4.0 out of 5 stars What a summer read should be
With over twenty books published and a name that you see in bookstores everywhere, I would have thought I would have read something by this author before - but I hadn't. When I had the opportunity to pick this up from the VINE program, I jumped at the chance since it seemed to be just the nudge I needed to finally see what made Ms. Thayer so popular. I do like summer...
Published on June 4, 2011 by Holly

3.0 out of 5 stars Good summer read, but not great
Nancy Thayer has the ability to bring her characters to life without getting mired down in physical and environmental details. This story is not new - husband dies, wife finds herself in financial difficulties, wife falls in love again - but what is new is the amount of life Thayer breathes into her characters, and the depth of feeling she is able to establish through her...
Published on May 23, 2011 by Joan W. Johnson

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Summer Read, July 29, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was sent an Advance Reading Copy of Heat Wave by Amazon Vine for review. Here's my take on it.

Carley Winstead loses her husband of thirteen years to a heart attack and then discovers that except for the house, he's left her penniless. Besides her two daughters, interfering in-laws who'd like nothing better than for Carley and the girls to move in with them, Carley has two friends in whom she confides. As her settled life begins to unravel, she must make decisions on how she's to survive and decides to turn their rambling Nantucket home into a bed and breakfast, despite opposition from her mother-in-law who feels innkeeping is not quite respectable.

Her close friends Maud and Vanessa are an enormous help in showing Carley how to live again, but when Maud forces Carley to keep a secret, it threatens to undo their relationship.

Carley's husband's best friend and law partner Wyatt shows up at unexpected times and a flummoxed Carley must tamp down feelings she's not ready to explore. As Carley develops the bed and breakfast, she discovers challenges and realizes she must take life by the horns and pursue her own goals rather than the goals her family thinks she should have.

Nantucket author Thayer has penned a moving story of a woman's coming of age-the after happily ever-and she's written a compelling tale about family and friendships and one woman's determination to have purpose in her life. The writing is strong, lyrical and touching, and will keep the reader turning pages.

My only niggle was a sense of disappointment that the story I was expecting to read differed quite a bit from the book's blurb.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Story With Many Layers, July 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Carley and Gus have been married 13 years, she stays home with their two girls in their huge Nantucket home that was Gus's mother's family home. Gus is a partner in his father's law firm. Life is good. Until one night Gus doesn't come home from the office. Carley contacts her in-laws and her father-in-law goes back to the office to find his only child dead at his desk.

This sets up a whole mass of events for Carley from dealing with her children, her in-laws and her friends, plus the financial burden she now has to manage. She moves forward for herself and her daughters in ways that are hard for Gus's parents to understand at times. She tries hard to do what she believe Gus would want her to do. Always putting her family first.

This story has so many layers, relationships, and drama. The relationship Carley has with her daughters rings true as they all come to grips with Gus's death. Add the oldest daughter becoming a teenager and all the very real things mother and daughters face are brought to the forefront.

The relationship with Gus's parents is difficult at best. At times his mother tries to undermine Carley with her girls but Carley handles it and even stands up to them both unleashing the strong character within.

The relationship with her friends troubled me at times, some of the situations seemed almost too much for the character of Carley to bear. One so extraordinary that most of us never would be able to handle and I think the author let it happen too easily.

I don't want to reveal too much but one of Carley's relationships moved too slowly, the stopping and starting, the taking in and pushing away felt overdone. I realized that by the end of the story what the author was setting up but the time taken should have been in one place instead of the other.

All this being said, Nancy Thayer is a wonderful author who writes of Nantucket in almost a poetic way. You know she loves her setting and she knows her audience. This is a fine summer read that all her fans will enjoy. Did I love it? No, but I did enjoy it. Is this her finest novel? No, but it is very good. It's all about the relationships. The story is full of flawed characters with lots of waves, the heat was there and then it was gone and everything tied up in the end in a neat little package. Just a little bit too neat.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the Amazon Vine Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

3.0 out of 5 stars Cardboard Characters, July 22, 2011
Pat Fordyce (NorthCarolina USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoy Nancy Thayer novels, but not this one. I feel like I've read novel after novel about husbands dying, widow ends up broke, friend who have secrets of their own. The summary on the back cover , pretty much tells this whole story.
I found Carley to be a little too "perfect". She has two daughters, a pre-teen going through pre-teen angst, and a five year old who is absolutely precious. She lives in an old historic house on Nantucket, near her in-laws and two best friends. Trying to find a way to maintain the expense of a very old barn of a home, she decides to open a B&B. She finds "perfect" furnishings, paint, knick knack's, linens and guests. She becomes close friends with every one.
She realizes she loved her husband, but was not really "in- love" with him. Wyatt her husbands best friend is actually one of the more enjoyable characters!!! He loves her, but removes himself from her insecurity and doubts.
I did enjoy the story, it definitely was a "beach " read and will read Nancy Thayer again.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~ Excellent Summer Read ~, July 10, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'd never read anything by Nancy Thayer before but I am happy to find out she has other books published for me to dive into next.

Heat Wave is set in Nantucket. The main character, Carley, is a warm, friendly 30-something widow and mother of two girls. The story takes you along as Carley mourns, deals with, and finally accepts her husband's death. The book has a few very sad pages, but considering her widowhood, much of the book is not sad or dreary. There are family and friends and B&B guests that you enjoy meeting. I also enjoyed reading about Nantucket year round - how winters can be, as well as the busy summers filled with tourists. I felt cozy within Carley's home and her joy of homemaking as well as her passion for creating and running her new B&B. I love this kind of relaxing, warm writing that makes me feel at home, reminding me of all the simple little pleasures of life. Sometimes that is all we have, and it helps transition us through the storms life sometimes can bring. Luckily Carley realizes what she wants now that her storm has passed, just in the nick of time.

The book may seem a bit predictable in much of the plot, but I don't consider that a negative in any story unless it's meant to be a thriller or shocker. This book is a comfortable and enjoyable place to be, spending page after page with friendly and thoughtful Carley, her dilemmas, her life on the island, as well as her family and friends. There is just enough romance and lust to perk up your attention and get you into the heat wave mood, but not so much as to get redundant or corny.

The characters make me wish for a sequel. The little taste of Nantucket entices me into wanting more. That leaves me feeling like the author did her job and did it well - she got me craving more of the same. At least I have other books by Nancy Thayer I can dig into. I am off to go see which one I want to read next. I think I've found a new favorite author!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Summer Beach Read!, June 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Last year I read Beachcombers by Nancy Thayer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was thrilled to see Nancy had a new book, Heat Wave coming out this summer. Beachcombers is a perfect summer beach read so I had a feeling that Heat Wave would also be a good summer read. Heat Wave did not disappoint!

Heat Wave takes place on Nantucket. Carley Winsted has recently become a widow at a young age. Her husband, Gus has left her with not only two girls to raise but broke! He has left her with the family home so she sets out to find a way to stay in the home that her girls have always known. She decides a Bed and Breakfast will help keep her and the girls in the home they love but also give her the chance to be at home with the girls. I admired Carley for her strength in making this decision at a time in her life when she would just like to crawl in bed and pull the covers over her head.

Carley has two extremely close friends, Vanessa and Maud who call themselves Las Tres Enchiladas. The women know everything about each other. They are the kind of friends who pop in and make themselves at home in each others homes. Carley is approached by Maud with a very disturbing secret that could change their lives drastically. At this point Maud becomes my least favorite character.

To top it all off Gus' good friend, Wyatt causes Carley to feel things she is not sure she should be feeling while grieving for Gus.

This book is about friendship, loyalty, grief and the challenges brought on by having to move on. I was very surprised at one point in the book and found myself having to stop and grab kleenex! I really was not expecting that in a summer beach read. Even though that particular event saddened me, I still enjoyed this book very much and would recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, flat, flipped through pages to "finish" it, June 24, 2013
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Paperback)
This was my first download on my new Kindle, done quickly before leaving on a trip. Waste of time, couldn't even finish it, so predictable, shallow, poorly written. The whole book equals one 30-minute episode on a weak soap opera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy read, January 23, 2013
I really liked this book. It was a fast, easy read that made me laugh and cry. I loved the characters. Really made me think about life and its direction but in a feel-good kind of way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Novel, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Paperback)
I just love Nancy Thayer's novels!
I'm one of her early fans way back in 1984 when her first book "Three Women at the Water's Edge" was published in Germany. A year or two later, "Nell" was translated into German. So I collected all of her novels in German translations.

Unfortunately since the first Hot Flash Club book none of her later books got translated into German anymore :(. So then I started collecting her books in hardcover and in English.

In October 1988 I met Nancy in person for a few hours (this was the big highlight of my first long trip to the US East Coast) and since then we wrote letters and later e-mails once in a while.

1997, 2005 and in May 2010 we met again and I was able to introduce my husband André to her the last time.
You can imagine how thrilled we were when Nancy did let us know that we are mentioned in her new novel "Heat Wave"!
On page 211 we are B & B guests (hardcover version).
My husband read "Heat Wave" and enjoyed it, too, even though he prefers thrillers.

"Heat Wave" is a lovely novel set on Nantucket (no other author can describe the island as beautifully as Nancy does!) and of course I can't wait for the next novel to be published. Her books are the only books that I pre-order in amazon.com and that I purchase new and not used.

5.0 out of 5 stars heat wave, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Hardcover)
I could not put the book down. Best novel I have read in a long time---sad at times---however you finish the book feeling good about life. A must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Thayer!!, August 1, 2011
This review is from: Heat Wave: A Novel (Hardcover)
Heat Wave is Nancy Thayer at her very best. As always she has created a set of characters who are real, warm and very likeable as they grapple with life, love and a variety of relationship problems. The main character, Carley, is the kind of woman we'd all love to have as our best friend and it's easy to empathise with her as she deals with the death of her young husband and the challenges of raising her 2 daughters alone and finding a way to support herself and the girls, Her relationship with her in-laws and her decency and integrity in her dealings with them, even when they are both difficult and critical of her decisions, is an interesting counterpoint to the loving, close relationship she has with her girlfriends. Ms Thayer's deep love for and knowledge of Nantucket is an underlying theme and the island, with all its moods and temperamental weather changes, provides an appealing background for this engaging story. It's a lovely, satisfying read with some fairly predictable outcomes as well as a few surprises. I laughed and I cried and when I finished the book I felt like I was saying goodbye to a whole new bunch of friends.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Heat Wave: A Novel
Heat Wave: A Novel by Nancy Thayer (Hardcover - June 21, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01