5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable gaming experience
Published on January 2, 2008 by Lance Ortiz

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't age well
I have just finished this game. It took maybe 7 hrs? But considering how shallow the combat and gameplay is, I guess thats a good thing.

I am a big action fan junkie, and I played and loved Ninja Gaiden 1&2, Devil May Cry, and all God of War games. So I was pretty excited for this.

The cutscenes are terrible. The voice acting is overdone, and made me...
Published on March 1, 2010 by Ng Wangqing Andrew

5.0 out of 5 stars A memorable gaming experience, January 2, 2008
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Heavenly Sword is truly an amazing and entertaining experience. My brother and I rented this game and played thorough it in 2 nights. It probably took us about 8-10 hours to get through since some of the bosses were a little tricky. What stood out to me the most about this game was its production value. I have never seen acting so good in a game before, and not just the voice overs. You really began to love the heroes in the game and truly hate the villains, one in particular. Much of this level of quality was due to Andy Serkis (Lord of the Rings' Gollum, King Kong) who headed up the motion capture and voice recording as well as playing the part of the main antagonist in the game, King Bohan.

Everything was done so well down to the smallest detail, the level of quality was outstanding. The game looked great in game and during the cut seans. There were many moments where we had to stop playing and just take in the beautiful landscape. This is definitely a game to show off your PS3 system, I like the rope running sequence myself.

The game play was also top notch. It focuses mostly on melee combat and shooting. There is no real platforming to speak of. Switching between different fighting styles (speed, ranged, and strong) and performing counters was innovative and a lot of fun. As were the shooting sequences using the sixaxis to guide arrows and cannon balls were fun as well and a great use of the technology. Overall the controls were tight and worked very well for this type of game.

I would have to say that Heavenly Sword is up there with my most memorable gaming experiences and is truly an amazing game. If you own a PS3 you owe it to your self to buy or at least rent this game. You won't be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, original games on the PS3 yet, September 11, 2007
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Could it be that the Playstation 3 is finally getting some exclusive, must own games? Heavenly Sword, the eagerly anticipated hack & slasher from Sony, may look as if it's a toned down God of War, but don't let that fool you. Boasting some incrediblely mouth watering graphics and superb controls, Heavenly Sword puts you in the role of Nariko: a female warrior who wields said sword and takes down hordes of enemies in the process. While this may sound like it'll get boring after a while (like many games of the genre do), Heavenly Sword manages to keep things pretty fresh by implementing different play styles, playable characters, and puzzle elements as well. The game also boasts some incredible production values, excellent music and sound effects, great voice acting, and entertaining cinematics and story as well. The only real negative to Heavenly Sword is that the game is quite short. It won't take you long to get through the game (you could beat it in an afternoon if you so desired), and though there are a nice selection of unlockables and extras to find as well, the replay factor isn't very high here. Not to mention that the puzzle elements aren't anything we haven't seen before either, but these negatives don't take away the fact that Heavenly Sword is one of the best, original games to hit the PS3 yet. All in all, Heavenly Sword is a fun blast while it lasts, and needless to say, if you own a PS3, this is one of the games you've been waiting to get your hands on since you purchased the console.

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 hours Long...SO WHAT!?!?, September 19, 2007
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Game Review: Heavenly Sword (PS3)

OMG!! If I hear one more person complain about the length of this game I swear I am going to scream!! First off let me address the fact. It is obvious to me that people complained about the length, because the game is so FRIGGN SWEET and they wanted more. I simply adore the fact that this game is so short, I have a job and family of four and only get to sit and play games for maybe an hour or two here and there. Why do people put such of an emphasis on the length of a game? Saying things like "for $60 this game should be longer". No game IMO is worth 60 bucks, but that is what they charge. I don't feel justified when I spend 60 bucks on a game and it is 20+ hours long. I feel justified by how the game impressed me or how I felt after I finished it. Did I have a memorable experience and maybe how much replay value is there? Heavenly Sword addresses all these questions, with an astounding YES. The only game I have ever played twice that was 20+ hours long was Final Fantasy 7. Otherwise with most longer games I was so glad it was over, that I wouldn't dare go through it again. With short games you can play them over and over be glad you like say Resident Evil. If you want to complain about the price tag, just complain about the price tag!! But please don't place a negative on a game just because it is a little shorter than others. Simply put I would pay 60 bucks for this masterpiece faster than any 20+ hour game I can think of.

Now that I am off my soapbox, let me just say that this game is probably the best entertainment experience I have had in a long time. I say entertainment, because this game is like participating in a karate movie with a great story. It immediately pulls you into its wonderful cinematic story. This game is a crowning achievement from beginning to end. Please do not compare this game to God of War or Prince of Persia, both are great in there own respect, but Heavenly sword destroys them. Both God of War and Prince of Persia are platformers at the core and Heavenly sword is not. You can not jump which some say is a negative, but in that same respect you don't have to worry about falling off any cliffs either.

Yes I will say it Heavenly Sword is the most beautiful game I have ever played, from the cinematic cut-scenes, to the very intense battles. The developers definitely took their time doing this one right! Every battle is like watching Uma Thurman in Kill Bill dispatch a room full of enemies. While this might sound monotonous, the style in which Nariko dispatches of her enemies makes me wish they just kept coming. Blocks, counter attacks, combos, ability to pick things up and hurl them at enemies, and last but not least those GORGEOUS finishing moves are what makes the battles such a joy. I think what I liked most about the game is that it never felt like a straight button mashing affair, you'll actually need to time your blocks, attacks and counters.

Don't think it is all fighting though; alternatively you'll get to play as Kai. Kai is the ultimate fight from a distance companion. And with her comes one of the games BEST gimmicks. The "aftertouch" system, which I ABSOLUTELY loved, allows you to slow down time and aim the arrows with the Sixaxis controller. It does take some practice and you need a gentle touch to make sure the controller is level before firing. Once you get the hang of it though, guiding an arrow's path directly into the skull of an enemy never ever gets old.

The game isn't perfect. I found the button-pressing sections of the game where you have to hit a certain button when it pops up on screen very distracting. Heavenly sword engrosses you so much into the story that I just wanted to watch the cinematic experiences not actually participate in them, so I was constantly mistiming things. There weren't many sections like this, but I wouldn't have missed them if they were gone.

Bottom line: This is the game that will remind you why you wanted a PS3 in the first place. If you own a PS3 or have a friend who has a PS3, you MUST play this game. If you don't have access to a PS3 you are seriously missing out on one of the gaming industries masterpieces. Sure there are other great games on other systems that are outstanding. Heavenly Sword though, will have you thinking about it when you aren't playing it and that is what makes a gaming masterpiece. Whether you rent or buy is really irrelevant JUST PLAY IT!! Yeah it may be only about 6 hours or so long, but soon as I get the chance I am going to play through it again, yeah it is that good. With as many games as I have played through my life, I can't remember the last game I actually wanted to play through a second time. Oh yeah I can Final Fantasy 7 (September 1997)

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any better than this on ANY system!, September 28, 2007
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First, let me address the complaints you'll see in a couple of the other reviews.

"It's just a hack and slash game!"
Yes, it is possible to hack and slash your way through most of the game. Not until the later bosses do you actually have to master blocks, reversals, counter-attacks, etc. BUT, all of these elements ARE part of the game. If you CHOOSE to simply hack and slash through it...well, it's just that. Your choice. It actually has a very in-depth combat system and combo system. You definitely won't unlock all of the items by simply hacking and slashing, and you won't have as much fun. You'll miss all the great reversal animation and special moves. Hacking and slashing through this game would be like going to a fine restaurant, ordering the steak, then eating it with your bare hands and wiping your hands on your shirt. Yes, you COULD do it, but would you?

"The aftertouch is flawed. The sixaxis is forced on you."
Yes, the missions where you use the sixaxis motion sensing take some getting used to. But, they are by no means impossible. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite fun. It took me a while, but by midway through the game, I was playing a crossbow mission and got 5 headshots in a row. And for those of you that can't quite get the hang of it, you can turn it off, and just use the analog stick.

"It's too hard to switch styles back and forth while so many people are attacking you at once!"
Okay, at this point, you're just whining. You use one button to switch between speed and power stances, you either hold it or you don't. You're actually complaining because the game has some degree of difficulty?

"Sometimes the enemies just constantly block."
True. It happens. That's why certain combos are block-breakers. They will land even if the enemy is always blocking. This is one of the rewards of not simply hacking and slashing your way through the game.

"The game is too short!"
Yes, if you're a hardcore gamer, you can probably finish this game in 6-8 hours. Most people aren't hardcore gamers. Most people sit down and play for an hour here and an hour there. Honestly, I'd rather have a fantastic game (which this IS) that gives me 6 hours of game play over a mediocre game that gives me 20. And it's not like you'll play this game for 6 hours and toss it. You can quickly hack and slash through in 6 hours. Or you can play it, enjoy it, revel in it. Learn the combo system. Learn the counter-attacks. Learn the special moves. Have some FUN with it. And the game still has replay value. I finished it a few days ago, but I enjoyed it so much, I'm playing through again on normal mode to try to collect all the items (which is much harder than I thought). And after that, there's still the HELL mode that was unlocked when I beat it.

And I didn't even get started on how great this game is. Incredible graphics. A story that completely grabs you. Fantastic voice acting and character development. It really is like an interactive movie. You'd be doing yourself a disservice to miss this game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't age well, March 1, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

The cutscenes are terrible. The voice acting is overdone, and made me cringe. Worst yet, some are unskippable. Aside from Nariko and Kai, pretty much everyone is very dislikable, from the villagers who hate you to the villians who have the worst lines I ever heard in a video game. Story is straight forward and medicore. Developers have already annouced there will be no sequel, so those that do like a continuation of the story will be disappointed.
Combat was fun at first, but I quickly realise how bad it is. There are really only 2 type of combos, ones that break shields and ones that don't. You will be mindlessly mashing buttons like crazy and randomly. I took out the final boss with the same combo I was using the whole game. There is a counter system, but it is hard to counter something if you are not in the right stance, and you will end up taking alot of cheap hits. When you fight you build meter so you can do an ultimate attack that looks very cool, but since there are 7 of these, they quickly become boring to watch. Sometimes enemies will even block the animation so you can't see it.
Roughly half the game you are shooting stuff like cannons and bows. You can steer them using the sixaxis or analog sticks. Motion control sucks in this game, analog still gives more control. But this steering becomes old really fast and I started to think why I am doing this in a hack and slash game? It is just there to mask the shallowness of the sword combat. I prefer depth in my combat.
Graphics are pretty good at the time, but doesn't hold a candle to more recent games. I can't really blame the developers for that. The concept art looks really beautiful, but the ingame action doesn't convey that. Sound is decent. Checkpoint system is totally thoughtless. If I die, I have to go back to the start, and watch a long unskippable annoying cut scene.
My advice is to skip this game, and play something else. You can probably find this used for $20+, but even at that price I don't find this game to be worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rent don't buy, November 12, 2007
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This is actually a great game. It has nonstop action all the way through. Unlike most games you don't bored doing the samething over again. If I had the oppurtunity to buy this game again i wouldn't. This game ends fast and is not worth the 60 bucks that you will pay for it. It's great for those long weekends that you sit and play. I would have rented it if i had the chance to. I hope this review helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short but good Lord is it sweet!, September 23, 2007
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
First let me state that Heavenly Sword is NOT God of War. It's NOT Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, or any other game of similar vein. Do not play this game expecting it to be like said titles.

The Good: Graphics. Absolutely amazing, and the cut scenes are mindblowing. They really outdid themselves in this department. They shot for an interactive cinematic experience and they completely nailed it. Animations are smooth as butter. This will surely raise the bar for other companies in the future.

Combat. This game focuses on counter attacks and combo moves. It's not about button mashing. When I originally played the demo released on PSN I was a little disappointed, but it was because I went around playing it the wrong way. Once you learn what you're doing it's a joy to play.

Audio. Sound effects were well done and fitting, and the music was great. The voice acting was phenomenal, although there seemed to be a rather drastic difference in accents, etc. This did not take away from its enjoyment.

Story. Entertaining all the way through. You get to really like the characters, even the bad ones. The story is not breaking any new ground, but it's well done.

Now for the Bad: Graphics. As I said before, they are terrific. Unfortunately there are times when the frame rate stutters, even during cut scenes. There is also screen tearing which gets rather annoying, but doesn't detract from the enjoyment or game play.

Length: It's been said before, but it's because it's true. The game is short. Very short. Between 5 to 7 hours. There seems to be some re playability, as you can go through again on Hell Mode, as well as trying to collect all 3 glyphs for every stage you've previously done.

To PS3 owners: This is a must buy, I can't stress it enough. Even though it lacks length, it's a terrific game all the way through. A great way to justify the purchase of your PS3.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 MUST HAVE, September 30, 2007
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Since i first saw the preview videos and followed the HS story trough the weekly PSN videos, i knew i had to play this game.

I wasnt wrong, game is s amazing i have nothing else to say that is a movie turned to a game.

Simple but heart robbing story, perfectly designed and developed characters from Kai, Nariko, even Bohan all dialogues and face emotions are exquisite and heart pounding.

I guess the game is short becouse there is no need to force a 60+ hours that would have kill the movie lik escence. No forced simple bad guys to kill on numerous never ending sites, no overwhelming 20+ bosses everything is well paced and done

SONY and Ninja Theory have a winner here!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Sword is worth Renting, December 6, 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I bought Heavenly Sword the day it came out. While at the time, it was one of the best games graphically for PS3, it definately did not live up to my expectations.

The gameplay is repetitive and SHORT. The movies were pretty long and it did seem like we were watching a movie intercut with some short gameplay. The enemies were easy enough to pick up with a couple favorite combos, and the bosses were easy once you figured out the pattern to their attacks. All in all, if your a good gamer or even an average gamer, this game will last you all of one sitting, plus a few hours for the last boss, because he is irratatingly hard, unlike how the game was up until that point.

I'm not saying that the game wasn't impressive, as it had expansive environments. It just seemed like I was seeing the same things over and over again. The backgrounds were nice, but it wasn't like you got to go see them.

All in all. I'm not sad that I own this game, but after beating it, I doubt I'll pick it up and play it again. Most of the game is watching the movie and once you've seen it, there really is no desire to keep playing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Retrospective: Unpolished, January 27, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Heavenly Sword / 711719813224 / B000K9OP2A

Disclaimer: This review is written for people who haven't bought / played this game but are considering doing so now that the game is older and slightly cheaper than the newest stuff out there. Thus, this is an "as is" review, not an "as was" review, hence the "retrospective" perspective.

"Heavenly Sword" is a very pretty game, with an interesting setting and intriguing backstory. The story is well-told, through many interesting and lovely cutscenes, and I think it is probably safe to say that this remains one of the most attractive and visually polished games on the PS3, which is doubly impressive considering that this is also one of the earliest titles on the system.

Having said that, I do wish a bit more polish had been spent on the game mechanics overall, as graphics and story can only go so far to forgive a clunky play system, particularly in a hack'n'slash adventure game. The control system in regular combat is... adequate. It does feel a little too much like "smash every button on the control and hope for the best" and less like finesse and timing is appreciated, but eventually it does start to feel like skill is appreciated (particularly via fatality moves) over stamina. Although when some of the armored baddies show up, it does feel like your fingers are in danger of falling off at times.

Most of my frustration, however, comes with the addition of what I would call gimmicky gameplay. Several sections require the use of the Sixaxis controller to guide arrows and cannonballs towards their targets. I, personally, have never been a fan of the Sixaxis, as I feel that the controller is just too sensitive to the slightest movements in some regards (as in, oh, I accidentally moved the control ever-so-slightly off-level, so OF COURSE that means I wanted my cannonball to swing giddily off into the ether), and completely insensitive to certain deliberate movements in other regards (look, I'm tilting left! LEFT! What's wrong with this thing?). I'm not a big fan of movement-sensitive gameplay period, as I tend to have shaky hands, and flat-out requiring it in gameplay to get past a level is kind of frustrating for me. Now, I know that some people love the Sixaxis and if you're one of them, that's great, but if you're like me - well, now you know that at least one level in "Heavenly Sword" requires Sixaxis control, and be forewarned.

The other facet I don't much care for in "Heavenly Sword" is the preponderance of quicktime events. Now, given an infinite number of "do overs", I don't mind quicktime events so much at the start of a chapter if it's an adventure interlude - I can play Simon Says with the best of them, so if I really MUST press X-0-L-R-U-D-X-X before I can be let into the chapter, well so be it. But "Heavenly Sword" also uses quicktime events as 'finishing moves' for boss battles, and if you fail to get the sequence perfectly correct, the boss gains all his hitpoints back, and that is annoying. Add into the fact that restarting the battle on your part means wading through dozens of red-shirts before you can even GET to the boss, then you beat him down low enough to trigger the quicktime event, and THEN you must get a perfect sequence of buttons or he regenerates all his health for no adequately explained reason, and it's just frustrating.

Action/adventure brawlers are not, I admit, for everyone. They're not my usual genre-of-choice, probably because I'm not very good at them, and "Heavenly Sword" certainly felt more like 'work' than 'play' for me. Someone more experienced and appreciative of the genre would no doubt feel differently. I did appreciate the stunning graphics and interesting story, but because the story so frequently felt walled off by the Sixaxis and QTE gimmicks, I eventually lost interest in the game despite the story. I would recommend checking out "Heavenly Sword" if you know you're already a fan of the genre, but if you're not already an action/adventure fan, "Heavenly Sword" probably won't make a convert out of you.

~ Ana Mardoll

Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3
Heavenly Sword - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$59.99 $43.99