Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio Cassette|Change
Price:$13.99+ $3.99 shipping

on May 27, 2005
This is a groundbreaking album to me. I have never been much of a fan of Contemporary Christian/Christian Rock/Christian Pop music-I've always thought that it was too cheesy and I didn't find it to match its message. (I always found traditional Gospel to have a more holy sound personally-it was a sound that I could identify more with. That's not to say that Christian Rock and similar genres have something wrong with them.) In fact, some time ago I listened to a couple of the songs on this album and didn't care for it back then. But last fall, something compelled me to pick up my mom's copy of the cassette and give it another try. I'm not sure what the cause was, but I do believe that whatever it was was of Divine origin. I enjoy the "Heaven" album (and lots of other Gospel music) like I enjoy almost no other music. It simply is like nothing that I've really heard before.

The album is very pop-there isn't much in the way of choirs or organs like in traditional Gospel music. That could be part of why I like it so much. I've always loved the music of the 1980's that was a little off-beat, a little underground. On top of the synthesized sounds are touching lyrics, sensitive vocals, and a heartfelt message of Christian love and devotion.

The album spawned four singles-"Heaven," "Celebrate New Life," "Lost Without You," and "Meantime." The title track has a sort of an ethereal "quiet storm" sound, with an alternately major and minor key. "Heavenly" percussion and synthesizers permeate the song. "Celebrate New Life" features Whitney Houston strongly in the background, with everyone singing sounding like they're having a lot of fun. I always find the song to be very sunny and energizing. "Lost Without You" is a mid-tempo ballad featuring electric pianos and once again lots of synthesizers. It sounds like it could have easily been recorded by the likes of Atlantic Starr, but this has a more holy Gospel touch to it. "Meantime" is a gentle and longing ballad for the Afterlife, as BeBe soulfully sings that he'll "keep on loving" God his whole life through.

The rest of the album isn't any weaker than the singles. "You" is a taste of the New-Jack Swing music style that was becoming popular around the time this album was released (late 1988), and proclaims that God is the answer to all the trouble in life. "Hold Up The Light," with an explosive performance by Whitney Houston as well as BeBe and CeCe, is memorable also. "Trust Him" is a mid-tempo, uplifting song in the style of 1980's music-lots of percussion, synths, and good background vocals.

The album contains a quality that many albums and songs don't for me-the ability to make me want to cry. Therefore I don't listen to some of these songs nearly as much as I listen to the rest. Ironically, "Don't Cry" to me sounds heartbreaking, as does the cover of the Simon and Garfunkel classic "Bridge Over Troubled Water." The latter sounds like the duo are literally singing from Heaven, making for an ethereal experience. "Wanna Be More" is a piano-driven ballad written by BeBe that also has an uplifting message, but comes across as quite melancholy. I'm not taking away from these songs, but rather showing what an emotional impact they have.

Not everyone is going to like "Heaven"-in terms of Gospel music it's very non-traditional. But something about this album grabbed me (The Spirit of God?), and now I own almost all of BeBe and CeCe Winans' discography. I've always loved R&B music from the 1980's, and have been a Christian for a while now, and this is one of the first instances where the two matched greatly for me. (And that's not to say that the R&B music I listened to before I loved this album was dirty or sinful.) It's the dawning of a new love in my life and liking for music, and I'm sure that it will touch someone out there, too.
on March 30, 2001
Although I am only 14 years old, this album, Heaven, has become one of my favorite cd's. My father bought this cd about 10 years ago and I have loved it since he first played it. If you want a gospel cd that is classic and inspirational, I reccomend this one.
on June 13, 2014
Hold up.the light,the meaning of the song and Whitney Houston vocals with this powerful duo makes this song stand out on a already talented cd! Amiss Whitney's personal life her voice is so powerful and encourging for all of us to avoid being friends with harmful subatances that will harm us!Lost without you and You are also terrffic tracks.Plz get this cd its so inspirational and hold up the light 4 our angel,Whitney Houston!
on May 2, 2014
Released in 1989, "Heaven" was one of the most commercially successful inspirational music CDs ever made. Granted, this is NOT Gospel music in the traditional sense but songs like "Heaven", "Lost Without You", "Hold Up The Light" and "Don't Cry" can literally get you "up" even on "down" days because of their sheer beauty and uplifting messages. This is a timeless album that truly deserved every bit of its success. Enjoy!
on September 11, 2013
this album is amazing. I love 80s music and 80s rnb is great cause of the mixture of soul and electronic production. To say the synth work dates this album is an INJUSTICE. the production makes it timeless. It's the production and vocals that make this a truly special work. The fact that it's a gospel work and keeps it's level of crossover appeal is a sign of the quality of producer and artists to have a message delivered in a way to be accepted and enjoyed by a wider audience. If you love scritti politti you will think they did the production to this album, though I don't know if a scritti politti fan will find themselves at this review!
It seems as though fans of urban contemporary gospel think that Mr. Franklin was the first to have success on both the gospel and pop charts. Back in the 60's and 70's, Edwin Hawkins and Andrae Crouch scored big with songs that appealed to a wide audience.
In the late 80's and early 90's no one was larger on the gospel charts than the Winans siblings. BeBe and CeCe's music was a blend of religious ambiguity that allowed it to be seen as both secular and sacred. Some may have had issues with that melding but it worked for the pair and brought them legions of fans.
1988's "Heaven" showcased the two with such memorable and inspiring tunes as the title cut, "Celebrate New Life", "Hold Up the Light" (with guest Whitney Houston)" and a jaw-dropping rendition of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" that puts the original to shame.
This is one album that supplies enough spiritual "food" to satisfy any "hunger".
on December 31, 2000
I bought this CD a few weeks ago, after searching for the artists on the Amazon site over a period of time. I remembered the song "Heaven" from the '80's and I was tirsty for the richness of their voice and the feeling that song brought to me. I can not explain it in words the feeling I get when listening to them. This song brings a feeling of His power and of the ever lasting life, without all the attachments that other gospel songs have. For me, it works very well. Perhaps others who are very spiritual, may feel this is not really gospel. In any even, I love this CD and thank God for bringing us the brother and sister who created it. The only reason I did not give this a five star is the other songs are not quite the same as this, though they give us another Heaven at the end! Lots of love to you all!
on October 7, 2012
the cd was just wonderful. i actually purchased as a gift and when i got a chance to listen to it i realized why the person requested it. i highly ercommend it to everyone that appreciates GOOD music.
on March 23, 2013
I am absolutely thrilled with my new CD, although I believed I purchased it 'used-like new' or something. The quality is great, so it's like it is brand new. I love BeBe and CeCe tremendously, and I am an avid listener, especially while driving in my car. I just love
them both singing together. I love all their music, even when they sing individually...they don't disappoint. Thank you for a great quality CD. I would definitely recommend to all.
on February 6, 2012
I love this album! A far as I'm concerned, this is the best album BeBe & CeCe have put out together. Even thou it's from the 80's, it'll never be too old for me! I only ordered it again because I gave my other copy away. You'll definitely enjoy it and will be blessed listening to this album.