5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVEN IS FOR REAL FOR KIDS
Illustrated by Wilson Ong
A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Published on October 28, 2011 by IntentionalMomma

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book
Heaven is for Real for kids is a good book to read with children who have questions about heaven. I'm not going to debate if I think Colton actually went to heaven, but I appreciate the scripture on each page of the book. The pictures are beautiful and captivated my daughter. I think this book would be appropriate for preschool and elementary children.
Published on October 30, 2011 by Tiff

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVEN IS FOR REAL FOR KIDS, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Heaven is for Real for Kids: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back (Hardcover)
HEAVEN IS FOR REAL FOR KIDS by Todd and Sonja Burpo, as told by Colton Burpo
Illustrated by Wilson Ong
A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

I still have chills after reading this book. After hearing so much about the #1 New York Times bestseller Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo, I was thrilled at the opportunity to review this version for children, as told by Colton Burpo. If you aren't familiar with this story, little Colton visited Heaven during life-threatening emergency surgery and returned with intricate, Biblically-accurate details about his experience.

First of all, the illustrations in this book are absolutely breathtaking. The colors are so vibrant, and artist Wilson Ong made the story come alive in a way that will capture the minds and hearts of young readers.

Admittedly, I was a little skeptical. I would imagine that a lot of people are pretty hesitant to believe this story. But, now that I've read the children's version, I will be reading the grown-up version--immediately.

The part of the story that really struck me was that in Heaven, Colton was greeted by his older sister, who (lost in a miscarriage) he didn't even know existed. I realize that some people are doubtful, but you really must read this book for yourself. The book also comes with a Q&A section and a guide for parents.

Heaven is For Real for Kids is written in Colton's own words about his experience. Young kids will easily be able to grasp Colton's simple phrasing and descriptions, and once again, each page is illustrated beautifully. The message of love will surely bring peace, comfort, and joy to all who read it.

As a parent, I highly, highly recommend this book for all children and expectant parents!

I received a complimentary hardback copy of this book from the publisher through BookSneeze®.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven for Kids, November 9, 2011
Many readers will have heard of the original book Heaven is For Real, which though told by the young Colton Burpo, is written for adults. This is the picture book version for children, the story of a young boy who visited heaven while his parents were in the hospital waiting room, fearing for his life.
It is a beautiful story told in absolute innocence. And yet, Colton Burpo's descriptions mirror much of what is told in scripture, as noted on each page. It is also fascinating to note the family members he met there, who he'd never known before, and how they were just what his parents knew them to be.
This is a very nice platform in which to teach your child about heaven--from someone who knows and can relate to them on their own level. Additionally, I greatly appreciated the added notes from Colten's parents, Todd and Sonja Burpo, which further illuminates the reader on the topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Heaven is for Real" for Kids as told by Colton Burpo, October 27, 2011
I was recently given the opportunity to review "Heaven is for REAL" for kids, as told by Colton Burpo to his Parents, Todd and Sonja Burpo.

This is a a children's book and is the story of a 4 year old child's trip to heaven and back. This is a boy named, Colton Burpo's, real life story that he told his mom and dad after he was ill and experienced going to heaven, but came back. This book is written on a level that children understand. I like that this is told by the child because it makes it easier for children to relate to the author.

The book itself is amazing. I sat down with my daughter and fell in love with Colton's book. It is so neat that a child wrote this. I like that Colton gives the reader a clear picture of what happened to him when he went to heaven. I enjoyed the pictures and so did my children. It helped them understand things more too. This is a great book for kids and teaches children all about heaven, but does it on their level. I personally loved that the descriptions of heaven were so detailed and I find it amazing that this was done by a child! I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars There's something special about this book ..., November 10, 2011
and it's because it captures little kids attention and makes them imagine what Heaven is like. It makes them think about what it will be like to see Jesus and it reminds them how much He loves them. What's wrong with that? Nothing. People in other reviews are tearing the book apart because of a rainbow colored mane on a horse and the fact all the people in Heaven have halos and wings, and though I may not think that's the way it's going to be, does it really matter? If this book interests kids in Heaven and raises questions about how to get there, isn't that the purpose? We have no way of knowing if anyone has ever seen Heaven, so we have no way of knowing who's version is correct and who's isn't, but I think any book that makes kids think about Jesus is worth it. My six year old got misty eyed looking at the painting of Jesus in the back of the book! This isn't a book written for debating adults who scrutinize everything. It's for a child's heart and reaches them on their level. And honestly, who truly cares if there are no horses in Heaven with a rainbow mane, but there is in this book? Read it to your kids and open up discussions about Heaven!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, October 30, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - but not for a child after a death, December 4, 2012
Our daughter was gifted this book as my grandmother was dying. My grandmother was more of a mother to me, and my daughter who is almost 5 was incredibly close to her. A well meaning friend gifted us this book and we shared it with our daughter. While the story beautifully depicted heaven and showed our daughter what a beautiful and loving place heaven is - the little boy comes back. Our daughter was convinced for weeks that her great grandmother would go to heaven and then get to come back too - it was devastating to deal with.

I think in the context of teaching a child a concept of heaven it is a good book, but our copy will never see the light of day again - our daughter still asks why that boy got to come back and her grandma didn't. It's opened up some interesting dialogue for us with her, but I also think it's been harder on her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to the regular version!, October 31, 2011
Heaven Is For Real For Kids is by Colton Burpo, as told to his parents Todd and Sonja Burpo. It is an account of Colton's trip to heaven when he was four years old.

This Summer I read Heaven Is For Real (the adult version) aloud to the family. The kids LOVED it. We laughed. We cried. We had many great discussion about death and heaven. It was so timely because in the Spring my great-grandmother passed away and in June my grandfather passed away. Right after that my grandmother went into Hospice care. She passed away in September. So, death and heaven is a regular topic of conversation around here lately--a rather heavy subject for little children.

We all enjoyed the regular Heaven Is For Real so much that I was actually hesitant to even order to kids' version. I'm not one to think that kids need a dumbed-down version of most literature. However, the kids and I were delighted with this book. In fact, the little ones (the six year old, the four year old, and the two year old) have been reading it often for their daily devotional time. The big kids (the ten year old, the nine year old, and the seven year old) enjoy reading it to the little ones, too. The pictures are beautiful and engaging. I think it's been comforting to them when they are missing their grandparents. The book has all the innocence and beauty of the regular version without changing any of Colton Burpo's vision of heaven.

However, I don't think that this book for kids replaces the regular version. I am glad that my kids have experienced both. I would encourage parents to read the regular to their children and have the picture book available for discussions and devotional time. They are a good set when used together. I wouldn't use this separate from the other.

(I received a copy of this book for free from Thomas Nelson's BookSneeze Program. I was not paid for my review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Story to share with kids, October 30, 2011
Heaven is for Real for Kids, as told by Colton Burpo to his parents Todd and Sonja Burpo, is a must read for parents and children alike. In this beautifully illustrated depiction of Colton Burpo's story children of all ages can be fascinated by his story. If you are unfamiliar with Colton's story let me give you a brief summary. Colton is a little boy who suffered a ruptured appendix which went misdiagnosed as the stomach flu. He ends up having to undergo emergency surgery and while he is in surgery he goes to Heaven and visits Jesus. At first no one believes him but when he begins to tell details on what people were doing while he was undergoing surgery- his parents begin to take notice.

I had the pleasure to read the adult version of the same book and I am glad that they came out with a version for kids. It gives kid a chance to know that Heaven is not a scary place but a place of love, joy, and peace.

Paired with Bible verses, Heaven is for Real for Kids is a great book to share with children to show them that yes we are sad when someone dies but we will see them again. I read this book with Gracie, my 9 year old. She loved the pictures and she could sort of know what Colton was going through with her brief hospital stay a few weeks ago. I am glad that I was given the chance to review this book and to share it with my daughter.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely LOVED this book!!!!!, October 25, 2011
Jenn R "JRiale" (Binghamton, PA USA) - See all my reviews
After hearing numerous reports of how wonderful Heaven is for Real was, I promptly went out and bought it. My six-year old son saw it and was also very excited about it. I did start to read it to him, but I felt as if some of the information was over his head or just not something I wanted to get into with him yet. Then, I heard about Heaven is for Real for Kids. I was hoping that this was a book that I could read to my kids that would satisfy the desire they had to know about Colton's experience in Heaven. We were all very pleased; the book did not disappoint.

There were so many things that I really liked about this book. First of all, there are scripture verses on every page. They correlate with the information shared about Colton's visit to Heaven on that same double page spread. I like how the Burpos showed that what Colton was saying did indeed tie in with the Word of God, as it should. Secondly, the illustrations are absolutely stunning. Wilson Ong did a fantastic job of portraying Colton's visit to Heaven. Thirdly, this book was so reassuring. My three-year old daughter smiled and mentioned how she thought Heaven seemed so nice. I want my children to long for the day when we'll all be there. So much mystery surrounds it sometimes, and I think this book gently met my children's desire to know more about it...at their own level.

A section in the back of the book has a question/answer type format related to the book. I think this section gave my children additional important information.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. I think as many children as possible should read it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Biblical? Doubtful., December 1, 2011
I wasn't sure what to make of this e-book when I requested to review it through Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze program. While I do believe in Heaven and that our Lord resides there I'm not sure where I stand on people who have near death experiences, go to Heaven, wake up and claim to have seen Heaven and tell of it's glories. I'm not saying that I don't believe their son was very ill and did indeed die and was revived, what I do question is how Biblical it all is.

I have not read the adult version so I'm going on just what I know from reading this children's version. The illustrations were beautiful, even if they were in black and white on my e-copy, but again I was just left with an uneasy feeling after reading it. Even with the Scripture through out the book I just didn't feel comfortable with it and won't read it to my children, although I may allow my 9 year old to read it. Again while it wasn't a horrible book, I just couldn't see myself reading this to a child who may take it all as fact, one should be mature in their faith before reading this book, in my humble opinion.

**I was provided a copy of this e-book from Thomas Nelson in exchange for my honest opinion, no other compensation was given.

$14.99 $9.09