4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, self triggers occasionally
Published on November 7, 2010 by Schmaker

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but only worked for ~5 weeks
Short story: This light only worked for 5 weeks and now it will not shut off at all- day or night. I double checked and it is not on test setting, but the light never shuts off, even in the middle of the day.
Published on December 14, 2010 by Tony

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but only worked for ~5 weeks, December 14, 2010
Tony (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heath Zenith SL-5798-WH-A 270-Degree Triple Head Halogen Motion Sensing Security Light, White (Tools & Home Improvement)
Full story: I actually purchased this light at a local big-box store, but I had to write a review after reading others and experiencing the same thing! I purchased a house a couple years ago that is currently 8 years old. The house had a double headed spotlight at the corner where the driveway comes up to the house. The motion sensor to the light became very intermitent and only worked sometimes. I would walk the trash can down the driveway and the light would neveer come on, then I would turn around and return to the house and it would come on. I decided to replace the unit with a new one so I would have a reliable and more consistent working light. I chose & installed the SL-5798 triple head unit. Then I noticed that the light fixture I replaced was a Heath Zenith also. So it had only worked for 7-8 years before becomind defective and only working some of the time. The new unit worked well and I adjusted the angle and sensitivity so it would come on as desired. The light functioned properly for ~5 weeks until I noticed it not shutting off one night. I cycled the light thinking I had flipped the switch on, off and on to turn the light on manually. Even after leaving the light off for 5 min. and turning it back on once, the light stays on constantly. I tried adjusting the lights further from the sensor per the HZ website's suggestion. I tried setting the sensitivyt down, turning it to test and then back to soft on mode... nothing works! The light just stays on. So now I have to turn it on and off manually. I'm having trouble locating my receipt or I would return the light!
I would recommend you DO NOT BUY THIS LIGHT... or any Heath Zenight product. I have owned 2 now- one failed in < 8 years and the other failed in ~5 weeks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, self triggers occasionally, November 7, 2010
I've had this light installed on the side of my garage for about a year and a half now. It lights both mine & my neighbors walks that lead from the front to the back yard. The only problem I have is that since I have both the lights & the sensor pointed almost straight down to avoid lighting the neighbors deck it sometimes self triggers due to the lights being so close to the sensor. It seems to be worse on cool spring & fall nights. The three 100W bulbs are extremely bright & I'm looking at reducing to 50W bulbs which might help the self triggering also. The sensor detects movement of heat, not a motion detector, so bushes etc. blowing in the wind do not trigger it unless the bush is on fire ...:)

2.0 out of 5 stars still works after a year but need improvement, December 6, 2009
Manny (San jose,CA) - See all my reviews
i still have this product installed and it's been working for almost a year now. Here are the pros and cons:
Pros
- dual lighting mode dims after a preset amount of time when no motion is detected
- pretty bright and covers a wide area

Cons
- sensor detects all kinds of motion (it was basically on for hours when we had nights with strong winds , very annoying)
- the product consumes 300W of power during full lighting -not very energy efficient
- bulb fixture is fixed- will need special order bulbs to replace ( you just can't replace the bulbs with energy efficient flood light cfl)

My biggest gripe is the product consumes too much power, however it's really bright and covers a wide area.

update may 25, 2010

light just constantly on now sucking up lots of power plus one of the bulb is dead I don't think theres replacement for bulb and its really is getting annoying

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst light ever!, November 8, 2009
These lights are horrible. Unfortunately I purchased this after I read a slew of bad reviews about these online, and most of the negative reviews are correct. This model seems to have some sensor problems that the manufacturer has not corrected, so the lights will stay on constantly. We had these installed and the bulbs blew out within three months. Also, for the first month the lights stayed on constantly at night, around the second month they would suddenly turn off in the middle of the night even if we walked under it, it would stay off so I'm not sure if the motion detector was functioning properly. All in all, would not purchase again and will be replacing this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic light with a great motion sensor, January 11, 2011
M. Bass (Annandale, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a cheaper one which broke, and couldn't be happier. The lights are very bright, and are relatively easy to adjust. I installed it myself with no problem, and the motion sensor is fantastic. I've had it for over a year now with now problems. I would definitely recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the concept of this unit, but..............., March 20, 2012
I purchased 3 of these lights. My only complaint is trying to find replacement bulbs for them. The fixtures cover a rather large area therefore it does detect all sorts of movement.

I have mine installed rather high. It took some time to adjust the sensors. I have NOT had the problem with them coming on and staying on. I have my set for dusk til dawn with them getting brighter when detecting motion. I think placement of the motion sensor is the key.

However, my main complaint is the bulbs did not last long enough for me. I put my fixtures up at different times. The last fixture I put up about a year from the first and it blew the first bulb. The second fixture I put up 10 month after the first and it blew a bulb second. The last fixture gets turned on the least because it is in the very back of my house which is not used. My very first fixture bulbs lasted the longest. It blew one bulb after a year. The second fixture blew all the bulbs before a years time. My first fixture now has gone completely out and it lasted about one and half years.

I cannot find replacement bulbs, therefore I have replaced two fixture with dusk til dawn 2 head fixtures without motion detection using 23w=90w par38 bulbs and I am happy. I ordered my fixtures off of Amazon for about $11 bucks each. I wish had done that before I spent $79 x 3.

I loved the concept of the fixtures and if I can ever find the replacement bulbs, because I have about 3 acres of land cleared before reaching any tree and I still have the fixtures, I would have them reinstalled on poles pointing towards my house. I am in the deep country and get a lot of deers and once in a while a bear. In all fairness, maybe my bulbs did not last long because of my settings to have it brighten once it detected motions. I am sure it detected plenty of deers because the tracks are many in my rather large yard. To further be honest, since I have replaced 2 of the fixtures on the house, if I had to do it again, I would not buy the fixtures again because of the headache. The less expensive ones make me just a happy if not happier.

1.0 out of 5 stars JUNK, December 12, 2013
Already burnt out two bulbs in six days, Light stays on no matter what adjustment I make and the compaines manual & customer service line never answers to talk to a live person. JUNK, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, poor performance, May 13, 2011
Our experience mirrors that of the first review written in this chain. There is no way to successfully set either the motion detector or the light timing that works to advantage. The lights come on all the time and then stay on all night long. My wife and I have spent countless hours trying to adjust either the direction of the sensor, the timing and mode of the lights, or both. Nothing works. It is an interesting design but worthless in practice. Our electric bills have shot up as a result. Needless to say, we are taking it down, taking it back, and buying another brand since we, too, went to the HZ website, pulled down the troubleshooting and setup instructions, only to find the problem can not be solved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good light, takes time to adjust it., December 31, 2010
R. A. da Silva (Point Richmond, CA) - See all my reviews
This is a very good light and I think the bad reviews are unfair. This is a 300-watt security light with a 270-degree motion sensor, and up to 100-feet of detection range. It is bright, it consumes a lot of power - and yes, it goes on constantly because the angle is so wide. So it does exactly what is supposed to do - anything moves and the light is on. It takes a lot of patience to adjust the sensor but it was worth it for me. I think most people will be better off using a 180-degree angle sensor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Requirres 7-inch gangbox face plate adapter., March 24, 2014
Alex "Alex" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Works fine so far. I have had for over a year and have not had to replace any bulbs yet. bulbs maybe hard to find as they are halogen bulbs and get very hot. light fixture gets very hot when turned on. light sensor and motion detector is a little flaky so you will probably need to adjust it several time before you get it just right. Motion detector is very sensitive. Sensor Range is good and wide.

Hire an electrician to mount these for you if you do not understand how to do electrical wiring. These are designed mounted flush on wall. If you plan to installing these on a new exterior electrical outlet boxes here is what you will need.

1) Weatherproof Electrical box ( http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Electric-143854-75WH-4-Inch-Round/dp/B00C3YD7EM/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1395776621&sr=8-9&keywords=weatherproof+round+electrical+box ).

2) Romex wire - 14-2 gauge. ( http://www.amazon.com/SouthWire-Company-13054221-Wire-25-Foot/dp/B000W4EWEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395777631&sr=8-1&keywords=romex+14+2 ).

3) This light has a 7-inch base. So you will need a 7-inch base face plate adapter so you can mount this light fixture onto the 5-inch round electrical box.
I found one at "Home Depot". It is a plastic exterior wood siding electrical box cover/adapter. It is big enough so you can mount the 7-inch round electrical light fixture.
( http://www.amazon.com/Arlington-8141-1-Vertical-Siding-Mounting/dp/B002W6ZOCO ).

4) You may also need some EMT metal 1/2 inch electrical conduit with fittings.

This light fixture is inexpensive but it is allot of work to install and all the other parts you will need to install this light fixture costs money.

The problem is that this light fixture has a 7-inch round base so you will need to buy the " Arlington 8141-1 Vertical Siding Lamp Mounting Kit".

It was allot of money and time finding and getting all the parts needed to install this light fixture.

If you want to save some money then don't buy this light fixture and find a different light fixture with a 5-inch round base which you can mount directly
onto the 5-inch round electrical gang box, Of which there are many.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›