5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Is A Place On Earth? With Belinda, definitely!
Behold: a second solo album and one that's even better than her debut, Belinda. Where Belinda was a toe-dip in the ocean of pop, Heaven On Earth has Belinda Carlisle splashing and swimming happily with the best of them. And the title track was asking to shoot to #1 on the Billboard charts, which it did.
"Circle In The Sand" is a perfect beach song, not...
Published on December 1, 2001 by Daniel J. Hamlow

1.0 out of 5 stars wrong edition
this was'nt the deluxe edition as advertised!!! as you can see by the product info!!!returning it was no problem though..
Published 4 months ago by octavio

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Is A Place On Earth? With Belinda, definitely!, December 1, 2001
This review is from: Heaven on Earth (Audio CD)
"Circle In The Sand" is a perfect beach song, not in the vein of the boppity "Bikini Beach" but light-paced, ideal for walking along the beach, watching the waves.
Her cover of Cream's "I Feel Free" is the first time I heard this song and as such, is better than the original or the David Bowie rendition of it. This is the same song that seems to be played in the book American Psycho, not the movie.
"World Without You" is a nice ballad whose styling reminds me a bit of John Waite's "Missing You". The same rhythm guitar and synthesizer styling permeates throughout the next song, "I Get Weak", which is not a weak song by any means; she makes it credible, thanks to lyrics by ace songwriter Diane Warren.
The fun-tastic fast-paced "Fool For Love" has a simple and sweet chorus: "If I'm a fool for love (3x), I don't care (2x)"
"Nobody Owns Me" has a strong pounding rock guitar dominant. It also makes Belinda one of the few singers who has the license for singing "oooh" to finish a line AND make it sexy. Susanna Hoffs is the only other one I can think of who also qualifies.
The sad and wistful "Love Never Dies" closes the album.
Rick Nowels produced this album, as well as Runaway Horses and Live Your Life Be Free, and no doubt his masterful skill contributed Belinda's well-deserved stardom. Add to this are some talented guest singers and artists, including Charlotte Caffey, and two-thirds of what would later become Wilson Phillips, as well as Mellencamp drummer Kenny Aronoff.
Heaven On Earth lives up to its title and for me, this was one of the best reasons to be alive in 1987. Every song here is singleworthy, and there are very very few albums to which I can say that to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Track list for "Heaven on Earth" deluxe three-disc edition, September 11, 2013
This review is from: Heaven on Earth (Audio CD)
This is probably not Belinda's best album, but it is her most popular. Fans will be very happy with this first-rate deluxe edition.

Because Amazon doesn't have a track listing for this version, here it is ...

Disc 1: Orginal album, plus single mixes
1 Heaven Is A Place On Earth (4:07)
2 Circle In The Sand (4:26)
3 I Feel Free (4:50)
4 Should I Let You In? (4:18)
5 World Without You (4:42)
6 I Get Weak (4:52)
7 We Can Change (3:46)
8 Fool For Love (3:56)
9 Nobody Owns Me (3:13)
10 Love Never Dies (5:16)
11 Heaven Is A Place On Earth (3:53)
12 I Get Weak (4:16)
13 Circle in the Sand (3:40)
14 World Without You (3:58)
15 I Feel Free (4:25)
16 Love Never Dies (4:12)

Disc 2: Remixes
1 Heaven is a Place on Earth (6:01)
2 I Feel Free (6:59)
3 Circle in the Sand (7:52)
4 World Without You (8:27)
5 I Get Weak (7:31)
6 Heaven is a Place on Earth (5:23)
7 Circle in the Sand (3:51)
8 World Without You (4:16)
9 Circle in the Sand (5:17)
10 I Get Weak (6:19)
11 I Feel Free (7:37)
12 Heaven is a Place on Earth (3:54)

Disc 3: Interview, promo videos, live concert

18 Love Never Dies
19 Head Over Heels
20 We Got the Beat

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost-heavenly remaster, June 6, 2009
"Heaven on Earth" was Belinda Carlisle's peak on the pop charts. Her 1986 "Belinda" album did well enough, but HOE brought her to the top of the charts. The album had a run of great singles: "Heaven is a Place on Earth", "I Get Weak" and "Circle in the Sand", accompanied by stylish videos that were played endlessly on MTV. HOE has been remastered, and with this Special Edition, I was surprised at how well the album has aged.

I always brushed HOE off as a pleasant pop album with some great singles, while the rest of it was fluff. But the whole album is a solid listen. Carlisle, like Madonna and Kylie Minogue, has one of the best pop voices, and her summery, feel-good pop is at its best here. The remaster includes extended and remixed versions of the singles, although I was disappointed that the remix of "I Feel Free" is not included. And, although the special edition comes with an entertaining concert from 1988, I wish this edition had included the videos for the singles, since they were a key part of the success of HOE.

But, if you love '80s pop, this remaster is a must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Belinda Carlisle-Haven't heard a song that I didn't like, February 18, 2005
Justin Moore (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven on Earth (Audio CD)
Belinda Carlisle was one of the foremost rock/pop songtresses of the eighties. Although her US star faded in the US in the early nineties, she continued releasing albums in England. I have purchased some of those as well, and they have been just as good as her original hits. Not quite sure why she faded in the US, but her work is still top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top album for top artist, May 30, 2010
Thomas Trenchard (Covington, LA, USA) - See all my reviews
One of Belinda's top albums as far as I'm concerned. Bonus tracks and bonus DVD make this a great package! Belinda fans should get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can I give it more??, January 13, 2001
This review is from: Heaven on Earth (Audio CD)
Because it certainly deserves this. While I too would have liked "Mad about you" on this album, this does not detract from the quality of the work. I got this album when I was a preteen, and it still has undisputable staying power. My parents got this for me during one birthday, and I have played it so much that the tape is begining to wear thin in places.
Even though my tastes run towards rock and punk, I absolutely love this ex-Go-Go's work and am always perked up by her airal and etherial voice. The vocals are far more mature than 1980's Maddona, and yet, they are not totally lost on somebody who is a preteen or even teenager. I really can't highlight a single track, because the music is all good, but my favirotes of favirotes would have to be "Heaven on Earth", " Should I let you in" and "I feel Free". This is one talented woman who clearly has lots of attitude and places it into her work .
I also liked the fact that her beauty lay in the comparative simplicity of dress and makeup. While she is really dressed up in the cover art by today's standards, she looked really natural in the glam 1980s.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great 2 Disc Package! (CD+DVD), June 6, 2011
This Belinda Carlisle album is one of her best (maybe the best) cd she recorded because every song is good and the DVD is good too.The song "Circle in the sand" is an outstanding song as well as "Heaven is a place on Earth".This album
is definitely a gem! The album is remastered with bonus tracks which is a plus.
If you like female rock with clear sounding music I would recommend this CD + DVD to you all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her finest hour., May 26, 2009
This UK special edition CD/DVD set is really worth owning if you're a fan of Ms Carlisle's. It's extremely cheap (at least here in England) and features a 60 minute concert DVD from 1988 which I'd never seen. It's a big fave amongst Belinda's fans, though, and I can see why. She's in great voice throughout and though perhaps it's not the most dynamic looking show ever, Belinda looks great, healthy, trim and really enjoying herself. She's wonderful at hair tossing, too!

The album itself is very good and with on-form writers like Diane Warren and Rick Nowels providing a chunk of the material it's commerciality was never going to be in doubt. The album has been remastered, it sounds a little 'warmer', perhaps, but the original sounded pretty good anyway so there was never going to be a massive improvement.

The packaging is nice with a (slightly flimsy) 6 panel digipak sleeve and a slim but informative booklet with an essay on Belinda and credits for the CD and DVD. No lyrics, though.

So, if you want a fresh look at a late 80's classic, pick up 'Heaven On Earth'. And if you're a Belinda novice, get 'Runaway Horses', HOE's follow up, next. It's by the same team and is very nearly as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Gets Me Weak, December 22, 2001
the dirty mac "boot64" (Nutopian Global Institute) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven on Earth (Audio CD)
If one were to draw up a list of the most underrated albums of the 1980s, then this album would have to be near the top. It's easy to forget that in the late eighties Belinda Carlisle ranked up there with Madonna as one of the biggest female pop stars in the world. HEAVEN ON EARTH was her commercial blockbuster. Each song is at least solid and several are amazingly good.
"Heaven Is a Place on Earth" is the track that will ring the most bells. Part dance song, part rip-roaring anthem, it remains a masterpiece of its genre. Actually, it might be best thought of as a really good arena rock song. Not surprisingly, it went to #1 on the Billboard singles chart. Remember the music video for this song? Belinda always had sex appeal and charisma, but she completely outdid herself on this one. The atmospheric "Circle in the Sand" was another Top 10 hit. You can practically feel the ocean breeze blow in your face as the song plays, and it might have her best vocal performance ever. The other Top 10 hit on the album is "I Get Weak," which peaked at #2. Written by Diane Warren, Belinda sounds downright triumphant as she sings it.
It's a pleasant surprise to hear Belinda cover Cream's "I Feel Free." The only problem is that one of the lines is wrong. As written by Jack Bruce and Pete Brown, the final verse is supposed to be: "Dancefloor is like the sea/Ceiling is the sky/You're the sun and as you shine on me/I feel free." Instead Belinda starts it by singing: "As far as I can see/Ceiling is the sky ..." But it sounds so good, why complain?
Elaborately produced, this album is very different from Belinda's earlier work with the Go-Go's. That's both a positive and a negative. At times the production is a little too glossy and slick. It was recorded in 1987, after all. But Go-Go's fans will be happy to know that Charlotte Caffey co-wrote four of the album's ten songs. So if you're searching for some harmless Reagan-era pop, HEAVEN ON EARTH is as good a place as any to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars 80s pop doesn't get much better, July 16, 2008
This review is from: Heaven on Earth (Audio CD)
The best of the many solo albums recorded by the former lead singer of the Go-Gos, it's albums like this that terms like "perfect pop" were likely invented for. First released in Fall 1987 and dominant throughout much of '88, this album spawned the #1 smash "Heaven Is A Place On Earth," which was accompanied by a pretty cool video, the gorgeous "Circle In The Sand" with its beautiful guitar and synth riff at the beginning, and the un-aptly titled "I Get Weak" which is not weak at all but rather full of exuberant energy. Definitely an essential album for any serious fan of the 80s.

Heaven on Earth
Heaven on Earth by Belinda Carlisle (Audio CD - 1987)
Rate and Discover Movies