Published 9 months ago by Grady Harp

2.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad
I think the author is probably an informed guy with his heart in the right place, and an experienced smoothie maker with some super recipes.
I agree, however with the review by Amandy about the lack of an index and the poor editing. There were a number of errors!
Did he really mean lemon pee! (yum!) or lemon peel perhaps?
"Maca root is related to...
Published 16 months ago by Karen

5.0 out of 5 stars Kirk Castle tells us everything we need to know about the art of Smoothies, October 20, 2013
Born in the Caribbean in 1974 on a small little known island called Trinidad and Tobago, Kirk Castle is a chef par excellence - especially when it comes to foods for good health and weight loss, or in other words, miracle smoothies! He is a committed Green smoothie aficionado an din this book he not only provides the 100 healthy smoothie recipes of the title, but he goes far beyond that.

Castle takes the time to explain the concept of green smoothies and why they are beneficial to reducing, keeping weight off, and reducing unhealthy cravings as well as improving skin, hair and energy levels, and boosting immune defenses. But where Castle adds even more to the plethora of books that praise the green smoothie dietary supplement is his taking the time to instruct us hw to grow the vegetables and fruits that go into our smoothies, how to shop for and how to store in the kitchen the things we purchase that are ingredients for smoothies (some secrets he shares here such as placing green bananas in a paper bag with an apple to hasten their ripening, what to store in the fridge and what to store on the counter, etc), sample diet plans and who to incorporate smoothies into your lifestyle. He also lists the superfood additions for smoothies such as acai berries, aloe vera, avocado, chia seed, cayenne pepper, be pollen, raw chocolate, brewer's yeast, flax oil, ginger, coconut oil, sprouts, raw wheat germ, yogurt or kefir and sweeteners such as stevia, agave nectar, honey and maple syrup - with reasons for the benefits of each of this additives.

Then come the recipes - and there are more ideas for excellent varieties of tasty smoothies than you'll find anywhere. This is far more than a cookbook and one that belongs on the kitchen countertop of every household concerned with health and getting (and staying) slim. Highly Recommended. Grady Harp, October 13

2.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad, March 31, 2013
This review is from: 100 Healthy Smoothie Recipes (Paperback)
Did he really mean lemon pee! (yum!) or lemon peel perhaps?
"Maca root is related to turnips and radishes because it's linked by research to endocrine health and a healthy libido"....huh?
The instructions for the mango banana green smoothie include maple syrup...but it's raw honey on the ingredient list.
There are recipes with two ingredients listed as one...randomly weird.
Just to list a few editing misses. So, really, the "professional editors" leave a lot to be desired.
The health information section contains some strong and provocative statements. Thyroid meds make the thyroid worse? Studies to support this statement are....?
Since it's not written by a physician, dietician, or similarly trained individual, one can reasonably expect some footnotes and source pages...but they are presumptuously not included.
The terribly written response to that prior review does not encourage confidence either.
The author does himself a disservice by releasing his book in this condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the benefits of green smoothies, October 15, 2013
In the first half of his book "100 Healthy Smoothie Recipes," author Kirk Castle expounds on the benefits of incorporating homemade smoothies into your diet. He emphasizes the use of green leafy vegetables and natural foods in making smoothies. He notes that spinach is especially valuable for its protein and chlorophyll content. Calcium is also a key nutrient found in many greens, such as collards, watercress, and kale. In general, green leafy vegetables are powerhouses of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and enzymes.

The author states that the goal of smoothie drinkers should be to consume one quart a day, which should yield fifteen servings of vegetables and fruit. He recommends using more fruit initially, then gradually increasing the amount of green leafy vegetables. The book includes tips on buying and storing produce, even discussing how to grow your own. Organically grown produce is recommended because of the absence of pesticides and other harmful chemicals. The author recommends two specific blender models for their ease of use, effectiveness, and durability.

The second half of the book is devoted to smoothie recipes. For smoothie novices, the author recommends beginning with recipes that use a higher fruit ratio, then transitioning to ones that have a high ratio of green vegetables. Some recipes use artificial sweeteners like stevia, with natural sweeteners like agave nectar and dates being used in other recipes.

Overall, the book is a nice introduction to smoothies, with a section on general information about smoothies, followed by a hundred smoothie recipes that can be made at home.

The book would have benefitted from better editing and proofreading. There are a number of misspellings (such as "lightening" for "lightning") and inconsistencies that should have been corrected before the book was published.

A review copy of the book was provided by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Recipes That Are Also HEALTHY!! :D, December 27, 2012
Let me come straight out with it: I am pretty lazy when it comes to cooking. So, whenever I am able to make smoothie recipes instead of standing in the kitchen for 20 minutes up to one hour to get my food ready, I am all for that! A friend of mine told me to check out this book as he is as lazy as I am when it comes to cooking. I gave it a shoot and to my surprised face, this book is not only easy to follow regarding the green smoothies, but the recipes are also healthy!

I mean, think about that: here you have me, a lazy man in the kitchen, who can make green smoothies easy and fast, and the smoothies are also healthy at the same time. If you ask me, I think this is a REAL bargain!! :) This book saves me time and adds years to my lifespan since the recipes are healthy and great if you want to lose weight at the same time you want to enjoy a tasteful green smoothie.

You are doing yourself harm if you do not get this book. This book is amazing and I had to hug my friend of recommending it to me. I know it is silly, but it is true; this book provides you with great healthy green smoothie recipes that you can get done within minute instead of wasting dozens of minutes in the kitchen.

If you are in a hurry and do not want to spend so much time in the kitchen but you still want something healthy to flush down your throat, then this book is definitively the best choice! If I had found this book earlier, I would have bought as Christmas presents to many dear people I know that I want well and to prosper in terms of their physical and mental health! =)

Get this book now and you will never have to spend more than 5 minutes in the kitchen when you want something healthy AND tasty to drink or eat! ^^, Thank so you much!! God bless you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Green healthy smoothies are delicious!, April 4, 2013
At any point in time, someone in my house becomes obsessed with smoothies. Breakfast smoothies, after-workout smoothies, dessert smoothies - not a day goes by where we don't break out the blender or juicer for some reason or another.

We were running short on recipes and I decided to splurge and try buying an ebook for recipes instead of trying to find good free recipes online (such a hassle).

So happy that I decided to buy this book!

My favorite smoothies are the healthy green smoothies. People ask what my "secret" to looking young is, and I usually just brush it off. To tell you the truth, however, the only secret is a clean lifestyle with lots of green foods just like these smoothies.

These healthy smoothies are delicious!

I was pleasantly surprised to find no real traces of any editing errors within this book. Like any good informed buyer, I scanned the previous reviews. It seems that the couple of lower-star ratings are now invalid as the author gave a complete overhaul to the book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who considers themselves a fan of healthy smoothies. This would also make a wonderful gift for someone who is hoping to make healthy changes in their lifestyle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good recipes, some shortcomings, March 13, 2013
This review is from: 100 Healthy Smoothie Recipes (Paperback)
This book has some good recipes and some really good information about greens and other "super food" ingredients but there are some things that I didn't like about this book.
1. It's black and white/ no pictures. I know it's just a smoothie book and they probably look similar but I'd like SOME pictures.
2. No index. This probably bothered me the most about the book. What if, say, watermelon is on sale so I buy a bunch of it, I have no way to look up what recipes might call for watermelon unless I want to flip page by page through the book.
3. Editing errors. Nothing you can't skim past but they still trip me up. Especially in the list of ingredients for the recipes; sometimes they will list two ingredients in one line like, 1c. bluberries 2 c. kale, so if you're not paying attention you may miss an ingredient for your shopping list.
4. I'm new to green smoothies so I wish there was a little more about how to prepare the ingredients. He says a lot about why greens are good for me, but do I need to cut off the stems, etc.?
5. This book is called "...for weight loss" yet there is no nutritional information.
6. I don't know how many servings each smoothie makes and some of them seem pretty big.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new addictionis smoothies, February 15, 2013
This review is from: 100 Healthy Smoothie Recipes (Paperback)
I'm usually into juicing and never really went into smoothies much until I came across this book. Easy quick recipes that you can follow with ingredients you can find at your supermarket. All I can say is that I'm now addicted to smoothies thanks to this book and most importantly it's just as healthy as when I was just juicing so win win for me. Get this book you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love Smoothies, July 26, 2013
I love green smoothies and this book has shown me a ton of ways to have them. The book is very informative and the recipes are simple, easy to make and taste great. You can also find allot of the ingredients at your neighborhood grocer or even grow some of them in you very own kitchen garden. I highly recommend this book not only for the health conscious but also for you kids or for a light mid evening meal substitute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super informative, February 16, 2013
This book has a wealth of recipe combinations. It even has suggestions for kids. I can't wait to try them out. Im on my way to skinnyville.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this book, February 26, 2013
These recipes are so easy to follow. I made almost all of the smoothies, only five more to try. I love them. They taste so good. Of course it's a plus that they are all healthy. Did I say I love them already? This book is a great buy.

100 Healthy Smoothie Recipes
100 Healthy Smoothie Recipes by Kirk Castle (Paperback - January 3, 2013)
$9.99 $8.99