5.0 out of 5 stars For the price... absolutely!
Published 14 months ago by Jay Mittener

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Product
Published 20 months ago by photogtony

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price... absolutely!, July 11, 2013
This review is from: Heavy Duty Light Stand SANDBAG HEAVYDUTY SADDLEBAG DESIGN 4 BAGS HOLDS 20LBS OF SAND NEW 4YELL (Camera)
I purchased these sandbags after losing, well, more than one umbrella to a gust of wind. I didn't think there would be too much to sandbags, but I was wrong. I got these because they were the right price, I won't lie. I'm cheap. Upon opening them up, my worst fears hit me. I had read a few reviews about the questionable zippers, but basically ignored them. Upon opening my FIRST bag, the zipper was pulled half way across but open at both ends. Ugh. Not a good start.

This is probably the part where you expect me to continue with the bad news, but I'm sorry to say there is none. The zipper went back into place with absolutely minimal effort and has been sturdy ever since. These actually have dual zippers (they overlap, going in opposite directions) which disperses the weight of the sand evenly thus reducing the strain on them. Several reviews here state that you should put the sand in zip lock bags before putting them in here, and to me that is just common sense. I didn't try them without the ziplock bags, so I can't speak to how they could be but I can almost assure you that a minimal amount of sand would leak out if they were upside down. I'm pretty anal about how clean my car is, so I didn't bother to find out.

The rest of the bag is extremely well build and sturdy. The canvas is thick, the handles are double sewn and strong, and the "trouble" zippers seem to be wonderfully strong.

You could spend more, but why would you?

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Product, January 24, 2013
Complete waste of money! I've gotten less than 6 months of use out of these. I lost one in the first month when it split open after being dropped from less than 2 feet. A month later the handle ripped off and due to poor design all the sand poured out. Now two months later I've lost a third bag due to a rip in the weak point in the handle. I'm not even waiting for the 4th bag to go, I've already tossed them and I'm buying new bags from somewhere else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't use actual sand, apparently., October 21, 2013
I usually don't write reviews, to be honest. I just go off of others' experiences and get the benefit of their first-hand knowledge. I felt compelled to share my opinion on this one. This item was a total disappointment. I'm a amateur photographer looking to expand beyond natural lighting. I thought I was a purist (light) but I have since discovered how amazing strobist photography is. I found a great deal on a strobist kit (two light stands, two translucent umbrellas, two reflectors) and realized that I would need to anchor my gear in this windy climate. Every photographer knows that sandbags are a great option to keep gear stabilized. Well these aren't sandbags. They're gravel bags. I am honestly surprised by all of the rave reviews of this item. If you use coarse gravel, you shouldn't have a problem with this bag, maybe.
Upon arrival I opened up the package and found that one of the four bags had a zipper pull missing from the outermost zipper. And the bag was zipped closed. Well, 3 of the 4 bags would still do the job that i needed, right? After a photo shoot today I packed up my gear and grabbed my sandbags. The bags were leaking out small amounts of sand. Seriously. Its really professional to leave sand all over your client's living-room. To verify that it was the bags that were leaking and not some stray sand that might have been trapped in a fold I very gently shook the bags (outside) and was dismayed to see that these act like giant salt shakers. No, I was not holding them upside down. I was just holding them by their handles. So I am presented with two options: return the crap bags and get something that will hold the sand inside (ie seam sealed or at least double stitched) or get a bunch of ziplock freezer gallon bags and use those inside of the current bags. I don't have access to river gravel or else I would try that. I hope this saves someone the headache that I had.

3.0 out of 5 stars 1 of 4 bags is ripped on day one of indoor use., May 1, 2014
Chet Lee (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The stitching on the handle of one of the bags opened, leaving the straps on the top and bottom of the bag loose. I've posted pictures.

The other bags seem to be fine. Since there is a sharp and rusted metal plate protruding from 1 bag, I will only be able to use 3 of the 4 bags unless I learn how to sew.

The other 3 bags are ok so far but I've only used them once, indoors. I think 3 stars is a stretch for 1/4 of the product failing but since I'm not returning it, 2 stars is probably too low.

I probably will not buy them again but I'll be ok with the product if the other 3 hold up.

2.0 out of 5 stars fine, May 30, 2013
do the job don't expect it to last long. the zippers and probably going to give out and get sand everywhere

3.0 out of 5 stars I have had to put Gaff Tape over the seam and this still does not work terrific! I would go with some sand bags that ..., September 29, 2014
I have been having problems with these sandbags. Since I had to fill them myself. This is clear by the description, they are shipped empty. I didn't think it would be a problem, but once I was able to get one of them up to 19.5 lbs, the stitched seam broke and now sand leaks out every time. I have had to put Gaff Tape over the seam and this still does not work terrific! I would go with some sand bags that come already filled, spend the money but save the hassle!

5.0 out of 5 stars I used pea gravel instead of sand works great very happy with purchase, July 11, 2014
I used pea gravel instead of sand works great very happy with purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars These are GRAVEL BAGS! Not sand bags, June 19, 2014
A. Lansky (Little Rock, AR, USA) - See all my reviews
Fill them with GRAVEL instead of sand & they are awesome. The material is tough & high-visibility because of the bright yellow stripes. They are not reflective, but quite obvious even in the dark. The double-zippers are not NASA-grade but should really only be opened once & closed once after the appropriate amount of gravel has been poured in.

If you try to fill these bags with sand then they will leak all over the place, but if you think about it, gravel is just really big pieces of sand!!! These bags are excellent for the price & the customer service with my order was just as good. Fast shipping, too.

Don't listen to the haters -- they just never heard of gravel before. I will be ordering more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty nice, May 28, 2014
I like these sand bags, handles feel solid and do not look like they will tear or fray -- the zippers on the other hand, not so sure about. At least the sand compartment is double zippered so even if one fails hopefully I won't end up leaking sand everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product!, May 24, 2014
I have a feeling these sandbags will be around in life for a longtime. A strong dependable product; especially for the price.