Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 29, 2012
My mom passed on the book Heaven is for Real after she read it and it was also the first e-book I bought for my wife when she got an eReader. While a book about people who go to heaven and return to tell about it is met with skepticism, I enjoyed reading this book. One of the things that I appreciated about the Burpos was how they interacted with Colton regarding his memories of heaven. They tried to allow him to share as opportunities presented themselves, rather than ask leading questions or perhaps planting ideas in his head. They sought to simply allow him to share.

In Heaven Changes Everything Todd and Sonja build on what was written in the first book. This second book is set up more as a devotional type reading, with forty-two short chapters based on a section of Heaven is for Real.

One of the nice aspects of this book is that it gives a look into where the family is now after the publishing of the first book. The Burpos share about some of the opportunities that have come their way because of the success of the first book. They talk about some of the speaking engagements they've had as well as chances to talk individually with those have lost a child or suffered some type of loss. They talk about family life after the writing of Heaven is for Real and the popularity of Colton's story. Their story gives some insight into how Colton's visit to heaven has impacted their own faith and the spiritual life of their family.

One thing continues to come out of the pages of this book - hope. Even though the Burpos were given their son Colton back, they also share the pain of a miscarriage prior to Colton's birth. They have not only experienced the hope that God provides, they have been given a platform to share that with others. The encounters they share continually point to the promise of heaven and a Father who cares for His children.

If you have read Heaven is for Real, you would enjoy this next book. If you haven't, this book provides a glimpse not just into the Burpo's past experience, but how it impacts the way they live today.
on October 5, 2012
Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind by Todd and Sonia Burpo is a devotional that builds on the story of Todd Burpos's bestseller Heaven is for Real, which details the Burpos' son Colton's experiences during a near death experience. There are 42 entries which are written by one or both of the Burpos that follow the same format. Each chapter opens with a brief excerpt from Heaven is For Real, followed by a narrative that builds on the principles of the excerpt or discusses events that have happened since the publication of the first book, a thought to contemplate and finally a Bible verse linked to the devotional's main point. The topics covered vary from serving, grieving, the afterlife, evangelism, prayer and many more.

As I read though this devotional, I found that it would be what most would expect from a devotional reader with brief chapters that can be mulled over. I believe that this offering would be of interest to two audiences. First, fans of Heaven is For Real will likely enjoy this text since the Burpos expand on stories within the original book and share stories from their life about what has happened since. The second audience is those who are wrestling with grieving. Having lost a child to heaven, and have him returned they speak of loss in a different way than others that did not walk through journey. Additionally, as a pastor and his wife they have seen and helped others in their periods of loss. Overall Heaven Changes Everything is a typical devotional that fans of Heaven is For Real will likely pick up to enlarge the story of the Burpo family.

Review Copy Provided by Thomas Nelson
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2012
Would you live your life differently if you knew that it had a good ending? In the book Heaven Is For Real, 4-year old Colton Burpo made a trip to Heaven and his story is told. In their latest book, Heaven Changes Everything by Todd and Sonja Burpo, the Burpo's share daily readings based on that book.

This book has 42 inspirational readings based on excerpts from their first book. The readings share more personal experiences and thoughts based on their story and their lives since sharing Heaven Is For Real. In this book, Sonja shares her perspective as a Mom for the first time. These readings offer more comfort and encouragement for everyday life such as financial difficulty, stress and parenting. However, I especially appreciated their stories on losing a child to miscarriage, since I struggled with the loss of our own child through miscarriage. Even if you've experienced an abortion, the Burpo's offer hope for your loss and the reunion you will one day have with that child in heaven. Each reading is designed to help you live "every day with eternity in mind."

This book would be a great gift for just about anyone but especially for those dealing with a loss of a child. Bundle this book with Heaven Is For Real and it becomes a great tool for sharing Christ with someone experiencing loss or struggling with every day struggles as their story offers hope beyond those struggles. I especially appreciated that this book included readings written by Sonja so we hear her voice in the story first hand. Also, I read a few of these readings with my family during our devotion times, it gave us some good discussions based on them. I recommend it for both personal use and gift giving.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson through their Booksneeze program. I was not required to write a positive review in exchange for the book.
on February 22, 2014
Something that has become fairly common over maybe the past 10 years is a "religious blockbuster follow-up" book, like this. The author writes a religious book about some event in their life and it winds up on the New York Times bestseller list.

Expecting to capitalize on their new-found fame, their publisher then convinces them to write a follow-up book. Folks who read the first book automatically assume (as I did) that the second book will provide some additional details as well as additional insight from things they studied related to the contents of the first book. But the second book is really just an "ain't God great!" book with references to their first book and tidbits about their life and stock scriptural phrases.

Unfortunately, this second book falls right smack into that category. Nothing new about Collin's visit to heaven. No real narrative, just 42 separate very small chapters. If you didn't read the first book most of it will make little sense and if you did read the first book there's nothing new.

As far as being "inspirational", it's pretty mundane. There are a lot of "inspirational" books that are a lot more inspiring.

If you are looking for more information about heaven -- MUCH more -- I recommend Richard SIgmund's book My Time in Heaven. I've read most of the books on Amazon about visits to Heaven and/or Hell except for the ones that are obviously fantasy or where commentators pointed out numerous things that contradict scripture or the author has a string of books obviously aimed at profiting financially, and Sigmunds is both the most detailed and by far the best.
on August 27, 2014
This book is all about the inadequate preacher-dad continuing to preach to a hopefully larger audience. If he believed what he preaches in the first place, he would never have doubted his son's experience in my opinion. There is no new information added to the original story line. Don't waste your money on this one. Instead, support the local church of your choice and read the Bible of your beliefs.
on December 29, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I didn't know what to expect from this since I don't read much Christain oriented literature. I found the idea of a small boy who had been to heaven and come back fascinating, as many people do. But I have a somewhat skeptical point of view, since the child's father happens to be a preacher. I couldn't help but wonder if the child had picked up enough ideas from his father to piece together some revelations that his father would be pleased by, and therefore shower attention onto the child.

But I like to think of myself as generally open minded, so with this in mind, I read this book, "Heaven Changes Everything" by Todd and Sonja Burpo.

I was hoping for more descriptions of heaven when I got this but was disappointed. I suppose I should get the first book, where the child describes what it was like there, for that. This is a somewhat, in my humble opinion, lame follow up. I say that because, while it is extremely well written, this seemed to me to be heavy on preaching what Jesus taught. Each chapter has teachings of Jesus, that we've all heard many times, with different illustrations of the teachings.

If you can't ever get enough of hearing stories of the teachings of Jesus, and want more descriptions of events that really bring the stories home for you, this is a very lovely well written easy to read book. I didn't read very much at all, unfortunately, of what the boy experienced while in heaven, except for a few hints, almost thrown in as an afterthought.

I did piece together enough of the boys experiences in heaven to see that indeed, the child did describe heaven in the traditional Christian way, with big gates, those who had passed on having large wings, and Jesus sitting on the right side of his father. Also there are the family's unborn children there waiting to greet newcomers with hugs, and they have grown into children from infants. Elderly people have regressed into the prime of life.

I do hope all this is true! I hope this isn't a young child repeating what he has been told by his parents. At any rate, a couple of bestsellers have been launched. In this case at least, heaven did change everything, at least for the Burpo family.
on May 1, 2015
What a great book. I am a reader and this one really was great. I started reading it and I couldn't put it down. I was so interested on how this little boy went to heaven and cane back and spoke about his encounter with jesus. I absolutely loved this book.
on December 26, 2012
I am so glad another book was written after the first one! It is wonderful to see how this event has affected this family's and so many other lives! This author brings prayer and scripture through to help a person in hard times. So much is explained in this book that will be a huge help to others. How our God is part of our lives not just in hard times but in everyday times. It shows how Pastors and their families are just like everyone else. They struggle with the same things we all struggle with. This book is one a person could use to refer to later when hard times hit. It tells how Pastors and their families aren't exempt from tragic and hard times in this life but when they do hit how prayer and scripture can help pull you through. It's a great book! Hope you decide to read it!!!
on January 20, 2015
The people Colton saw in Heaven which included a grandfather who died many years before he was born and a "sister" whom Colton's mother had lost in a miscarriage before Colton was born could not possibly have been known by a 4-year-old.are proof that Heaven is real. The commentary from Colton's Mom and Dad enhances everything in Heaven is for Real. Another is his describing his parents reactions in the hospital while he is on the operating table. This followup book tells more details of the first book and tells of things that happened as a result of the original story.It is very easy reading and worthwhile. I would love to meet the family.
on December 21, 2012
Heaven Changes Everything is a devotional reader based on the bestselling Heaven is for Real (a young boy's experience of going to heaven and back). Each of the 42 short chapters begins with a quote from Heaven is for Real, followed by a personal reflection based on that quotation, and ending with a sentence of advise and a Bible verse. Some of the topics focus on heaven, but many are narratives of general Christian living. Overall, the book reads like a blog of reflections on past experiences: candid and personal encouragement about life and God through day-to-day stories.

I felt that this book was "just okay." I enjoyed reading many of the stories, but didn't feel it was deep enough or substantial enough to compete with the many other devotional books on the market. I also thought it was odd--considering this is a devotional reader--that each chapter was focused on a quotation from Heaven is for Real, instead of on a scripture or Bible passage. I would have liked to have seen the scripture have a larger part of the message--not that the messages were unbiblical (they weren't)--but that a focus on scripture can bring an additional layer of wisdom to our personal experiences. The format was such that the scriptures felt like an after-thought, rather than a reflection point. So, despite some of the encouraging context, I don't feel that Heaven Changes Everything is a resource I can recommend.

I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of the Thomas Nelson Book Review Blogging Program through booksneeze.com.