5.0 out of 5 stars Great outdoor motion sensor light
Published on February 17, 2008 by P. March

1.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Defects - Induction Defect - Solution Product
Published on December 12, 2010 by jdcwestlake

1.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Defects - Induction Defect - Solution Product, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Heath Zenith SL-5512-BZ 300-Watt Quartz Halogen Motion-Sensing Twin Security Light, Bronze (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought 4 of these and 2 single 250w, all with motions detectors; the dual 150ws had the "dual bright" feature. I installed them and the ones over my garage go on and stay on all night. If you download the instructions and look over all the Q & A, there is a hidden defect not mentioned in the instructions. its called induction. Its available on the Heath web site, but only after searching quite a bit. Only there does it explain that if you have any compact florescent lights; regular forescent lights; a garade door opener; anything with a motor; anything with a coil; these lights do not work; will go on and stay on all night. I had an electrician install these pull the power, put in boxes, etc. at substantial cost; now I find they are just consuming power (a lot) and not turning on and off with movement. So, I have had to turn them off. Again, this defect is not mentioned on the box or in the insturctions. They let you get about $300 of work done to get frustrated; then discover the "problem" on their web site; but there is no solution. The only solution is to pull power from a circuit without any florescent lights; motors; coils; etc. sure wish I knew this before I had the electricians out twice. With CFLs all the rage; unless you create a new circuit, you are very likely to have a florescent or coil or somthing else in your circuit. So, buyer beware. Keep your receipt and return them. I'm now on a search for lights without the secret induction flaw. Update several months later. I've tired to get some solution other than having these replaced by an electirican through contacting Heath Zenith but I get no response. Anyone finding similar lights without an induction problem, please post names or models so that others can see solutions also. I am still looking. I have now had them replaced with a different model from the same company. I will post that model. It does not have the dual bright feature that appears to cause these lights to be sensitive to the induction problem. What I also like about the new ones is that they take regular screw in light bulbs and I have put LEDs flood or spot lights in them and they work fine. The original model also was a problem because the 250 or 150 watt bulbs were very small and you had to get up on a ladder with a screwdriver to open the bulb protecting fixture and carefully remove and replace the old bulbs. With the new model I use one of those big yellow sticks on which I can insert the flood light and can change the bulbs (some do not have the LEDs) easily without having to get up as high or use a screwdriver. The replacement model I bought is Heath Zenith SL-5412-BZ-D 300-Watt Motion-Sensing Twin Security Light, Bronze. The only difference is the 5412 vs 5512 in the model but you will see when you click on the image it takes the standard spot and flood lights and not the hard to install quartz bulbs. This other model is less expensive under $30. The Rabs mentioned in the comments to my comment are over $100 and look like exceptional lights if you need even more protection from other interference but these other ones have worked fine so far for me. However I am stuck with the prior ones which are sitting in a heap in my garage.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Absolute Worst----READ MY WARNING, November 3, 2011
When I moved into my house, there was a Rab motion sensing light already installed above the garage. It must have been up for many years, and only lasted a few years more after I took occupancy. I purchased model SWL 5512 of the Heath Zenith line in Home Depot. They don't carry Rab, or, at least, I did not find any at that time. I guess that was about 2006. I kept the instruction booklet, so I am quite certain of the model number. Last month, the sensor defaulted so I bought the exact same model number, again at Home Depot. I ultimately learned that what I previously bought in 2006 was the older model SS 5512. What an electrician installed now was the same model---only, I came to learn, was before the intelligentsia at Heath Zenith "improved" it with some ridiculous DualBrite garbage feature.

Well, as so many, many here have said, it did not illuminate after dark. It detected motion by flicking red, but the flood/laser lights did not illuminate. Back comes the electrician. Nothing wrong with the circuit, the switch---must be the light. I returned it---got the same model---same thing happened. It would not light up after dark. I called the company.

I learned that this new and improved (!) model needs it own circuit, independent of anything else, and that there were many, many complaints about it. Just like the many complaints here. It will never light up if it is sharing any kind of fuse, circuit with anything else. Unbelievable! The somewhat vexed representative/technician told me to send back the SL 5512 and he would send me model SL 5514, the same light in all aspects, but without the ridiculous, inane DualBrite feature.

Back comes the electrician. Of course, I had to pay again. The SS 5514 was installed. It worked. It detects motion after dark. Just what I want it to do--nothing more, nothing less. I am not going to bother writing a review of the SL 5514, but it's fine.

So, be warned. Do NOT buy a Heath Zenith SL 5512 motion sensing light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great outdoor motion sensor light, February 17, 2008
Purchased this item to replace another motion sensor light that had become less effective. Previous light turned on at slightest hint of breeze moving adjacent bushes and no amount of adjusting would correct. Replacing with this light took about 5 minutes and product has worked perfectly. I love the low power setting. I leave that on for a few hours after dusk. Motion sensor can be aimed for close or far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heath Zenith 300 Watt Motion Light, January 17, 2010
I bought this light to replace a previous light that was prone to false alarms. I picked this particular light because I had good luck with a similar Heath Zenith light which only had a 180 degree field of view. It works as advertised, and since it was installed about a month ago, it has never illuminated when there wasn't something in its field. The sensitivity control works better than any similar light I have owned (and I currently have 7 other similar lights). I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great outdoor lights!, June 24, 2008
We had other lights but these are the best. They are dim until activated by motion - then they are powerful. An unexpected bonus is insects are not attracted to them (I quess it's because of the halogen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, February 5, 2011
Pen (Hometown USA) - See all my reviews
This light has a lot of potential, but misses by a long shot because of a very serious design flaw. The light will misbehave and eventually fail if it is installed on any circuit that has a device containing a coil. Such devices would include fluorescent lights (including CFLs), motors (like a ceiling fan), battery charger, transformer, and, most importantly, a GFCI. Since any outdoor circuit should be protected by a GFCI, the light is basically useless.

This is a shame because otherwise it is a nice light. It produces a very even light distribution, it is very sensitive to movement and the dual light intensity setting is very convenient.

I installed my light on a circuit that also had a GFCI protected outlet, and the light continuously malfunctioned. When I removed the GFCI from the circuit the light performed as advertised. Unfortunately, I need the GFCI on that circuit and every circuit in my home has at least one coil containing device. I imagine that other homes will suffer the same consequences eventually, given the U.S. proposed ban on incandescent bulbs.

I contacted the manufacturer and they were very forthright about the problem and indicated to me that there is no "fix" available other than to install the light on an "incandescent only" circuit. This flaw is apparently only associated with lights that have the "dual intensity" or the "bulb saver" features. Their traditional motion detecting lights aren't effected.

So sadly, I'll be returning it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energy saving lights, December 12, 2008
This light is terrific. It uses a separate light switch, not included, to power off and on when you have it set to come on at dark and off at dusk. This is a great feature because it stays on dim and gets bright when it senses motion. This provides constant security through the night, and an added scare tactic when someone decides to get close to the house. I love it and recommend it to all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thanks To The Other Reviews Here, October 23, 2011
Most specifically, thanks go to jdcwestlake. His review saved me a lot of aggravation. I can only imagine the frustration of installing this light (normally a pretty a simple task), only to find out that it would never turn off.

I have a ceiling fan on the same circuit as the outdoor light switch. Jdcwestlake's (and others) pain is our gain. I had already ordered this before I read the reviews thoroughly, so I returned it before I opened it and I purchased the "Heath Zenith SL-4132-MW Bayside Mission Style 150-Degree Motion Sensing Decorative Security Light". These are your basic outdoor wall lights (not flood lights), made by the same company. I installed them and they work great.

The one feature I like a lot about the lights made by Heath Zenith is the override switch. By hitting the wall switch off and on, the light stays on all night and resets itself the next day. And Heath Zenith has tons of lights available that do this.

The reason that THIS light will not work with a ceiling fan (or many other items that are on the same circuit like CFL, or coiled motors) is that the light has two power levels. Most lights do not have this feature.

So, you can pretty much buy any other light and not have the problem associated with this light. And after intensive research on their website, I was finally able to confirm everything jdcwestlake said. That's one of the great things about Amazon, customers sharing their reviews and feedback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, great support, April 19, 2010
R. Bennatti (Orland, ME USA) - See all my reviews
I own two of these....both work well and are not "fooled" by snow and rain....what is exemplary however is the customer support of the Heath Zenith company...if there is any question or concern about the operation and/or set-up they quickly get back to you with advice and solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars As described., October 9, 2008
Gilbert Pfaff (Pevely, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
The light fixture was easy to install and set up. It has been performing very well for a month now.

Rate and Discover Movies