4.0 out of 5 stars What a summer read should be

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summer read, but not great
Published on May 23, 2011 by Joan W. Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars What a summer read should be, June 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With over twenty books published and a name that you see in bookstores everywhere, I would have thought I would have read something by this author before - but I hadn't. When I had the opportunity to pick this up from the VINE program, I jumped at the chance since it seemed to be just the nudge I needed to finally see what made Ms. Thayer so popular. I do like summer themed books that take place on islands or coastal areas (Erin Hillenbrand is someone I have come to truly enjoy) so I was very hopeful to find another author to add to my growing list of people to read.

In this novel, our primary character is Carley Winsted, a woman in her early thirties who has just lost her young husband to a heart attack and finds herself with two young daughters to raise and no obvious means of financial support. A fairly typical "set-up" I was anxious to see what Ms. Thayer did with the story and found myself fairly pleased. I don't want to give the plot away and spoil it for you (I hate when reviewers do that), but the solution is creative and sets up additional plot lines that add interest for the reader. Carley and her daughters live on Nantucket which gives us the island/water setting so conducive to some of the best summer reads. Complicating matters is the fact her in-laws also live on Nantucket and the death of her husband has an impact on her relationship with them. Also populating this novel are Carley's two closest friends who have their own plot lines which intersect and cause additional tension.

As I was reading, I kept thinking this was a fairly linear novel --- you pretty much get what you think you are going to get without a lot of surprises. That held true until near the end when a plot twist totally caught me off guard and left me surprised. That changed the novel from an "o.k." read for me to a good read that I would recommend to people who enjoy this type of story. The writing is good (particularly the dialogue) and the characters are not all sunshine and roses. I actually was pretty irritated by one of them which is a nice change of pace from the "everyone's perfect" except for the obvious villain that is a requirement in any story.

Bottom line: I enjoyed this book enough to go back and pick up some of her earlier works and will add her to my watch list for her annual summer publication.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this heartwarming story!, May 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having been a longtime fan of Nancy Thayer, I was thrilled to have the opportunity to review the advanced copy of Heat Wave, on sale June 21, 2011. This book was filled with warmth, both in characterization and in plot. Ms. Thayer has a way of making her books real as life is for each of us.

It is a novel that explores the challenges that life brings to several different women who are friends and how they deal with those changes that are wrought by actions of loved ones. Well written, beautiful insight on human frailty as it faces and overcomes life's obstacles. I loved this book. It made me laugh, made me somewhat angry, and then made me cry. In the end it made me sigh with joy and fulfillment on behalf of one lady's courage to begin life anew.

I highly recommend to readers who love women's fiction to buy this book and fall in love with the talent of Nancy Thayer and her wonderful storytelling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summer read, but not great, May 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Nancy Thayer has the ability to bring her characters to life without getting mired down in physical and environmental details. This story is not new - husband dies, wife finds herself in financial difficulties, wife falls in love again - but what is new is the amount of life Thayer breathes into her characters, and the depth of feeling she is able to establish through her writing style.

HEAT WAVE, unfortunately, has no surprises for the reader. The end is exactly what you think it will be throughout the book. While the reader becomes attached to the characters, the lack of depth of the plot leaves a bit to be desired. The ending to the story gave me the feeling the publisher called up and said "Your deadline is next week -- can you be done?" and Thayer set to ending the story with an "Epilogue" rather than truly playing out the plot of the story.

Still, it's worth reading and particularly good for beach or deck reading this summer. Though the plot won't hold surprises, the characters will hold your interest and you'll be sad to leave them at the end of the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 19, 2011
Kimmy D (Colorado Springs, Co) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Hardcover)
The story could have been interesting if the characters were fully developed. The characters were shallow and unbelievable, with alot of 'fluff' between plot lines. The premise could have worked if the characters were relatable and showed any kind of real emotion. I lost interest about halfway through the book, and began skipping pages until the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars What Happened to the In-Laws, July 10, 2011
The Spoiler (LORAIN, OH, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Hardcover)
I have read several Nancy Thayer books and really enjoyed them all to a certain degree...why I don't know. First off, I'm an African-American, MATURE, woman, not poor, but certainly not wealthy, beautiful, caucasian, ivy league college educated nor young, as all of her protaganists seem to be. Yet I'm sucked into these Nantuckians lives as if I really know them, I don't really want to be one of them, do I and it's just playa hatin' that makes me critical of the book????? Anyhoo, I read for entertainment and not necessarily realism, however; I do have to say that one friend keeping the secret of the adulterous relationship of the other friend's husband with the third member of the "best friend" trio was a bit hard to take as entertainment, especially when the friend (I use this term loosely) having the affair still wants to be BFF's with the woman whose husband she's having the affair with. Confused???? So am I.

I'm like one of the other reviewers and wonder why the title "Heat Wave", because when the heat wave did come, it was here and gone in an instant. Reeeely, super wealthy people on Nantucket with no central air because it would cost bazillions of dollars to install, yet take off at the landing of the private planes to fly off to Boston to stay in a "posh" hotel where they do have central air, the rich are different, I suppose. Wouldn't it make more sense to install central air, but that's just a poor ladies way of thinking.

My last complaint about the book and not really a complaint, just an observation, what did happen to the inlaws, were they eaten alive in Guatamala, did they die, the epilogue neatly ties up everyone's lives except the inlaws. And oh yeah, really, one more child.....I guess because Wyatt is so magnanimous towards Carley's own two daughters and her adopted son Paul he deserves a child of his own loins. Yuk, Yuk and double yuk!!!! The young, rich and beautiful have it soooooooooo good. And another thing, young, rich, beautiful, never lost your shape and your boobs are still high and perky after two babies and you can cook run a BnB nearly single handedly and create your own mouth watering muffins and cookies, wear halter tops and look at yourself in the mirror and go WOW who is that babe. Yeah riiiiight.

I don't want to give away the end of the book, but Maud totally pissed me off....what a bitch. I'm sorry, she is and for Nancy to try to make her likeable was just a little bit off putting.

Okay, maybe I really didn't like the book, or maybe I'm getting a little weary of Nantucket and the ongoing saga of "rich people have problems too, but our looks, education, zip code, and money will take care of everything" storyline of a lot of the books out there today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beach read!, June 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
All in all, "Heat Wave" was a great summer read. I liked it much better than previous Nancy Thayer books. I think my biggest complaint about this book was that plotlines did not seem very developed.

There were lots of great storylines- opening the B&B, struggles with relationships, etc. but all of those seemed very glossed over. I think a lot more detail could have been given to the development of the B&B, even throw in a little hardship. Same thing with the friendships- an obstacle is thrown their way but after giving everyone some time to cool down all is well.

I have two other big complaints about this book. One, Thayer does not make much use of the fabulous Nantucket setting. This book could have been set in any beach community. I love reading Elin Hilderbrand's book because Nantucket is a character all its own. Here, it's just casually referenced here and there. Also, especially towards the end, sex is just kind of thrown in the book. There are corny lines like, "I'm going to give you a thank-you gift you'll never forget" when the male character has shown some parenting initiative or "he looked so sexy that Carley wanted to shove him down on the table..." that seem totally out of place with the tone of the rest of the book. Very abrupt.

This was a Vine book, so the copy I received had a very different storyline description. So different that it really threw me because I kept waiting for these awful tings to be revealed. I wonder when the author changed her mind and if that adversely affected the story I ended up reading.

All in all, grab this for the beach and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhhh meh?, June 16, 2011
Corey A. Doyle (North Canton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I selected this novel to read, the synopsis was for maybe an earlier version of this novel and it also spoiled MANY of the plotlines. Now that it has been released they have changed it to reflect the current story. However the earlier one really threw off my view of the story and I kept waiting for things to happen that didn't and I also already knew a few things that were supposed to be a big plot reveal. So much of this story was somewhat ruined for me and skewed my thoughts on the novel.

+ I really enjoyed the bones of this story. I liked also how she tied in past characters into the storyline and brought them in and out of the story. However if you haven't read the previous novel (Moon Shell Beach) it would spoil the story for you.

- I almost think that there was too much going on and it could have been pared down a bit to focus on the major dramas and eliminate some of the smaller ones.

I did enjoy reading this while I was at the beach and wish that I could go back and read it without the initial synopsis on my brain.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, One-Dimensional and Pretty Pointless, August 10, 2012
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Paperback)
This wasn't the worst book I ever read, but had I anything else on hand, I would have put it down after one chapter. The protagonist just lost her husband and is trying to figure out her path in life. For about three chapters, her 12yo daughter is slightly sassy, then quickly and miraculously everything is better. Poor child couldn't be a ballerina because she was too tall and had wide shoulders. Really. The love interest in the book is so singularly one-dimensional, you don't know why he's even in the book. We know very little about him and learn even less. The three great friends - three enchilados or tacos or something - don't know each other at all. One sleeps with the other's husband and sees NOTHING wrong with it. The widow can't bring herself to make a statement at all and the wronged wife sleeps with a few men, gets pregnant, then dies. I mean this is the story! No one seems to be invested in anyone at all. One reviewer said she didn't know whether or not the in-laws hated or loved the DIL and it's true. The poor in-laws are written into the book as complete and total idiots. Every time there is the smallest note of interest, you are left hanging. It is beyond ridiculous.

Save your money AND your time and don't read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh..., March 9, 2012
M (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Hardcover)
Heat Wave by Nancy Thayer is a book I chose, like most books from the library, at random and from mostly aesthetic expressions. I don't think I even read the inside flap. You know the old saying, don't judge a book by its cover. Well I have found that the more experienced a reader, the better you can judge books by a glance. That doesn't mean you don't have a few flops every once and a while. When I first started reading Heat Wave I thought it would be one of those flops. The writing had the characteristics of someone without much experience, although the author has 4 other titles accredited to her, and although the plot was believable, a lot of the places didn't have much explanation, and as the writer is a Nantucket native, that is to be expected. And although I would have liked to see a little more trial and error and struggle on the main characters part, the plot did take a totally unexpected turn at the end, redeeming the book slightly in my eyes. So I'd recommend it as a totally light fluffy beach read because its incredibly easy to get absorbed in. I stayed up until one in the morning finishing it. But I would not give it as a gift nor buy it because lets be honest there are far better books worth owning. So if you wish to read Heat Wave by Nancy Thayer, get it at the library.

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but she is no Elin Hilderbran, March 3, 2012
I am a BIG Elin Hilderbran fan and was looking for something that was a similar read. Plot was great, setting was good but I was still not satisfied. No one does Nantucket like Elin Hilderbran

Heat Wave: A Novel
Heat Wave: A Novel by Nancy Thayer (Hardcover - June 21, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01