4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike anything I've heard before
Published on May 27, 2005 by Sunny Maudlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music
I would recommend this to anyone who likes gospel music. Sound quality was good, easy listening, would make a nice gift
Published on June 14, 2012 by loneranger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike anything I've heard before, May 27, 2005
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
This is a groundbreaking album to me. I have never been much of a fan of Contemporary Christian/Christian Rock/Christian Pop music-I've always thought that it was too cheesy and I didn't find it to match its message. (I always found traditional Gospel to have a more holy sound personally-it was a sound that I could identify more with. That's not to say that Christian Rock and similar genres have something wrong with them.) In fact, some time ago I listened to a couple of the songs on this album and didn't care for it back then. But last fall, something compelled me to pick up my mom's copy of the cassette and give it another try. I'm not sure what the cause was, but I do believe that whatever it was was of Divine origin. I enjoy the "Heaven" album (and lots of other Gospel music) like I enjoy almost no other music. It simply is like nothing that I've really heard before.

The album is very pop-there isn't much in the way of choirs or organs like in traditional Gospel music. That could be part of why I like it so much. I've always loved the music of the 1980's that was a little off-beat, a little underground. On top of the synthesized sounds are touching lyrics, sensitive vocals, and a heartfelt message of Christian love and devotion.

The album spawned four singles-"Heaven," "Celebrate New Life," "Lost Without You," and "Meantime." The title track has a sort of an ethereal "quiet storm" sound, with an alternately major and minor key. "Heavenly" percussion and synthesizers permeate the song. "Celebrate New Life" features Whitney Houston strongly in the background, with everyone singing sounding like they're having a lot of fun. I always find the song to be very sunny and energizing. "Lost Without You" is a mid-tempo ballad featuring electric pianos and once again lots of synthesizers. It sounds like it could have easily been recorded by the likes of Atlantic Starr, but this has a more holy Gospel touch to it. "Meantime" is a gentle and longing ballad for the Afterlife, as BeBe soulfully sings that he'll "keep on loving" God his whole life through.

The rest of the album isn't any weaker than the singles. "You" is a taste of the New-Jack Swing music style that was becoming popular around the time this album was released (late 1988), and proclaims that God is the answer to all the trouble in life. "Hold Up The Light," with an explosive performance by Whitney Houston as well as BeBe and CeCe, is memorable also. "Trust Him" is a mid-tempo, uplifting song in the style of 1980's music-lots of percussion, synths, and good background vocals.

The album contains a quality that many albums and songs don't for me-the ability to make me want to cry. Therefore I don't listen to some of these songs nearly as much as I listen to the rest. Ironically, "Don't Cry" to me sounds heartbreaking, as does the cover of the Simon and Garfunkel classic "Bridge Over Troubled Water." The latter sounds like the duo are literally singing from Heaven, making for an ethereal experience. "Wanna Be More" is a piano-driven ballad written by BeBe that also has an uplifting message, but comes across as quite melancholy. I'm not taking away from these songs, but rather showing what an emotional impact they have.

Not everyone is going to like "Heaven"-in terms of Gospel music it's very non-traditional. But something about this album grabbed me (The Spirit of God?), and now I own almost all of BeBe and CeCe Winans' discography. I've always loved R&B music from the 1980's, and have been a Christian for a while now, and this is one of the first instances where the two matched greatly for me. (And that's not to say that the R&B music I listened to before I loved this album was dirty or sinful.) It's the dawning of a new love in my life and liking for music, and I'm sure that it will touch someone out there, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars His presence is felt, December 31, 2000
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
I bought this CD a few weeks ago, after searching for the artists on the Amazon site over a period of time. I remembered the song "Heaven" from the '80's and I was tirsty for the richness of their voice and the feeling that song brought to me. I can not explain it in words the feeling I get when listening to them. This song brings a feeling of His power and of the ever lasting life, without all the attachments that other gospel songs have. For me, it works very well. Perhaps others who are very spiritual, may feel this is not really gospel. In any even, I love this CD and thank God for bringing us the brother and sister who created it. The only reason I did not give this a five star is the other songs are not quite the same as this, though they give us another Heaven at the end! Lots of love to you all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bebe and Cece's best work to date., March 30, 2001
Troy Lilly (Odenton, MD, near Baltimore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Although I am only 14 years old, this album, Heaven, has become one of my favorite cd's. My father bought this cd about 10 years ago and I have loved it since he first played it. If you want a gospel cd that is classic and inspirational, I reccomend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kirk Franklin wasn't the first!, March 20, 2003
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
It seems as though fans of urban contemporary gospel think that Mr. Franklin was the first to have success on both the gospel and pop charts. Back in the 60's and 70's, Edwin Hawkins and Andrae Crouch scored big with songs that appealed to a wide audience.
In the late 80's and early 90's no one was larger on the gospel charts than the Winans siblings. BeBe and CeCe's music was a blend of religious ambiguity that allowed it to be seen as both secular and sacred. Some may have had issues with that melding but it worked for the pair and brought them legions of fans.
1988's "Heaven" showcased the two with such memorable and inspiring tunes as the title cut, "Celebrate New Life", "Hold Up the Light" (with guest Whitney Houston)" and a jaw-dropping rendition of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" that puts the original to shame.
This is one album that supplies enough spiritual "food" to satisfy any "hunger".

5.0 out of 5 stars lush and.....heavenly, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
this album is amazing. I love 80s music and 80s rnb is great cause of the mixture of soul and electronic production. To say the synth work dates this album is an INJUSTICE. the production makes it timeless. It's the production and vocals that make this a truly special work. The fact that it's a gospel work and keeps it's level of crossover appeal is a sign of the quality of producer and artists to have a message delivered in a way to be accepted and enjoyed by a wider audience. If you love scritti politti you will think they did the production to this album, though I don't know if a scritti politti fan will find themselves at this review!

5.0 out of 5 stars BeBe and CeCe Winans Rock!, October 28, 1998
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
When I first became a Christian, this was my first tape by a Christian artist or artists. I absolutely fell in love with the sweet sounds of this brother and sister team. The best was when my husband and I got to see BeBe and CeCe live in Lakeland Florida, along with their family, the Winans. Best concert I've ever been to, before or since.

5.0 out of 5 stars BeBe and CeCe are the epitome of what good gospel music is., August 30, 1998
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
BeBe and CeCe are excellent artists who use their gifts to the honor and glory of God. This CD is excellent for people who like gospel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold up the light 4 Whitney!!, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Hold up.the light,the meaning of the song and Whitney Houston vocals with this powerful duo makes this song stand out on a already talented cd! Amiss Whitney's personal life her voice is so powerful and encourging for all of us to avoid being friends with harmful subatances that will harm us!Lost without you and You are also terrffic tracks.Plz get this cd its so inspirational and hold up the light 4 our angel,Whitney Houston!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best--and certainly one of the most successful--inspirational CDs ever made., May 2, 2014
Justo Roteta (Los Angeles, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven (Audio CD)
Released in 1989, "Heaven" was one of the most commercially successful inspirational music CDs ever made. Granted, this is NOT Gospel music in the traditional sense but songs like "Heaven", "Lost Without You", "Hold Up The Light" and "Don't Cry" can literally get you "up" even on "down" days because of their sheer beauty and uplifting messages. This is a timeless album that truly deserved every bit of its success. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great old school duo., April 5, 2014
This review is from: Heaven (Audio Cassette)
I never get tired of listening to their music, it carries a unique sincerity that really minister the love God.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Heaven
Heaven by CeCe Winans (Audio Cassette - 1988)