5.0 out of 5 stars Living with eternity in mind
Would you live your life differently if you knew that it had a good ending? In the book Heaven Is For Real, 4-year old Colton Burpo made a trip to Heaven and his story is told. In their latest book, Heaven Changes Everything by Todd and Sonja Burpo, the Burpo's share daily readings based on that book.

This book has 42 inspirational readings based on excerpts...
Published 22 months ago by Monica

3.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything
Published 21 months ago by Daniel Butcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything, October 5, 2012
This review is from: Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind (Hardcover)
Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind by Todd and Sonia Burpo is a devotional that builds on the story of Todd Burpos's bestseller Heaven is for Real, which details the Burpos' son Colton's experiences during a near death experience. There are 42 entries which are written by one or both of the Burpos that follow the same format. Each chapter opens with a brief excerpt from Heaven is For Real, followed by a narrative that builds on the principles of the excerpt or discusses events that have happened since the publication of the first book, a thought to contemplate and finally a Bible verse linked to the devotional's main point. The topics covered vary from serving, grieving, the afterlife, evangelism, prayer and many more.

As I read though this devotional, I found that it would be what most would expect from a devotional reader with brief chapters that can be mulled over. I believe that this offering would be of interest to two audiences. First, fans of Heaven is For Real will likely enjoy this text since the Burpos expand on stories within the original book and share stories from their life about what has happened since. The second audience is those who are wrestling with grieving. Having lost a child to heaven, and have him returned they speak of loss in a different way than others that did not walk through journey. Additionally, as a pastor and his wife they have seen and helped others in their periods of loss. Overall Heaven Changes Everything is a typical devotional that fans of Heaven is For Real will likely pick up to enlarge the story of the Burpo family.

Review Copy Provided by Thomas Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Living with eternity in mind, October 3, 2012

This book has 42 inspirational readings based on excerpts from their first book. The readings share more personal experiences and thoughts based on their story and their lives since sharing Heaven Is For Real. In this book, Sonja shares her perspective as a Mom for the first time. These readings offer more comfort and encouragement for everyday life such as financial difficulty, stress and parenting. However, I especially appreciated their stories on losing a child to miscarriage, since I struggled with the loss of our own child through miscarriage. Even if you've experienced an abortion, the Burpo's offer hope for your loss and the reunion you will one day have with that child in heaven. Each reading is designed to help you live "every day with eternity in mind."

This book would be a great gift for just about anyone but especially for those dealing with a loss of a child. Bundle this book with Heaven Is For Real and it becomes a great tool for sharing Christ with someone experiencing loss or struggling with every day struggles as their story offers hope beyond those struggles. I especially appreciated that this book included readings written by Sonja so we hear her voice in the story first hand. Also, I read a few of these readings with my family during our devotion times, it gave us some good discussions based on them. I recommend it for both personal use and gift giving.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything review, October 29, 2012
My mom passed on the book Heaven is for Real after she read it and it was also the first e-book I bought for my wife when she got an eReader. While a book about people who go to heaven and return to tell about it is met with skepticism, I enjoyed reading this book. One of the things that I appreciated about the Burpos was how they interacted with Colton regarding his memories of heaven. They tried to allow him to share as opportunities presented themselves, rather than ask leading questions or perhaps planting ideas in his head. They sought to simply allow him to share.

In Heaven Changes Everything Todd and Sonja build on what was written in the first book. This second book is set up more as a devotional type reading, with forty-two short chapters based on a section of Heaven is for Real.

One of the nice aspects of this book is that it gives a look into where the family is now after the publishing of the first book. The Burpos share about some of the opportunities that have come their way because of the success of the first book. They talk about some of the speaking engagements they've had as well as chances to talk individually with those have lost a child or suffered some type of loss. They talk about family life after the writing of Heaven is for Real and the popularity of Colton's story. Their story gives some insight into how Colton's visit to heaven has impacted their own faith and the spiritual life of their family.

One thing continues to come out of the pages of this book - hope. Even though the Burpos were given their son Colton back, they also share the pain of a miscarriage prior to Colton's birth. They have not only experienced the hope that God provides, they have been given a platform to share that with others. The encounters they share continually point to the promise of heaven and a Father who cares for His children.

If you have read Heaven is for Real, you would enjoy this next book. If you haven't, this book provides a glimpse not just into the Burpo's past experience, but how it impacts the way they live today.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical 'religious blockbuster follow-up' book, February 22, 2014
Something that has become fairly common over maybe the past 10 years is a "religious blockbuster follow-up" book, like this. The author writes a religious book about some event in their life and it winds up on the New York Times bestseller list.

Expecting to capitalize on their new-found fame, their publisher then convinces them to write a follow-up book. Folks who read the first book automatically assume (as I did) that the second book will provide some additional details as well as additional insight from things they studied related to the contents of the first book. But the second book is really just an "ain't God great!" book with references to their first book and tidbits about their life and stock scriptural phrases.

Unfortunately, this second book falls right smack into that category. Nothing new about Collin's visit to heaven. No real narrative, just 42 separate very small chapters. If you didn't read the first book most of it will make little sense and if you did read the first book there's nothing new.

As far as being "inspirational", it's pretty mundane. There are a lot of "inspirational" books that are a lot more inspiring.

If you are looking for more information about heaven -- MUCH more -- I recommend Richard SIgmund's book My Time in Heaven. I've read most of the books on Amazon about visits to Heaven and/or Hell except for the ones that are obviously fantasy or where commentators pointed out numerous things that contradict scripture or the author has a string of books obviously aimed at profiting financially, and Sigmunds is both the most detailed and by far the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Devotional!, January 8, 2013
I recently read Heaven Changes Everything. This is written by the same person who wrote Heaven is for Real, which a story about a little boy who "goes to heaven" and comes back. His dad is a pastor. It was a very good read. Not sure I believed all of what was written....but I'm not here to review that book. I'm telling you about Heaven Changes Everything.

This book is little devotionals written by Todd and Sonja Burpo. The mom and dad of the little boy, Colton, who had a very scary thing happened and went to heaven and back. In this devotional book they use their real life experiences and relate it to how God works in our lives. It was a great read and it was very quick. I enjoyed it because I didn't have to read it all at once, I could read one or two devotions at a time, or 10 if I so chose.

Their devotions point out that even though there are hardships here on this earth, our true reward is in HEAVEN. They say Heaven is God's last word.

A great little devotional!

1.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything, October 11, 2012
I was very disappointed in this book. I purchased Heaven Is For Real and really enjoy the book. This book repeats it's self way to many times. It made me think I had started at the wrong place. It should have stated the book was the pastor's messages. I am sorry I bought the book. I wish I had my money back!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too preachy and bare of essential spiritual oneness, January 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Oh I really wanted to be able to read this and come away feeling lightened in the spirit.I wanted to find a touch of that peace, some understanding, some closure, maybe a happy jig or two after losing a child.

Not so. This book was so thinly written that I was able to go through it in an hour or two. I do not mean thin in size, but in the spirit. The only insight learned is the history of the family which the father related quite well as each chapter progresses.

It is too preachy with what he originally believed, and what he now now believes is truth. It is too wishywashy for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars No story, January 18, 2014
I enjoyed Heaven is for Real so much but this book just refers to points in the Heaven is for Real book and has no story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything, July 29, 2013
V. L. Frania (Climax, MI United States) - See all my reviews
In the book Heaven Is For Real, 4-year old Colton Burpo told his parents that when he died, he experienced Heaven before he was revived. In this book, Heaven Changes Everything by Todd and Sonja Burpo, his family expounds on their experiences that came after the first book and how Colton's story affected all of their lives.

They share more personal experiences and thoughts including Colton's mother's reaction to it all. The biggest encouragement in the book is to parents who have lost a child. She gives comfort and hope through her own perspective. The Burpo's faith is woven throughout the book with encouragement toward making Christ the foundation in any life scenario.

Though not as interesting as their first book, I can see how it might be an encouragement to someone looking for answers, needing hope for their future because of a loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, February 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have not read "Heaven is for Real" at this point, but I do eventually plan to do so. I received a copy of this particularly book based on my interest in the previous book. Without revealing too much about this book, there were some eye-opening thoughts in this book. Aside from their son's experience in heaven, the Burpo's have some well thought ideas and conclusions. There were several times when the author's really made me think. As a veteran of many devotionals, I really enjoyed and benefited from this one.

Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind
Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind by Todd Burpo (Hardcover - October 9, 2012)
$15.99 $10.07