5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything review
My mom passed on the book Heaven is for Real after she read it and it was also the first e-book I bought for my wife when she got an eReader. While a book about people who go to heaven and return to tell about it is met with skepticism, I enjoyed reading this book. One of the things that I appreciated about the Burpos was how they interacted with Colton regarding his...
Published on October 29, 2012 by Tony

3.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything
Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind by Todd and Sonia Burpo is a devotional that builds on the story of Todd Burpos's bestseller Heaven is for Real, which details the Burpos' son Colton's experiences during a near death experience. There are 42 entries which are written by one or both of the Burpos that follow the same format. Each chapter...
Published on October 5, 2012 by Daniel Butcher

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, February 12, 2013
This review is from: Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have not read "Heaven is for Real" at this point, but I do eventually plan to do so. I received a copy of this particularly book based on my interest in the previous book. Without revealing too much about this book, there were some eye-opening thoughts in this book. Aside from their son's experience in heaven, the Burpo's have some well thought ideas and conclusions. There were several times when the author's really made me think. As a veteran of many devotionals, I really enjoyed and benefited from this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven, January 8, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This devotional book is a follow up to HEAVEN IS FOR REAL. You don't have to read the first to appreciate the second. This is a wonderful book. There are small bits from the first book, followed by a The Burpo's views on their son's visit to Heaven. There are 42 devotional messages. This book is very well written and easy to read. The passages and messages will make you stop an think about your own faith and how it impacts your life. I learned so much from the first book, this was like the icing on the cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meant for daily devotional reading..., January 8, 2013
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I read this straight through although spending time after each chapter to absorb it. Those who have read HEAVEN IS REAL will get even more out of this volume, but I found it to be a true blessing on its own.

This is especially appropriate for those who have lost a child, but those of us fortunate enough not to have such an experience can also be rewarded reading this. One can well be sceptical of any book claiming to give us a glimpse of Heavenly realms, but this book is convincing. I definitely recommend it to all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, January 3, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most people LOVED the book this is based on, though I wasn't a fan of the first book, so it is no surprise that I don't really love this devotional type spinoff of it. It is organized into 42 different entries, all based or sparked on excerpts from the original book. Some entries are only 2 pages long, designed for further though in the day, such as "When's the last time you noticed God at work in your life? If you need a little help, listen to George Strait's song "I Saw God Today", followed by a Bible verse. This is a pretty predictable format in the book.

If you read the original book, these stories and excerpts will be familiar to you, and you might like that familiarity or be put off by it. For me, I'd prefer a very different type of devotional than one based on this book but like I said, I wasn't a huge fan of the first original book, though I readily admit most Christians really loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars This was just ok, December 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't know what to expect from this since I don't read much Christain oriented literature. I found the idea of a small boy who had been to heaven and come back fascinating, as many people do. But I have a somewhat skeptical point of view, since the child's father happens to be a preacher. I couldn't help but wonder if the child had picked up enough ideas from his father to piece together some revelations that his father would be pleased by, and therefore shower attention onto the child.

But I like to think of myself as generally open minded, so with this in mind, I read this book, "Heaven Changes Everything" by Todd and Sonja Burpo.

I was hoping for more descriptions of heaven when I got this but was disappointed. I suppose I should get the first book, where the child describes what it was like there, for that. This is a somewhat, in my humble opinion, lame follow up. I say that because, while it is extremely well written, this seemed to me to be heavy on preaching what Jesus taught. Each chapter has teachings of Jesus, that we've all heard many times, with different illustrations of the teachings.

If you can't ever get enough of hearing stories of the teachings of Jesus, and want more descriptions of events that really bring the stories home for you, this is a very lovely well written easy to read book. I didn't read very much at all, unfortunately, of what the boy experienced while in heaven, except for a few hints, almost thrown in as an afterthought.

I did piece together enough of the boys experiences in heaven to see that indeed, the child did describe heaven in the traditional Christian way, with big gates, those who had passed on having large wings, and Jesus sitting on the right side of his father. Also there are the family's unborn children there waiting to greet newcomers with hugs, and they have grown into children from infants. Elderly people have regressed into the prime of life.

I do hope all this is true! I hope this isn't a young child repeating what he has been told by his parents. At any rate, a couple of bestsellers have been launched. In this case at least, heaven did change everything, at least for the Burpo family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives Hope in the Midst of Loss, December 28, 2012
Heaven is fascinating for most people. However, when you loose a loved one it becomes something that weighs more heavily on your mind. Heaven Changes Everything helps to know we have something to look forward to. We will see our loved ones again. They are in a better place that is so much more than we could ever imagine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Changes Everything, December 28, 2012
Good book. I shared it with my niece who has lost a child at 6 months old and we both just cried. We know we will see her again one day and that until then she is happy and well.

3.0 out of 5 stars 'Just Okay' Devotional, December 21, 2012
Heaven Changes Everything is a devotional reader based on the bestselling Heaven is for Real (a young boy's experience of going to heaven and back). Each of the 42 short chapters begins with a quote from Heaven is for Real, followed by a personal reflection based on that quotation, and ending with a sentence of advise and a Bible verse. Some of the topics focus on heaven, but many are narratives of general Christian living. Overall, the book reads like a blog of reflections on past experiences: candid and personal encouragement about life and God through day-to-day stories.

I felt that this book was "just okay." I enjoyed reading many of the stories, but didn't feel it was deep enough or substantial enough to compete with the many other devotional books on the market. I also thought it was odd--considering this is a devotional reader--that each chapter was focused on a quotation from Heaven is for Real, instead of on a scripture or Bible passage. I would have liked to have seen the scripture have a larger part of the message--not that the messages were unbiblical (they weren't)--but that a focus on scripture can bring an additional layer of wisdom to our personal experiences. The format was such that the scriptures felt like an after-thought, rather than a reflection point. So, despite some of the encouraging context, I don't feel that Heaven Changes Everything is a resource I can recommend.

I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of the Thomas Nelson Book Review Blogging Program through booksneeze.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice devotional, November 17, 2012
Heaven Changes Everything by Todd and Sonja Burpo is a great little devotional. It will take excerpts from Heaven is for Real and dig a little deeper into what God was doing in their lives and how they grew from that amazing experience. If you've read Heaven is for Real you will enjoy remembering with the Burpo's certain experiences in their lives. They will also dig deeper into scripture and the way they were changed during the whole process.

This book is for all you devotional readers out there. It's the perfect blend of scripture, insight, and wisdom. Hopefully, it will make you look at your life and want to change certain aspects of it so you are continually growing closer to Christ. I will say that it would be difficult (not impossible) for someone to read this devotional if they did not read Heaven is for Real. What Mr. and Mrs. Burpo do is take excerpts from that book, dwell on the experience and then they use scripture to encourage the reader to grow as well. So dear readers if you are a fan of Heaven is for Real you will definitely love this devotional.

*This book was given to me via Booksneeze in hopes of my honest opinion and I honestly gave it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, December 27, 2012
Sheepla (North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really wanted this to be a five star book because I loved Heaven is for Real so much. I have recommended that book to so many people, I've lost count. This however, is a rehash, and not a very compelling one. It's a series of short chapters starting with a quote from Heaven is for Real and then analyzing/retelling/explaining that quote (I couldn't really tell what the model was for each chapter). It's not a bad book...it just didn't move me at all or feel like anything new.

‹ Previous | 1 2 331 | Next ›

Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind
Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind by Todd Burpo (Hardcover - October 9, 2012)
$15.99 $12.70