5.0 out of 5 stars fluffy escapism with extra shopping

2.0 out of 5 stars I stopped reading halfway... :-(
Published on January 1, 2013 by BOOKed till March

5.0 out of 5 stars fluffy escapism with extra shopping, July 28, 2009
This review is from: I Heart New York (Paperback)
This book is classic girly escapism and I loved it. Our heroine flees a bad relationship and goes to New York, immediately makes impossibly cool, beautiful and stylish friends, states flat-out she has a fairly unlimited credit card and bank balance, has a full makeover, shops a lot, and is asked out by lots of lovely handsome men who make her forget her troubles. The writing lingeringly describes the shopping experiences (Bloomingdales et al) and fully describes each outfit the heroine wears. My favourite novel is Madame Bovary, and this is totally the 21st century version (without the adultery and death-by-arsenic.) I enjoyed it more than any of Marion Keys books, even Sushi for Beginners, and it is frothier and even less realistic. This novel is not supposed to be realistic; it is idealized fantasy. If, like me, your fantasies include Marc Jacob handbags then you will enjoy this book. Perfect for holidays, or long wet weekends with hot chocolate.

2.0 out of 5 stars I stopped reading halfway... :-(, January 1, 2013
I feel bad writing a bad review, but this book bored me so much I stopped reading halfway. It's not a terrible book - it's just a bit outlandish, especially if you have been reading chick lit for a while. I found the fact that the protagonist can up and move to New York and suddenly have male interests popping out everywhere a bit cliched. Maybe I read the book at the wrong time or maybe it was meant to be pure escapism.

If you just want to fantasize about living in a new city, going shopping and having male interests, this book will probably fulfill that fantasy. For me, I just didn't relate. Not from the opening wedding moments to her arrival in NY and her progressing love relationship. So I just stopped reading.

Again, this might just be me since the book seemed to have garnered enough attention that it spawned sequels. So to each his own.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, March 11, 2011
chux (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Heart New York (Paperback)
I love chick lit, I do. Fluffy, sugary escapism is fantastic, especially when it comes in such a calorie-free format as a book. I did not, however, enjoy 'I Heart New York'. The copy I had came with Glamour Magazine - it was pre-release because apparently the publishers were just 'so excited to share it with the world'. They would have done better to control their eagerness - the book was absolutely rife with typos and misspellings; at one point the author even decided to change the main love interest's name half through and hadn't gone bothered to go back and edit it. Sure, I didn't pay for the book, but there are basic standards of quality even in free fiction.
Even aside from that, the story was unbelievable and totally balked at dealing with any of the protagonist's real problems; her relationship with her ex-husband and the magnitude of moving to a foreign country could have been explored a little bit more. Instead, the author chose to rip of the plot line of How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days.
Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!!!, May 4, 2011
This review is from: I Heart New York: A Novel (Paperback)
Excellent start in this series! Very entertaining, LOVE her writing style. I wish there were more than just 3 in the series!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy this fun story, December 27, 2010
This review is from: I Heart New York: A Novel (Paperback)
Lindsey Kelk's I HEART NEW YORK is an entertaining -- if predictable -- novel about a young woman's late blooming. Though our main character is hardly a teen, it read like a coming-of-age story; Angela's awakening to life beyond Mark, her stodgy and boring ex-fiance, and the hum-drum life they'd formed together.

Everything in I HEART NEW YORK felt implausible to me. To say that life just happens to Angela is an understatement. At more than one point in the book, I let out this condescending chuckle, like, "Really, it's that simple?" For example, the fact that Angela has been in New York less than 24 hours before meeting Jenny, the woman who becomes her BFF and soon shares an apartment with her. It's pretty convenient that Jenny has an opening to completely take over Angela's life, rearranging her grief and anger at Mark into something bordering on productive. Oh! Oh! And how about a friend of Jenny's who can hook her up with a contact at a very popular women's magazine -- and said magazine happens to have an opening for a blogger? A dating blogger. And Angela? Angela's dating. Two dudes at once, in fact, and she's a writer, y'all. So she's perfect for the position. Of course.

And the guys she's dating, Tyler and Alex? It's the classic bad-boy/good-guy tripe, pitting one against the other. Tyler can give her wealth and stability, lavishing her with expensive gifts, while Alex, a musician, has the hot emo skinny-jeans thing going on. Despite all her back-and-forth about what to do, it was obvious who she was going to pick -- and I didn't blame her. What I did find fault with was the fact that both men apparently knew about Angela's dating blog and didn't care. I mean, girlfriend was writing a blog -- about them, their dates, hinting at their sex life -- and neither of them seemed concerned. Um, what?

But, to my surprise -- you know? I liked it. Kelk's writing was funny and endearing; Angela, for all her ridiculousness, was a character I enjoyed reading about and rooted for. Even though her life became just so picture-perfect and awesome, I didn't begrudge her that. Lord knows our girl went through some tough times to get there. The book flowed seamlessly and featured realistic dialogue -- even with the unrealistic plot twists.

Also, New York really functioned as another character in the novel. Seeing the city through Angela's eyes was a treat, especially as she grew used to American customs and the Big Apple's cultural landmarks. She fell in love with New York just as she was learning to love herself, and that was an important lesson. By the final page, I did feel as though Angela had undergone a great change -- an instrumental part of me enjoying any book.

This book was pure candy for me: sweet, non-filling, enjoyable. I turned each page and was wildly entertained by Angela's misadventures, which equaled a pretty fun romp to me. Lovers of chick lit and British women's fiction will likely enjoy our heroine's story -- as long as they can suspend disbelief for about 300 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, December 9, 2010
This review is from: I Heart New York: A Novel (Paperback)
At her best friend's wedding, Angela catches her boyfriend on ten years cheating on her. Plus, her best friend's known about it. She goes back into the wedding, breaks the groom's hand, and makes a huge scene.

She has no idea what to do next, so she flees. She jumps on a plane to New York and doesn't look back.

She instructs the cab driver to take her to a hotel where she meets the concierge, Jenny. Jenny takes one took at Angela and immediately takes her under her wing. She takes her shopping for a new wardrobe and new makeup, attempting to create a more put-together Angela.

She invites Angela out with her friends, who also welcome her with open arms. In a stroke of luck, she meets two guys, both who ask her out on a date. And she has an interview for an online blog for a magazine.

The magazine loves her Bridget Jones meets New York blog idea. Angela begins dating the two men, each very different. While she juggles both of them, she writes about their dates. Her viewers eat up her drama. She has no thought towards her future, she's simply living in the moment and loving it.

Before long, she moves in with Jenny and thinks seriously about staying in New York forever. She loves the city. How can she ever leave it?

Lindsey Kelk knocks it out of the park with her debut novel. I love how Angela falls in love with the city and explores it with eyes wide open. I love the commentary running through her head, especially while she's out on dates (the Cheetos bit, especially). Angela's adventures make you cringe, laugh, and fall in love!

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy-breezy read, July 18, 2013
This review is from: I Heart New York (Paperback)
Yes I do like chick-lit every now and then and love most books by Kinsella, Weisberger, Potter and the like. Kelk was a logical choice. No this is not Shakespeare, but it is a good book when you're in the mood for a relatively shallow and of course completely predictable happy-end story. The character of Angela is relatable to some extent even though she does seem shockingly naive, but so do most characters in chick-lit (think Becky Bloomwood), and despite me being a feminist, this doesn't put me off the slightest - it's a fun read regardless. The story is hardly believable, especially the Jenny Lopez portion, but also here - who cares. Also, if you know and like or even love New York, this book allows you to easily daydream into the city. Being a massive fan of the Shopaholic series, 'I heart NY' was right up my alley and did not disappoint me in any way - just what I wanted for a light-hearted, fun read for my beach vacation.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed, June 3, 2012
This review is from: I Heart New York (Kindle Edition)
I love chick lit and was really looking forward to reading this book. I recently read "The single girls to do list" and thought it was great. However, "I heart new york" was just awful. I could barely finish it. It started out strong, but then just became ridiculous and the main character was not likeable at all. Also, I'm surprised that the author didn't do more research on American speech (or that the editors didn't catch the mistakes). How many Americans use words/phrases like "queue"? Oversights like that just seemed a bit sloppy to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is Chick Lit, September 10, 2010
This review is from: I Heart New York: A Novel (Paperback)
If you are a chick lit fan, you are going to love this book. This books screams chick lit and is the perfect example of the genre. This book is not deep heavy literary fiction that is going to change the world. If you are expecting a serious read that will force your brain into over thinking this is not the book for you. If you are, however, looking for a fun escape read with a little bit of fantasy living that everyone wishes that they could have and takes place in the most exciting city in the world, then this it the book for you.

If only everyone could be so lucky and have find a Jenny when they are down on their luck. Angela doesn't know how good she had it at finding her new friend. Seriously, Jenny is like a fairy godmother who takes Angela under her wing. Right from the get go, Angela is treated like royalty and gets to do things almost every girl dreams of but either can't afford or is not given the opportunity to experience. Hair treatments, shopping trips, clubbing adventures - the perfect life for a 20-something in NYC. Plus two hot guys are there to take away any thoughts of her cheating ex.

Angela's adventures take her all over the city. I had a fun time traveling along with her as she discovered the wonder that is NYC. The two guys she dates give her a different perspective of life in the city. One is a well to do businessman while the other is a hipster musician. One is upscale Manhattan, the other is artsy Brooklyn. BTW, I've visited Brooklyn and I love it. Why all the hate from Manhattanites? Please explain!

There are times where things are a bit unbelievable. Of course the whole Cinderella transformation is unlikely to happen to everyone who comes to NYC. Angela's only been in the States for a few weeks and gets a job like *that*. She stars a blog for work that almost immediately is a hit right from the start. Personally, I'm a bit wary of that because unless you are a celebrity who has been talking about starting up a blog weeks before to gather hype, almost every blogger starts off with either a very small or non existent readership. Also Angela seemed a bit naive to think that the two guys she was dating wouldn't find out about each other. She talks about them all the time on her blog and the nicknames she doesn't give are very discreet. Plus she talks ABOUT her blog to BOTH guys so of course they are going to check it out, see their portrayal on there AND see that she's dating another guy at the same time. A bit more discreetness could have helped her out.

However, even with those qualms, I really loved this book. It was just what I needed in between all the serious books I have been reading lately. Except for the bit of my boyfriend cheating on me, I would have loved to trade places with her. New York City is one of my favorite places to visit and it's always wonderful to read about it from fresh eyes. Kelk makes the reader feel as if they are actually there and live vicariously through Angela. I'm excited that her books are now coming Stateside. She's written several other books that have been published in Britain that continue the adventures of Angela and I really hope that they make it over here soon. If you are ready for some fun chick lit, this is the perfect book for you. HIGHLY recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic & fun!, September 9, 2010
Kate (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Heart New York: A Novel (Paperback)
I HEART NEW YORK, by Lindsey Kelk, was a fun and fresh romantic read. Kelk created a lovely broken-hearted heroine that readers are sure to root for during her trek to New York City to reinvent herself after a terrible breakup.

Right from the start I loved this book. I am a big fan of reading books where the characters are from the UK. Angela was the cutest NYC-challenged girl! Her bubbly, no-nonsence personality brought friends to her circle in droves. With the help of Jenny, Angela was able to build herself back up and start anew in this busling city.

All of the characters were very "real". I could see these people existing in the melting pot that is NYC, and that made this book very dear to me. Kelk created such emotional situtations for Angela, that I felt her struggles right along with her. This to me is a sign of great writing. I connected with the setting as well. I love hopping on the train and getting lost in NYC in my own life so it was refreshing to see the sights and sounds from a new perspective.

Although it was an awkward situation for Angela to balance two men in her life, I was happy with the results. I saw both of them as an experience for her that not only furthered her career but made her finally figure out where she belongs. They were both swoon-worthy and that's all I will say!

I liked the added elements of shopping and eating in this book. Other books I have read in this genre do not focus on this part of a breakup and I thought it was definitely noteworthy. I did wonder at times where Angela's shopping money was coming from but it did not hinder my experience. And I love a girl who can eat! Personally, when I am in a situation of great stress I bring on the ice cream and cookies as well. Overall, this was a great book about starting over and finding yourself even when it seems hopeless. I can't wait to read the continuation of this series.

I Heart New York: A Novel
I Heart New York: A Novel by Lindsey Kelk (Paperback - September 7, 2010)
$13.99 $12.48