5.0 out of 5 stars A sampler that's out of this world!
Published on March 16, 2000 by Bundtlust

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased
After listening to the disk I was mildly disappointed. Perhaps it will grow on me, but I think the tracks seem somewhat dated and unimaginative for some reason. I think I should have selected a more recent disk and also think the CD is overpriced.
Published on July 14, 2010 by Kevin R.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sampler that's out of this world!, March 16, 2000
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
Universe Sampler 90 was my gentle introduction into the fascinating world of spacemusic. Hearts of Space features many talented spacemusic artists such as Constance Demby, Steve Roach, Al Gromer Khan and Nik Tyndall. Different moods and atmospheres are presented here. Nik Tyndall offers the listener a glimpse of a floating mysterious paradise with Moments, Shiho reworks the Japanese folksong song Sakura into a shimmering cascade of notes on her electric koto, Al Gromer Khan blends the sounds of India (sitar, tabla) with modern technology for a breathtaking effect. A number of the CD's that are featured on this sampler such as Lagoon by Nik Tyndall and Shiho's album have gone out of print, their only available songs being on Universe Sampler 90. Although this CD dates from the early 1990's, there is still a great deal of memorable music available here. Images are conjured out of the depths of the imagination. This album still remains my favourite after eight or so years for its groundbreaking approach to New Age music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, July 26, 2004
kim*designer (Pittsburgh, PA area) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
This was originally given to me on a cassette tape as a gift from a friend who listened to PBS's Hearts of Space. It's 14 years later, I've worn out the tape, and I NEEDED this CD in my life! It's worth the purchase price for Raphael's Disappearing into You, which is the most deeply moving composition I've ever experienced. Every song is incredible. My four children, who are ages 15 - 23, love it when I play Star Dreams in the car and turn up the volume as the starship takes off. What a winner! If you don't buy any other CD this year, buy this one; it will feed your soul and take you places that you never dreamed you'd go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sampler and a great introduction to the genre, October 21, 2008
John D. (Old Bridge, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
An absolutely gorgeous collection of tracks from various New Age/Spacemusic artists on the Hearts of Space label, circa 1990. I first owned this on cassette back when it was released and wore the tape out :) but the dynamic range of digital audio is what this kind of music was waiting for. These pieces of music are just as beautiful today as they were back then; they have hardly dated at all.

My suggestions? The best tracks are "Highland" by Bill Douglas, the deeply moving "Disappearing into You" by Raphael, and the awesomely powerful "Arcturian Sunbird" by Steve McDonald (you can hear hints here of the celtic influence which would later become the main focus of his music) which, though slightly shortened from the album version, is still a stunning piece of music. The final track on the CD, which evokes the departure of an alien ship from earth after making contact with the human race, is also strangely moving if listened to in a certain context.
All in all you can't go wrong with this album. Even if you aren't necessarily a fan of New Age per se, give this one a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Music, February 3, 2006
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
If you like New age and space music you must own this one. The first cut written by Kevin Braheny for a planetarium is the one that THX uses at the beginning of many of its movies. It kicks butt. Buy it today!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient sounds for ancient souls, February 28, 2014
Earle H. Baldwin (Athol, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
I have listen to HOS from its birth year. I still catch it weekly. I have begun to collect offerings from the HOS label so I , of course, began with #1. What a joy. This is well produced, expertly chosen and stirring all these years later. I am humbled by the life works of the HOS crew. They have exposed music for sane moments to people who wish a sane moment. I doubt the genre would have survived this long without the gentle dramatic introductions to each show. I wish I could buy the shows on disc so as to have the words and timber of that voice. The best I can do is purchase disc that this crew has gathered for me. I am grateful. Sane music for an insane time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite, February 18, 2013
J.B. (Chicago, IL.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
If you enjoy 'space' (mood, meditative, etc.) music, this CD is sure to please, and can lead you on a journey to explore other works from these Artists.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great old New Age sampler, October 12, 2008
Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90
The "Hearts of Space 1" is one of the first New Age CDs I ever bought. The music for me is just as fresh and good to listen to as when I bought it back in the early '90s. The sampler covers the top Hearts of Space artists of the time and gives someone who might want to try New Age music an entry point to see if it might be a musical style they might enjoy. I've bought other CDs based on what I've heard on this album and not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia, February 11, 2013
This CD may not be for you, but I adore it thanks to listening to it as a child.

As a child, I always liked the music simply because it was electronic, space-y, and varied. It reminded me a lot of the Nintendo 64 songs I enjoyed so much. Each song created its own imaginary environment, and I'll certainly be listening to it in the future for inspiration.

I can't say this album will please modern connoisseurs of electronically generated music, but if you have any nostalgic ties to these songs, the album is a good thing to keep tucked away on your iPod or smartphone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better than Hearts of Space!, March 12, 2011
This review is from: Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 (Audio CD)
This is another in the growing line of Hearts of Space anthologies. If you've experienced this fabulous radio program, you are already familiar with its soothing powers. We use this CD frequently for chilling out and drifting off to sleep. It works wonders on both counts. If you are looking for a collection of this fantastic music, this belongs in it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased, July 14, 2010

Hearts of Space 1:  Universe Sampler 90
Hearts of Space 1: Universe Sampler 90 by Universe (Hearts Of Space Series) (Audio CD - 1991)