Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$7.98 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 18, 2013
Format: Hardcover
If you've read the book Heaven is for Real, the story of little Colton Burpo's visit to heaven, you will understand why I chose to read the devotional book, Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind. The book contains forty-two chapters, and I read them as part of my early morning devotional time for forty-two days. I received the book from BookSneeze in exchange for an honest review, and I was glad this was the book I selected!

Todd and, in this book, Sonja Burpo share portions from the original book, and then they add their reactions, responses, and replies to the topic of that day's devotional. It's basically a follow-up based on what happened in their lives after the feedback provided from readers who were impacted by their story. I love the transparency that the Burpos demonstrate in their writing. It truly feels like they are talking to me over my morning cup of coffee!

You may find this book a bit redundant to Heaven is for Real, because each chapter in this new book contains a portion of the story from the original. However, I feel this would make an excellent gift for someone who may not know much about heaven and/or someone who is seeking for answers from a friend that will point them to Scripture---not just offer them an opinion. This would also be an excellent book to give to someone who has gone through a trial or difficult situation. When they're ready to read it, its truths, combined with the Burpos' firsthand experiences, will be a source of comfort and direction.
Heaven Changes Things Book Review

Todd and Sonja Burpo have written a devotional-reader containing inspirational thoughts aligned with sections of their first book, Heaven Is For Real.

Each short chapter begins with an excerpt from Heaven Is for Real then either Todd or Sonja expands on that excerpt. They wrap up each chapter by presenting a question or a thought to the readers and including a scripture verse.

This book gave me a view of a family and their life after a medical involving their small child.

What I read challenged, inspired and enlightened me. The Burpos gave me opportunity to think about the reality of heaven. I knew it existed but this book presented a few concepts I had not thought about before. The authors held my attention; Instead of pacing myself and taking a few days to study this book. I found myself starting it one day and finishing it the next.

The Burpos present the devotional readings in a very casual, conversational way. They tell of the prayers that went up for their son and how one nurse decided "there [is]a God because this is a miracle." At the end of each reading is a verse or passage of scripture that magnifies the topic of that section.

I would recommend this book to those who work with children, young parents serious in their faith, and children's ministers.

*******

I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers throught its Booksneeze program in return for an honest review.
on November 14, 2012
Format: Hardcover
"Heaven Changes Everything" is a light, but profound book to be read. It is written by Todd & Sonja Burpo as a follow-up to Heaven is For Real, which is based on their young son's experience in Heaven. This devotional style book is 221 pages long. It holds forty-two devotionals that will uplift and spur you on in your walk with Christ!

The style of each devotional is very simplistic and easy to follow. The devotional begins with an excerpt from "Heaven is for Real". It is followed by Todd or Sonja sharing a teaching point that relates to the passage and will encourage us to think about our walk with Christ. Each devotional brings a question to ask ourselves. The devotional also points back to a single scripture that we can meditate on throughout the day.

I enjoy the format and content of the devotions I have had the privilege to read. They each point me to God and my relationship in Him. This book is definitely a tool for growing in our faith and learning to live each day with an eternal mindset. Also, I think this devotional could make for a very good Bible study. What I hope to do is keep a journal to reflect on the devotional and scripture, which would be a great way to see how God speaks to me throughout the process to become more Heaven minded as I seek to live out my life with my mind on eternity.

**I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.**
Format: Hardcover
Colton Burpos' unique experience of traveling to Heaven and meeting Jesus changed life for Todd and Sonja as much as it did for their son. In this devotional, they discuss the many ways their life has gotten better, and how they have been able to help people understand what will happen when you go to Heaven.

Each of the short chapters focuses on how Colton's parent have dealt with his experience. I particularly enjoyed the chapters about how the family adjusted. With Colton getting so much publicity it would be easy for the other children to become resentful. Todd and Sonja talk realistically about how they give the other children additional attention when they're home and build them into the speaking engagements.

This book repeats much of the information in Heaven is For Real, but the emphasis is now on how do you live with what Colton learned. The chapters are short devotionals that can be used to meditate on what knowing about Heaven can mean in your life. I particularly enjoyed the ones dedicated to the importance of guiding young children. Colton brought back Jesus' message that he loves children. The Burpos have understood the message and focus on children's ministry, an area that is too often relegated to second place in our churches.

I highly recommend this book. The realization that Heaven is real changed the Burpos life. It can change yours also.

I reviewed this book for the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze Program.
on December 29, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Just like many other people in our great nation I was swept away by the book, Heaven Is For Real. It was recommended to me by a good friend and I finished the book in almost one sitting. I was drawn to the story told by this young boy. When I saw the companion book was available for review, I jumped at the opportunity to read it. Heaven Changes Everything, By: Todd & Sonja Burpo is a devotional book written in short chapters told by the young boys parents.

This book pulls at your heart strings and opens your eyes to see God in your every day life. It offers inspiring and real-life experiences to keep the hope of Heaven alive! Each chapter begins with a excerpt from the first book, Heaven Is For Real and closes with a scripture to provide biblical reinforcement to keep the reader's thoughts on the Lord through out their daily lives.
One thing I really enjoyed about the book is how Todd & Sonja reacted to their son Colton's memories of Heaven. They did ask questions to put certain thoughts into his head. They gave him the time and opportunity to express what he felt and heard for himself. I recommend this book as a great read for anyone who has read the first book. And also for those who haven't this book offers a glimpse into the Burpo's past experiences and how it has impacted the way they live today!

~Heaven is God's last word - and believing it's real changes everything.~ (from the back cover of the book)
on January 12, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind by Todd Burpo and Sonja Burpo is another home run by the Burpo family! Did you read Heaven is for real by the Burpo family? This book is just a beautiful and touching as Heaven is for real. This book can be read as a devotional, can be shared with family members, small groups, or even read just for peace of mind.

The book touches on how the family coped with the fact of possibly losing their precious baby boy, what they felt, what they went through, etc. The book takes you through fifty unique readings based on an example from their original story (from Heaven is for real.) They put an answer to the questions that some people are afraid to ask about. What kind of questions or subjects? Doubting God, Questioning God's plan, or even being angry with God.

I absolutely LOVED this book! I keep it close to pull it out and keep me going at times. It truly touches your heart and is a great addition to their original book.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 [...] : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on March 9, 2013
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Original book is better. This one just recaps the old one and tells you more about the family. I was disappointed. I loved their first book. The seller made great contact and delivery was timely.
on January 18, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Having loved the book, Heaven is for Real, by the same authors, I just knew I was going to love this devotional as well. It did not disappoint. The book is divided into 42 devotions, each one starting with an excerpt from Heaven is for Real. The topics cover grief & loss, parenting issues, and other issues people come up against, such as financial problems. In each section, the Burpos use illustrations from Heaven is for real to help the believer come to terms with the problem being explored. I did like that more information is given into situations that I read about in the first book, but it is not at all necessary to have read Heaven is for Real in order to make good use of this devotional.

With the climate of fear in the country (USA) today, with senseless murders and outrageous acts commited against innocent people, especially children, I think this book will certainly meet a need. In addition to fans of the Burpos first book, I think parents of young children, or parents who have lost a child, will find great comfort in this devotional. I'm sure, just as it is with Heaven is for Real, that this book will be a mainstay in my gift-giving for those who are grieving or dealing with tough circumstances in parenting.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. The thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.
on January 19, 2015
Format: Kindle Edition
My Honest Review

5 stars out of 5

Using excerpts from Heaven is for Real, the story of their son’s near-death experience, Todd and Sonja Burpo add detail from their original story, while providing a devotional. Each of the forty-two chapters includes an excerpt from their original story, along with more of the story being told by Todd Burpo, often, with detail added from his wife, Sonja. At the end of each chapter, there is advice or a prayer for the reader to use as a devotional along with a bible verse to use as meditation.
In parts, the story can be a little repetitive for those that read Heaven is for Real. However, it still holds the reader’s attention, with the additional of the details and perspective provided by Sonja Burpo. For a fan of the original book, it is refreshing to add her voice to the story of Colton and his experience in Heaven. This is also the case for the updates on Colton and how his experience continues to influence his life. His life is still enriched by the experience.
The overwhelming message of the book is one of hope. For those with family members and friends who have gone on before them, it provides more reasons to believe that there is something beyond this life – something to look forward to – something to live for. If you have not read all the Heaven is for Real books I highly recommend them all.
on December 31, 2012
Heaven Changes Everything by Todd and Sonja Burpo
This book touches me as a mom. Colton's mom writes this book from her perspective and I can appreciate that. I think one of the most poignant quotes from the book is in the opening pages "We began to let God teach us through our son." Scriptures say that a little child shall lead them and this book personifies that. Much like friends in a close relationship this book discusses the different stories that their initial book Heaven Is for Real prompts from people when they are reading. Putting those stories or thoughts down was a wonderful way to capture them and share them with those of us who are still longing for Heaven.
I appreciated the honesty that jumped from the pages. For those of us who have experienced life altering events it is difficult to look at life the way we did before the event. We often struggle with apprehension and worry. This book is a wonderful way to remind ourselves that God is truly with us and for us.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who needs a little pick me up or for those who are in the doldrums and need a bit more of the voice of God in their lives. While I know this book is not the Bible it does help bring hope into dark days. Enjoy!