Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HeatTrak HR10-30 Residential Snow-Melting Stair Mat, 10 Inch by 30 Inch, 120 Volt
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 3, 2013
I had older versions of these Heattrak step warmers which are heavy rubber and I was happy with. I wanted more, but that version is no longer made. These however are flimsy and the edges curl up. They have been inside in the warm temp for 24 hours and still curl and I even had a weight on one end and it still curls. They SMELL like plastic. The old ones smelled like rubber. I am VERY unhappy about this purchase. If you could have experienced the old heavy rubber ones you would see that these new versions are crappy and cheaply made. If these don't stop curling I will have to return them. I can't secure the edges on stone steps and they are a safety hazard like this.
We bought two of the HeatTrak HR10-30 Safety Tread Mats and several HeatTrak HR20-60 Residential Snow & Ice Heated Walkway Mat, 20-Inch by 5-Foot, 120 Volt to make a snow and ice free path from my front porch to our driveway. These mats require HeatTrak HR-P Residential Snow & Ice Heated Stair Mat Control Unit With 6-Foot Power Cord (not included) to control up to fifteen of these (or a combination of both mat types). These work as hoped, but one of the two units I received was defective (replaced quickly by Amazon). Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Easy To Install; units connect easily via waterproof couplers (see picture in "Customer Images")
+ Works Well; heated up to 80+ degrees Fahrenheit within 15 minutes

Cons -
- Ends Curl; unsecured ends curl up

We had sleet the day after getting these and the units made short work of melting the ice.

Recommended!

CFH
review image review image
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2012
lat year we purchased the three step mat and found it works well on our wooden porch steps. they face northeast and have lots of ice in the winter. the mat works well so this year we added two more mats so all five steps have coverage . would definitely recommend.
on January 22, 2011
We purchased a walkway mat and 2 stair mats, which fortunately were delivered the day before a predicted snowstorm. They linked together easily and the curled-up ends flattened quickly after heating. The snowstorm arrived as predicted and the mats performed exactly as promised. 8" of snow melted without problem and the mats were able to keep up with the snowfall rate of 1-2" per hour. Safe footing on the steps and walkway to the garage make these a worthwhile expenditure!
on March 24, 2013
These mats are great, we have a 11 year old Basset houndm she was having a hard time, going down the stairs, these melt snow, and ice, we put them on all night, and it makes it great when morning comes, and she needs to go outside no making her wait, so i can shovel,, highly recommended for pet owners, what a great product,,
on February 8, 2011
I live in Cleveland and during the winter just putting a dog outside can be a problem with the snow. We bought these stair treads and a mat, it works wonderfully through all the snowstorms we have had. While we still have to shovel a bigger area for the dog,the part with the mat remains snow and ice free. No more fear of slipping on the icy steps. Pricy, and I don't know what they are costing me in electricity, but they have really solved a problem . WOuld love it if they could make one that could be driven over, to solve my icy driveway problem!
on January 24, 2015
It is so nice not to have to go shovel my porch landing off so that the screen door can open in the winter and my dogs can make it out to pee without me clearing the way. I have had my Heat Trak entrance mat for 4 months now. I got so excited about the landing mat that also bought 4 stair mats with the extra controller cord. The extension they sell is a reasonable price but I had an outdoor rated extension with a multiplugged end and this is working well. The landing mat and the stair mats are not quite the same width and there are different widths to both types so measure carefully!

We have inconsistent snow here so I keep it unplugged when there is light snow fall to keep the electric cost down. I have not noticed a real difference in my electric bill from last year. Fuel costs are different though... Even if I wake up to a couple of inches of snow on the mat, once I have plugged it in I have cleared stairs in about 20-30 minutes.

I don't know how well the mat would wear if heated constantly but for being on a total of about 2 weeks out of every month they are doing well. They handle the wear and tear of 2 x 100# dogs just fine and hose down to clean well. They do not seem to shift much on the stairs. I have friends who leave theirs out year round and are still using the mats they bought 5 years ago. My friends do not have any unusual heat blemishes on their treated wood stairs (just sun bleaching on the exposed edges that you would get with any mat). I have not had any discoloration on my Azek landing and stairs. I did not fasten the mats down. I did not have any curling problems. The mats were stiff the way cold rubber usually is coming out of a shipping box. I let them sit in the house for half a day and they warmed flat and then set down outside fine.

I have other friends who bought much more expensive mats from Front Gate. These look good too but are not holding up any better than the Heat Trak and they look about the same to me. I think the difference is the Front Gate stair mats also have some thin carpeting on top where these don't. The landing mat does have a thin carpet on top. Just enough to add tread. I don't notice the difference in surface friction on the stair mats though and I don't slip on mine at all. They have nice grip.

You do have to pay attention to the cords and controllers and which mats can be strung in sequence and which ones cannot. Generally the stair mats can tandem but the landing mats cannot. The manufacture is good at telling you which can and can't but you have to look for the info. The stair mats also can tandem to one controller, the landing mats need their own individually. When not sure, look at the Heat Trak website (they do a nice job explaining their product). I still bought from Amazon though to get the return policy certainty.
on March 22, 2011
Found these too flimsy for our outdoor stairs. Purchased the heavier-duty ones instead HeatTrak HRT11-36 Snow & Ice Heated Stair Mat, 11-Inch by 36-Inch, 120 Volt. These were much more expensive but did the job.
on January 3, 2013
Living in the Midwest, this was well worth the cost in not having to shovel the back porch and stairs for our dog to go out to do her business. So much so, that we bought more for the front steps this year. Once you buy all the necessary extras (as a minimum the 6 foot power cord, but we also needed the 20-inch cable extender and the 25 foot cable extender), they will keep your stairs snow free. We leave them plugged in once the temperatures drop below 35 degrees so that we don't have to worry about coming home from work to snow covered path (or waking up to one.)
on February 22, 2016
I have had it for two years. I haven't really had a challenging winter yet to test it but the few times there was a little ice, it worked. So in fairness, without anything to indicate a problem, I feel this product will work well whenever I get a real snowfall. However, I am disappointed with the plug design that limits connectability at a left angle. The picture of this product is not like mine, so it may have been overcome. Mine has plugs on the right side, requiring me to buy two extender cables.