost entirely on the premise that rested babies sleep better. You need to toss out the age old notion that if you keep your baby up, they will sleep longer and better at night. This simply is an old wives tale not unlike putting cereal in your infant's bottle. Weissbluth focuses on preventing bad habits from starting and getting your baby down in their crib sleepy but awake and allowing them to drift off to sleep by themselves. I was skeptical at first, particularly because he says that babies can't comfortably stay awake for more than 90 minutes. BUT ITS TRUE, after 90 minutes all of my children reach a state of irritability, where they seem to want to nurse and be cuddled. With my first child I mistook this cue to mean that she was hungry. I was nursing her every 90 minutes when I should have been napping her.

All in all I HIGHLY recommend the Healthy Sleep Habits method, but I suggest the parent of multiples buy the original book, Happy Child, and skip Happy Twins. It just didn't have the detail and step by step instructions like Happy Child had and I still use my Happy Child book as quick reference when one of the kids hits a funny sleeping stage.

FAQ's about being a mom of multiples.
- Yes, my twins shared a crib until they started moving around. They tended to snuggle close together so I had to put a barrier between them in the crib to reduce the risk of SIDS and them accidentally smothering each other.
- I put them in separate cribs in the same room at 5 months.
- They really do ignore each other. One does not wake the other when they cry in the middle of the night
- When one wakes for a night feeding we always woke up the other one and fed them too to keep them on the same schedule.
- We keep their room at about 65 degrees
- We give them a bath every night before bed but instead of trying to wrangle the baby tub we bought the 2 of the spongy things and put them in the regular bath tub. It is faster and they like the water.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content... but longer than it needs to be., July 6, 2009
There is definitely some good information in this book. But it's really drawn out. The first thirty pages or so describe the importance of sleep and healthy sleep habits. If you're reading this book (and especially if you have newborn twins in the house), I suspect you already know how important sleep is. Chapter 3 is probably the best resourse. It lists sleepy signs from your baby and how to make sure you get him or her to bed before he or she is overtired. And it makes suggestions about the amount of sleep a baby needs and good times for naps. If, however, you don't think you can bear to let your baby cry, this book may not be for you.

There is also a chapter on breastfeeding twins and one on prematurity. Again, this is good information, but if you are reading this book just for help with sleeping habits it feels like filler. And the chapter on creating a sleep team can be summerized like this: make sure you, your spouse and anyone else who cares for your twins are on the same page with sleep-training so you don't screw up each others' efforts. He takes about 20 pages to say that.

Double Take: My First Year as a Mother of Twins

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but same, July 14, 2009
gmamama (Fayetteville, AR) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars This book saved my sanity!, August 2, 2010
Every single parent should read this book!!!!

I read this book when my fraternal twin girls were 10 weeks old, and it was a key factor in saving my sanity. I was a first-time mom with two babies who had very different sleep temperaments and who came home from the hospital on totally different schedules. When I read this book I quickly realized that not only was I sleep deprived, but so were my poor exhausted babies. We immediately followed every step of Dr. Weissbluth's advice, and within a week my home was a peaceful, rested place. I had to let one twin cry it out, but that only lasted for about a week, and only for 5-7 minutes at each sleep time! Because I was also suffering from postpartum depression, this book gave me a way to begin to heal.

Now my twins are 5-yrs-old. I pull out the book every time the girls go through a developmental milestone and/or get off-track with their sleep, and Dr. Weissbluth's advice gets us back on a healthy sleep schedule every time. I can say with confidence that Dr. Weissbluth's advice was a godsend at a very difficult time, and continues to be a valuable resource for our whole family. My husband and I have even changed our own sleep habits as a result! I am grateful to this day. A must-read for every parent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be more specific..., March 10, 2010
I found this book interesting, however, it doesn't really mention much about feeding, and in my opinion, feeding and sleeping are very intertwined. If your baby is still getting up to eat in the middle of the night, sleep training is very difficult. Without touching on this, this book is not that useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have for Twins (espeically preemies).....He was our pediatrician, December 25, 2009
seraphicD (midwest, United States) - See all my reviews
I am a mother of 29 week fraternal twins, and I am thankful every night that we were lucky enough to have Dr. Weissbluth as our pediatrician. We jokingly refer to Dr. W as "the baby whisperer" in our home. All of our relatives are astounded at how well our kids sleep. They are happy and well-adjusted throughout the day, and simply reply "okay!" every time we ask them to go to bed at night or to take a nap. Our entire family is well-rested! He is the reason that my twins, who were 11 weeks premature, had almost no developmental delays, because they were able to sleep and grow.

This book is especially good if you twins are fraternal (which are more difficult, because their sleep patterns will be different) and if they are premature (one of my kids spent 1 month in the NICU, while the other spent 6 months, and was woken up every 3 hours). We thought we might never get them on a schedule to be able to share a room! Dr. W had them sharing a room and sleeping 12 hours a night within 6 weeks!

I cannot recommend this book enough to anyone with multiples, along with his other book. My twins are now 2 years old and continue to take one nap a day and sleep 12 hours at night. Because of his sound recommendations, my twins are easier than any child I have ever seen. No tantrums, no fighting bed time, and I am so grateful!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for new moms of twins!, December 26, 2010
This book makes so much sense and is very easy to read. Some books just touch on sleep but this one is specific to twins and how to get then down at the same time giving mom a much needed rest during the day and night. I am having family members read it also so we can all be on the same page when keeping the girls. A good value for the price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not essential, September 29, 2011
This book is a good read for those with twins, but I wouldn't say its a "must-have" for twin sleep training. I like the original "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" because it is better for specific schedule details. I also think that "Babywise" is a much better sleep training book for twins. Overall this book is a little boring and I only look at it for references to age-specific sleeping. Example: my twins just turned 4 months and I looked at the 4 month section to see what it normal sleep patterns for their age. It is also great for preemie babies and adjusted age sleep patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!!, August 15, 2013
I didn't even finish reading the book and decided to start trying the method. Just after trying it for 1 night there was a huge improvement. This book saved my sanity! I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, January 18, 2013
The best sleep book ever! Helped me understand that my twin's really could sleep through the night and that I had to wait until they hit their adjusted age to expect this! I loved that he included actual data to back his reasoning rather than just being opinion based like a lot of other sleep books.

$14.00 $11.06