5.0 out of 5 stars Really, my all-time favorite.
Published on March 31, 2005 by B. Sheets

1.0 out of 5 stars Tragic - NOT Comedy
This movie is not a comedy. It's not actually even a good script. It's well-written but the whole basis of the script: marriage, affair, pathetic and sad.

It is saved by the phenomenal acting of two of the greatest actors of the century. But the script says, "Hollywood is desperate for decent scripts."
Published on July 18, 2012 by alixandra

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, my all-time favorite., March 31, 2005
This review is from: Heart Burn (DVD)
My husbands laughs when I say a movie is my favorite(I have many favorites), but this one really is. I also love to read and what sets this adaptation apart is the way the two complement eachother,truly brilliant. The movie adds elements that the book didn't dwell on and the book covers all the details that movies just can't. Some movies can touch your heart in such a way that they leave you a bit raw. For me, this is one of those movies. No, it may not be a cinematic event for all, but for those who have loved with their whole heart and have been (or even risked) being hurt, you will find a good laugh and a few tears here. Only Nora Ephron herself could have wrote a screenplay that complemented her novel so well, and thankfully Mike Nichols brought it to life in such a way. Meryl Streep really is at her best here and the whole cast is excellent. I really do love this movie, it always amazes me that it is so underrated. Give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Expected, October 2, 2004
This review is from: Heart Burn (DVD)
I avoided this movie when it was released because I couldn't imagine that a film based on the marital breakup of Nora Ephron and Carl Bernstein would interest me. Although I am an admirer of both these folks for their talents as writers, I had always agreed with Richard Burton when he said, when asked if he would be writing about his marriage and breakup with Elizabeth Taylor, that even though love might be dead, that it wasn't for sale. Be that as it may, this movie is certainly worth seeing. Although the plot is a little thin, there are some very funny moments. (Whether some of the events actually happened in the Bernstein/Ephron saga doesn't matter.) Any film directed by Mike Nichols, starring Meryl Streep and Jack Nicholson, with cinematography by Nestor Amendros is well worth seeing.

Both Ms. Ephron and the viewer have the last laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Thrash!, October 15, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Heartburn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This movie is one of the most phenomenal pitures I have ever seen! It is highly ignored and often looked over, which I have never understood. My confusion is due mostly in part to genius performances by both Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. The writing and acting are superb.
Heartburn must come out on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Streep and Nicholson are great in this film, December 5, 2001
Ingrid Carney (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartburn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I never read the book, so my point of view is purely on the film. And I loved it long ago and still love it. There's an intesity Streep delivers that pains you to observe her character in this situation. The last 30 minutes is so good... and to add Carly Simon's Itsy Bitsy Spider rendition of Coming Around Again just did it for me. Best metaphore. Fabulous ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Streep Movie, December 4, 2002
This review is from: Heartburn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I absolutely love this movie. I agree with the other reviewer - WHY is this not on DVD? I am waiting for it to come out on dvd so I can purchase it. This is one movie you don't want to miss. It is funny and sad at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars best streep, July 24, 2002
This review is from: Heartburn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
not a fan of streep or nicholson. they are not actors in this film they are really living their lives. you believe they are in a documentary. i only have one criticism - why isnt it on DVD?

1.0 out of 5 stars Tragic - NOT Comedy, July 18, 2012
This review is from: Heartburn (Amazon Instant Video)

3.0 out of 5 stars WELL DONE BUT UNINVOLVING, June 1, 2005
This review is from: Heart Burn (DVD)
I will always sing the praises of Meryl Streep. This wonderfully gifted actress is capable of taking any role and infusing it with such passion and dedication that she can make a dull movie like HEARTBURN entertaining, just to bask in the glow of her performance. Based on Nora Ephron's novel and her marriage to Carl Bernstein, HEARTBURN doesn't really "do" much of anything. Streep marries philandering Jack Nicholson (in one of his more bland performances), has a couple of kids, and finds out he's cheating on her (duh?). Ephron's script cripples its stars by making Streep a little too whiny and self-pitying and Nicholson a little too dispassionate and predictable. One of the true crimes of this movie is Oscar's neglect to praise the movie's showpiece song COMIN AROUND AGAIN. Carly Simon's song poignantly evokes the loss but hope in any kind of relationship; it's pairing with the old children's ITSY BITSY SPIDER is creative genius. The spider gets washed down the spout but always goes back up to try again; in COMIN AROUND AGAIN, the song's emphasis on "I believe in love" mirrors the tenacity of the spider. What a shame Simon wasn't awarded for this feat. You will like HEARTBURN if you are fans of Streep and Nicholson, but it's not one of their best efforts.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow and cliched., August 22, 2012
Riley (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heartburn (Amazon Instant Video)
We rush through inane scenes of characters who just gossip and complain and snipe at each other, just so we can hurriedly get to the central conflict between two immature adults.

Blegh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tear Jerker.....Great for anyone who has been hurt in love!, April 26, 2000
This review is from: Heartburn [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Everytime I see this film I break down. Having been in Meryl's shoes, i know exactly the torment and pain. Carly Simon's "Coming Around Again" comes on at the perfect timing at the end to tug at your heart. Sorry the past reviews disliked the movie, but if you've been there......you have more respect for it.

Heartburn