4.0 out of 5 stars Great, with a few exceptions
Published on March 20, 2001 by Dana

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is an easy read if you need something to fill a Sunday ...
This book is an easy read if you need something to fill a Sunday afternoon. There isn't much character development or plot growth.
Published 2 months ago by Christy M.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, with a few exceptions, March 20, 2001
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
What is different about this book compared to other books by Johanna Lindsey it's that is very, very dramatic and intense. From the ones I have read, the only one which comes close in dramatism is "Savage Thunder". (This does not mean that I don't like the other ones... I like them very much, but they have other qualities: intense romance and funny dialogues, especially). But Chandos, the hero of A Heart So Wild, stands apart in the gallery of male characters created by Mrs. Lindsey. He is a troubled man, which has suffered a great deal in the past and is now seeking to avenge his loved ones. He is also torn between his two sides, because he is a white man raised among indians and he does not fit in perfectly in either place. He is very complex and he is not the usual hero: he has no trouble killing people and even torturing them... if he feels he is rigth. Sure, Angel did the same thing, but Chandos is even more ruthless. In the beggining of the book I was even wondering how Mrs. Lindsey plans to redeem him, but she did...
Unlike most of her novels, A Heart So Wild has a dark setting (of course, I don't mean nighttime... I mean I felt all the time that something somber is looming above) and no funny passages. I loved the mood it created.
Another aspect I have also loved was that the relationship between the two was that of equals, as it should be between man and woman. They are very different, but he doesn't try to dominate her or punish her or tell her what to do more than it is natural. I liked this because I am rather dissappointed with those of Mrs. Lindsey books in which the hero is the prototype of the domineering male and spanks, or worse, rapes the heroine.
A nice touch was added by the fact that Chandos and Courtney had met before, when she was just a teenager, four years or so before the actual action starts. Although she doesn't know it was him, the encounter had a very powerful effect on Chandos and influences many of his actions.
The book is very good, and is not the usual romance story. It raises many other issues, about racial prejudices and human cruelty, about injustice. It is quite violent in some places. I dodn't mind, as the violence was justified and was part of the hero's character.
However, I only give it 4/5 because of Courtney. The heroine did not quite convince me; I will most probably forget her very soon, unlike Jessica Fleming or Georgina Anderson, for example. I don't know where Mrs. Lindsey failed, because she did try. Courtney is not plain, she actually does some things, makes decisions, but she does not stand on her own. I could understand Chandos, why he felt bound and attracted to her, what determined his actions, but I cannot say the same for Courtney. When and why she became attracted to him was not clear to me. She was just sketched as a character.
Having said all this, I only want to say that of all Mrs. Lindsey books, I liked the Mallory books (especially those about Tony, James and Derek) and the westerns: Angel (***** !!!), Savage Thunder (also *****), Tender Is The Storm. I also liked Until Forever, Man Of My Dreams and Once A Princess. I did not care much for When Love Awaits, Warrior's Woman or Silver Angel and I hated A Pirate's Love. This should tell you something about my tastes and if we coincide, this review should help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great love Story, April 18, 2006
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been meaning to review this for ages, and I'm finally getting around to it! If I could I'd give this book like 20 stars! I think I have read this one 8 times. I've read almost all JL's (Love her!) and this is the best. If you like romance, this story is a must. I came across this book in a hotel when I was twelve years old. I was a bit shocked by it at first, but I ended up loving it. This is the book that got me hooked on romance. I loved it then and it is still my favorite book. The characters are extremely memorable and there is loads of chemistry between them. The way their relationship evolved and they fell in love was very believable and convincing. I love westerns, but sometimes the plots are confusing/ repetitive. Not this one!

Chandos is the hottest fictional character ever written, in my opinion. I REALLY WISH HE WERE REAL! What's so engaging and memorable about him is that he's extremely manly, strong-willed, and even sometimes brutal, but he is very protective of Courntney, and "gentle when it matters". It's so cute the way he calls her "Cateyes"!

Courtney, the woman he falls in love with, is adorable. She starts out quite shy and timid around him, which is understandable, considering he's a studly, macho gunfighter-type guy. It's a wonder she even manages to ask the intimidating Chandos to guide her across Indian territory in the first place. However, as their journey progresses, I was glad to see courtney show a side that wasn't originally apparent-very passionate and brave.

It's very romantic how these people meet after a chance encounter four years prior, and fall in love. The plot was deep, complex, and greatly enriched by the story of chandos's past and his struggle for revenge and justice. Some might say the ending is sappy, but I loved it! this book is terrific from the first sentense (even though it's kind of graphic!) to the last, including all the components of a great and memorable romance: passion, true love, adventure, heartbreak, an engrossing plot, interesting secondary characters, a happy not sappy ending, an engaging leading lady, and an extremely hot, on-fire, out-of-this-worldly attractive hero. READ IT! YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED! YOU WILL END UP READING IT OVER AND OVER!

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT HOT HOT!!!!!, December 28, 2004
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow! This was an awesome book! I have read a LOT of Romance novels and a lot of Lindsey's books in particular. Memorable romance novels are few and far between. I have to say, this is one of the best books I have ever read. It has everything I look for in a romance novel: a dangerous, manly hero, a beautiful, intellegent leading lady, and lots of exciting scenes where the hero saves his lady. Chandos is my dream man. He has a "don't mess with me" attitude, but loves and protects his woman with an intensity you could sigh over. I will most certainly re-read this book after a little time has passed. Lindsey writes so vividly, you could actually picture yourself in the scenes living it right along with the characters. Take my advice, buy this book. You will NOT be disappointed I assure you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Heart So Marvelous, June 22, 2004
Dakota "daxydakota" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
"A Heart So Wild" was the first JL I ever read, and it is probably the book I compare all her other stories to. The first time I read it was around 12 or 13 years ago. I just reread it this weekend, and it was just as fresh and exciting as the first time! Chandos is one of the most rugged, dangerous, sexy, and altogether tragically romantic heroes JL has created (only Colt Thunder of "Savage Thunder" can beat him as the ultimate JL hero, in my opinion). Courtney, though timid and shy at first, has so much spirit and grows so much in Chandos' care, that she's wonderful to watch. It was exceptionally fun to see how Cateyes (as Chandos called her) handled being attacked by that monstrous gunslinger Pretty Boy and, much later, by Calida - a beautiful rival for Chandos' affections - in an unforgetable catfight. Hero and heroine aside, the love scenes are hot, the plot is fast-paced and interesting, the supporting characters are memorable, and the action is intense. Plus, there is a dark side to this story that will immediately grab hold of you, making you want vengeance as much as Chandos. I highly recommend reading "A Heart So Wild," especially if you like the Wild West and Indian stories. I did finished reading its sequal "All I Need Is You" yesterday, and must admit I didn't care for it. The sequal in no way had as much passion, daring, or heartache as in "A Heart So Wild."

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE CHANDOS!, June 19, 2003
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
Chandos is the greatest hero of any romance novel. There is no man more fierce, dangerous, intriguing, or gorgeous!!! Courtney is the luckiest woman of fiction! This is such a good book that you'll probably finish it in 1 day (I did). Read the other reviews, EVERYBODY LOVES CHANDOS!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm wild for this one!, July 15, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
I usually hate Westerns, but this one blew me away. Lindsey just has a gift for this stuff. Chandos is a HUNK in the real sense of the word. And Courtney is adorable and likable. The chemistry is hot, the plot quick-paced, and the romance is unforgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, October 11, 2000
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
Chandos is a man with a secret past, a gunfighter hunting down a group of men who performed an act so atrocious, it still haunts him four years later. Courtney Harte is a lovely, shy young woman who is unaware of her own sexuality. Believing that her father is dead, Courtney slaves for her stepmother until she sees a news photo of a man resembling her father. Could he be alive? When Courtney meets Chandos, she feels safe. He reminds her of someone who might of helped her in her past. Because of this, she asks him to take her to Waco to find her father. But Chandos knows something that Courtney does not remember. She does know him and the revelation could be quite terrifying.
Johanna Lindsey sweeps us back to survival in the Old West. Men are men and women are women and everyone must fight to survive. Chandos is dark and mysterious, a man with a past. Courtney is shy and easily frightened, but comes into her own as they journey through Indian Territory to Waco. A wonderful love story! One of Lindsey's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chandos Rules!, December 13, 2004
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my favorite Lindsey novel ever. Chandos is the hottest guy in creation (or, fiction). You will LOVE this book--go and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the sweetest romances..., March 7, 2000
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so enthralled by A Heart So Wild that I practically cried when I finished it. Chandos's character was unbelievably masculine, yet vulnerable and tender when it came to Courtney. I was thoroughly engrossed in their trail ride and the ordeals they went through to get to their separate destinations--and how they were led right back to each other!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey's Best Book To Date!!!, September 19, 2002
This review is from: A Heart So Wild (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my all time favorite book by Johanna Lindsey. The characters are wonderful, and really compliment each other. Chandos is my all time favorite hero, and I find his and Courtney's story to be truly endearing. You won't be disappointed in this read!!!!!!!!!!

A Heart So Wild
A Heart So Wild by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - December 1, 1986)
$7.99