5.0 out of 5 stars Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory, December 1, 2007
Whamo (San Clemente, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
I collect Rick's art. I've loved it since I first saw it on album covers and in SURFER magazine in the 60's. I had the pleasure of visiting his studio, and speaking to him several times. He was a passonate man, and his art reflects his passions: God, surfing, rock and roll, and the psychedelic experience. This book tells and shows of his journey better than any previous efforts. If you like Rick's art, you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars more in sight, November 26, 2007
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
Readers who already possess the McClelland book on Rick Griffin's work may be wondering whether it is worth buying this as well. In my view the answer is yes. Most non-surfers came to Rick via a handful of
quintessential psychedelic images - Aoxomoxoa, Eternal Reservoir, the Flying Eyeball etc - and subsequently became aware of other more whimsical
examples of his art. If we dug a bit further we learnt of Murph the Surf and were perhaps underwhelmed, because the original Murph's moment had surely passed. We may also have learnt that Rick later became a born-again Christian, which would surely have alarmed some, for did not the same information bring Robert Zimmerman's reputation to its knees (pardon the pun). This overview from the Laguna Art Museum rises above such pettiness and identifies a theme running through Griffin's career.
Griffin immersed himself in a series of rebel subcultures, illustrating their preoccupations and elevating their concerns to new levels through the medium of his art. First it was Californian surf culture - enter Murph - then it was the psychedelic movement, and later the so-called
Jesus freaks. In all cases it is probable that Griffin took the members to places they did not initially want to go - witness Murph Mk 2, the drug-crazed anarchist, or the sin-soaked junkie praying to God for salvation and conjuring up some rather ahem.. unusual images. This book provides us with a much more balanced take on Rick's artistic endeavours, few of which fail to astound. If you missed the apocalypse first time around, Rick can refresh the parts that other artists, except perhaps Hieronymous Bosch, fail to reach. I for one had been steeped in Griffin's psychedelia, and vaguely aware of Murph, but had almost completely overlooked the transcendent beauty of some of Rick's "Christian" work. The mainstream art world is held up by two pillars: snobbery and exclusivity, they will not be recognising Rick's genius for a century or so, but you can get yours now: take a look through Rick's Mystic Eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surfer's Eye, January 18, 2008
Philip S. Wolf (SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
I have been a Fan of the Amazing Talents of Rick Griffin since 1969, when I first layed eyes on the Cover of Zap Comix, Number 3. The First Collection of his Work was published by Paper Tiger Books in 1980, and that Book has always been a Favorite of mine.

This Brand New Collection: "Heart And Torch", from The Laguna Art Museum, is just as impressive as Paper Tiger Edition. Printed on Heavy Stock Art Paper, it is Overflowing with Work from all Phases of Rick's life. From the images of Murphy The Surfer that appeared in Surfer Magazine whilst Rick was still a teenager to Posters of San Francisco Music and happenings from 1966-1980's. Covers for early editions of Rolling Stone Magazine in the late 60's. Album Covers for The Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Hunter and Man.

What set Rick apart from his fellow Graphic Illustrators such as R.Crumb and Stanley Mouse was his Fantastic Vision to really get Far Out There with a very Good Third Eye {And while all this happened on our Planet, Rick only had a single Eye to see from!}. This Artist did not 'See' Boundaries in Art, his imagination could not be Locked-Down or Controlled to the Rules of the Medium, he Expanded Worlds and wasn't Trapped in them.

The "Flying Eyeball" Poster for a Jimi Hendrix/John Mayall Concert at The Filmore West in 1968, alone would have made Rick's career, But...there is so much more. He created new languages in his Art, such as for The Grateful Dead's Album Cover {1969] Aoxomoxia, that for many of us Defines, The Sixties in San Francisco as THE Piece of Art. When Rick would draw his own image he usually gave himself a "Third Eye", and I believe this is perfectly correct as the Man always saw something that the rest of us would miss, this Book tells his Story in Words and Pictures and it is indeed a "Transcendence".

The most Perfect way to enjoy Rick Griffin, outside of this book would be for you to find a copy of: "Tales From The Tube" his 1973 Comix Book. For me it's a Peak and a Crest, in a Life filled with water and skies. This Comix explains where Rick was coming from and shows where he was headed, it is simply amazing.

If you see a Poster in the Skies above you, I'll bet you it is Rick, still creating his Wonderful Art in the Heavens...FIVE STARS !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, June 24, 2008
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
Heart and Torch - Rick Griffin is a good book to have your library is you are a Rick Griffin fan and want a history on him and his work. Some redundancy, but worth the buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars rick done right, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
Finally, one of the late sixties visionary artists is presented in a book format that is equal to the artist and his spectacular talent... as a teenager, when i first was exposed to this man's artwork (both album covers (1st Quicksilver, 3rd Dead album, etc), Zap Comix work, and his other widely distributed images, well, i was amazed... talk about a hand that could channel the Gods!! If you check out his early surf comics work, then the early San Fran posters (Human Be-In)and then his work for the Avalon and Fillmore music venues... Xrist!... He was growing geometrically in ability to transpose onto a 2 dimensional surface the most abstract spiritual and esoteric information.... yikes.... Of this era RG is way my fave artist but the Mouse/Kelly team and Moscoso ain't far behind... what was it about that time and place that inspired these guys? El S Dee and a call to freedom... OR? well, the supposed "reasons" are speculatable but really not available... mid-sixties California is as far away now as 19th century czarist russia.... the context is lost, more or less... YET, my art loving chillen, in this book you will learn ALOT of the strangeness of the time period , that fleeting 2 or 3 years prior to... grrr... the seventies... Mr Griffin got with Jesus at some point and continued to produce incredible work that must have put the heads of the evangelicals in a spin!! The Man couldnt hide his crazy angel-headed hipsterness despite being hooked up with JC... as i said, this is the finest book that has been produced on one of the late sixties west coast artists that were involved with the music/counter culture scene.... WELL DONE AND ESSENTIAL!!

5.0 out of 5 stars %Eye%Heart%Rick%, December 20, 2011
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
When I picked up the padded envelope this book arrived in, even before opening it, I said, "WOW!!" Just judging from the weight, thickness, and size of this book, I knew I was holding a very special publication. Upon opening it, I was not disappointed. The price was a bit steep, but I doubt I'll ever see it for much cheaper. I had purchased the smaller format book of Rick's work a decade or so before, but am glad I now have this one, too. I liked the poster art of Moscoso, Wes Wilson, and Mouse from these days, but Rick Griffin's drawing skills seemed to make most of his stuff slightly more mysterious and appealing than the rest, at least in my eye. Like every line and dot from his pen was drawn with purpose, nothing haphazard. Of course I like Crumb's stuff, but Rick's precise detail was seldom duplicated. This is a Christmas present to myself, so I haven't devoured it yet, but know I will learn a lot from studying his style. Miss you, Rick!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, July 19, 2011
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
I am in South Africa and from order to delivery I have no complaints. The only thing for me is that with import duties the book becomes very expensive.

As for the book itself, I do not regret buying it. I have always been a Griffin fan and Transcendence offers a broad variety of his work good and bad. Numerous colour illustrations and photographs. Nicely written and structured also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, February 15, 2011
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
Best book to date on Rick Griffin's art....... all facets, from the early surf art to the San Francisco Summer of Love // Grateful Dead pieces to Rick's beautifully inspired art evidencing his love for Jesus...... it is stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychedelic Art God and God Artist..., March 21, 2009
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
Don't miss this! The most marvelous showcase yet published of the masterful artwork of the late great Rick Griffin. His entire career from Surfer cartoonist, to Zap, and finally his incredible Christian-themed last works. Lots of well written biographical essays, but most of all an incredible massed density of profoundly beautiful psychedelic art, and lots of photos and more. A wonderful book honoring a highly distinctive artist and individual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stoked About This Book, August 8, 2008
Alan Lunn (Topeka, Kansas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence (Paperback)
I've always loved Rick Griffin's art since I was about 13. To have it all in a book, after all these years, is great. Since I also draw, I now realize how his art influenced me. I'd say he was great and this is a beautiful, inspiring, and defining collection. I'm stoked.

Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence
Heart & Torch - Rick Griffin's Transcendence by Doug Harvey (Paperback - July 21, 2007)
Used & New from: $69.98