Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 26, 2010
I purchased this item to heat a small trailer. After reading all the hype the company provides I thought this would be a good alternative heat source. NOT SO. When I called the company to return the item you are put thru the hoops. Your on hold for hours at a time. Just trying to talk to someone to get the return shipping label issued. In the meantime the company takes their sweet time in issueing the UPS return. You have 30 days to return the item... or your stuck with it. This includes from the time it was sent to you from the warehouse, weekends & holidays. Then they have the nerve to charge you $50.00 for the return. This is a decorative item, not a single heat source- something they don't bother to mention anywhere. It took them 24hrs to collect my money & 6wks to get my partial refund. If there had been a rating of -0 this would have rated it
33 comments|205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2008
I bought two of these and spent almost $700 and I am VERY DISSAPOINTED with their performance. You can't even feel the heat unless you are about a foot away from the unit. I live in California where it doesn't really get that cold in the winter but I was interested in saving money on my heating bill and this thing won't even heat my bedroom. The mantle is oak plywood, not solid oak as advertised. The only good thing about them is that they look nice. The Amish are being used as a marketing tool to sell these fireplaces. All of the parts come from China and are assembled by Amish in Ohio, so don't expect good Amish craftsmanship because you won't get it with a Heat Surge Electric Fireplace.
1919 comments|335 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2010
We are living from pay to pay. Bought one of these used, BUT like new (trying to save money on exorbitant propane fees). Used it for one SPRING month. Electric bill went from about $115 to $340.

I don't know how we're going to put food on the table next week.
22 comments|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2010
The hype from Heat Surge sounds convincing but is misleading.
The heater itself is no miracle of technology. Any 1500 watt electric heater will produce the same amount of heat. It's just the fact of elctrically produced heat. The difference is how well the heat is distributed.
The heat surge has a two speed blower that forces heated air out the vents along the top of the heater. That heated air then rises to the ceiling and eventually may fill the room with heat.
I put the Heat Surge in a basement room with no door. All the heat went up the stairs and my electric bill went up $75 per month. So much for saving money!
The "Amish built" mantel looks nice, but upon close inspection your will find that the "solid wood" is plywood with a laminate or veneer covering.
The "flickering flames" are an optical illusion produced by a scrolling acetate film in front of two chandelier bulbs. The "flames" on mine frequently stop moving becuase the belt that drives the acetate film developed a flat spot.
See Consumer Reports to find musch better values on portable heaters.
For my money, I would recommend going to WalMart and buying a $25 electric heater. It won't look as nice, but you will feel just as warm, maybe warmer.
55 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2010
It's shocking to me that people would pay $350 for a heater that puts out the exact same amount of heat as a $19.95 heater available at most major retail stores. If you read the specification, the heater in the HeatSurge fireplace is a 1,500 watt quartz ceramic heater.

And guess what? My local Target has a whole section full of 1,500 quartz ceramic heaters for less than...$30 each. In fact, I bought a 1,500 watt quartz ceramic heater at Target for $19.95, and it works great! The one I bought for $19.95 works so good I bought several more for my house, one for my Mom, one for my Dad, and two for my sister, all at $19.95 each! Actually, some were on sale after Christmas for $14.95 each, and others were two for $20! Nice. And warm.
44 comments|188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2010
My wife bought one of these. We have had it for almost two years now. As soon as I took it out of the box I knew we were victims of false advertising. I grew up in Amish country, and this is not made by the Amish (well, maybe by some sort of Randy Quaid in "Kingpin", former Amish alcoholic). The case was nailed together CROOKED with a STAPLEGUN. Ever heard of an Amish craftsman using a staplegun? The electrics are obviously manufactured in Asia. When I called to complain, I was told that the "wood parts" were manufactured by Amish. She could not provide any detail, so I assume maybe they bought the boards from an Amish carpenter. Who knows. Anyway, the phone operator had authority to negotiate a partial refund. Think about that: defects and complaints are SO COMMON that a mere phone operator doesn't even have to speak to a supervisor before negotiating a price cut. If you buy one, make sure to call up and complain so you can get the REAL PRICE.
About a year later we started getting letters telling us it was time to buy new bulbs, i.e., that the bulb wears out in about 12 months. This was never disclosed in the original literature. Also, it is now making a noise when the heater is not running but the light fixture is - an annoying buzzing noise. In my opinion the Amish should hire a good lawyer and sue this company.
22 comments|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2010
Maybe the mantle is made by the Amish, but the heater is made in China and back lit by a couple of lightbulbs. I looked at one of these at my neighbors and saw a review by Consumer Reports that said you can get better heat from a $75-$80 heater; they recommended the DeLonghi. Don't get taken! The reviewer said this costs much more money to run than many simpler heaters.
11 comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2010
We bought this unit and disliked it quick. It fails to heat even the smallest of space. While I must admit it looks nice (the fake fireplace that is) it is far from being worth over $350.00 for a regular space type heater. The consumer reports site shows it isn't worth this cost as well. Oh, yea, if this is true Amish work I'm done with Amish furniture as this was clearly pre-fabicated with some molded plastic parts and even nails. We had to add another heater (a $39.00 one) to get any heat that really mattered.

When I attempted to get a return label, they gladly said we'll send one out, and of course it never came. We are still fighting and have found that others are experiencing this same problem. Save your money and don't do what we did.
on March 10, 2010
I was given the Heat Surge as a gift and was hesitant about keeping it. My family insisted that I keep it because "you can touch it and it doesn't get hot". Well, they were correct; you can touch it and it doesn't get hot- at all. It was too loud to keep in the tv room so I moved it to my office, but I found myself turning on my forced heat in addition to the Heat Surge to keep warm. If you look at the picture, the heat only comes from the top right vent, the one on the left is for looks and the one in the middle is where the control panel is hidden. The flame looks kind of cheap too. Not my style. I have a Presto heat dish (that I bought from a large warehouse-type store) that I actually have to turn down at times because it gets too hot and it was only $60; plus it's much easier to store then a portable fireplace. Lastly, when the delivery person came to pick it up, he chuckled and said, "I pick up as many of these as I deliver." Save your dollars and look into other options.
33 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2010
What a joke. My 40.00 electric heater I bought at Walmart does the same thing and it has a timer, wheels and a digital thermostat. I rarely use it as natural gas is usually cheaper. If you have any electric heater that is on all the time and uses 1000 watts then the cost is as follows:

If your electric rate is 10 cents a kilowatt hour and your heater is rated at 1000 watts (most are 750w/1500w) then it costs 10 cents per hour to operate. Additionally 10 cents x 24 hours= 2.40 per day.
Then 2.40 per day x 7 days per week = 16.80. Finally 16.80 x 4 weeks = 67.20 per month per heater cost to operate.

Most people pay closer to 15 cents per Kilowatt hour and that would make the cost to operate exceed 100.00
per month for a single heater. You need to weigh this against your monthly gas bill for your "whole" house. I run my silicone filled heater on low and it consumes around 750 watts at that setting. It is also safe to the touch. I admit it's not as pretty as the Heat Surge but it's looks good and is much smaller and wheels easily. I can buy one for every room in my house for the same cost as a single "Heat surge". As a side note my gas bill has only topped 200.00 once in 20 years. That was when the Wall Street "criminals" were artificially driving up the prices.
33 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse