5.0 out of 5 stars What sheep taught me
Wow, I never expected to love this book as much as I did. The day it came in I couldn't put it down. The writer is warm, funny, down-to-earth and most of all a great "teacher" of the Word through out her book. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to better understand why there are so many scriptures in the bible about sheep & the Lord being our Shepard...
Published on October 22, 2008 by Candra C. Georgi

3.0 out of 5 stars Learn something new from sheep?
This book is an interesting look at one woman's life as she takes on the job of shepherding a flock of her own sheep and in the process realizing what a tough job our own Shepherd has had watching over us mere humans.

Published on November 5, 2008 by L. J. Schrader

3.0 out of 5 stars Learn something new from sheep?, November 5, 2008
This review is from: Heaven Has Blue Carpet: A Sheep Story by a Suburban Housewife (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

By providing the analogy of the sheep's stubborness, misdirection and not knowing how much greener the pasture could be on the other side if they just followed the right path, she reflects these thoughts to the reader and our relationship with OUR Shepherd. Those sheep who look to her for guidance and love get not only that, but more...and those sheep who simply ignore her will never know what they have missed. Learning to appreciate our own Shepherd is a terrific lesson.

This is a nice, quick read that feels as if you have been chatting with a new friend who has an unusual life story and who makes you think as you part ways.

My only complaint is that it was not left as sweet and simple as it could have been. It has scripture dispersed throughout and some little sidebars with wisdom that sometimes seem to be stretching beyond the story, almost trying to make it have more depth when it really was not necessary. Those bits can come off as if you are reading a self-help book when the simple story itself and the author's revelations would have been just fine on their own.

Still, it's always refreshing to get new and unusual reminders to look at life with a fresh twist and this book will certainly give you that.

5.0 out of 5 stars What sheep taught me, October 22, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The book is inviting and concise. You will hear enough to feel drawn into the story without being lost in too much detail of her accounts. Basically the book is about a Suburban mom of 6 who moves to the country and purchases some sheep. The book takes you through their ups & downs on the farm pertaining to their novice sheep raising skills.

I am not an animal lover, and yet I was almost in tears when their first lamb was born and shared in their sorrows when a lamb was abandoned by it's mom.

You will be amazed all the parallels and similarities between lambs and yourself. The writer inserts wonderful scriptures to go along with her stories and you will feel like one of the family as you follow their adventurous journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Was Touched By This Book On So Many Levels., December 17, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Once again, I let myself judge a book by its cover and nearly missed out on this gem. The biggest draw for me was that it was a sheep story - told by a suburban housewife nonetheless. I really didn't expect much from Heaven Has Blue Carpet ...shame on me.

While there are other books out there about sheep/shepherd experiences in relation to our heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, I thoroughly relished the female/suburban housewife/mom point of view. Sharon Neidzinski wrote a funny, down to earth story while striking deep and relevant emotional and spiritual chords.

I learned a lot about sheep that I really didn't know before. While this is not a "Sheep Herding for Dummies" book, you get a pretty good scope of the insane amount of work it takes to keep a sheep herd for farming purposes. And the spiritual connotations are hard not to miss from both sides - from the sheep herder to the sheep themselves. Sharon does a good job revealing the sheep herd/shepherd relationship.

On another note, the amount of physically labor involved that Sharon dove into headlong makes me feel like a complete couch potato. While this may not be the main point of the book, I appreciate the revelation that we were made to work hard and be active. Not all readers may find this relevant in this book, but I did.

I also appreciate that this book involved her whole family. Raising the sheep, and all the other animals on their beloved farm, was something shared by the entire family.

Finally, I enjoyed reading the orphaned lamb stories...and even the one that wasn't an orphan. These little lambs steal your heart...and break them too.

Heaven Has Blue Carpet has stayed in my heart and mind long after I was done reading this book. While I hated that it made me cry at one point, I did not turned away. I kept on reading because I wanted to know what was next. It's a fun and touching read.

Thank you Sharon N. for sharing your amazing story of your life on the farm. While I hated you temporarily for making me cry, I loved your book. It has touched me deeply and has stayed with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Both endearing and horrifying, December 5, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this book, Heaven Has Blue Carpet: A Sheep Story for my wife. We are both Christians. She is very fond of sheep, so I thought this would be a good match. I asked her to write the review for me after she read it.

"As a lifelong lover of lambs, I found this book both endearing and horrifying. I loved the passages describing the innocence and devotion of the new lambs. Bottle feeding, diapering and living with a lamb in the house sounds right up my alley. I was distraught at the descriptions of disease, medical care and rejection of some lambs by their mothers and I could never send a bottle raised lamb to slaughter. I really appreciated the many references to scripture and reflected anew on the truths of God as our Shepherd. An enjoyable and eye opening read. I'm a more informed lover of lambs and God is definitely still my Shepherd!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange Title; Wonderful Message!, November 20, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is the tale of a family who moved from the suburbs to the country and eventually raises lambs. The author tells about raising sheep and compares us to the sheep, with Jesus as our shepherd. I thought I knew why we are called His sheep, but this book introduced me to many truths I hadn't considered.

Oh, and the title? It comes from the story of a bummer lamb (orphan, whose mother had rejected him), who the author brings into her home to care for (to hopefully give him a better chance at survival). The floors are covered in blue carpet, and the lamb (who had the love of the entire family) was literally in heaven, especially when compared to the other lambs who stayed with their mothers. The author compares us to this lamb, when we go through our darkest hours (especially when friends and family reject us), when Christ lovingly cares for us to help get us through those difficult times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking; liked it a lot, November 13, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I absolutely love this book! In reading some of the other reviews, I was worried that it would be "too trite" or "too religious". But I don't find the lessons in it to be heavy-handed---on the contrary, I found them very thought-provoking. As an example, in one chapter the newly-purchased sheep won't follow the owner (their shepherd) because they don't know her yet and don't trust her. Plus, simpletons that they are (motivated mainly by food), the sheep don't realize that she's trying to lead them to a pasture with fresh grass, or vaccinate them so they won't get sick. People are like that too: we can't fathom what good thing our Shepherd has planned for us and so don't trust Him, or we're too scared to follow Him out of our comfortable but worn-out pasture. Although I understand the point she was trying to illustrate, I agree that they story about Joey was disturbing. Otherwise, I thought that the book is well-written and promotes introspection while telling an interesting story. It's not "compelling high-brow literature" (more a book to be slowly savored than one that grips you til the very end) which is why I gave it only 4 stars, but within its genre it's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Spiritual Lessons !, November 5, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book tells the story of a lady and her family raising sheep and the spiritual lessons she learned along the way. They started with absolutely no knowledge of shepherding, and the book follows them through the learning process and includes stories of their relationships with some of the individual sheep. The author has relevant Bible verses scattered throughout the book as well as spiritual reflections titled "Chew on This", "Good Grain", and
"The Shearing Shed" to help apply the lessons to everyday life.

The author has a warm, friendly writing style that makes this book a joy to read, and she does a good job of explaining the spiritual applications. I feel like I have a better understanding of Jesus as our Shepherd from reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, charming, and inspiring, October 29, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you can imagine selling your house, buying a very old farmhouse in the country, moving your spouse and family into said dilapidated old house, and ordering some sheep that you have absolutely no idea how to care for, you'll get the premise of this book. The author is a master of transition, so at the end of every chapter, you'll be unable to resist going on to the next, and her many plights with respect to the sheep will keep you laughing. Through all of her experiences, though, is a deeper lesson--an understanding of how God views HIS sheep (us). This book is a fun and heartwarming read, and the lessons learned through the many sheep-related anecdotes and simple reflections make it worthwhile rather than just entertaining. I gave it five stars, and I feel it earned every one of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Reviews for the Price of One!, January 2, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The first review is mine, the second is from my mother who is a published author of spiritual books.

My Review: I found the portions of this book that described what it was like to raise sheep extremely interesting--so interesting that I found myself skipping over the portions that related the experience to Christian themes and biblical passages so I could get back to the story of the sheep. Overall, I thought the author did a good job selecting various situations and experiences from the life of the sheep to illustrate the Christian themes she wanted to highlight. And even though I didn't read every word of the bible passages she included, I did understand the message. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't an explanation on why, after 16 years, they left the farm. The end seemed a bit rushed and didn't flow as smoothly as the rest of the book, but overall, I enjoyed the book very much.

My Mother's Review: "Although I have never like narrative and spiritual agendas woven together in one book, this author does it meaninfully choosing Scripture passage that inspiringly match the story episodes. The Scripture passages were already very familiar, so I found myself more eager to understand the ways of the sheep. However, in the process I understand the role of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, more clearly, and appreciate Him, more dearly." She also rated this 4 out of 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too many, April 21, 2014
I think I've purchased 6 copies of these so far, and. I've given three away because I LOVE THIS BOOK! Her Witt and delightful human experience were grueling and lighthearted, all on the same page. Easy read!! I bought all of them used.....a each for a PENNY! I love it. Oh, and I LOVED THE BOOK! Did I mention that already?

Heaven Has Blue Carpet: A Sheep Story by a Suburban Housewife
Heaven Has Blue Carpet: A Sheep Story by a Suburban Housewife by Sharon Stark Niedzinski (Paperback - October 14, 2008)
$14.99 $12.41