5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVEN IS FOR REAL FOR KIDS
HEAVEN IS FOR REAL FOR KIDS by Todd and Sonja Burpo, as told by Colton Burpo
Illustrated by Wilson Ong
A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

I still have chills after reading this book. After hearing so much about the #1 New York Times bestseller Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo, I was thrilled at the opportunity to review...
Published on October 28, 2011 by IntentionalMomma

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice book
Heaven is for Real for kids is a good book to read with children who have questions about heaven. I'm not going to debate if I think Colton actually went to heaven, but I appreciate the scripture on each page of the book. The pictures are beautiful and captivated my daughter. I think this book would be appropriate for preschool and elementary children.
Published on October 30, 2011 by Tiff

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Biblical? Doubtful., December 1, 2011
This review is from: Heaven is for Real for Kids: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back (Hardcover)
I wasn't sure what to make of this e-book when I requested to review it through Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze program. While I do believe in Heaven and that our Lord resides there I'm not sure where I stand on people who have near death experiences, go to Heaven, wake up and claim to have seen Heaven and tell of it's glories. I'm not saying that I don't believe their son was very ill and did indeed die and was revived, what I do question is how Biblical it all is.

I have not read the adult version so I'm going on just what I know from reading this children's version. The illustrations were beautiful, even if they were in black and white on my e-copy, but again I was just left with an uneasy feeling after reading it. Even with the Scripture through out the book I just didn't feel comfortable with it and won't read it to my children, although I may allow my 9 year old to read it. Again while it wasn't a horrible book, I just couldn't see myself reading this to a child who may take it all as fact, one should be mature in their faith before reading this book, in my humble opinion.

**I was provided a copy of this e-book from Thomas Nelson in exchange for my honest opinion, no other compensation was given.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review for Heaven is for Real for Kids, November 5, 2011
Heaven is for Real for Kids is a very good book. I had already read the adult version and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. This book is written as if little Colton is telling the story. He is very clear and excited about what he remembers from his visit to heaven.

I wanted this book for my daughter. She is 18 years old but has regressed back to a small child. Heaven and God really fascinate her right now so when I showed her this book she was thrilled. I read it to her and all throughout the book she would point things out or ask a question. She learned many new things from this book. At the end of the book there is a FAQ section that answered a lot of her questions. I personally loved the art work in the book, but she didn't care for it. She said she would rather see things drawn more clearly.

I also loved the book...probably just as much as my daughter. As a mother I think it is very important to show our children how wonderful heaven will be. So many times my children have said that heaven sounds boring and they aren't sure they will enjoy it once they get there. After reading this book I highly doubt that will be the case!

I received a copy of "Heaven is for Real for Kids" from booksneeze.com

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book that Will Open Your Eyes, October 24, 2011
This book was written from young Colton Burpo's experience. He was very ill and in the hospital.Colton died and went to heaven.Colton returned to his Earthly body and has grown into a healthy young man. This story was the memories of his visit to heaven . He told them to his parents who wrote the book. (Note at the end of the book an illustration of Jesus that a young girl drew with Colton's approval of the image.)

If you are a Christian and you teach your child about God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, then this book is an important one to share. In a child's voice, Colton tells about heaven. He tells what he saw, what he did, the happiness and the love he experienced, and especially the love that Jesus and God have for children and all people. You can feel the sense of love and hope for those who believe and will eventually join God in heaven.

I believe this book is a worthwhile addition to a family's home library of Christian books. Take note on each page are accompanying scripture references which directly relate to the text. There is a question and answer section at the end of the book with Colton. I know you and your family will enjoy this beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE book for Young Children!, October 12, 2011
I was so excited to see that this book was being released! I have read "Heaven is for Real" and absolutely LOVED it. It is a wonderful true story about a young boy who fell gravely ill and had the opportunity to visit heaven and return to tell about it. The detailed story is remarkable. My twelve year old and neighbor's daughter who is ten became enthralled in the book. NOW it's available to children even younger.

The book highlights the most amazing parts of Colton Burpo's story. Not only does it reveal details of what Heaven is like, but each portion of what he observed is followed by Scripture that backs up his experience. Everything he experienced is found in Scripture. I LOVED the content that was chosen and the illustrations were well done as well. At the end of the book there are many questions with answers that young readers will find interesting and faith provoking. I would absolutely HIGHLY recommend this book!!

* I received this book for free in exchange for my unbiased review through the Thomas Nelson BookSneeze Program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great children's version of an amazing true story, April 6, 2014
We read the full length book and decided to get this version for our grandchildren. They really enjoyed reading and having it read to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars God Loves us!, April 8, 2014
This is a short story that is perfect for kids to read. The pictures were amazing and beautiful to see! This was fun to share with my kids.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for Real, but is this Story?, October 27, 2011
Heaven is for Real for Kids as told by Colton Burpo to his parents is the true story of a 3-year-old boy who had an experience during emergency surgery in which his parents believed he went to heaven. He then began to tell his parents everything he saw in heaven, including his grandfather who died before Colton's birth and his miscarried sister, who he knew nothing about.

This is a fascinating story, if it is true. Some things don't really sit right with me when reading this story. First of all, Colton the book does not say Colton died. It said he closed his eyes and went to heaven. Upon further research on the internet, I discovered that the hospital report never shows he died.

In my opinion, Colton was extremely verbal if he said all of this at age three. Not that he couldn't have, but some of the things he reportedly said, such as, "No one needs glasses or wheelchairs" and "there are angels and people worshiping God" are pretty astute observations/statements for a three year old. To me, it sounds like he may have repeated things that he heard his preacher dad say.

In addition, his dad writes in the preface, "You may be surprised to find some details in this book that were not included in the 'grown-up' book. Colton actually shared so many memories that not all of them could be written in just one book." Really? They couldn't all fit in the "grown-up" version of Heaven is Real? Sounds to me more like dad is adding to the story to make it better for the kids book.

Another thing, this happened to Colton at age 3 and he is now 12. This book was nine years in the making?

It seems to me that this child of a preacher, heard stories over and over again about what heaven was like, and then during a drug induced haze had a dream about it. When he woke, he told his dream. Upon more and more questioning, he may have felt the need to have answers and made up things to please his parents. They say he did not know about his mother's miscarriage. I am one who always says that children hear and see more than we realize. Certainly, it was possible that he overheard about her miscarriage from someone. I suspect that his parents also talked about his grandfather in trying to keep his memory alive. It is a well documented fact that when questioned, children often try to answer what they believe the adult wants to hear.

Maybe this is a preacher trying to make a quick buck off his kid's story or maybe he really believes that his son went to heaven. Maybe there is truth to it, but I question the validity of all of all of it. Another thing I see as bothersome is that I have not seen anywhere that any of the proceeds of this book are going to any type of charity.

All that said, it is a cute book that talks about heaven being a wonderful place. No one really knows what heaven is like and even I, too, try to depict heaven as a wonderful place for my children. I look at it somewhat like a parable, we have to make up something to get the message across. The depiction of heaven being a wonderful, fun place with all our deceased family members is fine with me. My girls enjoyed the book and the illustrations.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review. This review contains my honest opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven Is For Real for Kids by Colton Burpo, November 1, 2011
A while ago I read Heaven Is For Real, the whole story. I was so in love with the book that I recommended it to everyone and let my friends borrow it. Recently I talked to the Kids' Church kids about it and they hung on every word, that's how I knew I needed to get this book as well.

This book highlights some of the most interesting things from the full book, and then illustrates them with awesome pictures and easy to read sentences for the kids. It's very easy for children to use and read.

I really loved this book, especially the frequently asked questions at the end. My only complaint would be I wish that it were longer! It only touches upon the stories and doesn't really go into the other stories I was interested in. Overall, this book is going to be perfect for use in Children's Ministry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for Real for kids, November 5, 2011
I absolutely LOVED this book, so much that I had one neighbor read it, my husband to read it, and I read it over the phone to my mom. I especially loved the art work in this book and the detail was amazing. Colton is a very special little boy to have had the opportunity to meet Jesus and to remember the things that he has, and the story matches up to Scripture to a T! Amazingly written and well worth the read!
I rate this book a 5 !!
By the way my 5 year old Olivia LOVES the pictures and the story she has asked me many things since I read this to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true unspiration, unlike our family's story., April 1, 2014
Amazorro (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This book was a true inspiration and I wish my family's experience could match it. In the aftermath of a horrible auto accident my son, Will, was declared dead for six minutes. But unlike young Coloon, when my son was sent back he said heaven was unbelievably hot and smelled horrible and that Jesus kept poking him with a pointed stick. The Lord works in mysterious ways ... I guess.

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›