4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Despite Reliability Issues
I've used 5 similar Heath-Zenith units over the last 9 years.

Too many reliability problems, but they're the only game in town, they're excellent when they work, and they have a 10 year warranty (buy local, save warranty and receipt).

Pro's:

- Effective for security and convenience
- Way more energy wise AND way more "alerting" than...
Published on January 5, 2011 by C. MacPhail

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Life....No Response at Sales or Customer Service
Published on October 31, 2007 by Gepetto

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Despite Reliability Issues, January 5, 2011
This review is from: Heath Zenith HZ-5411-WH Heavy Duty Motion Sensor Security Light (White) (Tools & Home Improvement)
I've used 5 similar Heath-Zenith units over the last 9 years.

Pro's:

- Effective for security and convenience
- Way more energy wise AND way more "alerting" than just leaving lights on
- Thoughtfully designed
- Works with Compact Fluorescent bulbs (See note 1)
- 10 year warranty
- Inexpensive

Cons:

- Reliability roulette (but 10 year warranty covers it)

Amazon pricing is usually better than Home Depot, but local purchase is better for return under warranty.

Model Comparison:

SL-5410 . SL-5411-C . SL-5412-D . SL-5718-C
--------- . . ------------ . . ------------ . . ------------
. No? . . . . . . Yes . . . . . . Yes . . . . . . . Yes . . . . . CFL bulbs
. 2yr . . . . . . 10yr . . . . . . 10yr . . . . . . 10yr . . . . . Warranty
. 110 . . . . . . 150 . . . . . . 180 . . . . . . . 270 . . . . . Degrees Coverage
. 60ft . . . . . . 70ft . . . . . . 70ft . . . . . . 100ft . . . . Range

Note 1: SL-5411-C works with CFL bulbs (get it at Home Depot or anyplace with fresh inventory); older stock (SL-5411-B) doesn't, according to the manual.

2.0 out of 5 stars Short Life....No Response at Sales or Customer Service, October 31, 2007
Gepetto (Mendota Heights, MN) - See all my reviews
Product works well initially but beware of product life LESS THAN the 10-year warranty. I have 7 on my home. The motion sensor has now failed on two of them. I called the 800 number at Desa and chose "Sales". No answer after 25 rings. I then tried "Tech Support". Put on hold for 20 minutes with music....never got through....I just gave up. Suggest you find another supplier. Maybe they are all poor products.

4.0 out of 5 stars For a $20 security light, I've got no complaints, August 22, 2013
It's a twenty dollar light. You're looking at it because it's the cheapest one on amazon, and you just want something that will *probably* work. This is it. Once you have an electric box ready, you attach a metal piece to that, and then screw this into it, just like every other mass-produced light on the planet.

It's got modes for test, 1 minute, 5 minutes, and 20 minutes. There's another knob that lets you adjust the range of motion you want it to pick up on. Fiddle with this if the lights are coming on too frequently or too late/not at all. The knobs that you use to position and lock the lights/sensor into place aren't great, but... twenty dollar light.

One thing to note is that the bulbs do not have a hood at all, which I suppose leaves the bulbs more exposed to the elements or susceptible to damage. The light might have cost another fifty cents if it had light covers, and then you might not be considering this light, which has the primary feature of being twenty dollars.

All in all, it installed quickly and does its job. I hope it does its job for a number of years before ultimately becoming stuck in either the "on" or "off" position, at which time, I will think about replacing it with something nicer, but ultimately wind up replacing it with another ~$20 light.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job for the price, November 5, 2012
DasBier (Rural Virginia) - See all my reviews
Three years ago, I moved into a newly built house which had three Cooper flood sensor lights installed such as this Heath Zenith type. All of them quit working this year (after 3 years of use), they would come on intermittently or not at all (even jumping up and down and waving right in front of the sensor) and the plastic on the sensor had become cracked from the elements.

So instead of going to a big-box store where similar models cost around $20-$40, I got these for a little less on amazon and seem of comparable quality. They also feel pretty cheap (metal body but thin plastic housing on the sensor lens) and I don't expect them to last much longer, but the models with a 10 year warranty cost upwards of $100 (you can find them on here). So, in short, you get what you pay for. These work fine and I rather spend my money on something more exciting, but I did not want broken lights either and come home in the dark and they add a layer of security.

These were a bit of a pain to install as there are a bunch of wires that make up the lamp controls that stick out the back that make finagling them all into the wire box on the house a challenge, as is getting the small included rubber gasket to align with the rim of the lamp base where it meets the wall because of all the wires in the way. You would think the internal wires would be more effectively tied or put behind a separate cover. But, the Cooper lamps on my house I pulled off were the same. I went ahead and sealed the rim with silicone as recommended, as I couldn't get the little rubber gaskets to align 100% to make a good seal.

These lights have been up about 3 months now and work as expected. No more waving and jumping up and down for them to come on, the driveway lights up brightly when I pull up or step out to toss something in the trash barrel. They still come on on windy nights, especially now heading into winter. Still better than the old ones that would stay on for hours on end, but with the old ones this phenomenon got worse as the units aged, so I wouldn't be surprised if these start staying on longer, too at some point.

All in all, your average made-in-china cheap disposable product. They work better than the old ones (for now), so 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 31, 2013
A2Z (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
I have tried these motion lights from cheap to expensive price points. I think the best strategy is to get the cheapest one possible as they all seem to last as long. Sending back for warranty is a pain. Easier for me to just replace every few years. I bought two and they are both working well out of the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warranty is 2 years, not 10 years. Perhaps was shipped wrong model?, July 27, 2014
I purchased this model (Heath Zenith SL-5411) because of the 10-year warranty as described in page top copy by Amazon, along with the several reviewers mentioning 10-year warranty.

I had purchased similar from Amazon less than 1 year ago and the motion sensor has already died, so the 10-year warranty plus name of "Heavy Duty Motion Sensor" sounded like a replacement model with vastly improved motion sensor.

Once the product arrived, the booklet however states a limited 2-year warranty!

In returning to the product page, I see that the Amazon description is contradictory - it mentions 10-year warranty at page top copy, but 2-year warranty further down in details table.

I'm a loyal Amazon shopper and fan and I don't fault Amazon --however, this discrepancy should be fixed.

Actually, perhaps I was shipped the wrong model? Shipped was SL-5411-WH-C. Perhaps this model with added "C" is not the same product as advertised on this page?

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and Cost effective, April 17, 2014
Easy installation. Motion range is very wide. It sees everything within 25 feet. Had to turn down the sensitivity or the waving flag set it off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable cheap alternative!, December 8, 2014
I have had a similar product that I had purchased from a local big chain store about a decade ago which finally stopped working. I started researching on this product and wanted to get something very similar so that I do not have to make additional holes or mounting needs to install the new security light. This Heath Zenith looked just like the old one that failed so I opted for this purchase. After receiving this product from Amazon I immediately noticed that the product is little bit cheaply built when compared to the old one that died after a decade of use. This so called Heavy Duty Motion Sensor security light worked OK right out of the box but in reality is not really very heavy duty since the product construction is so and so. There are several plastic components which I doubt will last the weather elements. I am rating this with 4 stars since the price is right and while the product worked I do not feel that it will last very long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement security lights, mostly., November 24, 2014
Husband ust replaced 3 outside lights with these. Easy to install. solid feel metal base unit, though sensor is plastic. 2 of three had sensor adjusted right within minutes and very happy. Only 4 stars because the last one with the longer sensor area needed (about 40 feet) is still fickle. At about 1/2 sensor adjustment it only catches the motion about half the time, but any higher sensitivity and it pretty much just stayes on constantly because it senses motion about every minute with nothing in the field of view. On time for all three in the 1 minute mode is more like 100 seconds, but 5 min mode seemed about right. Light sensor for night only and manual (switched on by cycling the light switch in the house) work good as well. For the money and with a 2 year warranty these are a good buy!

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., November 25, 2014
This POS pisses me off. It works. 50% of the time. Sometimes the motion never shuts off. I think there is a correlation with temperature...the colder it gets, the less reliable the shut off time.

I wouldn't give half a rats posterior, but the light illuminates my driveway, which goes behind my house and next to my neighbor's bedroom window. I feel like a big stinky B-Hole when the light doesn't shut off, I find it at 11pm, and have to go outside with an oven mit to unscrew the bulbs as there isn't a direct shut off.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. But I think this falls under "you get what you pay for."

My settings are on low range, and 1 minute duration, just enough time for me to get out of the car and to the backdoor.

Heath Zenith HZ-5411-WH Heavy Duty Motion Sensor Security Light (White)
$21.99 $19.97
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.