5.0 out of 5 stars Hearos Xtreme vs Ultimate Softness vs Howard Leight Max
UPDATE: I no longer recommend cutting the plugs with scissors to shorten them for comfortable sleeping. Instead, go to YouTube and search for a video called "Fitting Foam Earplugs" by user aearoweb to learn how to properly insert plugs all the way into your ear canal, which will eliminate the need to cut them.

UPDATE: Amazon is now offering these for about...
Published on December 7, 2010 by W. Costley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product
Published on June 23, 2012 by Vipul

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearos Xtreme vs Ultimate Softness vs Howard Leight Max, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Hearos Xtreme Protection, 14-Pair Foam (Pack of 3) (Health and Beauty)

UPDATE: Amazon is now offering these for about $0.12/pair, which makes them one of the cheapest options available!

I got a little carried away comparing different brands/models of ear plugs this past week and thought I'd share my experience here. Of the following three, the Hearos Xtreme Protection are my favorite. If the length of this review looks daunting, just skip the rest and take a look at the three kinds of plugs I tried and my overall assessment of their key characteristics:

HEAROS XTREME PROTECTION

Noise isolation: 3/5
Comfort: 4/5
Price: 4/5
Appearance/style: 5/5

HOWARD LEIGHT "SUPER LEIGHT" (same model as MAX1)
Noise isolation: 4/5
Comfort: 5/5
Price: 5/5
Appearance/style: 3/5

I decided I needed some ear plugs after being at my wits' end from having to constantly listen to the low rumbly bass of my neighbor's stereo. It's not that it's that loud--but at any volume, constant repetition of a few single low-frequency notes really drives me crazy. I went over and knocked on the door, but no one answered; I'd bang on the wall and they'd turn it down, only to turn it up again half an hour later. I even tried expensive noise-canceling headphones (Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B Active Noise-Cancelling Closed-Back Headphones) and even though they helped, they didn't eliminate the noise.

After reading many positive reviews, I opted for Hearos Xtreme Protection. They have an NRR (noise reduction) of 33, which is the highest I could find in a plug I could afford. I even checked the attenuation data on the back of the package and saw that the decibel reduction was, quizzically, even higher at the low frequencies I was hoping to eliminate. I purchased them and went home and promptly inserted a pair into my ears, which was easier than I expected. I have seen a lot of comments about how they are difficult to get the hang of inserting, but it's really a piece of cake. Just don't skip the part in the instructions about pulling on the top of your ear with your other hand, because that does make it easier to get the plug in all the way. As I heard the second plug crinkling gently as it expanded, I could almost feel the air being sucked out of my ear and a layer of silence emerging. Suddenly I was off in my own world where I could hear only my breathing and the faintest muffled sounds from outside. Once they were fully expanded, I was surprised at how comfortable they were. They exert only a slight pressure on my ears, but it's not annoying at all. My neighbor was not playing music at the time, so I couldn't test their effectiveness against it. However, several hours later I found out from my girlfriend, who had gotten home and been sitting at her own computer (in the same room) for the previous hour, that the neighbors had been playing music for quite a while. I never knew because the Hearos were doing their job that well! Tears almost came to my eyes. A caveat, though: I have another neighbor with a deafeningly loud car stereo that shakes everything in my apartment. I'm not sure these plugs will get rid of that kind of volume, but then again, I haven't heard his stereo at all since I've been wearing them. UPDATE: I have long since moved--and that solved the problem! I was never able to effectively test them against the jerk's car stereo, because he generally only played it as he was coming or going (still very frequent). This didn't give me the chance to get the plugs, insert them properly, test to see if I could hear it, and remove them before the noise was gone. However, I can't recall ever hearing bass with the plugs in over the last two years.

After such a successful experiment, I decided to sleep in them. I could feel them when I was on my side, but they were not uncomfortable--just there. (I later discovered, thanks to some other reviews here on Amazon, that you can simply cut the end off of the plugs with scissors, which does not affect their sound-blocking abilities in the least.) Coupled with the fan on my window unit, I couldn't hear a thing outside of the room. No annoying neighbors, cars, or anything...I didn't wake up once. I used that first pair for about 4 days, and could have used them longer--you could wear the same pair for a week with no problem. About the only con to these plugs are the fact that they are bright blue and a bit long (though, as I mentioned, they can be cut), which means they're not exactly discreet. But if you're anything like me, you don't really care what you look like in these things as long as you don't have to listen to other people's noise. Also, and more relevant for me, is the price. At about $0.60/pair in small quantities, they are the most expensive of the three. However, they are significantly cheaper if you buy them in bulk here on Amazon, especially if you are a Prime member and can get free shipping--this brings the price down to a much more reasonable $0.35/pair or so (see updated pricing info at the top of the review).

I decided, "wow, if the first kind of plugs I tried were so great, what about the others?" Since Howard Leight Max plugs also have great reviews on Amazon, I picked some up at a local C/V/S (sold as "Super Leight" in a package of 10 pairs). While I found them to be very easy to insert and extremely comfortable, they didn't seem to offer quite as much noise isolation as the Xtremes. Although they have the same NRR (33), the seal just didn't seem quite as tight. A side-by-side comparison revealed the Super Leights to be just a tad smaller in diameter. As a result, they are easier to remove, which I consider a con because I would rather have earplugs stay put. However, if your ears are smaller than mine, you might find the Howard Leight's just as good, if not better, at reducing outside noise, and they would probably be more comfortable as well. Just be aware that they are hunting-jacket orange, so they are even less discreet than the Hearos XP's. However, they are the cheapest of the three plugs--if you buy 200 pair on Amazon (sold as MAX1, but I'm pretty sure it's the same plug), it brings the price down to just a dime or so per pair! Because these plugs seem to be of similar construction to the Hearos XP, you should be able to get at least a week's worth of wear out of these plugs as well--so you're set for four years!

Just for the heck of it, I figured I might as well try the Hearos Ultimate Softness too (another plug well regarded by Amazon reviewers). Although they were comfortable, the seal was not very tight at all and they didn't seem to block nearly as much noise as the Xtremes or the Super Leights. (When I compared them side by side with the Xtremes, I realized how much smaller in diameter the Ultimate Softness are.) They are, however, the most discreet of the bunch. They barely stick out of my ears at all, and they blend in better with my skin tone--of course, they may not blend in with yours. It would be nice if they offered the same plugs in different colors, but manufacturers probably think it would be more confusing for the consumer. They are a little cheaper in the drugstore than the XP, but in bulk they become quite a bit cheaper at about $0.25/pair.

Since noise-blocking is by far the most important feature for me, I'm going to stick with the Hearos Xtreme Protection. Don't take my experience as gospel, but if you have average to large ear canals (which I'm not sure how to figure out, but I figure mine must be of the larger variety), you will probably find the Xtremes to be the best noise blockers. If price is your main concern, go with the Howard Leights, which are almost as good at blocking noise but much cheaper. If you want to compare for yourself, Hearos will send you a free sample if you fill out a form on their website. If you don't want to wait 6-8 weeks, you can go to your local drugstore and spend about $10-$11 and pick up a few different brands.

Thanks for reading to the end!

UPDATE: This review has engendered a fairly long comments section. I'm no expert on otology (I just happen to have heard of the word), but I will try to answer any questions you have about the plugs I've reviewed here for all those seeking peace and quiet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, good noise protection, but not as breathable as my favorite brand, May 13, 2011
My significant other snores, so I've become an expert on ear plugs.

I have tried quite a few of them and Hearos Xtreme Protection is among them. Below is a summary of my experiences with different ear plugs. I hope you will find it useful. Other then the noise protection, the important factors for me are : if the plugs stay in your ear, and if they are breathable (some of them made my ear canals hot and sweaty, that makes them itch, and itching wakes me up).

* Hearos ear plugs, Xtreme protection Series, 33 decibels. Hearos have a good size, not too long and not too short. They are slightly shorter than Flent Quiet time, so they don't stick out of my ear, and this means they don't catch the pillow and don't get pulled out. They are firmer than Hearos ultimate softness so they provide more noise protection. Overall they are comfortable, but I find that my ear canal gets hot and sweaty using them. This makes them itch, and needing to itch wakes me up.

* Hearos ear plugs,ultimate softness, 32 decibels. Hearos have a good size, not too long not too short. They are slightly shorter than Flent Quiet time, so they don't stick out of my ear, and this means they don't catch the pillow and don't get pulled out. They are also slightly softer, and provide a little less protection. Overall they are comfortable, but I find that my ears get hot and sweaty using them.

* Flents Quiet Contour, molded foam, 33 decibels.
This is my favorite ear plug. It gives me the best noise protection, it stays in the ear very well, it is comfortable, my ear canal does not get hot and itchy. I find the most comfortable. (see attached photo)

* Flent Quiet Time, comfort foam, 33 decibels. I like these earplugs less thant Quiet Contour because it does not seem to stay in my ear as well. The ends of the foam seem to stick out and catch on the pillow when I turn, catching the end on the pillow pulls them out of my year. I got it to stay in the ear better by trimming about 3/8th of an inch. Because they tend to fall out, I don't get as good of a sleep in them. However, when they are in the sound protection is good.

* Mack's pillow soft earplugs (sillicone), 22 decibels. These earplugs did not work for me at all. They did not provide enough sound protection, my ear canal got hot and sweaty and itchy, and they also tend to fall out.

For me Flents Contour ear plugs win on all counts - noise protection, comfort, staying, breathability.

5.0 out of 5 stars blissful silence..., March 23, 2010
John W. Wendt (Lubbock, TX and Gulu, Uganda) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I live in Uganda, in east Africa. Zoning laws? Say WHAT? You can find an all-night bar opening just down the road from your home (yes, there's one just 4 houses down). It's a rare hotel that's quiet--and I travel a lot. Thin walls, noisy bar, trucks, cars, call to prayer at 5 am, and motorcycles zipping past at all hours. Hotel life used to be, to put it mildly, quite annoying.

Ah, that was before my little blue Hearos. I would pay the price of a full pack for a single pair. There are other earplugs out there, but none like Hearos X-treme. Very soft and comfy. They roll up small and expand slowly, so you have plenty of time to get them in your ears. In the 30 seconds that they take to expand, sounds fade, then disappear altogether. I'm enveloped in a cocoon of blissful silence. Just knowing all of that noise is out there and can't touch me makes me sleep all the better.

Some other nice features...if you are cheap like me or don't want to re-order, you can wash them in rubbing alcohol or methylated spirits, squeeze them out in a dry washcloth, and they're as good as new after a few hours to dry out. I've yet to wear out a pair.

Have tiny ears? So does my wife. We just got some good scissors and pruned them down to size for her. And, they won't tear. I've put some other earplugs a bit deep in my ear, and when grabbing a corner to pull them out, they would break off. Not the Hearos Xtremes.

On the downside--no earplug can stop an ultra-low, ultra-loud sub-woofer. Thankfully, the one from the bar down the road booms, but not excessively at those frequencies. But I have had the experience coming from a hotel bar--and at that point the only thing to do is ask them politely to turn it down.

This is one of the cheapest ways to dramatically improve your life if you live or travel to noisy places, or live in one. I keep a pair permanently in my travel bag, and another on my bedside table. Sweet dreams!

5.0 out of 5 stars They work for me, September 23, 2009
Sara (Vacaville, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I sleep with a heavy snorer. I mean, blow-you-outta-the-water snoring. I tried numerous other ear plugs, and they all worked a bit, but never enough to allow me to sleep in peace. These work. You must follow directions, though, and insert them properly. But once they are in place, it's off to slumberland. Thank you, Hearos!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy Bovine!!! Life is better now..., July 28, 2009
I must use earplugs (always in sleep and in extreme areas) as noise now gives me a headache (stress?). These, I can tell you as a professional amateur, are the finest available. Squishy, comfy and DEADLY quiet. All foam earplugs LOOK the same, orange or pale and foamy. They are NOT the same, stick with 'Hearos' (I have done the tests over twenty five years of use) and change them when they lose 'spongy-gooey' quality (for both comfort and performance).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, June 23, 2012
I brought it few weeks back. I like its noise reduction capabilities as it considerably reduces the noise. The problem with this is, even if it is soft, in morning I felt like my ear is expanded because of pressure from this ear plug, sometimes pain also. As I am sleeping wearing them, I wake up in night if i change the sides and it puts air pressure inside ears. Overall it is good for noise reduction but does have some limitations, not sure if all other products are also having similar impact.

5.0 out of 5 stars They do the trick!, March 8, 2009
Over the years I've become a light sleeper. When I moved onto the street level of a busy street, I went for days without it, distracted from unconsciousness by the roar of cars and trucks breaking and honking at the nearby traffic light. I finally dragged my weary self to the nearest pharmacy and purchased my first package of ear plugs. Four well-rested years later, I've experimented with brands and sizes and conclude that these are the ones for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further !!!, August 19, 2009
Comfortable and effective. If the noise is coming from outside the room than these are 100% effective (from within the room 80%). They work like a miracle (if inserted properly). Insertion is easy after practicing a few times (seeing the insertion technique video on Hearos website helped). You can keep them on all day long or sleep with them without experiencing any discomfort. Will recommend buying with the Hearos plastic case the first time so that the buds don't get dirty. You can use a pair for at least a week.

I would pay a dollar for a pair, that tells you how much of a difference they have made to my life.

P.S. Note: I researched for hours on the internet reading reviews, these are the best ear plugs available out there at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked precisely as I expected..., September 3, 2009
I bought these as a freshman coming into college to block out the horrid noises I was told I would hear in my dorm. The main reason I chose these specifically was because they had the greatest noise dampening rating and, as reviews claimed, were comfortable -- both of these claims are correct.

The Hearos fit comfortably in the ear and don't bother me when sleeping or performing daily activities, and they block out sound quite well. I could still barely make out the sound of voices outside my dorm room (if someone was shouting or just being really loud), but under normal circumstances, they made a world of difference.

Don't let the product picture fool you; you get three packs of 14 pairs, so there are plenty of them, and they are reusable, though I wouldn't wear the same pair for a month or anything. I'll definitely buy these again when I run out.

5.0 out of 5 stars They work., June 21, 2011
(Sigh)....
Apartment living...how anyone can say this is enjoyable is either hearing impared or they like noise.
Me?
Hate it.
Hate the noise, hate the fact that I can't sleep.
I've tried everything....
A box fan....
Aerospeed 20-Inch 3-Speed Premium Box Fan with Energy Efficient Design and Carrying Handle
A Marpaq Sleep mate...
Marpac SleepMate 980A Electro-Mechanical Sound Conditioner
And finally the mother of all fans...a Patton floor fan that sounds like a jet...
Patton U2-2003-UC 20-Inch Velocity Air Circulator
The Patton does the best job of all, on high speed it literally drowns out anything.
Anything but the dreaded bass.
I'm not talking music bass.
I'm talking stomping feet bass.
I just about gave up as I've tried ear plugs before with minimal success.
It turns out...like a lot of you I was using them incorrectly.
First you have to roll them into a little tiny cylinder, pull your ear up and away, THEN insert.
I was just jamming them in my ear only to have them pop back out.
After inserting them correctly?
AHHHH......the only bass I could still hear was the percussive sound my body could sense.
Otherwise...peace and quiet.
Can I finally sleep on a regular basis now?
Hearos ear plugs...highly recommended.

Hearos Xtreme Protection, 14-Pair Foam (Pack of 3)
$15.99 $13.99