100%
Heavy Wait: A Strange Tale
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$9.95

on November 26, 2013
Okay, I, the author, if it's okay with Amazon, will start a discussion of 'Heavy Wait', which print-to-order PublishAmerica.com published in trade paperback and only recently added Amazon e-book availability. Around the first of next year, 'Heavy Wait' also will be available in Spanish, or so PA tells me.

The blog my Key West banker friend Todd German mentioned in his pre-review of 'Heavy Wait' is [...]

Key West resident and former Monroe County (Florida Keys] Mayor Shirley Freeman told me just yesterday, 11/24/2013, that she thought she would read 'Heavy Wait' because I wrote it and gave her a copy, but after she started reading it, she couldn't put it down; she loved it.

When she said, it really was all made up, wasn't it? I reminded her of the inscription:

"To Mayor Shirley Freeman, thank you for your longstanding service to the Florida Keys. None of this tale is true but the parts you believe are true :-)"

Shirley said again, it was all made up, wasn't it? I told her some stories from my life, which were similar enough to what the main characters in the tale experienced, to convince Shirley it might not be all made up.

I said, after the novel started falling me, three days after I'd dreamt of it but did not yet understand the dream, I had to travel two days from Key West to Helen, Georgia, to meet someone who would say something, which would explain the dream, I kept telling a woman I was getting to know in Helen that the book was being written by God, I was just taking dictation. I didn't tell the woman any details.

After six weeks, the novel was finished, I had it printed out and gave the woman a manuscript copy. After she read it, she told me the novel was written by God! Was should be in italics. I told Shirley the woman and I then became an item, but that was a different wild tale I didn't figure was time to go into. Shirley agreed.

Islamorada, Florida Keys resident Louise Wilson, whom I have known since I was 18 years old (I'm 71), wrote some time back:

"I ordered `Heavy Wait' about a month ago [from PA] and it arrived in the mail Friday. I finished it last night. Could hardly put it down and if my eyes had cooperated a little longer I could have gotten through it in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday. I enjoyed it very much, laughed out loud (heartily) many times and enjoyed the twists and turns and surprises. I think you should write another novel soon. And I can say, I would look forward to reading it. For now I think I will read, `Kill All The Lawyers.'"

'Kill all the Lawyers? - A Client's Guide to Hiring, Firing, Using and Suing Lawyers', now out of print but some used bookstores carry it, was my farewell to the practice of law. It killed a few clients, too. 'Heavy Wait' also kills a few lawyers and clients, although not in the same exact way.

Today, I told Ed Scales, a Key West lawyer just recently appointed to the Florida 3rd District Court of Appeals, that 'Heavy Wait' is set in Birmingham, Alabama (my home town) and in Port St. Joe and Apalachicola, Florida, and drags in Jeb and George Bush; and is about a lawyer who gets snatched by God and turned every which a way but loose, ditto for a woman he took a shine to; and although there are religious people in the tale, it is not religious and I will not be invited to speak at an annual Southern Baptist Convention gathering.

The launch poem on the first page goes:

Only fools rush in
where angels fear to tread,
but if there were no fools,
who'd lead the angels?

Hmmm, after I submitted all of that to Amazon, Key West's Psychiatrist Emeritus Jerry Weinstock, M.D., emailed me that 'Heavy Wait' sounded fascinating and he wanted a copy. I emailed back that I would drive a copy over to his home; I invented a psychiatrist for the early part of the tale, which I sort of liked. :-) Jerry told me a few months back, at one time he had treated all of the writers in Key West. I only heard of him early this year, 2013. How that happened over Key West bringing even bigger cruise ships than the sea and reef-killing monsters already calling on the city itself is a strange tale. Fighting that tooth and nail, fang and claw, Jerry and I both concluded we were dealing with lunatics, or worse.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Mostly I read for entertainment--lightweight stories soon forgotten. Occasionally I stumble on a heavyweight--my first novel was "Hatter's Castle" by A. J. Cronin. Read at aged twelve when I was still reading the "Famous Five" and "In the Fourth at Mallory Towers"--it was an epiphany in that, for the first time, I was introduced to realistic fiction and imperfect families. Last night I finished reading another literary heavyweight: Heavy Wait:A Strange Tale by Sloan Bashinsky.

At the start of the novel a visionary mystic and his lover, wife and kindred spirit win $14,000, 000. Winning the lottery might seem like a dream come true, but this pair has eschewed materialism. The windfall tests each partner's dedication to their beliefs.

Riley Strange, a pre-eminent lawyer invariably wins legal arguments, but he can't bring Mary-Lou round to his way of thinking. On the way back from collecting her winnings, she is killed in motor vehicle accident, leaving Riley with inconsolable grief and $14,000,000.

Cast out of his personal paradise, Riley spends time in the wilderness before meeting Willa Sue, a despondent, overweight woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Mary-Lou. They strike a bargain: Willa Sue agrees to live in Riley's home for twelve months, and halve her body weight. In return Riley promises to gift her the winnings, all fourteen million. Tempting eh? But is it wise to go off with a strange man, especially one who believes he's God?

"Heavy Wait" is a deep and engaging book about the spiritual awakening of a damaged young woman who has the great good fortune to meet an angel, overcomes evil and finds true love--we all should be as lucky!

"Heavy Wait: A Strange Tale" is available in kindle and paper at www.amazon.com, and in Spanish at www.amazon.com.es.
on December 6, 2013
Sloan Bashinsky's Heavy Wait: A Strange Tale resists the standard genre designations and expands on the artistic form of the novel. The novel contains elements of mystery, romance, and the spiritual, all coalescing together to create a unique and intriguing read. Writing in the first person can be tricky for an author to handle, but Bashinsky handles it like a professional. The author uses the first person viewpoint to craft an interesting main character and offer an intimate look into that life to readers. Throughout the book, it feels as though the main character is speaking directly to readers, showing them his story, rather than having readers experience the events at a remove. For this uniquely different kind of novel, the narration viewpoint works beautifully well.
on November 25, 2013
Another book from a true Key West legend. After years of read ing Sloan's daily missives on his blog, I ordered what I suspect is a semi autobigraphical novel from the most prolific writer I know.
A more complete review will follow once I finish the novel.